🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Scott Aukerman

QUESTIONS FOR SCOTT RE: HOWL

Currently you can leave comments on episodes in the browser version, and it looks like eventually in the app. But I am not certain the comments will ever be set up the way they are here.

But if you guys would like, I can make a Howl section here if you guys want to talk about the new stuff in the format you are familiar with.

I don't really want to push for this since I won't be subscribing just yet (although I might go for the free trial), but I think this would be nice and I'd imagine others feel the same way. Although come to think of it, this would be a good way for non-subscribers to get an idea of what the new shows are like (from semi-objective sources) and whether they're worth the cost.

• Like 1

I was only apologizing to Scott, silly goose. You're still an asshole. ;)

You're so tempestuous - like our own version of Judy Davis from Husbands and Wives! ;)

• Like 1

Since so many people are worried about not being able to recommend certain episodes behind the wall, a fun solution would be to have a "gift" option where you can buy and send someone a month-long Howl subscription and be able to pick like 5 starter episodes you think your friend would enjoy.

that could be fun, or maybe like "gifting" an individual episode. I wouldn't know what the logistics of that would be, but that basically as a member you could send someone a link to an episode older that six months as a taster

• Like 1

You're so tempestuous - like our own version of Judy Davis from Husbands and Wives! ;)

I don't understand that reference at all, but I'm choosing to take it as a compliment!

I guess my question is, could potential deals be struck in the future with companies like IFC to perhaps bring the CBB TV Show to this new premium service even on a limited-time run? Living in Australia it is practically impossible to watch the show legally.

This would be brilliant. I imagine it is pretty much the same for the rest of the world outside of the US as well, at least it is in Sweden.

Really enjoying the service so far, I've already burned through a couple of AST albums I never got around to physically purchasing. I'm excited at the idea of more content creators signing up or joining forces as time goes on.

It might be a good idea to start a technical/status blog for Howl, so that you all aren't flooded with the same technical issues over and over during the next few weeks.

Maybe something similar to status.soundcloud.com or status.twitter.com? It would be nice to see if something is already being handled, and maybe see when an existing issue has been fixed.

That might do a lot to calm down people who are upset at things not working right while you get some time to fix things up.

• Like 6

I think the old eps should be available for download to "own" for like 99 cents. Regardless of subscription. So even if u lapse or something you still have an arsenal of funny. So you'll be making money on the 'scripts and the individual downloads.

Let's say a new listeners just been playing the newest- but six months later they want that one episode that tey got started on.

• Like 4

I think the old eps should be available for download to "own" for like 99 cents. Regardless of subscription. So even if u lapse or something you still have an arsenal of funny. So you'll be making money on the 'scripts and the individual downloads.

Let's say a new listeners just been playing the newest- but six months later they want that one episode that tey got started on.

I like this idea. I would gladly pay for DRM-free mp3s of old greps.

Since so many people are worried about not being able to recommend certain episodes behind the wall, a fun solution would be to have a "gift" option where you can buy and send someone a month-long Howl subscription and be able to pick like 5 starter episodes you think your friend would enjoy.

This is honestly a really great idea - I would probably wind up using that option a bunch. Truthfully, though, the archives and ad-free episodes are tertiary and outside of the focus of my interest in Howl, though I certainly understand how some people might not feel that way. I'm interested in what monetization of content means for shows that don't pull in large numbers like Hollywood Handbook, especially if the cut those podcasts receive is proportionate to. the amount of listens they receive through the howl app. As interested as I am in that, though, the exclusive content is what I am primarily concerned with - is it good enough and frequent enough to warrant spending money on? As it stands, the miniseries on howl are excellent so far, and while it remains to be seen if there will be a steady stream of content, I've listened to enough to feel pretty good about supporting it and spending money on it. I would prefer to give a lump yearly sum over monthly payments, though,

• Like 1

Will we really not be able to download podcasts to our devices using the app? If I'm wrong then ignore me, if not take a page from Spotify's book and let premium users download the podcasts. That way we won't need to connect to the internet as we listen, and our precious data can be saved during car rides or while we have no service.

• Like 6

Sorry if this has already been answered, but was there ever a final answer regarding downloading vs only streaming? All the p'casts I listen to would just gobble up my data if I had to stream them all.

EDIT: RonHog beat me to it

Bonus EDIT: Tanks for all the awesome content over the years, and I will continue to support this great network.

• Like 1

If I were Scott today, by this point I would have just shut down Earwolf entirely. You can keep your precious old eps for free forever but every show is canceled now that I know these are the people that are listening. Geez, you guys...

