🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Striptease (1996)

I'm shocked nobody brought Striptease up until now!

This is the film that marked the end of Demi Moore's run at the top of the A-list despite being paid a then-record $12.5 million to flaunt off her body. And it could've further derailed Burt Reynolds' career had Boogie Nights not come out the very next year. Coming out the year after Showgirls certainly didn't help its prospects as the two are often compared to one another. Will we see Striptease being discussed on HDTGM in the near future?

• Like 1

And it could've further derailed Burt Reynolds' career had Boogie Nights not come out the very next year.

A. He didn't really have much of a career to derail at that point. I mean, he was in "Cop and a Half" only three years prior.

B. What's funny about "Boogie Nights" is that Burt hated it so much, he fired his agent for getting him the role. And surprisingly, after that his career went right back to where it was before: Appearing in things nobody cares about, only occasionally appearing in something good ("Archer," "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City").

I dream of someday hearing paul say the words, we are doing to do two live shows back to back. "Showgirls and Striptease" in las vegas!!!

I remember this movie being so incredibly hyped because Demi was going to be nude in it, but it was basically a couple quick flashes late into the movie and while it was a hit, I think it was pretty quickly forgotten. Though if they do this movie I would like it paired with another movie adaptation set in Florida, Big Trouble. When first seeing those movies it seemed ridiculous that these two movies made the state seem so insane, but with the last few years having crazier and crazier news stories come out of the state and things like Florida Man on Twitter, I can see know that these might be the most accurate movies ever made.

• Like 1

Though if they do this movie I would like it paired with another movie adaptation set in Florida, Big Trouble. When first seeing those movies it seemed ridiculous that these two movies made the state seem so insane, but with the last few years having crazier and crazier news stories come out of the state and things like Florida Man on Twitter, I can see know that these might be the most accurate movies ever made.

It helps to remember that both movies are based on novels by Florida writers (Carl Hiaasen for "Striptease," Dave Barry for "Big Trouble"), so they definitely knew what they were writing about.

It helps to remember that both movies are based on novels by Florida writers (Carl Hiaasen for "Striptease," Dave Barry for "Big Trouble"), so they definitely knew what they were writing about.

Very true, I almost mistakenly wrote in my comment that Barry had written Striptease but then remembered that there was another author who wrote about the craziness that is Florida. Would have had to given up my MLIS in embarrassment if that happened.

• Like 1

A. He didn't really have much of a career to derail at that point. I mean, he was in "Cop and a Half" only three years prior.

B. What's funny about "Boogie Nights" is that Burt hated it so much, he fired his agent for getting him the role. And surprisingly, after that his career went right back to where it was before: Appearing in things nobody cares about, only occasionally appearing in something good ("Archer," "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City").

Yeah, by 1996 there was pretty much nothing left to derail. Though IIRC his performance in this was noted as one of the high points of an otherwise terrible movie.

• Like 1

I think I hallucinated the fact that they were doing a pair of live shows that was this and Showgirls? Is that something that actually happened or am I crazy?

I think I hallucinated the fact that they were doing a pair of live shows that was this and Showgirls? Is that something that actually happened or am I crazy?

This and Blues Brothers 2000 were the live Chicago shows back on June 3.

Ugh I wish the other movie was Showgirls, I dont have the energy to watch Blues Brothers 2000 again.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this