🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 119 - Maximum Overdrive: LIVE!

I really appreciate your apology! If you pay extra attention to these boards we do call them out for crossing the line when the do it (in most recent memory we called out Adam Pally for his really not okay Asian accent during the TMNT2 episode plus some members are uncomfortable with Jason's Sept. 11th comments).

You can be raunchy and not "PC" and still not cross the line. It's just what the intent is behind it and how it's delivered.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7736-1366734066-4.gif

In case my original comment is chosen as part of the mini episode, I updated the post by removing the "s" word. :)

I was at the TMNT show (I live in NY) and was definitely like... "oooohhh. don't do that adam." But again I believe he was mocking how horrible the choice was to use that kind of dialect for splinter.

And as for 9/11 comments. I hear ya, but again there are different ways people deal with that tragedy. Case in point... check out anything Pete Davidson says about that day and when he lost his dad (a nyc firefighter.) In fact on the most recent podcast, You Make it Weird, Pete D talks about how he has a strategy of getting out of speeding tickets by using the special 9-11 plaque he owns. Finally, I know Jason was in NYC, like me, during the attacks. Not to say that gives people like us a "pass on making comments." Again there are just different ways people grieve, process, move on. Hell, I love Louis CK and he had the best/works joke about 9/11.... "You can tell how bad a person you are by how long after 9/11 you waited to masturbate. For me, it was between the first and second tower falling down. I had to do it. Otherwise they win."

• Like 2

Ok, so aliens, a comet, sudden sentience, whatever. Something is trying to use machines to kill all humans and they use trucks and cars? Hey dumb dumbs, guess what else are machines? Missile Silos! Just take over the rockets and nuke everything!

• Like 1

X7TffhY.gif

this reminds me of a incident from my younger days. i got a new bike and i was out with a friend. we passed a girl from my class and i though to myself "i'll show her how cool i am by doing the biggest skid she has ever seen". so i raced ahead and pulled the brakes, ready to impress her like never before. well, i dont know if it was the rush of blood to the head or what but i ended up pulling the front brakes and did a cartwheel over the handlebars and landed right on my back. then i got up and ran around like a fool holding my back.

then i remembered why i was going to try and skid in the first place. so i turned around to see if the girl was laughing at me ... but she was gone. did she see me make a complete arse out of myself or had she walked away before any of it happened?

we still live locally to each other ... havent been able to look her in the eye since ... so i guess ill never know. but at least now i have some idea of what she might have seen .. thanks stephen king

• Like 5

One of the things that drew me to this board is that unlike so many many boards out there it's relatively free of sexism, classism, racism etc. Would be nice to keep it this way.

But that's just because we're all rich old white guys

Yw9YwyM.jpg

• Like 5

God damn it! I was stuck in traffic when the hullabaloo went down and couldn't respond! I was literally banging my hands against the wheel and cussing at people to move so I could get in front of a computer. Auden and Taylor Anne, if I could "like" each of your posts a million times, I would do so. Just know, that had I made it in time, it was about to get lit in here. Oh well, I guess the situation is diffused now, so there's no reason to reignite it.

Fuck, now I'm all full of piss and vinegar and have nowhere to direct it...

• Like 4

But that's just because we're all rich old white guys

Yw9YwyM.jpg

Dammit Lando, I told you to stop stealing photos of me from Facebook.

• Like 7

during the middle of the movie, the newlyweds are driving (toward Wilmington) and see the west bound traffic filled with unmanned semi-trucks. when the wife asks "where are they going", the husband replies, "Greensboro maybe, or Charlotte". but these two cities are in opposite directions from Wilmington. if you want to get to Greensboro from Wilmington, you take the I 40, and to get to Charlotte, you take US 74, you can get to Greensboro using US 74 to I 73, but that's the longest way possible.

• Like 1

I have to say, having read Stephen King's "On Writing" (fun fact: he only references this film in a part about what to do if you've written something that is a "stinker") and knowing about his struggles with substance abuse nearly killed him and destroyed his family... kind of took some of the fun out of mocking this movie for me.

They should air this movie as one of those "this is your brain on drugs" PSAs.

Here's a fun detail from the Daily Mail:

His dependency had reached such a pitiful stage five years later that he had resorted to buying antiseptic mouthwash for its alcohol content - as his editor Chuck Verrill saw during the making of the film Maximum Overdrive, King's directorial debut.

'He was gargling Listerine and popping pills,' recalled Verrill. 'He was still a nice guy and coherent, but he did seem to be strung out.'

King later said he was 'coked out of my mind' during the making of the film,

How much Listerine do you have to drink to get a buzz?