• Like 11

It'd be nice if there was a netflix queue type list for the service. It's cool to be able to favorite a podcast and all but I don't want to favorite every CBB live show as I've heard most. I'd like to just be able to add all the single episodes/albums/whatevers to one "listen later" list.

Scott. I'm glad you didn't firebomb the place like SteveH suggested he'd do. You'd think humanity would've progressed to the point that firebombing things would no longer be seen as a solution. Alas. Maybe that day lies ahead.

Thanks for taking so much time to answer questions. It might be helpful if you got someone more technical than yourself to come in at another point to better address some of those questions and concerns. I genuinely appreciate the time and effort you've taken to attempt to address individuals questions and sometimes just acknowledge their raging emotions.

• Like 10

If I were Scott today, by this point I would have just shut down Earwolf entirely. You can keep your precious old eps for free forever but every show is canceled now that I know these are the people that are listening. Geez, you guys...

Yeah, God forbid people have questions and opinions about a fundamental shift in the paradigm! Unbelievable with these guys!

• Like 18

Haha, because everyone hated them!

I promise I will work on ways of how to grow the show with new listeners - thank you for trying to get people into it over the years, and I hope you continue to. I'm more interested in how you, the current listeners feel about it!

I'm a little flabbergasted that everone's so concerned about new listeners.

As a longtime Earwolf listener I am totally on board with this move. For the past 5 years I've had a glut of top notch comedic content at my fingertips, all for free. Considering the new episodes will remain free I can't see a problem with any of this. I'll gladly pay 5 bucks a month for all the special content.

Even at 60 bucks a year I still feel like I'm stealing from you.

• Like 4

I, however, did not get an option to even put in the code, so a week free will have to do I guess.

I also didn't get an option to input a code, which is my only objection to this situation. I will see you all in court.

• Like 1

Joe, if everyone asked questions like you, the Internet would be a wonderful place. Unfortunately, I read through this entire thread.

• Like 6

So I'm gonna rephrase my concern one last time in the hope of getting some feedback: When will there be an Android app? Does "working on it" mean it's weeks away? Months?

(It's not the paywall that concerns me, it's the fact that I will be literally unable to listen to the older episodes on my phone (or anywhere away from a computer) as it stands. Without an Android app, how am I supposed to listen, to, say a CCB episode from a year ago, if I can't download it anywhere without an iPhone? How do I get an episode on my phone now? Even as a Howl subscriber I mean, not for free.)

Edit: Apropos nothing: I just realized the connection of "Howl" and "Earwolf" :) Nicely done! It's like the Valve/Steam realization!

• Like 3

So I'm gonna rephrase my concern one last time in the hope of getting some feedback: When will there be an Android app? Does "working on it" mean it's weeks away? Months?

(It's not the paywall that concerns me, it's the fact that I will be literally unable to listen to the older episodes on my phone (or anywhere away from a computer) as it stands. Without an Android app, how am I supposed to listen, to, say a CCB episode from a year ago, if I can't download it anywhere without an iPhone? How do I get an episode on my phone now? Even as a Howl subscriber I mean, not for free.)

Edit: Apropos nothing: I just realized the connection of "Howl" and "Earwolf" :) Nicely done! It's like the Valve/Steam realization!

Scott said the developers of the droid version didn't give a hard release date; only that its in progress. He did say something like 'it'll be sooner than you might think', but who knows what that means. As an android user, I'd also love some more concrete info on the release of the android app but it doesn't seem like we'll get it anytime soon. :(

• Like 1

Joe, if everyone asked questions like you, the Internet would be a wonderful place. Unfortunately, I read through this entire thread.

If everyone asked questions like me, the Internet would be a very well read place full of handsome young boys and girls who have a soft spot for pictures of puppies and kittens dressed like humans and video of people popping blackheads.

• Like 9

Scott said the developers of the droid version didn't give a hard release date; only that its in progress. He did say something like 'it'll be sooner than you might think', but who knows what that means. As an android user, I'd also love some more concrete info on the release of the android app but it doesn't seem like we'll get it anytime soon. :(

Looks like it, considering I asked the same question 3 different ways now...

But I'm gonna stop now, I feel like an asshole for being upset at all.

(deep breath)

Heynong Man ... let's reset! :)

Love you, Scott, you are the best, and I have hope this will all work itself out.

• Like 2

Friends, I think we need to get back on topic and work out this Irish Water issue.

• Like 11

Friends, I think we need to get back on topic and work out this Irish Water issue.

Maybe Scott can give confirmation as to whether there'll be a song about it on the new u2 record

• Like 4

What I find odd is that this move apparently has nothing to do with the takeover by E.W. Scripps. Then why are we only able to listen to Earwolf through Howl (owned by E.W. Scripps) in the future?

• Like 1