🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 118.5 - MINISODE 118.5

The Kathryn Bigelow comment was in regards to female directors doing action movies. He said that most people point to Bigelow as an action director and this is the person that stupid people mention because they don't know of anyone else like Lexi Alexander. It wasn't a comment that there enough female directors in Hollywood because of Bigelow, but that they have the gall to not know of anyone else, but it goes the same for male directors too in that there are a lot of good ones out there but most people only know a real handful. I'm amazed that I remember it that well though I'm not surprised because I remember some of the stupidest shit. Family member's birthday, no idea, overall summary of a pro wrestling storyline from 1999, I can talk for an hour on that shit because it's my jam.

Confession: with the exception of a few titles, I've always been more of a DC guy (partly because Batman's been my jam since I was about 6 years old, and partly because I don't like a certain mustachioed former Marvel president that everyone seems to think is the fucking messiah).

But now I feel like I need to go read the Matt Fraction Hawkeye stuff because y'all have made it sound pretty great.

I too am a DC guy mainly for Batman who is the shit, but Marvel has hit it out of the park with their Marvel Now line. With Superior Foes of Spiderman, Deadpool, Secret Avengers, Hawkeye, and Wolverine and the X-Men, among others they have some amazing series. DC has always had a problem of overloading on their keystone characters like Superman, Batman and the Green Lantern. They have built up some good series with Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman, the Suicide Squad, and Red Hood and the Outlaws, but you look back at the other stories in the New 52 and they just don't hold as much water.

Also, you guys need to check out Fraction's other stuff like Sex Criminals which is hilarious and amazing.

As opposed to his fictional son, the one that thinks he's God's gift TO US ALL! Jeez, one's a shitty musician, while the other is a shitty actor/filmmaker. If put in a "Sophie's Choice"-style dilemma, how can he possibly decide which one has to keep on living?

Yeah, but have you seen those Left Behind movies? I grew up in a very religious household (and my parents are still pretty big Southern Baptists). My mom made me watch the first Left Behind when it came out as what I can only assume was some kind of attempt at a cinematic intervention. Little did she know that she was just igniting the spark of my love for really, really shitty movies.

• Like 1

Also, you guys need to check out Fraction's other stuff like Sex Criminals which is hilarious and amazing.

He also had a really fun run on "Punisher: War Journal", whose final issue included Rhino teaching Frank Castle the true meaning of Christmas, or at least convincing him to not kill some stupid street kids that had come in possession of Stilt-Man's armor. Frank had killed Stilt-Man at the beginning of the series and then crashed the funeral and destroyed everyone in attendance.

• Like 2

Sex Criminals is 100% also amazing. I'm not going issue by issue with it but I love what I've read so far.

Also I highly recommend Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel & Bitch Planet.

• Like 1

I will say though that if anything, skip his Casanova series as I read all three volumes and it is maybe one of the most WTF series I have ever read. It was like he read Gerard Way's Umbrella Academy and thought "I can go crazier," hell he even had UA artist Gabriel Ba do the art for most of the series.

Sex Criminals is 100% also amazing. I'm not going issue by issue with it but I love what I've read so far.

Also I highly recommend Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel & Bitch Planet.

How far have you gotten on Sex Criminals because there is amazing stuff in it like Kegel Face, the dildo throne, and of course, butt stuff.

Bitch Planet is in my Amazon cart, and if you like prison-set stories check out Concrete Park by Tony Puryear (writer of the Schwartzenegger film Eraser) and his wife Erika Alexander (Cosby Show and Living Single). It's a great mix of sci-fi and Oz and is an amazing comic debut for a creating team.

• Like 1

How far have you gotten on Sex Criminals because there is amazing stuff in it like Kegel Face, the dildo throne, and of course, butt stuff.

Bitch Planet is in my Amazon cart, and if you like prison-set stories check out Concrete Park by Tony Puryear (writer of the Schwartzenegger film Eraser) and his wife Erika Alexander (Cosby Show and Living Single). It's a great mix of sci-fi and Oz and is an amazing comic debut for a creating team.

I'm not sure if they've released the second book yet but I am only as far as the first one (so issue 7 or 8 if my memory is correct). Those sound familiar but that might also be because I'm so immersed in Fraction culture now lol.

I'll add Concrete Park to my reading list!

