🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 118.5 - MINISODE 118.5

I also enjoy our off-topic conversations.

Honestly, I like to keep the "movie of the week" discussions for the episode proper. I see minisode episodes as a free for all, wherever the conversation takes us, kind of thing.

Although, toward Wednesday/Thursday before a mini-episode, I don't mind if the main episode thread derails a bit too. Usually by that point, everything that is going to be said has been. By Wednesday we're usually flooded with posts of the "this-is-my-first-post-and-I-didn't-bother-to-read-any-of-it-and-I'm-not-sure-if-this-has-been-brought-up-but..." variety.

Not helping us stay on topic is the fact that we know that this episode is already in the can, what with it being the second half of the double-header with "Furious 7", so we're not going to influence the discussion of the film itself in any way.

Confession: with the exception of a few titles, I've always been more of a DC guy...

I'm the exact opposite. Aside from Batman & Family, I've never been able to get into DC books. I think some of their stuff is good, but I feel they are consistently inconsistent. Like, I'll read a great arc of Superman or Wonder Woman, and then the next arc will (in my opinion) be utter garbage. I mean, I've tried on a few separate occasions to get into Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run, but it could never hold my interest. I haven't given up on them completely, but now I just collect their TPBs of "classic" stories and forget about the rest.

I will say though that if anything, skip his Casanova series as I read all three volumes and it is maybe one of the most WTF series I have ever read. It was like he read Gerard Way's Umbrella Academy and thought "I can go crazier," hell he even had UA artist Gabriel Ba do the art for most of the series.

I totally agree with this. I wanted to like Casanova so bad, and it feels like something I would be into, but I just found it obnoxious. As much as we've sang Fraction's praise on this thread, I have to say, there's a lot of his work I don't like. But when I do like something he does--I love it.

(I know; I know....but I had to switch away from physical comic books except for a few really dear TPBs so I wouldn't end up on Hoarders).

Hey man, you gotta do what you gotta do. I had to move away from floppies for the same reason--well, that and the fact the LCBS in the town I moved to is a sweaty gym sock reeking den of misanthropic, uber-nerds (seriously guys--fight the stereotype, okay?). Now, as much as possible, I try to go for Omnibuses. Having 20 or so issues of a run in one place satisfies my need for instant gratification and keeps things pretty compact.

Otherwise, I've gone digital on most other books. I had to when I realized (after moving for the 4th or 5th time) that I had something around 30 boxes of books and I had no desire to ever lift them again.

• Like 4

Seeing as there is lots of Fraction talk in here, I'm curious if anybody is reading ODY-C? I'm not entirely sold on it. I don't know if it's the art of what, but I just can't get into it.

Also, for anybody that liked Fraction's Hawkeye I would highly recommend The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, which I thought was the best new Marvel book since Hawkeye. Steve Lieber who's the illustrator on Superior Foes did some of the fill in work for Aja on Hawkeye, and both of them have really good story telling in their work. If anybody has read Superior Foes, just think of that double page spread of the break-in at Owl's head quarters. Also for a comedy story his pacing and staging of the gags is top notch. Nick Spencer's writing is also equally great. Good mix of broad and subtle humor, surprising amounts of character depth and a "who and why dunnit" story that keeps you guessing until the end.

If you haven't read it it centers on six C to Z list Spider-Man villians (personally I'd say Shocker in an A list villain but I'm mostly alone on that) lead by Boomerang who form a new Sinister Six not to defeat Spider-Man but to pull of an elaborate heist. A heist that is all a ploy by Boomerang to pay off his debts, or is really about talking over the Maggia, or is all about getting revenge, and the twists keep coming as other gangs and other villains get tangled into it all. Even if you're not familiar with all the characters don't worry because most were minor characters without large backstories anyways, and it covers at some point all you need to know about their pasts. In fact in 17 issues or so Nick Spencer gives some of them more growth and depth than they ever had.

