๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 117.5 - Minisode 117.5

I honestly wasn't a huge fan of It Follows. It had a couple of creepy shots in it, but otherwise I was very underwhelmed.

I actually watched this a few hours ago after skipping in the theatre. Good timing!

ย 

With arguably the 3 biggest straight up action movies of the summer being Furious 7, Fury Road, and Rogue Nation. This was first out of the gate and maybe it's because I saw the other two first but this was terrible (but great for the podcast).

ย 

I was so on board after that opening, June must have had a literal fit after that.

ย 

It's just too dumb to get completely on board. I'm forever ruined after the last Furious HDTGM when they mentioned these guys are street racers solving extreme national security issues, it's even more heightened in this one!

ย 

Q: Does this movie hold the film record for using the word 'family'?

ย 

Lastly, kudos to James Wan for making Kurt Russell an action bad-ass in a blockbuster again.

I honestly wasn't a huge fan of It Follows. It had a couple of creepy shots in it, but otherwise I was very underwhelmed.

ย 

Me, too. I was very disappointed after watching it.

...but this was terrible (but great for the podcast).

ย 

It's just too dumb to get completely on board. I'm forever ruined after the last Furious HDTGM when they mentioned these guys are street racers solving extreme national security issues, it's even more heightened in this one!

ย 

ย 

You say this like it's a bad thing. Obviously, the traditional means of diplomacy and official political channels aren't working and Kurt Russell needs to think outside the box. This is the only logical conclusion to that train of thought. They already have a proven work record with Hobbs and as long as they keep it under what I'm assuming is an unlimited/black budget with minimal good guy casualties, the Turettos/O'Conners are the only names to call on.

ย 

Me, too. I was very disappointed after watching it.

ย 

I'd seen it was received well on RT but hadn't read any reviews and loved it. I thought it probably bit off more than it could chew but in the end was easily one of the best horror movies I've seen quite some time.

• Like 3

I'm kind of bummed Paul didn't read Cameron's dino name, especially given how he repeatedly pronounced "DieFledermaus." It was a bold idea, Cameron; sorry it didn't pan out =\

Yea I was bummed for my fellow Cameron as well.

ย 

giphy.gif

ย 

Oh, it's all right. At least we got "Camargasaurs Bert," so I took some small comfort with that. Honestly, I should have taken a cue from you all and folded.it into my Display Name better--I made it too easy for him to just drop it. Boy, I tell ya! That Paul Scheer--he's a crafty one!

• Like 8

With arguably the 3 biggest straight up action movies of the summer being Furious 7, Fury Road, and Rogue Nation. This was first out of the gate and maybe it's because I saw the other two first but this was terrible (but great for the podcast).

Those other two are completely different kinds of movies. I'd put Rogue Nation about halfway between Fury Road (which is a pretty non-ridiculous movie) and Furious 7 in terms of ridiculousness. But the F&F movies just lean into the ridiculousness and that's the fun of them. They're making solid action movies, but they're just turning them up higher and higher every time. And I think that's the fun in them. I unashamedly and unironically love 5-7 because they don't pretend to be anything more than what they are, which is just an excuse to have the familia drive cars and blow shit up.

• Like 3

I think my dislike of the Fast and/or Furious films just comes from the fact that I don't like the characters at all from the ones I HAVE seen and I don't feel like spending any time with them at all, crazy action scenes or not. The super douchiness and all the "family, family, family" talk just makes them feel like they're a Faygo product placement and some shitty face paint away from being Juggaloes.

• Like 2

I didn't mean they were thematically linked just that they were the three BIG action movies in terms of stunts etc. These just felt like movies from directors who aren't phoning it in and care about what they do no matter how ridiculous the premise is (Fury Road isn't a silly premise just a crazy world - and legit one of the best action movies I've ever seen).

ย 

I shouldn't have been so harsh because I didn't feel like my 2hrs were wasted, Wan is a better filmmaker than Justin Lin but I still feel like this was dialled to 11 and not quite hitting the highs of this profoundly silly and entertaining trilogy. Yes, Fast Five is when the franchise actually became good.

ย 

Also for comedic relief, Tyrese is no Simon Pegg. Dear God the former was obnoxious in this one.

ย 

Look, I'm so picky that despite all the crazy crap that happens in the movie what really got to me was Kurt Russell describing what the 'God's Eye' does he says it can "hack ATM Machines". Really Mr. Screenwriter? Perhaps you could care less as well?!

Count me in on not liking "It Follows." I give the movie credit for building tension and atmosphere but I also think the bar is so low for horror movies these days that critics are quick to heap praise on anything even mildly unique and entertaining (I'm looking at you Babbadook). In the end though, there was so much of "It Follows" that just made no damned sense. I'm probably mis-quoting but Quentin Tarantino recently said that the shame about the movie is that it was so good but could have been great if they obeyed the rules of the universe they were creating. When I walked out of the theatre I couldn't help but think that "It Follows" would have been perfectly at home on HDTGM because there are so many unexplained WTF moments.

