🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 118 - Furious 7: LIVE

To make another wrestling comparison, the part where they talk about none of the main characters ever having to lose a fight made me think of Hogan and the NWO. There, you had a bunch of guys that had been around forever that all had creative control over their characters, which basically meant that everyone refused to lose to everyone else, leading to basically EVERYONE being in the group and just beating up on the nerds, leading to a complete lack of credible good guys. Ironically, as far as the F&F crew is concerned, the one professional wrestler in the bunch, The Rock, is known for being a guy that doesn't mind losing to get another guy over.

Big Show told a story about that on Jericho's podcast, where he was in a fued with Kevin Nash, and when it was time for Big Show (the babyface) to get his hands on Nash (the heel), Nash mysteriously got sick and pulled out of the match, so they had Scott Hall fill in for the ass whooping, and he was changing the booking saying "No, I'm not getting beat, we'll do it where I throw the tooth pick in your eye, and then I run away, because it's not my story, and I want to stay strong" to which Big Show said "Fuck that, I'm killing someone tonight, and there's not a damn thing you can do to change that".

• Like 3

After that story, question time:

Did I miss it either in 6 or 7 or have the movies never officially addressed the disappearance of Santos and Leo from the crew/family after 5? I remember hearing they were left out because of contract disputes to be in 6, but they just sort of went away in terms of plot/importance...not that character continuity is a problem for this franchise or anything, but it sort of bugs me, especially with this whole "family" horseshit being the driving motivation for everyone now.

And why exactly is Hobbs still in the hospital? I mean his arm is just in a cast at this point in the film.

More importantly, why does he have the cast? And why is he up walking around? When Elena tells Dom about Hobbs' injuries, she says he has a broken collar bone and a double leg fracture. But all he has is a cast on his arm.

And he's still able to do this with all those injuries:

7174c6e0-bb95-0132-9a54-0e01949ad350.gif

• Like 9

I'm amazed that Tony Jaa hasn't been brought up, and the fact that Paul Walker used his head to fire a gun at a car!

• Like 2

Big Show told a story about that on Jericho's podcast, where he was in a fued with Kevin Nash, and when it was time for Big Show (the babyface) to get his hands on Nash (the heel), Nash mysteriously got sick and pulled out of the match, so they had Scott Hall fill in for the ass whooping, and he was changing the booking saying "No, I'm not getting beat, we'll do it where I throw the tooth pick in your eye, and then I run away, because it's not my story, and I want to stay strong" to which Big Show said "Fuck that, I'm killing someone tonight, and there's not a damn thing you can do to change that".

That was a really good interview with Show, and he seems like a guy that's just happy to be there and do whatever's asked of him. I worked in an episode of Nickelodeon's "Supah Ninjas" where he was the villain, and I can confirm that Big Show's hands are not entirely unlike skillets!

• Like 3

I think I pointed out in a previous Fast and/or Furious thread that Vin Diesel and Jordana Brewster's brother/sister relationship is COMPLETELY believable, seeing as how they both seem to suffer from the same type of charisma deficiency.

• Like 4

Loved the discussion about the insane physics of this movie. What about the Rock's homage to Jesse Ventura? Setting aside the fact that a drone-mounted minigun would not have a trigger for a human operator, there's all sorts of insane physics involved in that scene.

A modern assembled minigun weighs 45-65 pounds.

A magazine with 1500 rounds (enough for 30 seconds of fire) weighs 125 pounds.

A 24V DC battery to power the gun motor weighs roughly 10 pounds.

We're talking about what amounts to a nearly 200 pound gun! And the Rock is not merely firing the gun from a standing position, like Ventura in Predator, but walking with this thing.

On top of all that, the torque generated by a spinning barrel shooting 50 rounds per second would send the gun flying all over the place, if not the Rock himself. Anyways, it's a minor point, in light of all the ridiculousness elsewhere in the movie, but I figured it was overlooked.

• Like 2

That was a really good interview with Show, and he seems like a guy that's just happy to be there and do whatever's asked of him. I worked in an episode of Nickelodeon's "Supah Ninjas" where he was the villain, and I can confirm that Big Show's hands are not entirely unlike skillets!

I loved the "Are you gonna quit shitting in my toilet?!" story.

More importantly, why does he have the cast? And why is he up walking around? When Elena tells Dom about Hobbs' injuries, she says he has a broken collar bone and a double leg fracture. But all he has is a cast on his arm.

And he's still able to do this with all those injuries:

7174c6e0-bb95-0132-9a54-0e01949ad350.gif

I feel that with the gif rebuttals you've been sitting ever so patiently with these messages saved to drafts for the episode since the movie was released in April.

