🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 118.5 - MINISODE 118.5

WE MADE YOU!!!!! i LOVE IT

maxwanda.jpg

There is a sound effect that is used in this movie that is outstandingly amazing. and it is so over used.

I am trying to find it for you.

if you have not seen the movie don't watch this clip.SPOILERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZKZ1mnuF30

FOUND IT! 1:40 min mark of this clip..

cigar boy!

• Like 2

WE MADE YOU!!!!! i LOVE IT

maxwanda.jpg

There is a sound effect that is used in this movie that is outstandingly amazing. and it is so over used.

I am trying to find it on you.

if you have not seen the movie don't watch this clip.SPOILERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZKZ1mnuF30

FOUND IT! 1:40 min mark of this clip..

cigar boy!

Yeah that sound effect is pure gold, I just imagine that is what King heard inside his head after doing five lines of coke and his heart was pounding through his chest, and thought that would be great for the rest of humanity to hear.

I saw this movie when I was really young. My brother tricked me into watching it by telling me it was a sequel to Over the Top. All I remember about it was watermelons and AC/DC. Why so much AC/DC? Part of the truck stop mystique?

I feel like I see this at every gas station DVD stand. A gas station movie about gas stations...

Maximum Overdrive 3:19 - "By the sweat of your dirty brow you will drink your gasoline until you return to the oil well, since from it you were taken; for grease you are and to grease you will return."

• Like 2

I had three movies to watch this weekend, none of which I had seen, and only time enough to watch one. They were: Mad Max: Fury Road, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Maximum Overdrive. I chose to watch the Avengers...

giphy.gif

I'm a Marvel guy, but damn if that wasn't a steaming pile of crap. I guess this is what I get for shirking my HDTGM responsibilities.

• Like 2

I saw this movie when I was really young. My brother tricked me into watching it by telling me it was a sequel to Over the Top. All I remember about it was watermelons and AC/DC. Why so much AC/DC? Part of the truck stop mystique?

It's actually Stephen King's favorite band, and he asked them to do the movie's soundtrack. It was released as their album Who Made Who.

During the bridge scene at the beginning, the band is on a boat underneath the bridge.

I had three movies to watch this weekend, none of which I had seen, and only time enough to watch one. They were: Mad Max: Fury Road, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Maximum Overdrive. I chose to watch the Avengers...

giphy.gif

I'm a Marvel guy, but damn if that wasn't a steaming pile of crap. I guess this is what I get for shirking my HDTGM responsibilities.

I liked Ultron mostly for the performances from the actors, especially the villains. I just found it weird that Marvel was using a tent-pole movie in their series more to promote ideas in upcoming films rather than focus on what was built up towards the Avengers movie.

• Like 1

I'm a big pre-1990 John Carpenter fan, so I love the rest of the Apocalypse Trilogy, too.

For some reason I couldn't get into In the Mouth of Madness even though it combined two of my favorite horror tropes: Lovecraftian horror and hospital/insane asylum settings. Fun trivia, in Event Horizon Sam Neill is also insane and covered with marks, and We've Only Just Begun is also used in 1408.

might be The Conjuring directed by show favourite james wan. thats where we got our first glimpse of annabelle

Hmm, possible. Paul might also be talking about Sinister. Children were hanged in the movie. But not in Connecticut. I like both The Conjuring and Sinister.

they also date very fast. kinda like technology movies.

Agreed. I don't find the older horror movies scary at all. The less advanced special effects really take me out of the movies.

- ringu / ju - un / audition - i went thru a j-horror phase. i watched ringu late at night and in an empty house. a fun experience. i had never seen anything like it before. then hollywood ruined them

I've not seen Ringu, but The Ring is the movie that scared me the most. And not in a carthatic, fun way, but in a scarring way. I saw it when it came out in 2002. It's been over 10 years and thinking about it still gives me the shudders.

I recently saw Noroi: The Curse on YouTube. It's not your typical J-horror movie. It's a mockumentary. There's no gore, but it's scary and creepy.

Frailty - The story of a father who goes a little crazy and takes his two young children with him and involves them on his quest to kill people who are really demons in disguise. This movie works for me because it could very easily be a true story.

I knew I'd left off something in my list. I love Frailty.

Angela Bettis played a May-ish character in an episode of Criminal Minds.

Pontypool has been on Netflix for awhile but I've avoided it because the poster is so lurid. But your description piqued my interest. End of the Line sounds interesting as well.

