🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Scott Aukerman

QUESTIONS FOR SCOTT RE: HOWL

Are all of the Earwolf shows going to be available on Howl? For instance, I don't see Ronna and Beverly in the archives - I'd hate to lose some of their earlier episodes!

As far as I know, all the shows that are still Earwolf shows (so for ex. not Totally Laime) will be on Howl.

We are still working on the whole archive thing, so everything will still be around and free for at least a few more days

ATTENTION EVERYONE: ALL EPISODES THAT WILL EVENTUALLY BE ARCHIVED WILL REMAIN FREE FOR AT LEAST A FEW MORE DAYS

...do with that information whatever you wish ;)

• Like 3

And I will reiterate the archives with add should remain free and add that if they where going to do this they should have waited until apps for other platforms where available.

• Like 1

Nice thanks, didn't know Apple was making gains in overall % lately, last I read was this I think, although this 79% seems really high for just a few months ago, not sure how they arrived at that number:

http://www.forbes.co...flattening-idc/

If they're taking that usage info from a survey and those are the results, it makes sense for them to focus on iOS, maybe Android users are just less likely to take that survey for whatever reason? Or listen to less podcasts?

US statistics vs International statistics. US Android market share has never been as high as 79%, but it has been the market leader since December, and has steadily rose since, at ~59% in May.

However, the Midroll polls show that twice as many listeners listen on an Apple rather than an Android device, and I can't argue with those statistics.

I still feel like a good chunk of the market has been ignored to rush this launch. I'm excited for new content once I have access to it on my phone. I hope they launch that soon. I'll put my money where my mouth is once it's there. Until then, I'll horde CBBs and hope I don't get an itch to start U2U2TM over from the beginning again.

• Like 2

If they're taking that usage info from a survey and those are the results, it makes sense for them to focus on iOS, maybe Android users are just less likely to take that survey for whatever reason? Or listen to less podcasts?

It could also be that Android users are more likely to listen (exclusively or along with their phones) on their computers and/or other devices, whereas iPhone users might listen exclusively or mostly on their iPhones, in which case this way would make more sense since it would be serving how people actually consume the content rather than what device(s) they own. But that's pure speculation on my part.

• Like 1

Until then, I'll horde CBBs and hope I don't get an itch to start U2U2TM over from the beginning again.

Per Scott earlier in the thread, he asked that UTU2TM and Analyze Phish will remain entirely free and not go behind the paywall

• Like 3

Wouldn't it have been easier and more user friendly to just put everything older than 6 months, as well as "premium" content (limited run series, live eps, the WTF archive, AST stuff...), behind a paywall on the Earwolf site? It seems to have worked for other podcasts/sites. Is there significant unmet demand for an Earwolf specific app?

• Like 4

It could also be that Android users are more likely to listen (exclusively or along with their phones) on their computers and/or other devices, whereas iPhone users might listen exclusively or mostly on their iPhones, in which case this way would make more sense since it would be serving how people actually consume the content rather than what device(s) they own. But that's pure speculation on my part.

That's what I was guessing, in which case this is sort of a double middle finger to those listeners, since in the case of people who listen on an mp3 player and who don't retain full archives of back episodes, and who miss the "at least a few days" before they unhost the old eps, they can't listen to old eps on the device they have been using, and also don't have an app yet on the device they do have...

• Like 2

Wouldn't it have been easier and more user friendly to just put everything older than 6 months, as well as "premium" content (limited run series, live eps, the WTF archive, AST stuff...), behind a paywall on the Earwolf site? It seems to have worked for other podcasts/sites. Is there significant unmet demand for an Earwolf specific app?

"User friendly" and "pay wall" in the same sentence?

• Like 1

"User friendly" and "pay wall" in the same sentence?

More likely than "user friendly" and "proprietary streaming app exclusive" in the same sentence.

• Like 4

Okay, I interrupted listening to CBB to scan these forums because I just wasn't getting "it" (which I admit, is probably on me). I think I have a clearer understanding of what's going on, and it's probably too late in the game to affect any real change, but I have a thought followed by a question.