• Like 1

In "It Follows", did "It" always have to be following? I mean, after the kids got away, they'd almost always end up back at one of their houses, so couldn't it just hang back, knowing they'd come back? I guess "It Waits Patiently For You To Return" doesn't sound as ominous. I thought the movie was fine, but I had a lot of "Hey, wait a minute..." moments once I stopped to think about it.

ย 

That's the picture I was talking about doesn't he look like he's wearing a muscle suit.

ย 

It's Diesel time!!!

ย 

He clearly tried to bulk up so that The Rock wouldn't dwarf him like in the previous movies (although he still does). He basically looks like a giant sausage in this movie because he was just "cultivating mass" - to borrow a phrase from Ronald "Mac" McDonald.

of all the fan-made music stings on the show, I think the Cage one is my favorite (despite always having to turn it down a little bit when....... wait, I'm being one of those people that complain about volume inconsistencies on podcasts... *single gunshot*)

ย 

ย 

reminds me of the band Fear, especially the "CAGE MAAADE MY LIFE BETTER..." line

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyM4uAJBujA

• Like 1

24erfhv.jpg

ย 

I guess you all know what movie I watched recently. i would of sworn there was a thread for black moon rising but can't find it..

• Like 2

24erfhv.jpg

ย 

I guess you all know what movie I watched recently. i would of sworn there was a thread for black moon rising but can't find it..

I have never even heard of this movie, but I just read a quick synopsis, and I must go find it!

FisterRobotorosaurus, it's amazing.

ย 

I just heard the nic cage theme song for the first time. kind of reminded me of this.

King Missile - Martin Scorsese

ย 

• Like 2

I was hoping for a studio episode...but I'm psyched to have Mr. Scott back.

ย 

I've never seen any of the F&F movies, not sure I'll even watch #7-I think some movies are fun to NOT watch and just hear the gang talk about them.

ย 

I am VERY excited to watch Maximum Overdrive though, as ridiculous over-the-top Stephen King is one of my favorite things in the world.

• Like 3

So I just checked the iTunes and I have to wait until September 2nd, so I guess that's not so bad.

ย 

Also fun fact for fans of the series in Japan the Fast and Furious movies are known as "Wild Speed" this one is "Wild Speed: Sky Mission"

ย 

Its super Crazy / Cool that F7 will be your first experience into the franchise... Here are 2 videos that recap the 6 epic movies that came before ( you can watch them whenever you want )... So I saved you like 11 and a half hours ;)

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTSOpAlI60

• Like 2

ย 

In Chrichton's book, they were definitely warm-blooded. I remember that being one of the first places where the theory was injected into pop culture.

ย 

They're warm-blooded in the movie, too. Grant says it when they see their first dino.

• Like 1

The most egregious and outlandish aspect of Furious 7 is that The Rock uses his own pecs and abs to cushion the fall of Elena after the epic Statham fight. Pfft, everybody knows The Rock's body is at least 20 times harder that solid concrete! It would have been better if he had let her hit the roof of that car! If this movie cared ANYTHING about realism, Elena would have be liquefied into human jelly after impacting so hard into The Rock's titanium frame.

• Like 5

The most egregious and outlandish aspect of Furious 7 is that The Rock uses his own pecs and abs to cushion the fall of Elena after the epic Statham fight. Pfft, everybody knows The Rock's body is at least 20 times harder that solid concrete! It would have been better if he had let her hit the roof of that car! If this movie cared ANYTHING about realism, Elena would have be liquefied into human jelly after impacting so hard into The Rock's titanium frame.

ย 

At least they acknowledged that serious gaffe later on and reminded us of his true form tumblr_nfmtrkRCM21r55h1ho1_1280.0.0.jpg

• Like 3

I have a friend that likes to nitpick the most pointless shit (not in a fun way like we do here, but in a really annoying know-it-all kind of way). His first complaint was that when The Rock is in the hospital, the way his gun is lying on the table would make it impossible for him to pick up and use quickly if anything happened.

ย 

Yes, the position of the gun is the biggest logical flaw of this movie. Not the fact that he was just blasted out of a building and fell - at a conservative guess - 30 feet straight onto his back, leaving him with minor injuries and Elena without even a bruise. And not the fact that Vin "Sausage Fingers" Diesel drives his car straight off of a cliff and rolls down a mountain. And not that

The Rock literally flexes a cast off of his arm, drives a stolen ambulance onto a flying drone, and then rips the minigun off of the drone with his bare hands and uses it to shoot at the helicopter despite his shattered collarbone and double-fractured leg - neither of which explain the full arm cast. (Also, I know the other things I mentioned are somewhat spoilery, but this is one of the best sequences in the movie, and I'd feel bad if I ruined it for someone who hasn't had a chance to watch it yet).

ย 

ย 

I should note that I am okay with ALL of these things. But if you're going to accept all of that stuff, you should probably be okay with something so trivial as a gun facing a certain direction.

• Like 4