• Like 3

That was surprisingly dull-it kind of reeked of a premise that was not well explored. You have mechanized objects getting a mind of their own and attacking humans...and the only thing that happens with that is some big rigs trap some people at a truck stop?

Yeesh.

• Like 1

The ending crawl... explains that a UFO was destroyed by a Russian "weather satellite" equipped with nuclear missiles. Can we get a movie about THAT?

• Like 1

I liked Ultron mostly for the performances from the actors, especially the villains. I just found it weird that Marvel was using a tent-pole movie in their series more to promote ideas in upcoming films rather than focus on what was built up towards the Avengers movie.

See, that didn't bother me too much. I'm not going to go so far as to say AoU angered me, but I will say I was disappointed and it should really think about what it did....

Maybe part of my problem was I just got around to finishing Daredevil on Friday, which I felt was really, really good, and then I turn around and see...this. I mean, a lot of the bad things about it have already been said about Ultron online, but I will say that I could easily spot a Whedon scene from a Marvel mandated scene, and in my opinion, Marvel was mostly right and Whedon was almost always wrong.

For instance, Whedon said:

"The dreams were not an executive favorite either — the dreams, the farmhouse, these were things I fought to keep … With the cave, it really turned into: they pointed a gun at the farm’s head and said, “Give us the cave, or we’ll take out the farm,” — in a civilized way. I respect these guys, they’re artists, but that’s when it got really, really unpleasant."

Um...the cave--although pointless for this movie's plot--lasted maybe 3 minutes? The goddamn dreams and farm house, on the other hand, Christ--they had to have made up at least a quarter of the film's entire run time--and they were interminable! Jesus man, Marvel is just asking for three minutes to set up Infinity War, and you're going to give them shit?

And, I'm sorry, but having your only female Avenger say, "You still think you're the only monster on the team?" because she had sterilization forced upon her--that's fucked up. Why is that even something that has to happen in an Avengers movie? And, for that matter, why does Black Widow have to be with anyone and why do babies have to factor into it at all?

I could go on, but I'll spare everyone my vitriol. It's not like I would suggest it for HDTGM or anything--it's not that kind of bad. It just did not make me happy. The things I did like about it were the things that only happened briefly. For example: I thought Andy Serkis' character was much more interesting than Ultron; I liked The Vision; I wish there had been more Falcon and War Machine; and I feel like the Twins were a wasted opportunity. Other than that, I don't really have anything good to say about it.

• Like 3

Well, I really loved Age of Ultron. It had some problems and I wish the Hawkeye character had his own Netflix series based on the Matt Fraction run of comics rather than have to compete with Space Gods by having a log cabin, but I still liked it.

• Like 4

At the end of Cap 2, I was looking forward to Cap 3 more than I was Avengers 2, and by the end of Avengers 2, I STILL wanted Cap 3 more than anything. Like someone else mentioned, this felt like a weird middle chapter, and minus a couple of key characters, it seems like "Civil War" might be the Avengers movie that I REALLY wanted.

• Like 1

Well, I really loved Age of Ultron. It had some problems and I wish the Hawkeye character had his own Netflix series based on the Matt Fraction run of comics rather than have to compete with Space Gods by having a log cabin, but I still liked it.

While I'm happy that they did something with Hawkeye to make him more interesting, I too was kind of crushed that the whole family revelation kind of squashes any hope of him living in a shitty apartment building and having misadventures with his wacky neighbors and the Tracksuit Draculas in his off-time. Actually, it doesn't HAVE to, he has to stay SOMEWHERE when he's in the city, but I don't think we'll see it, which is a shame because it lends itself SO fucking well to a TV show, bro!

• Like 3

And, for that matter, why does Black Widow have to be with anyone and why do babies have to factor into it at all?

And why have an ancient god call Black Widow a gendered insult (it's so vile that I refuse to type it out) in The Avengers? Anyway, there's nothing I want to say about Joss Whedon that hasn't already been said by josswhedonisnotafeminist.tumblr.com.

Jason and a bunch of HDTGM guests weigh in on their favorite Key & Peele sketches.

• Like 2

For instance, Whedon said:

"The dreams were not an executive favorite either — the dreams, the farmhouse, these were things I fought to keep … With the cave, it really turned into: they pointed a gun at the farm’s head and said, “Give us the cave, or we’ll take out the farm,” — in a civilized way. I respect these guys, they’re artists, but that’s when it got really, really unpleasant."

