🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 118 - Furious 7: LIVE

don't forget the gun by the side of the bed at the hospital. I love it when Diesel goes to visit officer Hobbs and he's lying in bed with a heartrate monitor, Iv drip in his arm and a big hand cannon sitting on his bed side.like any hospital in there right minds would let you have that.

34i01a1.jpg

OK lets see, got my gun,badge, iphone watch. energy drink.

• Like 3

Just a thought, wouldn't the line "the street always wins" be a breach in Vin Diesels contract for never losing a fight?

• Like 7

The 8th movie HAS to start with them having to break Statham out of that jail and being forced to work with him, right? Whatever they're fighting (alien hordes, let's hope), he's going to be the only person able to help them.

• Like 3

Just a thought, wouldn't the line "the street always wins" be a breach in Vin Diesels contract for never losing a fight?

Maybe the street's contract also states that it can't ever loose a fight, so "Vin vs. The Street" will always end in a Draw

• Like 4

Maybe the street's contract also states that it can't ever loose a fight, so "Vin vs. The Street" will always end in a Draw

God I hope that's the name of 8.

• Like 3

Adam Scott mentioned a scene where Vin Diesel and Paul Walker where arguing about which car his son was going to play with, and said it was nonsense. It's normal that most people didn't get it but that was actually a reference to the American VS Imported rivalry that exists among car enthusiasts.

I don't remember which cars those were exactly, but I bet that Dom had an american muscle car while Brian was fighting for a japanese car. For car enthusiasts, specially the american ones, that's a big decision :D by the way, let me send you a 5 star review from Portugal, you are amazing!

post-111109-0-34410500-1441386444_thumb.jpg

Did the guys say that they really couldn't tell that things were re-worked a bit because of Paul Walker's death? From what I've seen (I caught bits and pieces of about half of the movie at my theater) and heard, it seems like the entire pregnancy/possible retirement subplot hardly involves him at all and takes place in conversations when he's not around, or when he's not in the same shot where the other actor is basically putting the words in his mouth. For instance, Vin says "Are you telling me that..." In close-up, explaining everything Jordana Brewster has told him so far, and then it cuts to a shot of Walker just saying "Yeah". Is that about right?

• Like 2

The 8th movie HAS to start with them having to break Statham out of that jail and being forced to work with him, right? Whatever they're fighting (alien hordes, let's hope), he's going to be the only person able to help them.

That's the only thing that would make sense to get that space installment we've joked about/prayed for. Therefore, in keeping with the series logic, it will NOT be the reason.

• Like 1

About haflway through and I am LOVING this epsiode. It's been a long tough week and this is so nice to have heading into a long weekend. I love you Paul, June, Zouks and Adam!

Also, just have to say I thought their discussion of female characters was something I didn't think about, but they make some pretty great (and sad) points.

Did love that Ronda Rousey appearance/fight though!

• Like 3

I think we've already seen Vin lose to the street in those instructional breakdance videos that he did.

• Like 4

Also, I had a great convo with my buddy about this movie.

The Rock was bar none my favorite part, because to me he looked and acted like he knew he was in a totally bonkers movie and he was just having a fucking BLAST, because he understood what it was.

Vin Diesel as Dom is acting like he's in a very serious drama, which completely clashes with the feel of the movie. He's awesome in Perfect Dark and pretty much all the Riddick movies, but here...yikes.

For the Omissions segment...

In the jumping through 3 buildings in a car scene, inside the 3rd building there is a makeshit museum or gallery of some sort with some statues that they crash and destroy before jumping out.

0a96636ab274defc81bc37fea995bec217fa6468.gif

Those statues remind me a lot of the statue army from the 3rd "The Mummy" film...

2703499498_7ef5521f3d.jpg

2705717682_d510cc00c6_b.jpg

Another "fun" fact is that the director from the first Fasts Rob Cohen is the director of The Mummy 3 and Universal owns both the Fasts and Mummy franchises... Could this also be an F.U. to Rob Cohen? Or maybe a wink / reference / same universe / obscure fact / statues gathering dust and occupying space in the universal studio lot? He also directed "Stealth" so...