I have no problem subscribing to EW/WP shows for 4.99 a month, in fact I've said before that I would happily pay money for these shows. That being said, I feel like this model is a bit backward. If I have already downloaded these episodes, then there really isn't any motivation for me to subscribe. And, as others have stated, if I want to recommend an episode, I will only have the past six months to pull from unless this hypothetical new listener is willing to shell out money on something they aren't sure about.

I guess my question is, since the archived episodes are just sitting there anyway, why not charge 4.99 for the new content and leave the old content free? For example, each new episode of any show on EW/WP would cost .99 to download. So if I'm listening to 8 EW/WP shows, it would cost me 8+ dollars to listen to them per week, but if I subscribe for 4.99 per month, I have access to everything (including exclusive content) that EW/WP has to offer. This would leave the backlog open for people wanting to dip their toes in the water (i.e. get 'em hooked) and still generate consistent revenue.

Who knows? I'm just hearing about this today and I'm not in the podcast medium, but it just makes more sense to me...

• Like 1

So is the six months thing a rotating thing, (as in, each week the episode from exactly 26 weeks before will be deleted) or will it be that the "archive" consists of all episodes of all shows pre-dating February 2015 to be changed at some other point?

Speaking of HH, Chocktaw, will we hear more from the Hayes & Sean? I love the idea of Lauren's extended adventures, so do other current Earwolfers have projects in the works for Howl?

God I hope so

• Like 5

With Howl here now, how will you guys decide whether a new show is a Howl show or an Earwolf/Wolfpop show? Can we expect some upcoming Earwolf shows, or is most of the new stuff coming up going to be for Howl?

Each platform will have great new stuff coming!

Hi Scott - super excited about Howl and have been checking it out since last night. Just wondering if the paid archive exemption is a hard rule applying to limited run/infrequent shows, or just those two? Wasn't sure how to read this in terms of whether ADPP backlog will become Howl Premium only. Like will that, or Mike Detective, become exclusive to subscribers?

Thanks!

We are supposedly doing Mike Detective Season two for Howl, whenever we get the time.

• Like 7

Hi Scott: I actually find this incredibly exciting. I'm a podcast producer (former journalist and comedian) who has been studying the business side of podcasts a lot lately. I see Howl as solving some of the problems I have had trouble overcoming (monetizing experimental content, mini-series, etc.). Is Howl in a position to begin talks with producers such as myself about partnerships/collaborations or is it only focusing on its current catalog of shows/content?

I'm not exactly sure of the process, but I would love that. Hopefully someone here will direct you?

To clarify, the actual concept of a paid pro version that provides an appreciably superior experience (which Howl seems to strive for, and ought to get there one day) is something I fully support, especially if it helps to support the content creators and encourage smaller-listenership shows (I say that as someone who has donated way too much money to Hollywood Handbook).

The things that confuse/upset me about this are:

1) Breaking the old Earwolf experience (taking down old shows). Users who want to keep doing what they've been doing for free for years can no longer do that, and the explanation for why this is better for users makes no sense (more on that later). However, since I've already said that I would gladly pay for a subscription pro version, that shouldn't personally affect me, however...

2) The new experience, though it could be better, is broken too (no Android support). While there are some additional new features/improvements to the advertised Howl experience (ad-free, more premium content), overall the current experience also features some major regressions. A complete lack of Android support and a lack of an ability to download (downloading in-app would be acceptable although not quite as ideal, but, again, completely broken on Android) show a misunderstanding of the user base or a lack of caring.

3) Misleading/incomplete/unclear/dishonest explanation for why (1) had/has to happen. Explaining it away as a better new-user experience doesn't make sense. Scott, you yourself said *in this very thread* that you wanted to keep certain entire catalogs on Earwolf free specifically so that "as many people to listen to it as possible", which clearly contradicts the stated concept of "if we only allow recent episodes, more people will listen". I should mention that it's possible that you guys have done some research on this topic and come to the surprising conclusion, and if so then lots of my assumptions here would be unfair. However, with current information, the explanation appears wholly unsatisfactory.