This has been one of my biggest pet peeves about Whedon is that it is never his fault, it is always someone else's doing when something in his project doesn't work. While Alien: Resurrection was not the best movie ever, it had a decent cast filled with veteran character actors and had some decent action, yet Whedon has ran that movie up and down and that none of it was his fault, it was all studio interference. Yes Joss, because the baby alien at the end would have been much better as a hermaphrodite with a giant vagina on its stomach as you had originally written and the studio had not changed it. With the initial success of Avengers 1 it pushed Whedon from a cult director to a mainstream film maker, and while people give Boondock Saints fans a bad rap for being jerks, they have nothing on Whedon fans who are goddamn brutal towards anyone who doesn't kiss the ground he walks on. And I couldn't have been happier for the backlash he got for the Black Widow thing after he was such a jerk about that 90 second clip from Jurassic World and he wore his feminist hat to bash a short scene with no context, but then he does what he did with Widow.

I actually liked Spader as Ultron and thought he was really perfect for the role of a murderous A.I. who is hellbent on forming the world in its own image and liked that they brought Hawkeye's family into the fray like in The Ultimates, because it added a great layer to a character initially shown as a cold hearted assasin, though I doubt they will go the route of Black Widow being a double agent who ends up killing his family in front of him.

There has been a push to have a series based on the female Hawkeye with Aubrey Plaza in the role, which I think is a perfect fit. Plus I would love to see the bro army in live action, bro.

Like someone else mentioned, this felt like a weird middle chapter, and minus a couple of key characters, it seems like "Civil War" might be the Avengers movie that I REALLY wanted.

I think it was Cinema Blend who wrote in its review of the movie that Avengers 2 is the Iron Man 2 of Avenger movies, which after seeing it is pretty apt.

• Like 3

It had some problems and I wish the Hawkeye character had his own Netflix series based on the Matt Fraction run of comics rather than have to compete with Space Gods by having a log cabin, but I still liked it.

Yes! I couldn't agree more!

At the end of Cap 2, I was looking forward to Cap 3 more than I was Avengers 2, and by the end of Avengers 2, I STILL wanted Cap 3 more than anything. Like someone else mentioned, this felt like a weird middle chapter, and minus a couple of key characters, it seems like "Civil War" might be the Avengers movie that I REALLY wanted.

While I'm happy that they did something with Hawkeye to make him more interesting, I too was kind of crushed that the whole family revelation kind of squashes any hope of him living in a shitty apartment building and having misadventures with his wacky neighbors and the Tracksuit Draculas in his off-time. Actually, it doesn't HAVE to, he has to stay SOMEWHERE when he's in the city, but I don't think we'll see it, which is a shame because it lends itself SO fucking well to a TV show, bro!

Yes! I couldn't agree more, bro!

And why have an ancient god call Black Widow a gendered insult (it's so vile that I refuse to type it out) in The Avengers? Anyway, there's nothing I want to say about Joss Whedon that hasn't already been said by josswhedonisnotafeminist.tumblr.com.

This has been one of my biggest pet peeves about Whedon is that it is never his fault, it is always someone else's doing when something in his project doesn't work.

There has been a push to have a series based on the female Hawkeye with Aubrey Plaza in the role, which I think is a perfect fit. Plus I would love to see the bro army in live action, bro.

Yeah, Bro--I couldn't agree more, bro!

Well Paul read one of my comments this week, so. Worth it.

Yes! I couldn't agree more! :)

• Like 2

Curious how a thread about a low budget movie based on a short story in which machine comes to life and kill humans turned into an AoU discussion which is a major tent pole movie based on a series of comics in which robots come to life and wants to kill humans

• Like 1

Anyway, just throw in my two cents in on the whole AoU thing. My friend who I saw it with is a Joss Whedon fanboy and a half. In fact I only got them to watch any of the Marvel movies based on the fact Whedon did Avengers and I told them you had to see the leading up movies to really get it. Anyway, when the movie was done we were both kinda disappointed but for different reasons. His reason was kinda simple and that is that this movie is peak Whedon. As good as a writer he is Whedon tends to fall back to certain themes and tropes and this movie hit everyone one on the head to the point it's almost paint by numbers. Most of all was the death of Quicksilver.

