🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Scott Aukerman

QUESTIONS FOR SCOTT RE: HOWL

Well, this is interesting. I think it will have very minimal effect on how I consume Earwolf content (new episodes downloaded from the site, very little use of archives), but the SCLUSIES, and if it comes to pass, a better mobile interface than the site itself, might be worth it. If I did subscribe, I wouldn't do it until there is an Android app available, and also I'd feel kind of stupid for having bought a bunch of live episodes that are now included in this (I know this isn't really a legitimate complaint, but it's still frustrating).

I do echo the comment above that an Android app should have been available at launch, and what I'd like to know (though I suspect Scott won't know the answer) is whether Midroll surveys or other tangible info sources show that the majority of Earwolf users use IOS devices, or if it's just due to the fact that everyone in the entertainment industry has an iPhone and seems to think that everyone else in the world has an iPhone.

• Like 7

This is an interesting question - I was thinking about this. It could be cool to save them in some situations, and put them up as bonus content? Even though I try to make my ads kind of funny, I think the goal is to give people an ad-free experience.

I'm down for that. I tend to enjoy the adverts...can't imagine a world were I hadn't heard my all time favourite "the other six inches? Mystery inches." Makes me chuckle every time I think about it

• Like 1

Hey I think this is fine and I'll probably sign up soon. I have no problem throwing Earwolf a few bucks a month as I have been enjoying Comedy Bang Bang for like 5 years(?). Including the old WTF's is a huge bonus.

I would like to add to the few folks asking for a way to save stuff for offline listening within the app, like Spotify has, for plane rides, subway rides, whatever. Also helpful for those of us who try to conserve data.

Also, I'd like to ask what your fuck style is? I'll take my answer off air.

• Like 2

I've already happily subscribed. But I'll throw in my vote for being able to make the podcasts available offline (similar to Spotify).

The main way I listen to podcasts is on my commute and during work. I am unable to listen on my work PC (most audio sites are blocked), and I am unable to stream that much data on my phone.

I currently download podcasts files at home on my Wi-Fi (my Wi-Fi!) and listen on my phone or transfer to my work PC manually. I rarely listen at home (too much other content to consume), So honestly the only way I'd be able to utilize the Howl service is if I can download files and listen later. I hope this is something that will be seriously considered.

• Like 6

Mr. Scott, would it be possible to put up audio commentaries of the CBB TV show on Howl? You know, since the DVDs are postponed. Not necessarily the ones you already recorded. I'd like to hear commentaries for the seasons not released on DVD yet and for future shows. That'd be a cool thing to hear the day after the shows air. :) If you're too busy, you can just make Neil Campbell do it.

• Like 3

I do echo the comment above that an Android app should have been available at launch, and what I'd like to know (though I suspect Scott won't know the answer) is whether Midroll surveys or other tangible info sources show that the majority of Earwolf users use IOS devices, or if it's just due to the fact that everyone in the entertainment industry has an iPhone and seems to think that everyone else in the world has an iPhone.

Yeah, it seems sort of nuts to have an iOS, but not an Android app ready before launch these days, and I have a feeling it's due to what you said about the entertainment industry just being so Apple-centric, as well as having metrics available through iTunes, whereas Android user participation can largely go untracked through direct downloads and other "techie" type ways to get the shows onto your device.

I don't know the real world usage, but market share is like 75% Android or something now California bros, get with the times!

Anyway, excited about Howl, thanks Scott!

• Like 2

I am another Android person who downloads pods to listen to in the car. For all that Earwolf offersI find $4.99 a month to be a fair price point, however I am dismayed that in its current form it is indeed a step behind what I currently get for free using the Player FM app.

You can't take out the ads on Hollywood Handbook! They are absolutely part of the show.