• Like 1

Yeah the second volume is out for Sex Criminals. Concrete Park is great and I met Tony and Erika at the American Library Association convention this past June and they are really passionate about their work, but they don't take themselves too seriously, which was evident by a 20 minute conversation I had with them about how covering up the nipples and some of the sex they feature in their comic would allow it to be purchased and put into the prison library that I run.

• Like 2

Hey! You actually read the article! :) I agree with what you said about Noah. The way he handled the affair was great. That thing would've blown over quicker had Patton Oswalt not come to his "defence".

Yes, I rather liked how Noah responded admitting he was dumb. I think, now that everything is saved forever on the internet, we need to get better at apologizing for jokes that don't work. Rather than being defensive. Another "controversy" referenced in this thread was Renner and Evans calling Black Widow a "slut." And I KNOW they were trying to make a joke that landed flat. But when the apologies came around I thought that what Evans' people released was better than Renner's. Because it's not so much that you made a joke that wasn't funny/fuck up (everyone fucks up); it's that you don't want to model that behavior for others.

Anyway, I've missed most of this thread but I will pile on my own love of Matt Fraction's HAWKEYE run. Also love Aja's art. I think it was cool how they leaned into Hawkeye being the human and fallible one. I rather wish they would do that with some of the movies, instead of insisting bigger is better. Because the whole thing with Kevin Feige restructuring Marvel so he didn't have to report to Ike Perlmutter anymore (which was pretty recent), they mentioned that this was what Feige blamed for Edgar Wright leaving "Ant-Man" and Joss Whedon's contentious time with "AoU". While I wish Wright had not left "Ant-man," I don't think giving Joss Whedon more money would've fixed AoU.

• Like 3

Hey guys, I hope it's ok to ask here. I'm looking for movies where people's survival is dependent on light. The only ones I know are Pitch Black, 30 Days of Night, Darkness, and Vanishing on 7th Street. Please give me suggestions!

• Like 1

Hey guys, I hope it's ok to ask here. I'm looking for movies where people's survival is dependent on light. The only ones I know are Pitch Black, 30 Days of Night, Darkness, and Vanishing on 7th Street. Please give me suggestions!

Darkness falls and Are You Afraid of the Dark are the only other ones that come to mind for me.

• Like 2

Please do read Hawkeye! It's straight up amazing, bro.

Should I just start at the beginning of his run? Looks like My Life as a Weapon is the start of his run, and I could totally have that on my Kindle tonight (I know; I know....but I had to switch away from physical comic books except for a few really dear TPBs so I wouldn't end up on Hoarders).

Is that the best place to start? Or would you recommend somewhere else?

• Like 3

Never mind. Already bought it. I'm on the second page and already love it. Mostly because of this:

NcdeoAp.png

AKA - how Hobbs and Elena should have looked after the first 10 minutes of Furious 7.

• Like 5

Darkness falls and Are You Afraid of the Dark are the only other ones that come to mind for me.

Thanks! I'd forgotten about Darkness Falls.

But when the apologies came around I thought that what Evans' people released was better than Renner's.

Ah yes. Renner decided to go the "I'm sorry you were offended" route.

2utq5ms.jpg

• Like 3

Should I just start at the beginning of his run? Looks like My Life as a Weapon is the start of his run, and I could totally have that on my Kindle tonight (I know; I know....but I had to switch away from physical comic books except for a few really dear TPBs so I wouldn't end up on Hoarders).

Is that the best place to start? Or would you recommend somewhere else?

Yeah it's best to start at the beginning since that's when the new characters are primarily introduced and DC and Marvel have become pretty hardcore with keeping up the continuity within their stories. Though this will be a bit more difficult in the coming months as the series are restarted after Secret Wars, which has led to things like Uncanny Avengers going 5 volumes in TPB, restarting for one, and then ending again.

And I too know the struggle of having a crapton of TPBs:

And yes, the only reason those paperbacks are on top of my desk is because all of the drawers and cabinets are full. Yet being a librarian and lifelong book reader, I will always keep with paper over electronic, though I understand the convenience of it.

• Like 2

Ah yes. Renner decided to go the "I'm sorry you were offended" route.

He also then proceeded to call her a slut again on Conan. So, clearly -- lesson learned.