I felt Quicksilver was a mistake from the beginning. Yes, I am I life long comic fan and I understand his place in the Avengers but given the weird rights issues with Fox, why even bother? If they wanted Scarlett Witch, why not just mention she has a twin brother but we don't really see him a la her counter part in Days of Future Past. He didn't really add anything to the movie, and his death came off as kinda cheap. If we look at Coulson in the first movie that's a meaningful death. This is a character that through multiple appearances made a connection with the audience and the other characters in the film. So much so his death is what finally gets the characters to work together. He died saving the day and gave them something to "avenge." None of that is present with Quicksilver. He's a character who was kinda a jerk and a bad guy until moments before his death. If he died saving Stark, the man whom he hated and drove him and his sister to side with Ultron it would have had a greater impact not only for his character but Tony Stark as well. Rather he died saving a character whom with he supposedly had a rivalry despite them only really interacting barely three times before. In the end he died to save a character who we only just started caring for because Joss gave him a secret family. For me it just was weak writing and character development.

My friend unaware of comic history or inter-company deals, just said it's because Joss Whedon has to kill a main character. If we look at his track record Coulson in Avengers, Wash in Serenity, Penny in Dr. Horrible, Kitty Pryde in his X-Men run, Spike, Buffy and Angle from Buffy, this is a guy who likes to kill characters and it's comes off as lazy writing. That sounds harsh and some of those deaths are handled well but if you are stuck with how to motivate a character or cause change in them, having someone die is a cheap and effective way of doing this. This works in most of the shows and comics within the context of the stories but when you look at them all lined up it's clear it is nothing more than a crutch to how he writes.

To cut a long story short we both agreed Joss needs to take a bit of a breather and ultimately it's good that he's off doing his own thing again. Again I didn't hate Age of Ultron, just was coming off of Winter Soldier and Guardians Marvel seemed to be climbing and this was more of a step down.

• Like 3

I am decidedly NOT a Whedon fanboy and I wish the guy wouldn't air his Show Business dirty laundry like he's done, especially after the Avengers movies made bajillions for Marvel, Disney, and himself. Sure, I can see why someone involved in Fantastic Four would be super pissed about what happened to that film, but why blame other people for what happened on a movie that most people enjoyed (well, at least I did) and made everybody a bunch of money? I don't get it. Firefly, sure, give Fox shit; it's their fault for hiring Whedon to make a Whedon show, then getting scared and messing with it when it was too Whedon. But blaming Marvel for the content of AoU seems like burning bridges that are still perfectly functional and well-maintained and currently in use by motorists just trying to get to work. I just want good stories, man!

And bros, Aubrey Plaza in a Hawkeye series, interacting with Pizza Dog and tracksuited gangsters chanting bro all the time? I am DOWN for that, bros!

• Like 3

I am decidedly NOT a Whedon fanboy and I wish the guy wouldn't air his Show Business dirty laundry like he's done, especially after the Avengers movies made bajillions for Marvel, Disney, and himself. Sure, I can see why someone involved in Fantastic Four would be super pissed about what happened to that film, but why blame other people for what happened on a movie that most people enjoyed (well, at least I did) and made everybody a bunch of money? I don't get it. Firefly, sure, give Fox shit; it's their fault for hiring Whedon to make a Whedon show, then getting scared and messing with it when it was too Whedon. But blaming Marvel for the content of AoU seems like burning bridges that are still perfectly functional and well-maintained and currently in use by motorists just trying to get to work. I just want good stories, man!

I agree with you on this. I brought up the cave thing, because by virtue of him bringing it up, I was left no choice but to compare the scenes. Had he not said anything, when I watched the cave scene, all I could have said was, "That was weird and out of place," but otherwise, pretty harmless.

I just felt like the movie had too much of Whedon's stink on it--and this is coming from someone who generally likes a lot (not all) of what he has done. I just didn't feel like there was dialog in the movie, just an endless stream of quips. And while some were funny, there were so many of them that none of them had room to breathe. It was like the entire movie was written backward (i.e. "I want Iron Man to say this line, so what can I have Cap say to get IM to say that?"). It just didn't feel like anything was organic (Ha! They fight robots in this movie!). And when the movie wasn't preoccupied with "what funny thing can someone say here?" it was awash in pseudo-sentimentality.

BW: I would've joined you, but uh, it didn't seem like the right time.

BB: They used up all the hot water.

BW: I should've joined you.

BB: Missed our window.

