🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Scott Aukerman

QUESTIONS FOR SCOTT RE: HOWL

Thank god i drive 8 hours a day for work and managed to listen to every single CBB episode before they yank them from the archive!

Another android user, not really bitching, but since there is no ETA on the android app just trying to get my downloads in of the other shows i enjoy before they disappear!

Can't stream, because streaming earwolf for 8 hours a day make's me hit my data limit very quickly.

• Like 2

that's interesting - it's a little like the carpool lanes here going to a toll lane... it's kind of a bummer, but i guess Ireland needed to make more money? We pay for water here (unless you drink it out of your neighbor's hose).

i think scott's on to my hose drinking -- but can you blame me!? earwolf just leaves their hose out in the yard for anyone to suckle upon!

seriously tho, i think this is a good direction for podcasts and content and i look forward to many more great bits and possibly even supporting the artists that i love.

I really don't understand the griping about the archive being made part of the paid service, and for what, in my opinion, nominal amount for what a person is getting: 1) ALL Earwolf, Wolfpop, & WTF episodes; 2) Howl-original podcast series; 3) Albums by some of the best comedians out there, and all of this ad-free.

To the "Netflix of Podcasting" is kind of a misnomer, in that, while the availability of the comedy albums might be rotated, all the podcast episodes will always be there for free and not be rotated out.

Maybe it's just me, but for me, I got into CBB by listening to the current episode at the time (New No-Nos, w/ Jerrod Carmichael, Jessica St. Clair, & Paul Rust) and I was instantly hooked. I didn't need a Best of or earlier episodes to get me into the show.

People are so used to getting things for "free" nowadays, either legally or illegally, that they don't realize that there has to be a cost, via ads, a subscription, etc.

Do I want everything for free? Of course. But do I understand this decision and will I pay for this great app? Yes! I don't see this as a "betrayal" or "unfair" as some have noted. What I would see as unfair is if a bunch of my favorite podcasts went away because they were no longer financial viable.

• Like 3

People are so used to getting things for "free" nowadays, either legally or illegally, that they don't realize that there has to be a cost, via ads, a subscription, etc.

This is a key point. Someone a few pages back said that Earwolf should be aiming to break even, not turn a profit, in order to retain artistic freedom.

That's really easy for someone on the outside to say. We're not owed free podcasts. As much as we feel like a part of the same community as the people who make them, we're still not OWED these shows for free.

• Like 3

i dont care about the price, but that earwolf is becoming less convenient to use for listeners

• Like 8

i dont care about the price, but that earwolf is becoming less convenient to use for listeners

I will most likely have to sign up once there is an android app. I will feel a lot better about it if it IMPROVES my experience , which right now it for sure is not.

Not sure if this has been answered but will it be like Netflix where my one account can be signed in more than one device?

In my household my SO and both listen to pods on our separate commutes to work and my son listens to HDTGM every night to fall asleep (he listens on his kindle and it is very cute. The gooby ep is his favorite). Am I going to have to make multiple accounts?

• Like 6

I want to pay Earwolf more money, and I love new content. My problem is the app.

Earwolf is not a tech company, and has no business in developing apps when other firms have this sole focus.

They will never be able to compete with Pocketcasts, Sticher, ITunes, etc......

I'll pay for content, but don't make it so hard to get.

• Like 7

There has got to be the ability to download eps. Please don't force us to waste data all the time when currently we've been able to download the eps from home then listen later.

• Like 4

but do you smell what i'm stepping in? that was the important part.

• Like 1

I want to pay Earwolf more money, and I love new content. My problem is the app.

Earwolf is not a tech company, and has no business in developing apps when other firms have this sole focus.

They will never be able to compete with Pocketcasts, Sticher, ITunes, etc......

I'll pay for content, but don't make it so hard to get.

I don't know if we know for sure if they are in the business of developing apps. Just because their name or a subsidiary's name is on the copyright, doesn't mean they developed it. They may have paid a freelancer who specializes in these kinds of things to develop the app.

I haven't tried the app yet, but I have heard too many complaints about it, and the good thing about software is that it can be tweaked to improve the user's experience.

I'm hoping the same search functionality will be added to Howl, being able to click on a person for a bio and list of episodes is really useful. Will that feature be added?

Also, are all archived episodes from all shows on Earwolf coming to Howl? Don't currently see Ronna and Beverly...

• Like 1

I am told that you can definitely download eps in the app. Adam sachs just did it yesterday for a long plane ride.

But NOT from non-Apple products.

• Like 3

Hi Scott,

In terms of the overwhelming (and hugely welcome!) amount of archives - and not knowing where to start - might it be worth having the 'favourite' option for individual episodes? Not a ratings scale as such, just the option of being able to highlight certain episodes that you would recommend to others, which may then perhaps be visible to all? So in theory the audience could see, say, the top 10 most 'favourited' episodes for each show, or indeed overall.

Thanks to all those involved - currently going through the Howl 'Sclusies and enjoying every one! Hope there's more of those to come!

George

• Like 5

I am told that you can definitely download eps in the app. Adam sachs just did it yesterday for a long plane ride.