*Ps.: Oh wait a second... After listening to the episode this must mean that Universal movies DO exist in the same universe so years after The mummy movies the events of the "Fasts" movies take place... NAILED IT!

You forgot one big thing. Rob Cohen was also the director of "xXx", which was a big F.U. to the F&F franchise that he helped create. With Diesel having returned to the F&F camp, SOMEONE still has to pay for that betrayal.

• Like 2

Hey guys, great episode! You all nailed it!

Did anyone else find it the least bit odd that the car they drove through three skyscrapers was gassed up and ready to go? They make such a big deal about how awesome that car was (I'll take their word for it) and what a crime it was for it to be locked away in that building. The movie seemed to imply that it was more ornamental than anything. How'd they even get the car in that room in the first place?

Correction!! (for...Temple of Doom)

Temple of Doom was indeed a prequel to Raiders, but the question is "why?" The way I heard it, and this may be apocryphal, was that either Spielberg or Lucas was concerned, that after the events of Raiders, viewers would be upset if Indy wasn't with Marion. By setting it earlier than Raiders, Indy could bone down with whomever he wanted. However, this still doesn't explain why they felt it was okay to imply that Indy abandoned his semi-adopted son Short Round sometime before the events of Raiders, which to me, seems far more egregious than just breaking up with someone.

• Like 7

I love the casual, matter-of-fact way Paul described Elena as looking like June. It's like, my wife is the most beautiful woman and other women are copies of her.

I wonder what prompted Paul to ask--seemingly out of nowhere--if there were Fast & Furious fanfiction. The audience member who answered the question is great. Unflappable under Jason's ribbing. Not HDTGM fanfiction, but I like to imagine that June, Paul and Jason live together. June and Paul in the main house and Jason in the mother-in-law cottage.

I can imagine it where Jason is living in a spare room, and Paul and June tell their good friend that June is pregnant, and instead of congratulating them, Jason asserts "Well, I'm not sharing a room with any kids, so you figure out where to put him".

In my fan fiction HDTGM reality, Paul and June's master bedroom has two doors that open across from each other in a single hallway. Every morning they open their respective doors simultaneously, close the doors behind them, and Paul says, "Good Morning, June. How did you sleep last night?" and June replies, "I slept fine, Paul. Thank you for asking."

I don't see Jason living with them, but I do see a room in his house devoted solely to beard grooming and maintenance.

• Like 5

For the Omissions segment...

In the jumping through 3 buildings in a car scene, inside the 3rd building there is a makeshift museum or gallery of some sort with some statues that they crash and destroy before jumping out.

Those would be the Terracotta Warriors. The main tourist attraction of Xi'an, China.
  • Like 3

If I don't have a beer koozie, that's how I hold mine. It keeps the heat of your hand away from the actual beer so your beer stays cold.

Wait a certain way you hold your beer can seem homo-erotic??? Also this all depends on the kind of beer you're drinking. If it's Corona everyone wants to drink that in 5 minutes or less because it's shit. But I typically buy Shiner and I like to nurse it (which is why I am like Fister Roboto in that I want to keep that cold so it still tastes good).

I am the exact same way. There is a huge chance I will drop that shit if I don't hold it carefully.

If Corona is good enough for Kenny Chesney, it's good enough for me. - sarcasm

I don't spend a lot of time worrying about how I hold a beer because I drink it fast enough that it doesn't get warm.

I usually hold it in a fist because I'm clumsy and will probably drop it if I don't.

And I'm also drinking better beer than Corona, which tastes like shit at any temperature.

Or Tokyo Drift. That one is pretty terrible, too. But at least it has Bow Wow's Hulk car:

350x700px-LL-9f4d4672_l.jpeg

Tokyo Drift is my favorite Fast and Furious movie. I've watched it more than the others combined.

The guy Mia stays with in the Dominican Republic, is, I'm assuming someone they know from the fourth one. although he's never in the movie, because Toretto just always knows all the "higher ups". I remember from the HDTGM episode on Fast 5 someone wondering how they were able to afford a safe like that shipped overnight. Well, in this one, it's a very unnoticed line when Mia is thanking the DR guy for letting her stay, but he says, "Dom needed a safe delivered in Rio in two days, that was a problem." So he's the one that gave it to him. I would like to say that it's actually Ludacris that gets the safe in Fast 5 but continuity isn't the Furious crew's forte.

