🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 117 - Theodore Rex: LIVE!

Certain parts of this movie gave me major Jupiter Ascending flashbacks. Dino's / Lizards wearing clothes and speaking, dreadlocks, rollerblades, weird black outfits, etc. I've tried to highlight one scene in particular using my ms paint skills:

2cex5v.jpg

• Like 2

Certain parts of this movie gave me major Jupiter Ascending flashbacks. Dino's / Lizards wearing clothes and speaking, dreadlocks, rollerblades, weird black outfits, etc. I've tried to highlight one scene in particular using my ms paint skills:

Not just Jupiter Ascending (sapient human-animal hybrids, genetic manipulation) but im almost convinced that this takes place in the same world as Pluto Nash and the event of this movie are what led to the ban on cloning on the moon.

• Like 2

I know its considered heresy to criticize a podcast on the Earwolf forums... but maybe no episode at all would've been better than releasing 2 in a row that were recorded with a phone. Because as far as I'm concerned, there hasn't been an episode of HDTGM since the Sharknado 3 episode, because even though I tried, I could not get through these garbage recordings.

I know its considered heresy to criticize a podcast on the Earwolf forums... but maybe no episode at all would've been better than releasing 2 in a row that were recorded with a phone. Because as far as I'm concerned, there hasn't been an episode of HDTGM since the Sharknado 3 episode, because even though I tried, I could not get through these garbage recordings.

That's your loss, man. I really enjoyed these. Of course, I would have preferred a better recording, but I got my ($0) money's worth.

• Like 4

I will say that on the first listen through I had a really hard time hearing everything in the Theodore Rex episode, but I think I got everything the second time around. I thought Top Dog had way better sound quality than the second show.

• Like 2

That's your loss, man. I really enjoyed these. Of course, I would have preferred a better recording, but I got my ($0) money's worth.

I may try again at some point. I didn't watch the movies for either of them because I never know when HDTGM episodes come out anymore. If I had already watched the movies beforehand, I would've listened to them all the way through.

... but maybe no episode at all would've been better....

1fa53fa8f75bf4ecba1e7fd60385c090.gif

....because I never know when HDTGM episodes come out anymore.

You're the second person to say that on this thread. Is this a thing now? It's every Friday. If it doesn't come out Friday, it usually comes out the next Monday. But they've been pretty consistent for a while now...

But to echo Fister, I'm honestly sorry you couldn't get into them as they were both really great!

• Like 3

I know its considered heresy to criticize a podcast on the Earwolf forums...

I honestly don't think we were being mean in our responses. For my part, I was being absolutely sincere when I said I was sorry you weren't able to enjoy the episodes. That sucks.

We cool?

81c80f1927618da8679fe6b3f197c76e.gif

• Like 3

Paul and Rob Huebel did an AMA today! Many HDTGM questions.

ETA: Good on Huebel for being the human of a pitbull, one of the most misunderstood and mistreated breeds.

I honestly don't think we were being mean in our responses. For my part, I was being absolutely sincere when I said I was sorry you weren't able to enjoy the episodes. That sucks.

We cool?

81c80f1927618da8679fe6b3f197c76e.gif

Same. I wasn't trying to be a dick.

And I only posted my gif because Cameron did a Jason one, and cleanshaven Zouks is the funniest thing in the world to me.

• Like 3

What about the kid trying to hook Whoopi up with his dad? That sub-plot went nowhere.

Probably someone somewhere along the way was like, "Maybe this kid shouldn't be trying to get his dad a fuck robot, but we should leave in the earlier scenes so we can still have that totally awesome street hockey tail scene."

• Like 1

I was wondering why Whoopie never changed her outfit. But then it dawned on me, since Whoopie is a robot, I'm assuming that her Black widow outfit is her whole body. Like in her entirety is comprised of metal,plastics and internal noodle combustion. So in essence, she would not likely smell like a regular human being which would be a dead giveaway to dinosaurs. I'm thinking these dinosaurs would have enhanced smell receptors since they are primarily predator-like. It would defeat the purpose of trying to disguise yourself since it looks like robots are primarily in the police force to stop any dinosaur related criminal activity.

It would make sense to put robots for that type of activity since they would have Augmented strength to counteract Dinosaur strength. I don't think all police in this universe are robots, but there are specially made police robots who handle dinosaurs. or with the more logical conclusion, that the filming took place in an afternoon and she just went between sets and did her lines

theodorerex01.jpg

• Like 2

Hopefully submissions for Corrections and Omissions hasn't ended yet...