...And I 100% approve

• Like 4

1. I also loved how June doesn't know which of the Fast movies she saw. Honestly, June, it doesn't matter. (Speaking of June, I got an email about NYCC Super Week today and in the ad for HDTGM there were photos of Paul and Jason but not June. I OBJECT!)

2. The gang wonders if you can really lift a car. Yes, people can lift cars. There are stories of hysterical strength where women lift cars off their kids--so even useless lady characters could do it! I've never seen someone hold it aloft for very long. I guess that's Vin Diesel showing how much cooler he is than mothers. I found this article about how to lift a car from Muscle and Fitness. Apparently you need leg strength http://www.muscleand...ge/how-lift-car This is my favorite part:

If you can half-squat 500 pounds or more, then you can totally lift a Honda Civic. You’ll impress the hell out of your friends, and for once in your life, someone might confuse you with the Hulk.

3. Speaking of confusing you with Avengers. The actress who portrays Elena is Elsa Pataky who is Chris Hemsworth's wife. So if June looks like her then Paul is basically Thor, right?

• Like 7

So the one Second Opinion said the guy had been waiting three years for this movie, right? I don't see how that's possible really. I mean, part 6 hadn't even come out yet. Did he just want to skip right past that?

Not all the way through yet but the clips they've pulled so far have confirmed it. Vin Diesel does not say a line/sentence longer than 8 words.

8 words guys!

I feel that with the gif rebuttals you've been sitting ever so patiently with these messages saved to drafts for the episode since the movie was released in April.

...And I 100% approve

Well, I couldn't make the gifs in April, but I did go crazy making them after the digital release last week.

(I've still got a few more at home to add, including one for an omission I totally thought they were going to bring up)

• Like 2

If I don't have a beer koozie, that's how I hold mine. It keeps the heat of your hand away from the actual beer so your beer stays cold.

Wait. So you hold the bottle in the same death grip? Personally I hold the neck with a few of my fingers in a very cool, non homo-erotic fashion. I get that you don't want to warm the beer, but it's not like we are talking about a fine white wine. It's beer. My guess is the average bottle lasts 5-6 minutes before moving on to another one. And if you're someone like Torretto, he finishes one in 1-2 mins.

Not all the way through yet but the clips they've pulled so far have confirmed it. Vin Diesel does not say a line/sentence longer than 8 words.

8 words guys!

"8" is probably also the number of times he closes his mouth when not speaking instead of just standing around slackjawed.

• Like 1

If the gang does an earlier installment in the series, I think "2 Fast 2 Furious" would be the way to go. Holy shit, what a stupid movie...

• Like 5

Hey Paul. What is up with the audio edit during the podcast? Did something insane happen? Jason on another 9-11 rant?

• Like 4

Great show! I was at the live show and I loved it!

A couple of omissions...

1) In the beginning when Statham is giving his monologue to burnt up Shaw lets forget for a moment that Shaw should have been incinerated and instead ask how Dom's necklace ended up in comatose Shaw's hand? I had to go back to figure out the last we saw of the necklace was when Letty passed it to Shaw in part 6, but somehow from plane explosion to coma Shaw never let go of it? When he was admitted to the hospital the staff never removed it from his hands?

2) When Letty freaks out at race wars and abandons Dom we next see him emerging from a car with a sledge hammer at the cemetery. I love that Dom knew Letty's freak out would lead her to the cemetery but more amusingly that his plan to ease her trauma was to smash the headstone with a sledge hammer.I'm not sure what that would prove but I was totally on board with the idea that Dom would think it was the most logical conclusion.

Wait. So you hold the bottle in the same death grip? Personally I hold the neck with a few of my fingers in a very cool, non homo-erotic fashion. I get that you don't want to warm the beer, but it's not like we are talking about a fine white wine. It's beer. My guess is the average bottle lasts 5-6 minutes before moving on to another one. And if you're someone like Torretto, he finishes one in 1-2 mins.

I usually hold it in a fist because I'm clumsy and will probably drop it if I don't.

And I'm also drinking better beer than Corona, which tastes like shit at any temperature.

If the gang does an earlier installment in the series, I think "2 Fast 2 Furious" would be the way to go. Holy shit, what a stupid movie...

Or Tokyo Drift. That one is pretty terrible, too. But at least it has Bow Wow's Hulk car:

350x700px-LL-9f4d4672_l.jpeg

• Like 5

I should also note that, like Jason, I was far to enthralled with Furious 7 to write any notes.

I wrote a damn novel for Maximum Overdrive though.

Edit: Move along. Nothing to see here. Just a fat fingered idiot that hit the wrong button.

Great episode! I have seen this movie like 4 or 5 times I first saw it opening night and have seen it with friends and also re-watched it for this episode and Im going to post my notes for this last session that contain my condensed thoughts as the movie went on from start to finish ( Like I did with "LOL" and "Face/Off" )

(*WARNING* LONG LOONG POST with Spoilers and calling people by their names and character names back and Forth)

Let's Go!