• Like 8

Gripes/wishes:

• Android, as mentioned above.
  • All of my podcasts already sit comfortably in one app that I really like, although I'll certainly give Howl's app a shot (I already signed up for a Howl subscription). If we can either get password-protected RSS feeds for use in our non-Howl app, or the ability to import non-Howl RSS feeds into Howl, that would be ideal.
  • Providing the Best Of's of CBB for example as a way to invite new listeners is great, but perhaps also a rotating selection of other old episodes might be good? The Best Of's have a different feel to them that doesn't quite reflect what the show is, I think?
  • Other people have mentioned it, but I actively listen to and look forward to ads on HH and CBB, so maybe provide both ad supported and ad-free editions in the Howl app or something? I get that I could use the free versions to hear the ads on recent eps, but for like older HH and CBB that wouldn't work with this new system.
  • Resurrection of Video Podcast Network-type videos every once-in-a-whaaal.
  • (This might already be in the app, no idea), some sort of way to integrate with the fan wikis, or cross reference guests and characters in the app would be really really cool.

• Like 2

Another Android user / downloader here. This is seriously a huge bummer. If I need the iOs app to download (cos apparently howl.fm is streaming only), I can't use Howl. Please - Scott or whoever actually handles the technical side - please please figure this out for us. I actually want to pay the 5 buck/month, it's only fucking fair after all these years of at times the best comedy around! But please figure out a way that lets me listen to everything without streaming.

• Like 7

Yeah, I don't understand how shutting off the archives will bring in new listeners. Who's going to listen to Womp it Up if they can't go back and listen to Wompler and Listler on Comedy Bang Bang? And then there's the Andy Dalyverse. If Jason Mantzoukas is co-hosting, he'll definitely reference an older episode that would be behind paywall.

I like the idea of premium exclusive content. I like the idea of ad-free podcasts. I don't like the idea of losing access to content that was available for free for so long.

• Like 6

Alright there is conflicting info out at the moment. Will the episodes on Earwolf continue to be free and with ads?

According to this thread? No. According to Twitter? Yes.

Well, this is interesting. I think it will have very minimal effect on how I consume Earwolf content (new episodes downloaded from the site, very little use of archives), but the SCLUSIES, and if it comes to pass, a better mobile interface than the site itself, might be worth it. If I did subscribe, I wouldn't do it until there is an Android app available, and also I'd feel kind of stupid for having bought a bunch of live episodes that are now included in this (I know this isn't really a legitimate complaint, but it's still frustrating).

Yeah, it seems sort of nuts to have an iOS, but not an Android app ready before launch these days, and I have a feeling it's due to what you said about the entertainment industry just being so Apple-centric, as well as having metrics available through iTunes, whereas Android user participation can largely go untracked through direct downloads and other "techie" type ways to get the shows onto your device.

I don't know the real world usage, but market share is like 75% Android or something now California bros, get with the times!

Anyway, excited about Howl, thanks Scott!

KP, Midroll survey results show 52% iPhone, 26% Android.

http://awesome.midroll.com/

Where according to this article:

Android remains the top smartphone platform in the country with 51.6% share of the market, slightly down from the 52.4% it had in the month of March. On the other hand, iOS' share was up from 42.6% to 44.1%.

http://www.gsmarena....-news-13444.php

#UTalkinStatsToMe

• Like 3

Alright there is conflicting info out at the moment. Will the episodes on Earwolf continue to be free and with ads?

According to this thread? No. According to Twitter? Yes. https://twitter.com/...337268527239168

Hopefully this will clarify a bit. All Earwolf and Wolfpop shows that are currently free will continue to come out each week and be hosted exactly where they are. New episodes as well as episodes from the last 6 months will remain free and will still have ads in them. Soon, all of the episodes older than 6 months will have their ads removed, and be available only through a Howl premium subscription.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for posting concerns and suggestions for how we can improve on Howl. I am taking meticulous notes of everything you have to say.

Change is hard. And can be kind of a long process. We are doing our absolute best to work out bugs and make the whole Howl experience easier and the best it can be.

If you are experiencing any technical issues with your subscription, please send me emails at support@howl.fm so that nothing super crucial gets lost here in the forums.