If you're still not sold, at a certain point one of the main supporting characters is the head of a mob boss attached to an RC car.

• Like 2

Of course this movie is garbage, that's why they are covering it on the show.

Why does "AC/DC suck" in your opinion? Is it because they helped revolutionize an entire genre of music and were the forerunners in a geography than previously hadn't really been exposed to blues rock? Granted post-Bon Scott, they got a little lackadaisical; but, Angus Young is one of the best guitarists ever. They may not be your cup of tea, but you have to admit that they were/are a talented band for their style, instead of just using a blanket statement like AC/DC suck (which isn't even grammatically correct).

If this movie is boring, don't watch it.

Now get off my lawn you little bastard!

Seeing as there is lots of Fraction talk in here, I'm curious if anybody is reading ODY-C? I'm not entirely sold on it. I don't know if it's the art of what, but I just can't get into it.

I absolutely adore ODY-C, especially the art. I'm sorry you can't get into it. I have a huge attachment to myths and a fascination with unique re-contextualizations of them. ODY-C hits all of those idiosyncratic art fetishes.

Anyway, as a comic book store employee and a lifetime nerd, it does my heart good to see all this Fraction/Deconnick talk on this movie message board. Good stuff guys! :)

• Like 2

Welp, just finished Vol 1 of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye. Pretty great so far, but about 2/3 of the way through, I realized that he totally looks like a grown-up version of Hank Venture. It took a lot of focus not to hear his voice when I would read Clint's narration.

I got all Mr. Burns on this cause excellllleeeennntttt. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

• Like 2

I'm the exact opposite. Aside from Batman & Family, I've never been able to get into DC books. I think some of their stuff is good, but I feel they are consistently inconsistent. Like, I'll read a great arc of Superman or Wonder Woman, and then the next arc will (in my opinion) be utter garbage. I mean, I've tried on a few separate occasions to get into Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run, but it could never hold my interest. I haven't given up on them completely, but now I just collect their TPBs of "classic" stories and forget about the rest.

Supes is really boring to me, but I can deal with him better in Justice League or when he crops up in other stories (especially Batman or Wonder Woman stories). While Marvel is definitely more consistent, for me, when DC is on, they're REALLY on. And the stuff I enjoy from DC I enjoy a lot more than the stuff I enjoy from Marvel (with this exception of really classic stuff like Claremont's X-Men). The current run of Suicide Squad is a great example. There have been a minor number of missteps, but overall, it's the comic I've looked forward to more than any other since the New 52 launch. The Batgirl run by Gail Simone was really good, but it got pretty "meh" after she left.

As far as Geoff Johns' run on GL goes, Blackest Night was awesome, but I'd recommend only reading what he wrote (the Blackest Night title and the accompanying GL issues). With a few exceptions, I don't like reading a bunch of tie-ins to major event storylines because they're basically just trying to milk their cash cows, and they rarely make for great stories. But Johns did a great job with those two titles.

I got all Mr. Burns on this cause excellllleeeennntttt. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah. I already bought the next two volumes. Maybe that will last me until the weekend...

• Like 2

I absolutely adore ODY-C, especially the art. I'm sorry you can't get into it. I have a huge attachment to myths and a fascination with unique re-contextualizations of them. ODY-C hits all of those idiosyncratic art fetishes.

Anyway, as a comic book store employee and a lifetime nerd, it does my heart good to see all this Fraction/Deconnick talk on this movie message board. Good stuff guys! :)

My issue with the art is not so much the line work but more with the colours. I get the vibe they're wanting to put out and some of the pages really pop with a mixture of these bright psychedelic colours, but some were just awash in pinks and reds and that's what gets me after awhile. Like those times, particularly when with the cyclops, for me it felt kinda flat because of the colours. I'm still reading it, but I think I'll probably enjoy it more as a whole when it's done.