I have a hypothesis about the world-building (or complete lack thereof) in this movie. Could it be that the world this movie exists in had already been established... IN ANOTHER MOVIE DONE BY HDTGM?!?!

I like to see Theodore Rex as being a continuation/alternate universe version of Super Mario Bros. In the Super Mario Rex-verse King Koopa successfully merged the two worlds bringing the hyper-evolved dino-humans to our reality. A global war ensued, humans versus dino-humans. The war raged on for decades, and the dino-humans began to over-feed on the fauna of regular Earth, causing virtually all animal species to go extinct. The humans eventually got a hold of the Devolution Gun and put in the hands of their top scientist, Elizar Kane. Kane helped the humans build a bunch of Devolution Bombs, carpeting the world with them and causing the dino-humans to partially de-evolve to a dinosaur state. Sick of the war, an inner cabal of dino-humans teamed up with Mario and Luigi to assassinate King Koopa and made peace with the remaining humans. The two former-enemies began to build an inclusive society, but tensions were still high and integration came slowly. Unfortunately it was too late, the severe loss of biodiversity caused an ecological collapse, eventually killing off almost all humans. Kane knew the end was near for the human race so he began research into human cloning. He kept the species alive through cloning, but for him the war wasn't over. He was only biding his time until he could find a new way of wiping out the dino scourge....

That is the lost Super Mario sequel, Theodore Rex prequel. Damn I would watch the shit out of that movie.

• Like 1

Hopefully submissions for Corrections and Omissions hasn't ended yet...

I have a hypothesis about the world-building (or complete lack thereof) in this movie. Could it be that the world this movie exists in had already been established... IN ANOTHER MOVIE DONE BY HDTGM?!?!

I like to see Theodore Rex as being a continuation/alternate universe version of Super Mario Bros. In the Super Mario Rex-verse King Koopa successfully merged the two worlds bringing the hyper-evolved dino-humans to our reality. A global war ensued, humans versus dino-humans. The war raged on for decades, and the dino-humans began to over-feed on the fauna of regular Earth, causing virtually all animal species to go extinct. The humans eventually got a hold of the Devolution Gun and put in the hands of their top scientist, Elizar Kane. Kane helped the humans build a bunch of Devolution Bombs, carpeting the world with them and causing the dino-humans to partially de-evolve to a dinosaur state. Sick of the war, an inner cabal of dino-humans teamed up with Mario and Luigi to assassinate King Koopa and made peace with the remaining humans. The two former-enemies began to build an inclusive society, but tensions were still high and integration came slowly. Unfortunately it was too late, the severe loss of biodiversity caused an ecological collapse, eventually killing off almost all humans. Kane knew the end was near for the human race so he began research into human cloning. He kept the species alive through cloning, but for him the war wasn't over. He was only biding his time until he could find a new way of wiping out the dino scourge....

That is the lost Super Mario sequel, Theodore Rex prequel. Damn I would watch the shit out of that movie.

Bro, Get a script going. You nailed it.

Bro, Get a script going. You nailed it.

Thanks. Maybe I can workshop it with Paul and Zouks. Pitch it to Syfy.

What about the kid trying to hook Whoopi up with his dad? That sub-plot went nowhere.

At the end wasn't Molly Rex with the Dad? She was cozying next to him at the wedding I thought.

I'm sure this was probably already brought up but oh well. The "Mexican on a sombrero" guy was totally wrong. If you go back and listen, Jason actually said "A sombrero wearing Mexican". So "sombrero wearing" is describing the subject of the statement (Mexican).

Also, did anyone else think that the transvestite dinosaur at the club totally sounded like the mom from Bob's Burgers?

I didn't make it far into the movie.

I could not get over how bad the Dinosaur costume/puppet was. This film came out after Jurassic Park.Two years after. Yet we have a bulky impractical costume, with very little emoting puppeteering besides blinking and eye brows. The mouth slightly and inconsistently moves (jiggles up and down) with no attempt to match dialogue. The costume is so static. You can even see where the top of the guy in the suit's head is pressing on the top of the neck.