Keep the suggestions coming, I truly care very deeply about what everyone has to say. I have been a huge Earwolf fan from the beginning, and I am on your side.

• Like 4

KP, Midroll survey results show 52% iPhone, 26% Android.

http://awesome.midroll.com/

Where according to this article:

Android remains the top smartphone platform in the country with 51.6% share of the market, slightly down from the 52.4% it had in the month of March. On the other hand, iOS' share was up from 42.6% to 44.1%.

http://www.gsmarena....-news-13444.php

#UTalkinStatsToMe

Nice thanks, didn't know Apple was making gains in overall % lately, last I read was this I think, although this 79% seems really high for just a few months ago, not sure how they arrived at that number:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dougolenick/2015/05/27/apple-ios-and-google-android-smartphone-market-share-flattening-idc/

If they're taking that usage info from a survey and those are the results, it makes sense for them to focus on iOS, maybe Android users are just less likely to take that survey for whatever reason? Or listen to less podcasts?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand the logic behind this decision, but I've been an Earwolf fan for years, and will continue to be. I just ask that y'all please wait a couple of days before removing the eps for us completionists and obsessives to download.

• Like 3

I think people are confused about whether or not the eps older than 6 months will be gone for free forever. Qualifying them as going ad free on howl makes it seem like the versions with ads may still be available.

• Like 2

I have voiced my concerns on the CBB episode forum but I will say this here. Putting everything older than six months behind the paywall is wrong. It is an openly hostile move against people on the free tier. If you watch the CBB TV show and want to hear Fourvels podcast appearances? That will be $4.99. Lauren Lapkus points you to the origin of one of her characters on twitter? $4.99. Want to listen to a best of so you can see if this podcast is something you are even interested in? $4.99 thank you very much. It is exclusionary and wrong and never should have been implemented.

Also Netflix, Amazon Prime, music streaming service of you choice, any twitch channel your are subscribed to, the list of online entertainment services that want your low monthly payment keeps growing and growing. I have seen this called the death by 1000 cuts and I frankly agree. This is getting harder and harder to swallow. If (as I suspect, might not actually be true) E.W. Scripps only bought Earwolfs parent company so it could implement this paid podcasting service I frankly resent it.

We are not all made of money, iphones are expensive and as my grandmother said "a fiver is a lot of money if you haven't got it."

• Like 1

I listen to most of my podcasts on a computer. I don't really need an app. But putting out an app that is only on iOS does feel like a huge middle finger to Android users.

• Like 2

I think people are confused about whether or not the eps older than 6 months will be gone for free forever. Qualifying them as going ad free on howl makes it seem like the versions with ads may still be available.

Soon, all of the episodes older than 6 months will have their ads removed, and be available only through a Howl premium subscription.

• Like 1

Putting all archived ads behind a paywall seems much more alienating for a new listened then the alternative of "too much content." Most Earwolf shows benefit from starting from the beginning, so know you the inside jokes, and can see the personalities of the hosts and guests develop, the Howl app takes the ability to do this away, and is going to make recommending certain podcasts to family and friends much harder.

Sticking to the alienation point, it seems like going to cut off a large portion of your listener-ship by not having an Android app available at launch. Just looked up smartphone market shares, and Apple is only 18% of the market compared to Androids 78%. If there is an Android app in development, wouldn't it have been best to wait to launch Howl Premium when that was released? If the Android app is not close to being released, what do you want Android users to do to get access to your backlog, which you mentioned earlier is going to start being removed today.

I really like Earwolf, and hope everything work out for you, but this launch really seems rushed and not well executed.

• Like 10

Are all of the Earwolf shows going to be available on Howl? For instance, I don't see Ronna and Beverly in the archives - I'd hate to lose some of their earlier episodes!

I think a lot of people are sold on Howl just for the exclusive content. But re-gaining access to content that's been free for the past 6 years is what's really upsetting everyone. We've always been able to skip through the ads, so ad-free is not a real selling point, especially since some of us like the ads.

• Like 2