* Epic intro... - It painted a clear picture in my mind of what Shaw is capable of doing just for a hospital visit ;)

* Credits for photos and stock footage for Han and Giselle (Just like Paul said in the ep.)

* That ROYAL DEFENSE MEDICAL CENTRE needs more defense

*That "Race Wars" blowout party reminded me of "Piranha 3D"

* At Race Wars I totally imagine The orange bandanas girl character in this movie and I.R.L. about to head out and her father saying "YOU ARE NOT GOING OUT OF THIS HOUSE DRESSED LIKE THAT! Put some pants on!" (Like Adam said in the ep.)

* The sight of Iggy Azalea and her saying less than 20 words gave Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) P.T.S.D.

* She's pregnant? *In Jasons Voice* "Unprotected sex... (Again?) Not cool you guys..." At this rate Jordana Brewster will get pregnant Every other movie... / also I read a long time ago than when male scriptwriters don't know what to do with female characters they get them pregnant like Chloe from the tv show "24" for example

* First Letty balis out now Elena (Brazilian Police Lady) gives Dom the cold shoulder L.L.Dom T. (Ladies Loathe Dominic Toretto)

* Woah I 100% in my mind thought that the reason they introduce Hobbs (The Rock's) daughter was just because he was gonna die in this movie so Dom And Elena will take care of her and raise her #WashedUpMoviePsyquic

* Little Bow Wow via stock footage :P

* I thought that the tinted windows car at Hans Funeral was going be driven by Giselle because Gal Gadot had a credit in the opening scene and Owen Shaw from F6 survived the fall/jump from the plane and he is in a coma ( in the intro scene ) so for me there is some possibility that Giselle is alive, but I thought wrong A-gain! :( ( Also like Paul said in the ep.)

* *Inside my head* "Huh... A 30 minute movie whare Jason Statham and Vin Diesel die after a head on car crash..." Please just put some / add some air bags and some blood on their faces at least

* Storm Troopers dressed in Swat Tac Team uniform miss the opportunity to head shot Jason Statham and instead fire wildly resulting in Shaws escape...

* Is this a full on parody now? Beer Hipster Kurt Russell went to a bar and ordered a Corona Beer service and then he stole the metal bucket with the ice and the bottles and took it to the covert operations base in el Segundo California... Thats what happened Right? The score even cues up just as Vin grabs the Corona bottle WHAT. IS. HAPPENING!? ( Also... "Cool Product placement bro" )

* Kurt Russel actually says that Shaws greatest ability is that he is a shawdow "Shaw is a Sha-dow" Get it?

* God's Eye Exposition time!!! ( Also are we in The Marvel Universe? is this S.H.I.E.L.D.? 'cause God's eye Is what they used to locate Loki in the first Avengers movie )

* Just like in F6 both the movie and characters tell the audience that they NEED God's Eye ( Last time was the Rocks line "this got me one step closer to Shaw" line ) to get Shaw but Shaw always pops up like a modern day Droopy Dog to complicate things for te Fast Crew...

* They arrive just in time... Spider-Ma--- Sorry

* Tyreese simplifies everything that was just exposed and does a part 5 and 6 Movie recap. Then Paul Walker and Luda mock him ( The three of them where part of 2 Fast 2 Furious... Its canon you guys )

* "Leader!"

* Lettys Back, but only out of fear for Dom's safety...

* Brian breaks the fourth wall just before coming out of the plane practically talking to the audience...

* Armor piercing rounds that seem to have the same power as normal rounds...

* The detached rear panel of the bus is a firewall???

* One whoud think that Ramsey has just been kidnaped a few minutes ago... She is freaking out and Paul Walker didn't even touch her or invade her personal space or anything... ( Chill pill stat! ASAP! ba be ree do beep bap! )

* Paul Walker is fighting like Jason Bourne over here!

* Tony Jaah: "I kill the bus driver" Paul Walker: "What bus driver?" ( Adding lines from T.D.K. ;) But seriously where did the bus driver come from? he just apeared right? )

* 1st of 3 Djimon Hounsou cameos on this movie... 1. Mountain side 2. In the Abu Dabhi warehouse and 3. On an helicopter at the end I feel he was under used IMHO and I know terrorist the most public of people but he is suposed to be a world renound terrorist... He just gave me more of a paid mercenary vibe. For me the Shaw character was more mencing and powerful than Djimon Hounsou character...

* I thought Dom's car was just going to lose the body and the chasis of a working sandrally kart was going to come out from the tumble down the mountain followed by his escape... but nope ( sssssssstrike 3 in the theory department )

* Brian and Dom have a reflecting chat in a cargo plane... ( sans beers :( )

* Ramsey is being grossly objectified and Luda and Tyrese want to "Rock. Paper. Scissors." for her ownership in an Arab country... ( Maybe add her to the winners Harem. nailed it! ) Comedy! #NotReally

* Now Letty and Tej learned martial arts in the 2 years since the last movie...