Yes it is a 'low' budget film, but is it? It cost three times more than the first Ninja Turtles film (10 to 15 mil more than the sequels). Yet look at those costumes and puppeteering compared? This cost $35 mil but Jurassic Park only cost $28 mil more. Compare everything that went into making JP to what is in this. It looks like they spent less than 1% of the money from what is on screen. How could they not have done better? Were they that incompetent and clueless or did no one care.

I mean, why is it even such a bulky suit? It kind of looks like the Dinosaur TV show, but watch a clip

Those puppets and costumes are much better in movement and emoting. It might help that they also tried to give those characters personalities. Rather than being shy and soft spoken. Delivering every line like he is questioning what he is saying.

Jurassic Park had Dinosaur costumes that would have been more emotive and practical

It's just such a big aspect, something that the whole movies rides on and yet it is utter garbage. IT should have been top priority. It's as if no one at all tried.The sheer level of lack of artistry is astonishing. They would have been better off making the dinosaur more human like. Such as how Star Trek would do an Alien dinosaur. Why not? If you can genetically bring back and engineer dinosaurs smaller, fatter, with intelligence and able to talk. Why not make them fit into society better by being more human like.

Or the other better alternative would have been to have had the dinosaurs full size. Whoopy can stand next to a giant leg, then cut to stop motion or a better looking puppet for Theodore. This would have worked way better. It is so bad that it undoes the lame idea of a dinosaur cop. He is just a fat ugly loser with a tail. He could have been anything.

In the Oral History one of the guys mentions they used bright colours to dull the sci-fi edge. What did they think they were making? What Sci-fi edge? Where, did they think the sets would look like Blade Runner? It looks like a cheap toy commercial where at any second if it cut do someones hand pushing a van through a puddle, close of up action figures and a voice over saying, 'Mattel Dinosaur Cop figures each sold separately.'

Oh and you know they had a conversation about the Dinosaurs can't be scary after Jurassic Park. So they made every effort to point out these dinosaurs don't eat meat, soft spoken and what ever bullshit. Which has to be 100% why he is called 'Teddy.'

I'm kind of confused about how many complaints there are about the past two episodes. I mean, first off, it's a free podcast so really that fact that it even exists should have everyone grovelling. Secondly, only those two episodes are like that. Two. Out of one hundred seventeen (not even counting the mini eps). Is it that people are just now starting the podcast and they haven't heard any of the others so they think this is the norm? I can't even make much sense of that since Paul starts both ones with a disclaimer about the quality. One of life's mysteries, I suppose.

ANYWAY, I was not planning on saying that much, I really just came to say I'm sad that I've missed out on so much of the last two episodes because I haven't seen these movies, but I really want to. Chuck Norris with a dog? Brilliant. Whoopi Goldberg with a dinosaur? GENIUS. I just can't believe I hadn't heard of either of them before this. Hopefully I'll get a chance to view them and make more sense out of everything, but also I hope that the next episode is something I've seen. HEAR THAT PAUL? READ MY BRAIN AND FIND MOVIES THAT I ALREADY KNOW. thanksssssss

If anyone is looking for more hilariously bad dinosaur detective crap, Syfy made a movie about ten years ago called Anonymous Rex. It co-stars Billy Baldwin and you also get to see Issac Hayes growl at someone. And it goes into some weird conspiracy reptilian territory. I believe you can find the whole thing for free on youtube.

• Like 1

I didn't actually watch this one, but just from listening to the episode, this movie seems to have a lot of elements lifted from Blade Runner. Whoopi Goldberg works for the police force of a futuristic metropolis where humans struggle to coexist with another sentient species - in Blade Runner, that species is replicants, and in Theodore Rex, it's fucking dinosaurs. Again, I haven't seen this movie, but at one point in the podcast it sounded like June was describing the plot as the dinosaurs going after their creator - which is Rutger Hauer's storyline in Blade Runner. There's also a toy maker, which is similar to the William Sanderson character from Blade Runner - his apartment is full of strange dolls and animatronic toys. Finally, Whoopi Goldberg turns out to be a robot at the end of Theodore Rex... like Harrison Ford turning out to be a replicant in Blade Runner. The crazy thing though is that this replicant reveal is so on-theme compared to Whoopi being a robot - if they really wanted to rip off Blade Runner, she'd find out that she had been a dinosaur herself the whole time.

Also, if you haven't seen the TV Movie of Alice in Wonderland where Whoopi plays the Cheshire Cat... do a quick google image search for 'whoopi goldberg cheshire cat'. You won't be disappointed.

Sign in to follow this