June would have Memento for these movies, if only she remembered the movie Memento.

• Like 2

Tokyo Drift is my favorite Fast and Furious movie. I've watched it more than the others combined.

Really? I find it so hard to care about anyone but Han in that movie. When I saw Furious 7 in the theater, I was so worried that Lucas Black and his obnoxious Alabama accent was going to be joining the crew.

• Like 1

My wife and I saw this on opening day with a packed, cheering house. Gawdamnit if that isn’t the perfect way to watch a movie. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time a movie-going experience felt that fun.

Anyhoo, here are some of the things I felt like commenting on from Furious 7:

*At the Race Wars (Seriously? C'mon!), Letty, in a post-win P.T.S.D.-fueled agoraphobic panic attack, hits a dude in the face. IN! THE!! FACE!!! His reaction? A dis-believing "wha...?" followed by an aw-shucks shrug after Dom makes him the butt of a joke. There's your testosterone-fueled machismo right there, race wars fans!

*Hobbs' character is part of the military, right? Wouldn't he qualify for treatment at a military hospital? I bring this up because when Dom visits Hobbs in the hospital, there's Hobbs' hand cannon sitting on a table right next to him. This seems to be visual cue to the audience that, 1.) the gun is there for Hobbs' protection, and 2.) the hospital staff is too intimidated by Hobbs' overwhelming charisma to take a loaded weapon away from him. So, given both of these assumptions, wouldn't Hobbs be safer receiving medical attention at a military hospital/base surrounded with soldiers carrying weapons?

*Who else misses Owen Shaw's henchwoman from 6? I was kind of hoping for a wide shot in Shaw's hospital room where we see her in the next bed over, also in a coma.

*Speaking of missing: Gal Gadot. Wonderful, perfect Gal Gadot. She’s listed in the credits, but only seen in an photograph?!? In Furious 8, I'm hoping for a didn't-really-die resurrection.

*Deckard Shaw leads Dom, Brian, Snake Plissken, and a group of G.I. Joes to his lair, knowing full well they're using the God's Eye to track him. The team is all, like, "That's where his holding up. Right there, in that cement factory." Okay, so they didn't see the small army lying in wait for them (that factory has to have cameras and the henchmen cell phones that God's Eye could easily tap into, but never mind...) But why, if the good guys know where Shaw is exactly, do they need to bring the God's Eye with them? "Oh, this super dangerous holy e-grail thing we hired this mercenary car stunt team to retrieve? Yeah, I'm bringing it with us on a black bag assignment to nab what we've now come to understand is a highly trained and unpredictable military strategist. No big deal."

*I know this was mentioned earlier, but Hobbs and the drone's mini gun: how is he firing it? Does the mini gun have a trigger and pistol grip? Looking at the still of The Rock firing said mini gun that another commenter posted earlier, it appears that it does not.

*The end of the film, when Brian rides off into the sunset, is pretty damned touching. I have to admit, it got me in a way I didn't think these films were capable of doing. That said, where is Brian going? He left Mia and their son back on the beach and he's riding off to... ? Was he going to circle back to the beach and continue playing in the surf with his family? Or is he simply leaving it all behind?

*Also, why haven’t Vans made a memorial Paul Walker shoe, where all proceeds go to the charity of the Walker family’s choosing? Like, say, teaching inner city kids how to work on cars or providing scholarships for in-need, college-bound kids from economically challenged communities. Seems like a no-brainer.

*Secret marriages? Always romantic.

• Like 1

So, in Three, they have Diesel swing by at the end and be, "I need your help." From the guy who was the lead in Three, and then they have three movies that flash back before that movie. So, like this guy from Three must be so important, right? Nope! This three movie flashback is only setting up a brief chat about Han. The guy contributes nothing.

Of course, the real takeaway from the end of Three is, "Yeah, we're done with these 'means nothing' sequels. Diesel is back for the next one, so you can start caring about these movies again, starting with the next one.