Oh man I can't believe I forgot to recommend Nathan Edmondson's Black Widow! Y'all this book is STELLAR! Phil Noto does the art for it and it's breathtaking. And there are a couple of times where she has a run in with Hawkeye and you can tell that Nathan is also a huge fan of Matt Fraction and it just works so well.

Nathan also wrote 6 pages of a screenplay for a Black Widow movie and it is everything I've ever wanted for her. The MCU needs to open up their damn eyes and realize they have someone who could do her justice.

• Like 3

As far as Geoff Johns' run on GL goes, Blackest Night was awesome, but I'd recommend only reading what he wrote (the Blackest Night title and the accompanying GL issues). With a few exceptions, I don't like reading a bunch of tie-ins to major event storylines because they're basically just trying to milk their cash cows, and they rarely make for great stories. But Johns did a great job with those two titles.

Maybe you can help me then Fister. I use to read a fair amount of DC stuff. Particularly my favourite characters were Green Lantern and Flash. I was also big into the 80s stuff like Suicide Squad and the JLI. However, around the time of DC's... second or third 52 week event. The one after Superboy Prime, I just got tired of lot of the stuff. It must have been around of the start of Blackest Night as well. Like you said there was too much tie in stuff. Like I always felt I was missing something or things would happen in an unrelated title that would pop in one I read with no explanation. It was around this time I kinda just quit on the DC stuff. When the new 52 started I thought this would be a perfect jumping on point, however somebody told me that it was not exactly "all new." I wanted to get back into Green Lantern and Suicide Squad but I wasn't sure if it was a fresh start or how much I needed to know about the stuff leading up to the new 52 to enjoy it or understand it. If I were to just pick up Green Lantern from the start of the new 52 is it accessible if I had not read past the start of Blackest Night?

Nathan also wrote 6 pages of a screenplay for a Black Widow movie and it is everything I've ever wanted for her. The MCU needs to open up their damn eyes and realize they have someone who could do her justice.

That first paragraph:

Sure, Marvel Studios may have greenlighted a Captain Marvel movie which will be their first female-led MCU feature, but Black Widow (along with Deathlok and The Punisher) comic book writer Nathan Edmondson still wants a solo movie based on Scarlett Johansson's Avenger real bad and is asking for fan support.

Weren't we talking about something along these lines way earlier in this conversation? Like, OMG, how dare we have TWO female-led MCU movies! (For real, though, I'm kind of pumped about Captain Marvel. I do love me some Carol Danvers.)

Maybe you can help me then Fister. I use to read a fair amount of DC stuff. Particularly my favourite characters were Green Lantern and Flash. I was also big into the 80s stuff like Suicide Squad and the JLI. However, around the time of DC's... second or third 52 week event. The one after Superboy Prime, I just got tired of lot of the stuff. It must have been around of the start of Blackest Night as well. Like you said there was too much tie in stuff. Like I always felt I was missing something or things would happen in an unrelated title that would pop in one I read with no explanation. It was around this time I kinda just quit on the DC stuff. When the new 52 started I thought this would be a perfect jumping on point, however somebody told me that it was not exactly "all new." I wanted to get back into Green Lantern and Suicide Squad but I wasn't sure if it was a fresh start or how much I needed to know about the stuff leading up to the new 52 to enjoy it or understand it. If I were to just pick up Green Lantern from the start of the new 52 is it accessible if I had not read past the start of Blackest Night?

i think both of those titles are pretty accessible. Suicide Squad definitely is. It's completely from scratch and starts out with a really great Harley story arc.

I seem to remember GL being pretty accessible, too, but I don't really remember offhand. There are a few things you need to know (like how Hal lost his ring), but I think they do a pretty good job of recapping those events and don't just expect you to know the whole story already.

• Like 3

Weren't we talking about something along these lines way earlier in this conversation? Like, OMG, how dare we have TWO female-led MCU movies! (For real, though, I'm kind of pumped about Captain Marvel. I do love me some Carol Danvers.)

i think both of those titles are pretty accessible. Suicide Squad definitely is. It's completely from scratch and starts out with a really great Harley story arc.