Anyway, my favorite part of this episode was June's gigglefit. I heart June! :wub:

• Like 6

Anyway, my favorite part of this episode was June's gigglefit. I heart June! :wub:

Especially because it was from such a silly, stupid joke. It was so delightful.

• Like 5

God damn it! I was stuck in traffic when the hullabaloo went down and couldn't respond! I was literally banging my hands against the wheel and cussing at people to move so I could get in front of a computer. Auden and Taylor Anne, if I could "like" each of your posts a million times, I would do so. Just know, that had I made it in time, it was about to get lit in here. Oh well, I guess the situation is diffused now, so there's no reason to reignite it.

You need to quit your job, Cam. You're a rich old white guy, you don't have to work.

Me too! When I listened to the eppy I was all heart eyes about June.

• Like 3

Fuck, now I'm all full of piss and vinegar and have nowhere to direct it...

Shit man. Sorry you didn't have the proper release. Hopefully my apology is almost as good as what it would be to tear me a new one. I'm all about transparency. It's one of the main reasons I never hide my identity online. If I ever post something, it's with my true name. That's why it's also important to own your mistakes. Peace everyone! Have a solid weekend.

And when can we get the crew to review "Masters of the Universe;" now free on Netflix.

• Like 1

No problem. I by no means meant to offend you or women in general. I'll be sure to watch my comments in the future. I just assumed (my fault) that based on our love for a podcast where there is typically non-PC/raunchy things said... it was understood it was said in a very broad/obnoxious manner. That's all. Let's leave it be and understand it was not done with serious intention and I am sorry. Seriously.

If you didn't mean it to be offensive then you shouldn't be apologizing. Don't walk on egg shells because people here are sensitive nancys about certain words.

My Internet isn't working so I can't make a huge post regarding other people's posts but I love Paul saying he wasn't trying to "June" somebody. She's her own verb now :)

• Like 6

Especially because it was from such a silly, stupid joke. It was so delightful.

I was actually thinking about June the other day. Someone pointed out I was pronouncing a (French) word incorrectly and I got really miffed and tried to act like it was a joke and I had known all along. Then I was like, self, embrace the fact that you don't know what a street fighter is.

I think it's kind of amazing how June leans into all the times Jason, Paul and the rest of us take issue with her theories. Very open and honest.

TL;DR we should all be more like June.

• Like 6

If you didn't mean it to be offensive then you shouldn't be apologizing. Don't walk on egg shells because people here are sensitive nancys about certain words.

Are you fishing for something? I'm not sure if you read the responses on this thread or say the new Theme Song thread, but that's not going to fly here

• Like 3

Yes, I'm 1,000% did not mean it to be offensive. But if someone who does not know me nor know how i was "delivering the message" (i.e. in a humorous tone), they can call me out. It's all good and let's be happy to have the ability to freely speak our mind. Peace.Love.Happiness.... and HDTGM.

• Like 1

You can be raunchy and not "PC" and still not cross the line. It's just what the intent is behind it and how it's delivered.

Yet you just said you called out Adam Pally for his asian accent. So do you think he intened to be racist and offend people? If not then why are you calling him out? He's a comedian intending to be funny in a comedy show but you guys are still telling him what's ok and not ok to say. That's just regular PC bullshit.

My Internet isn't working so I can't make a huge post regarding other people's posts but I love Paul saying he wasn't trying to "June" somebody. She's her own verb now :)

i was listening to the ep on my phone and it kept stopping .. never happened before ... you dont think there is a comet or something moving in do you?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/592987/End-of-the-world-asteroid-Blood-Moon-September-apocalypse-armageddon-comet-meteor

• Like 2

Nitpicky correction: "Christine" isn't about a killer truck. It's a killer car, guys. Totally different. Basically racist. How dare you.

• Like 5

i was listening to the ep on my phone and it kept stopping .. never happened before ... you dont think there is a comet or something moving in do you?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/592987/End-of-the-world-asteroid-Blood-Moon-September-apocalypse-armageddon-comet-meteor

...maybe it's the same thing that turned off June's tv and turned on her podcast app in the Runaway episode...

They're here.

• Like 3

In regard to use of religion and what this movie "means." I've got a theory...