* Dom Torreto lifts the supercar with his back... Use your knees... YOUR KNEES!

* Mandatory "family eating toghether in the dining room table while shit goes down outside" scene

* Mandatory "The bad guy sticks his neck out so the good guys can capture him but that is/was excatly part of the bad guys plan all along" scene

* Also just like in F6 when Owen Shaw was all but beaten in the bunker he pulls a card out of his ass to strech the movie for 50 more minutes ( Back then was that he had kidnapped Jordana Brewster) now Dekerd has teamed up with "the terrorist" and also has "the God's eye drive"

* Granade Platter Special ( 1. Call Bruno Mars and 2. "That is one spicy meat-ah-ball!" )

* They killed that soldier guy, Sheppard... Suits him well for making fun of Tyreese back at the base :P

* The rule of three fulfilled with a Belgian ale and Corona beer joke...

* "All right people listen up! Let's pose for the movie poster real quick..."

* "Rotating camera gearing Up Montage: CHECK!"

* Policeman got Droned!!!

* L.A. Drift

* Luda comments that he "Can't believe they pulled that off!" someone listens to HDTGM and Jason and the gang would be proud

* "Double Head on colition: TAKE 2!"

* "The Rock is back in taaoooown!!!"

* A gentlemans brawl ( With giant wrenches and metal frames of course... )

* The drone is a dick to bluildings glass windows...

* Rewinding the Gods eye drone footage turns back time...

* 2015 Parkour :S

* Even the Rocks stolen ambulance is big!

* Uhm, Actally it was a triple tap... thankyouverymuch.

* Shaws favourite weapon? ... Grenades!

* Doms gotta mean stomp

* Where's the trigger for the drone's gatling gun??? Is the Rock sending an electric/electronic/electromagnetic signal in order to fire it? Tell Me!!!

* The Dream Parking lot is collapsing...

* Was Doms "Don't miss" ADRd line before car jumping to take down the chopper an internal monologue or did he say it out loud? Both options are crazy...

* That was some "Wanted" and "Die Hard 4" $h¡t right there!

* Letty remembered because magic miracle! ( They were married right before the events of F&F 4 there is a mini movie or short "Los Bandoleros" directed by Vin Diesel but the fact that they got married and wedding scene is new info created for this movie )

* And Dom is alive because they copied "The Matrix" (beat by beat) and because "The Matrix" copied Beauty and The Beast ( True love is immortality Y'all ) But I truly loved how the dumb Silver Necklace is somehow now important because its their wedding rings basically

* "Why didn't you tell me we were married" "Because the script and that twist where not written at the time..."

* Shaw gets the Hannibal Lecter treatment

* Ramsey's question to Dom Always Gets Me ( Can't you see he is not ready to deal with it? :'( ) And now Cameron H. has the quote like the signature to his posts and I will cry every time I finish reading his posts :P

• Like 1

Wait a certain way you hold your beer can seem homo-erotic??? Also this all depends on the kind of beer you're drinking. If it's Corona everyone wants to drink that in 5 minutes or less because it's shit. But I typically buy Shiner and I like to nurse it (which is why I am like Fister Roboto in that I want to keep that cold so it still tastes good).

I usually hold it in a fist because I'm clumsy and will probably drop it if I don't.

And I'm also drinking better beer than Corona, which tastes like shit at any temperature.

I am the exact same way. There is a huge chance I will drop that shit if I don't hold it carefully.

• Like 4

By the way folks... Did anyone else freak out a bit that the name of the hacker is Ramsey? All I kept thinking about was Tom Selleck in Runaway!

• Like 1

For the Omissions segment...

In the jumping through 3 buildings in a car scene, inside the 3rd building there is a makeshit museum or gallery of some sort with some statues that they crash and destroy before jumping out.

0a96636ab274defc81bc37fea995bec217fa6468.gif

Those statues remind me a lot of the statue army from the 3rd "The Mummy" film...

2703499498_7ef5521f3d.jpg

2705717682_d510cc00c6_b.jpg

Another "fun" fact is that the director from the first Fasts Rob Cohen is the director of The Mummy 3 and Universal owns both the Fasts and Mummy franchises... Could this also be an F.U. to Rob Cohen? Or maybe a wink / reference / same universe / obscure fact / statues gathering dust and occupying space in the universal studio lot? He also directed "Stealth" so...

*Ps.: Oh wait a second... After listening to the episode this must mean that Universal movies DO exist in the same universe so years after The mummy movies the events of the "Fasts" movies take place... NAILED IT!

• Like 4