Yeah I absolutely hate it when articles twist things to make it sound like there can't be more than one female led movie at a time. That's definitely not what Nathan was proposing at all, but since we now have Captain Marvel they no longer have the ability to throw out excuses as to why Black Widow shouldn't have a movie as well. At least that's what I got from Nathan lol.

I'm actually gonna try and pick up the Suicide Squad now. I love Harley Quinn A LOT so anything where she gets a good arc is A+ with me.

• Like 1

Yeah I absolutely hate it when articles twist things to make it sound like there can't be more than one female led movie at a time. That's definitely not what Nathan was proposing at all, but since we now have Captain Marvel they no longer have the ability to throw out excuses as to why Black Widow shouldn't have a movie as well. At least that's what I got from Nathan lol.

I'm actually gonna try and pick up the Suicide Squad now. I love Harley Quinn A LOT so anything where she gets a good arc is A+ with me.

I just hate that Marvel gets flack for not having female or minority-driven solo flicks, while still having several strong characters in major roles. If you want to talk about a lack of diversity, look no further than WB/DC, where they have trouble getting movies to exist that don't star Superman and/or Batman. Suicide Squad is a good first step (even if it leans heavily on the Batman connection), and they have a pretty diverse slate of films that they'd LIKE to make, but if BatsVsSupes isn't as big as it needs to be, that goes up in smoke and it won't matter that "Wonder Woman" was going to have more women on its crew than any other film ever, which has exactly zero to do with whether the movie would have been any good or not.

• Like 1

I just hate that Marvel gets flack for not having female or minority-driven solo flicks, while still having several strong characters in major roles. If you want to talk about a lack of diversity, look no further than WB/DC, where they have trouble getting movies to exist that don't star Superman and/or Batman. Suicide Squad is a good first step (even if it leans heavily on the Batman connection), and they have a pretty diverse slate of films that they'd LIKE to make, but if BatsVsSupes isn't as big as it needs to be, that goes up in smoke and it won't matter that "Wonder Woman" was going to have more women on its crew than any other film ever, which has exactly zero to do with whether the movie would have been any good or not.

I agree that WB/DC could use more female-led films, but they could just use post-Dark Knight Trilogy films that aren't complete shit, too. Marvel gets flack for it because they're running the only actually successful comic book film franchise at the moment.

• Like 4

I agree that WB/DC could use more female-led films, but they could just use post-Dark Knight Trilogy films that aren't complete shit, too. Marvel gets flack for it because they're running the only actually successful comic book film franchise at the moment.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Marvel is so comically (heh...) ahead of the game that their detractors have to find SOMETHING to ding them on, never mind the fact that this whole new superhero movie environment wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for what they've achieved so far, because they've rewritten the book. They've accomplished all sorts of crazy things, and will continue to do so, while the Distinguished Competition SHOULD be worrying more about getting their own projects off the ground than criticizing the best in the business on the one or two things that they haven't done. Marvel will still get the last laugh when "Squirrel Gorl" breaks every box office record.

• Like 1

So let me see if I understand the complete story ...

A UFO travels across the universe and harnesses the power of a comet tail to control inanimate objects on earth. After sucessfully conquering and destroying a truck stop they are wiped out by a laser blast from a Russian satelite. The End.

That seems simple enough, now a few questions ...

Why are trucks being controlled but cars seem unaffected?

Why after being attacked by a machine gun do the heros run into a room full of other guns?

Why does the RPG need to be at reloaded at some times but not others?

Why do the heros assume the boat will not attack them or try to kill them?

Why are the aliens trying to take the truck stop?

Most importantly ... How did this get made?