He was probably listening to Seth Godin's Start up School, that sly dog

• Like 6

At least for me at this moment, when I download something it disappears when I close the app. So I download the night before for the car ride in the morning and when I go to listen to it in the car the download is gone...meaning I have to use up precious data.

I downloaded approx. 10 different eps in the IOS app last night at home. Today only one of them shows in my downloads list (an ep of OMFG). I can't be 100% sure everything finished downloading, though at a glance they were complete and I have no reason to think they did not.

When I'm back home tonight I'll experiment again and check the data storage to see how much space they are taking up just to ensure the downloads are being completed.

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

How did you arrive at the $4.99 price point? Will there be an option for a Family Plan in the future like Netflix and Spotify have? The "Netflix of podcasts" name isn't a perfect fit since a Netflix account can be used for an entire household but I'm guessing the Howl premium account can't, so we're looking at $10/month for my wife and I. That isn't a dealbreaker or anything but it makes us hesitate a bit at least.

I've tried to put my finger on why this new plan doesn't feel quite right. I mean we have no trouble supporting Earwolf: we've bought many tshirts, donated to CBB, bought all of the live shows, etc. I think it comes down to having the old episodes taken away. As others have mentioned there's a real connection that is formed with these podcasts, something beyond just entertainment. They start to become like friends, sources of comfort. It's like a record that you own and have listened to a hundred times over the years and it starts to mean more to you than just another source of entertainment. For example I know I can go back and listen to Andy Daly's first appearance as Dalton Wilcox and I'll smile for the next two hours. I've listened to that episode and many others over and over. So there's something about the new situation that cheapens that relationship a little. None of this is to say that I'm pissed about it or anything. I'll happily support everything you guys do. Just wanted to add that perspective.

Thanks!

• Like 3

I downloaded approx. 10 different eps in the IOS app last night at home. Today only one of them shows in my downloads list (an ep of OMFG). I can't be 100% sure everything finished downloading, though at a glance they were complete and I have no reason to think they did not.

When I'm back home tonight I'll experiment again and check the data storage to see how much space they are taking up just to ensure the downloads are being completed.

This happened to me too, downloaded all of the AV Club, Psychic Pshow and Wild Horses episodes a couple of hours ago, went to start listening to them 10 minutes ago and all but one of the AV Club episodes have been deleted. I am 100% sure that they had downloaded because I double checked them and started playing a few.

Is no one going to bring up the fact that they are also trying to migrate us away from the forums and use the Reddit subforum instead while they shut these forums down?

I'm going to try and clarify what I believe is people's issue with the paywall/back episodes. Nobody on the forum has quite put it in a way that would illuminate the issue, at least as far as I see it.

Most of us have been fans for quite some time and we're accustomed to the easy access of past episodes. Why download and store them if earwolf is hosting the episodes and we can re-download or stream them at will?

People naturally felt ownership over the podcasts because the access was unrestricted and on their own terms... For years. Now the archives are going without too much of a warning. It's like they're being taken away from you.

This transition feels abrupt and a tad dirty; like long time fans are, to quote Mr. Show, 'Gettin' The Shaft Again'... Although I understand the rationale from the business side of course. I just think that a bit more of a warning for the hardcore fans would've probably eased things from that perspective.

I've spent hours today making sure that I had my own archives of i4h, CBB, and HDTGM. Luckily, I had about 60% saved already because I'm crazy and had a feeling something like this was an inevitability.

----

Although I'm not buying the app at this time, I hope that episodes are still downloadable to keep for those people. I know that's a big issue for me. I don't like the idea of losing everything if you let your subscription lapse.

----

I also have to call a spade a spade regarding one thing mentioned in the thread. The large back catalogue of episodes isn't an impenetrable wall to new fans. That's pure business spin for 'we're now charging you money for this content under the guise of benefiting new fans'.

I don't mean to sound like an ungrateul jerk, but I felt like sharing my opinion.

I'm still here supporting the shows. I hope earwolf and the comedians make money. I'm pretty sure all fans want that. We're all on the same side in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 3

Is no one going to bring up the fact that they are also trying to migrate us away from the forums and use the Reddit subforum instead while they shut these forums down?

Edit: I may have been had! I'll leave this as is, for no reason.

Ugh.

What a long strange trip it's been... Nice knowing y'all.

I'm not going to reddit. (Not that anyone would care about my absence) I started posting here because of the ease of grabbing an episode and clicking through... Plus the hands on host interaction with a small community was unique.

Reddit has no appeal to me.

I also have to call a spade a spade regarding one thing mentioned in the thread. The large back catalogue of episodes isn't an impenetrable wall to new fans. That's pure business spin for 'we're now charging you money for this content under the guise of benefiting new fans'.

Sorry- I'm kind of super busy today, but just wanted to address this - it's not business spin, it's what made me feel better about taking episodes down. It's a real problem that we've heard about for a while, and have been discussing internally for as long.

The more episodes we accumulate, the more clutter there is. It may sound counter-intuitive to you guys (cause you're such good fans, you have accounts here!), and it's weird to say, but having less choice makes something more popular. Like In 'n' Out Burger!

• Like 6