Yeah it's best to start at the beginning since that's when the new characters are primarily introduced and DC and Marvel have become pretty hardcore with keeping up the continuity within their stories. Though this will be a bit more difficult in the coming months as the series are restarted after Secret Wars, which has led to things like Uncanny Avengers going 5 volumes in TPB, restarting for one, and then ending again.

Yeah, I didn't realize this was a whole new series. I thought it was just his run on an existing title.

And yes, the only reason those paperbacks are on top of my desk is because all of the drawers and cabinets are full. Yet being a librarian and lifelong book reader, I will always keep with paper over electronic, though I understand the convenience of it.

Much like my comics, I buy physical copies of books I really love. And there are certain authors that I will always buy in a physical book (although I own some in both formats because I don't really want to buy Slaughterhouse-Five a fourth time because it's falling apart again). But I used to have four full-sized bookshelves that were completely full, and I had to do something about it.

Side note: if anyone has anything to actually say that's on topic, feel free to jump in. I honestly enjoy riding out these derails with you guys, so I'm happy to keep it going, but I understand if anyone wants to actually talk about the mini-ep or Maximum Overdrive.

• Like 4

I hate that I missed so much of the conversation over the last couple of pages--but y'know work, traffic, other things not as important as crappy movies and comic books.

As always, I admire all of your tastes! Would it be strange if we started a HDTGM comic book club thread on the forums? I don't want recommendations and discussions with those Internet weirdos out there--I trust all of your opinions and can expect an engaging conversation with you all. Or is that idea abusing the HDTGM message boards?

• Like 4

I hate that I missed so much of the conversation over the last couple of pages--but y'know work, traffic, other things not as important as crappy movies and comic books.

As always, I admire all of your tastes! Would it be strange if we started a HDTGM comic book club thread on the forums? I don't want recommendations and discussions with those Internet weirdos out there--I trust all of your opinions and can expect an engaging conversation with you all. Or is that idea abusing the HDTGM message boards?

This is the first post of yours I've noticed with the updated signature. That scene was so hilariously awkward. I really hope they talk about the kissing scenes between Emilio Estevez and Laura Harrington. They made me legit uncomfortable.

Anyway, I would totally be down for that.

There is an off-topic forum, but that wouldn't be just for our HDTGM regulars.

• Like 2

Well the Heynong Man guys keep popping up here every few days, so what would be the difference?

• Like 1

Side note: if anyone has anything to actually say that's on topic, feel free to jump in. I honestly enjoy riding out these derails with you guys, so I'm happy to keep it going, but I understand if anyone wants to actually talk about the mini-ep or Maximum Overdrive.

I also enjoy our off-topic conversations.

Honestly, I like to keep the "movie of the week" discussions for the episode proper. I see minisode episodes as a free for all, wherever the conversation takes us, kind of thing.

Although, toward Wednesday/Thursday before a mini-episode, I don't mind if the main episode thread derails a bit too. Usually by that point, everything that is going to be said has been. By Wednesday we're usually flooded with posts of the "this-is-my-first-post-and-I-didn't-bother-to-read-any-of-it-and-I'm-not-sure-if-this-has-been-brought-up-but..." variety.

• Like 4

There is an off-topic forum, but that wouldn't be just for our HDTGM regulars.

Oh, fuck that then. HDTGM fans are the best fans and the only ones I wish to have dealings with. :)

• Like 3

I also enjoy our off-topic conversations.

Honestly, I like to keep the "movie of the week" discussions for the episode proper. I see minisode episodes as a free for all, where the conversation takes us kind of thing.

Although, toward Wednesday/Thursday before a mini-episode, I don't mind if the main episode thread derails a bit too. Usually by that point, everything that is going to be said has been. By Wednesday we're usually flooded with posts of the "this-is-my-first-post-and-I-didn't-bother-to-read-any-of-it-and-I'm-not-sure-if-this-has-been-brought-up-but..." variety.

My first response to this is to wait about two more pages and then ask if anyone wants to start a comic book club. But honestly, I'll forget how funny that idea is to me right now by then.

• Like 2

As usual due to time zones I miss out on the bulk on the conversation.

I second or third or whatever number it's at the idea of a comic discussion thread.

• Like 3

Welp, just finished Vol 1 of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye. Pretty great so far, but about 2/3 of the way through, I realized that he totally looks like a grown-up version of Hank Venture. It took a lot of focus not to hear his voice when I would read Clint's narration.

• Like 1