• Like 1

That's kind of what I was getting at. Marvel is so comically (heh...) ahead of the game that their detractors have to find SOMETHING to ding them on, never mind the fact that this whole new superhero movie environment wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for what they've achieved so far, because they've rewritten the book. They've accomplished all sorts of crazy things, and will continue to do so, while the Distinguished Competition SHOULD be worrying more about getting their own projects off the ground than criticizing the best in the business on the one or two things that they haven't done. Marvel will still get the last laugh when "Squirrel Gorl" breaks every box office record.

But it's not just that their detractors are looking to ding them on things. There are plenty of people that really like the MCU but still feel like there needs to be more leading characters that aren't white dudes. They're making progress with Captain Marvel and Black Panther, but if that's all they do, then it just feels like they're giving token movies to say, "Look, we gave you a female character!" Now, their television is doing better with Agent Peggy Carter and the upcoming Jessica Jones. They are definitely making strides in the right direction, but pointing out marginalization of female/POC characters isn't just looking for something to complain about.

There was a really great article on AV Club yesterday that explained this really well, comparing this to people that love Return of the Jedi but hate Ewoks:

http://www.avclub.com/article/if-you-return-jedi-hate-ewoks-you-understand-femin-224765

• Like 4

A UFO travels across the universe and harnesses the power of a comet tail to control inanimate objects on earth. After sucessfully conquering and destroying a truck stop they are wiped out by a laser blast from a Russian satelite. The End.

Why after being attacked by a machine gun do the heros run into a room full of other guns?

Yeardley Smith's car never being affected was a big WTF to me. But also, what about the kid at the beginning at the baseball field. Doesn't his bike throw him off when he's run over by the steamroller? But the other kid's bike works just fine.

And regarding the boat, they mentioned in the movie that they were looking for a sailboat, since it wouldn't have a motor. Then again, neither do bicycles. Or machine guns. I guess maybe they meant mechanical parts, but even the most rudimentary sailboat that could fit all of them would have some sort of mechanical parts to handle the sail and rudder.

• Like 2

But it's not just that their detractors are looking to ding them on things. There are plenty of people that really like the MCU but still feel like there needs to be more leading characters that aren't white dudes. They're making progress with Captain Marvel and Black Panther, but if that's all they do, then it just feels like they're giving token movies to say, "Look, we gave you a female character!" Now, their television is doing better with Agent Peggy Carter and the upcoming Jessica Jones. They are definitely making strides in the right direction, but pointing out marginalization of female/POC characters isn't just looking for something to complain about.

There was a really great article on AV Club yesterday that explained this really well, comparing this to people that love Return of the Jedi but hate Ewoks:

http://www.avclub.co...nd-femin-224765

I was going to say this exact thing. It's not that we are trying to point out the flaws. There just happen to be flaws. Especially with the way they handle said flaws. Kevin Feige talks all the time about he "wants" to make a Black Widow movie but he just "doesn't know" and that's utter bull shit as a fan of her to hear. WB/DC also have their issues too but so far I have seen them take control on the female-led franchise and they casted a POC in a traditionally white role. That's huge! Then that's when Marvel went oh shit wait. They are making strides now on TV which is appreciated but a lot of fans are just asking for a few more on the big screen, cause frankly (as much as I love them all) I am kind of tired of all the hunky white dudes named Chris getting the good stuff.

No studio in Hollywood will ever be perfect but I think this would just be a step in the right direction.

And I genuinely don't trust people who don't like the Ewoks.

• Like 3

http://www.avclub.co...nd-femin-224765

That is a damn good article.

• Like 3

And I genuinely don't trust people who don't like the Ewoks.

And here we were getting along so well....

• Like 4

Hey guys - we'll be at Largo a week from Saturday (9/26) - is there any way to find out what movies we should watch?

Usually, they announce them on Twitter a couple weeks beforehand. I'm guessing if they haven't posted them yet, they might not have them, but it probably wouldn't hurt to tweet @HDTGM and ask if they know.

• Like 1

I legit started to read this post and thought, "What comic is he talking about?...Oh! Riiiiiight...."

• Like 5