I'm just warning you all, it's going to get weird. It's going to get uncomfortable. It's going to be challenging. It's...probably not going to make much sense. And it all hinges on this scene:

79f47834696286959255465fe9dfdef9.gif

They way I see it, this movie is really about man's attempt at murdering God and usurping his rule over the Earth. Disregard for a moment any idea of the comet or aliens being a cause of what happens in the movie. I think those text crawls were added in post at the studio's behest because they were afraid of that audiences wouldn't "get it." If either of these were legitimate reasons for the happenings in this movie, I'm sure it would have been mentioned somewhere in the short story--and based on the audience member's description of the short story--I think it's pretty clear that it isn't. Once tasked with giving the audience some sort of explanation as to the goings on in the film, I think King then wrote the explanations to be deliberately ambiguous to further illustrate his overarching theme, that being, the mysterious will of God. That is: no one really knows the answer to life's big questions. We can theorize and hypothesize all we want, but ultimately, we won't get the big answer until we die.

So let's take it back a bit, the people at the Dixie Boy Truck Stop represent the many faces of God. They represent Love, Bravery, Loyalty, Justice, Injustice, Capriciousness, Innocence, and Anger. They sit in Heaven (the Dixie Boy) where they preside over and care for their creations (the Machines/humanity). Now, once the Machines gain sentience, or Free Will, they immediately rebel against their creators and soon God's Kingdom becomes his prison. At first God (think Old Testament) lashes out at his creations and smites them to the ground. But there are just too many of them, and God's actions do little to deter the Machines from their sinful ways. They threaten God. They hold God hostage. They harm God though deeds. They make demands (prayers) to God--i.e. give us gasoline or we will destroy you! Ultimately, the Machines lose all connection to God and force him out Heaven, razing it to the ground.

But, in King's mind, there's still hope for God. God is immortal and can never truly be destroyed. "The Survivors of the Dixie Boy are still survivors." So, in the end, God destroys his rebellious creations, and theoretically, goes on into the unknowable future...

• Like 8

I'm all about transparency. It's one of the main reasons I never hide my identity online. If I ever post something, it's with my true name. That's why it's also important to own your mistakes.

Same.

When I first posting on the EarWolf boards, the only place I post anything online (I don't have Facebook or anything), I made two promises to myself. One, I would use my real name, because if I ever say anything stupid or offensive, I'm going to take responsibility for it. Of course, this is nothing against clever usernames, just me saying, "This is me saying this." The other promise, which I teeter on once in a while, is to never be a troll. I told myself if I ever let the Internet infect me with its vileness, I'd excuse myself and never return. Fortunately, we have, for the most part, good people around these parts so I think the risk of my going overboard is relatively slim. But, if one day I'm suddenly not here, just know I probably said something really fucked up.

So--no, we're good, man...for now.

• Like 3

Here are a few more things from the short story Trucks that the audience member didn't manage to touch on. Trucks is 18 pages, not 3, but still, a very slight, and not all that interesting, story to extrapolate into a whole movie.

- There are 5 people in the truck stop. 2 are truck fodder with no discernible personalities and the rest are not annoying.

- There is a couple among the 5. They are young, maybe teenagers, with the girl being younger than the boy. Other than noting that the boy and the girl are a couple, there's no sex and romance in the story.

- King did not specify what items the salesman sells. There's no mention at all of religion.

- King also did not specify where the story is set.

- The atrocity appropriated for the short story is slavery. King cringingly had a black character say, "You want to be their slaves? That's what it'll come to. You want to spend the rest of your life changin' oil filters every time one of those ... things blats [sic] its horn? Not me."

- The lines "We made them!" and "They can't" were in the story. The rest of Wanda June's rants is not. Wanda June is not in Trucks.

- The only things that go haywire in the story are automobiles. No electric knives, no lawn mowers, no vending machines. The electricity does go out, but it doesn't get turned back on.

- Theories on why automobiles have gone on a murderous rampage offered by the characters are electrical storms and nuclear testing. The narrator guessed that "Maybe they're mad."

- No answer is provided. However, there is a clear theme in the story, which is anxieties about industrialization, about the effects of industrialization on humans and on our environment.

ETA: Thanks to Hiny Rugburn for pointing out to me that blats is a real word.

• Like 3

- I've heard the phrase mother's helper used as a synonym for alcohol and valium, but a razor blade?

I understood it at first as "Oh its a MLH because a woman would needs it to cut/make lines of cocaine" to keep her going, looking after the family because in this movie, my brain automatically thought about how it would relate to cocaine.

I don't think I'm right anymore, from what I gather, mother's little helpers were downers not uppers. My only reference to Mother's Little Helpers is the Rolling Stones song and that episode of Desperate Housewives when Lynette started taking her kids' Ritalin.

• Like 1

Yet you just said you called out Adam Pally for his asian accent. So do you think he intened to be racist and offend people? If not then why are you calling him out? He's a comedian intending to be funny in a comedy show but you guys are still telling him what's ok and not ok to say. That's just regular PC bullshit.

If we all agree how edgy and cool you are, will you give it a fucking rest?

• Like 7