🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sanjay Yngwie Gupta Malmsteen

---

I've encountered this quite a bit, I think it's a pretty common trend: people will let any joke slide as long as it doesn't personally offend them, or offend what the media is telling them to be super-duper serious about at the current time. It's an offshoot of "dish it out but can't take it" because they will laugh at jokes directed at others but not at who they identify as or sympathize with. If somebody makes a joke about Asians or Caucasians right now, it can get big laughs. Make a joke about transgender or black people, you're walking on thin ice. Comedians at the clubs in my city who really get the biggest laughs from me (and usually the rest of the crowd) are people who can walk on that thin ice and still make great jokes. When a bit is racist, sexist, homophobic, etc., it's taking the biggest risk because it can either be tactless and unfunny or a huge hit with the crowd, and sometimes that's entirely up to the crowd. But the really great jokes can shine through because they don't jab at the thing in a hateful way, they just talk about that thing and really focus on the tension but turn it into something light and relaxing to make you laugh. It's kind of like a massage, kneading out the parts that really make us tense and uncomfortable. Reality, society, our day-to-day bullshit, however you want to say it, it's something we really need.

In other words, chill the fuck out man. I can tell from your post that you really love CBB, so maybe listen to the episode one more time and try to enjoy it as a bit rather than a serious attack on a specific people, especially with such consistent and poisonous undertones tracing back through the episodes. If you can provide examples of this in their comedy throughout the years I think it would give you a much stronger argument, but I just don't see it. I think both Scott and Paul are dear friends with many Jewish people and would likely be offended, or make a joke about it like they may have done in a recent episode, if they were accused of being so prejudiced.

I think I've rambled more than enough now. The TL;DR version of this is that people need to stop being so offended by everything, it's fucking exhausting. Since when does everyone have a right to an opinion, as if that makes their opinion correct, and the right to be offended?

"Fuck off, for once. For once just fuck off" - my drunk roommate several years ago as he tried to pass out on the couch

All of this, on point exactly. Didn't want to reply to this thread because it was really stupid and not worth fighting for. However, you said exactly what needs to be said. Thank you

You made a great argument up until the end when you said "people need to stop being so offended by everything, it's fucking exhausting. Since when does everyone have a right to an opinion, as if that makes their opinion correct, and the right to be offended?"

People love it when you tell them what they "NEED" to do.

Also everyone does have a right to their opinion and to be offended.

Sign in to follow this