I think to clarify what i was saying about UTU2TM - it comes out so infrequently, if we took down the archives after six months, there would only be like two episodes available. So it would be harder to get people into it. The other shows come out once or twice a week.

I have a question related to content - and I apologize if it's already been asked and answered.

Earlier you noted that this move would help make it more financially feasible to create content. I get that. But I'm wondering who gets to approve what gets made under the Howl banner.... and how much of a role does the new ownership play in the development of shows? Is there to be a cancellation threshold? Or... a risk of being "noted" to death as it were?

The new ownership has nothing to do with approval of any content... we do what we want, 100 percent.

• Like 3

Is there a timeframe on the Android app? I think that should have happened before this launch. We are really being left out in the dark on this one.

Even if I were to pay for premium at this time, which I will eventually do, I have no means of listening premium content or archived podcasts at work, which is when 90% of my podcast listening takes place.

I think it was a mistake to launch this Premium service before that app was released.

Soon, from what I'm told. They don't want to give an exact date, so if a delay happens, no one will be upset. But sooner than you think, probably.

Well, this is interesting. I think it will have very minimal effect on how I consume Earwolf content (new episodes downloaded from the site, very little use of archives), but the SCLUSIES, and if it comes to pass, a better mobile interface than the site itself, might be worth it. If I did subscribe, I wouldn't do it until there is an Android app available, and also I'd feel kind of stupid for having bought a bunch of live episodes that are now included in this (I know this isn't really a legitimate complaint, but it's still frustrating).

I do echo the comment above that an Android app should have been available at launch, and what I'd like to know (though I suspect Scott won't know the answer) is whether Midroll surveys or other tangible info sources show that the majority of Earwolf users use IOS devices, or if it's just due to the fact that everyone in the entertainment industry has an iPhone and seems to think that everyone else in the world has an iPhone.

This is very unscientific, but i've found in the years we've been doing this, the android app is always the hardest thing to figure out. I have no info about HOWL's challenges in this area, but that's something I've noticed. No idea why.

Hi, sorry, I have another question. CBB archives on Howl start at 104. Will the first hundo + 3 be added?

I think they're all in there... but I know they're sort of cleaning up some of the issues with eps being mislabeled or missing.

Mr. Scott, would it be possible to put up audio commentaries of the CBB TV show on Howl? You know, since the DVDs are postponed. Not necessarily the ones you already recorded. I'd like to hear commentaries for the seasons not released on DVD yet and for future shows. That'd be a cool thing to hear the day after the shows air. :) If you're too busy, you can just make Neil Campbell do it.

That's a cool idea

• Like 6

I'm just going to ask, why was it decided to gate the old episodes Scott?

Gripes/wishes:

• Android, as mentioned above.
  • All of my podcasts already sit comfortably in one app that I really like, although I'll certainly give Howl's app a shot (I already signed up for a Howl subscription). If we can either get password-protected RSS feeds for use in our non-Howl app, or the ability to import non-Howl RSS feeds into Howl, that would be ideal.
  • Providing the Best Of's of CBB for example as a way to invite new listeners is great, but perhaps also a rotating selection of other old episodes might be good? The Best Of's have a different feel to them that doesn't quite reflect what the show is, I think?
  • Other people have mentioned it, but I actively listen to and look forward to ads on HH and CBB, so maybe provide both ad supported and ad-free editions in the Howl app or something? I get that I could use the free versions to hear the ads on recent eps, but for like older HH and CBB that wouldn't work with this new system.
  • Resurrection of Video Podcast Network-type videos every once-in-a-whaaal.
  • (This might already be in the app, no idea), some sort of way to integrate with the fan wikis, or cross reference guests and characters in the app would be really really cool.

I've talked about a rotating group of eps remaining free -especially if a sequel to something is released. We may try something like that!

• Like 7