BW: Did we?

It's like Whedon has forgotten how people actually talk. Or, at the very least, doesn't understand how relationships work. The Black Widow/ Hulk thing just felt so icky. I mean, I get it. Hawkeye, Widow, and Hulk don't have their own franchises so let's get into their characters more. Let's give Hawkeye a farm and a family! That's "depth of character," right? And his wife, she'll be like, a total baby factory. This is to establish that she's not a monster. Great Idea! And, okay, what's Widow going to do? Well, she's got a vagina, doesn't she? I guess we better give her a boyfriend--even if that relationship hasn't been pre-established or make any sense! Boom! Character growth! High fives, everyone!

The whole movie just made me ask:

What the FUCK is goin' on here?!

fac4bacfd188d544123acefb48b7e7aa.gif

And to be fair, I think the reason I had such issues with it is that I expected so much from it and really wanted to like it.

Also, I loved Maximum Overdrive!

• Like 4

I just felt like the movie had too much of Whedon's stink on it--and this is coming from someone who generally likes a lot (not all) of what he has done. I just didn't feel like there was dialog in the movie, just an endless stream of quips. And while some were funny, there were so many of them that none of them had room to breathe. It was like the entire movie was written backward (i.e. "I want Iron Man to say this line, so what can I have Cap say to get IM to say that?"). It just didn't feel like anything was organic (Ha! They fight robots in this movie!). And when the movie wasn't preoccupied with "what funny thing can someone say here?" it was awash in pseudo-sentimentality.

BW: I would've joined you, but uh, it didn't seem like the right time.

BB: They used up all the hot water.

BW: I should've joined you.

BB: Missed our window.

BW: Did we?

It's like Whedon has forgotten how people actually talk. Or, at the very least, doesn't understand how relationships work. The Black Widow/ Hulk thing just felt so icky. I mean, I get it. Hawkeye, Widow, and Hulk don't have their own franchises so let's get into their characters more. Let's give Hawkeye a farm and a family! That's "depth of character," right? And his wife, she'll be like, a total baby factory. This is to establish that she's not a monster. Great Idea! And, okay, what's Widow going to do? Well, she's got a vagina, doesn't she? I guess we better give her a boyfriend--even if that relationship hasn't been pre-established or make any sense! Boom! Character growth! High fives, everyone!

I swear I was gonna post about how quippy Whedon's dialogues are and how they don't resemble normal human speech before I'd read your post.

Whedon's dialogues are nails scratching down the chalkboard of my brain. They are so smug and wink-y. And yes, full of quips. You know how writers usually write dialogues in service of plot and characters? It's as if Whedon's goals are to fill up the quotes page on IMDB and to generate content for Tumblr and Buzzfeed .

I think the Black Widow/Hulk relationship is icky too. Something about Black Widow's Hulk whispering.

I hate most of Whedon's stuff. There's always something really gross about the way his female characters are written.

While Alien: Resurrection was not the best movie ever, it had a decent cast filled with veteran character actors and had some decent action, yet Whedon has ran that movie up and down and that none of it was his fault, it was all studio interference.

I actually like Alien: Resurrection a lot. We get to see more alien behavior (e.g. killing one of their own to escape) and we also see aliens underwater. And this is one of the most chilling scenes I've seen.

alien-resurrection-alien-resurrection-hybrid-1144316656.jpg

Ripley's characterization sucked in A:R though. I blame Whedon.

Genevieve Valentine, in a comment of her great review of A:R, described the movie as "overtly maternal and gendered." Even early in Whedon's career he likes to foist issues of pregnancy on female characters.

Watching AoU it struck me that the dialogue, in addition to being annoying as fuck, also sounded really dated. There was a time it seems that everyone tried to write like Whedon, but people have thankfully moved on. Hopefully the Age of Whedon is over. I can't imagine studios would want to work with Whedon anymore what with his track record of badmouthing them. And if that means more opportunites for new-ish movie directors like Scott Derrickson, whose only notable work is the quite good Sinister, then even better.

• Like 2

I got around to watching this last night. It's so loud and just awful to listen to overall that I was angry at it. This is possibly the worst sound-mixed movie they've done, and I'm counting Birdemic. What in the literal fuck was going on when they mixed this? Let's turn Lisa Simpson way the fuck up and BOOM SHITTY AC/DC MUSIC EXPLOSION AC/DC.

Fuck this movie.