🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 119 - Maximum Overdrive: LIVE!

They way I see it, this movie is really about man's attempt at murdering God and usurping his rule over the Earth.

This is one of the June-iest theories I have ever heard...which I mean as a total compliment, of course.

• Like 5

Same.

When I first posting on the EarWolf boards, the only place I post anything online (I don't have Facebook or anything), I made two promises to myself. One, I would use my real name, because if I ever say anything stupid or offensive, I'm going to take responsibility for it. Of course, this is nothing against clever usernames, just me saying, "This is me saying this." The other promise, which I teeter on once in a while, is to never be a troll. I told myself if I ever let the Internet infect me with its vileness, I'd excuse myself and never return. Fortunately, we have, for the most part, good people around these parts so I think the risk of my going overboard is relatively slim. But, if one day I'm suddenly not here, just know I probably said something really fucked up.

So--no, we're good, man...for now.

we ride together, we die together... woot woot

best-friends.gif

• Like 5

In regard to use of religion and what this movie "means." I've got a theory...

I'm just warning you all, it's going to get weird. It's going to get uncomfortable. It's going to be challenging. It's...probably not going to make much sense. And it all hinges on this scene:

Cameron H. I believe you just put much much more thought into this story than King did at all stages of its development combined.

• Like 5

- The atrocity appropriated for the short story is slavery. King cringingly had a black character say, "You want to be their slaves? That's what it'll come to. You want to spend the rest of your life changin' oil filters every time one of those ... things blats [sic] its horn? Not me."

Just a nitpick, but I think "blats" is correct.

• Like 1

OK, I know it's a free show, but so are all my other podcasts, and they don't have 6 ads before the show and 6 ads in the middle of the show too.

If we all agree how edgy and cool you are, will you give it a fucking rest?

Yeah, so edgy to think we shouldn't tell comedians what is or isn't funny.

- The only things that go haywire in the story are automobiles. No electric knives, no lawn mowers, no vending machines. The electricity does go out, but it doesn't get turned back on.

Yeah, I was wondering why that point wasn't brought up. It was just the vehicles.
  • Like 1

Just a nitpick, but I think "blats" is correct.

Thanks for letting me know! I've updated my post. I learned a new word today!

we ride together, we die together... woot woot

best-friends.gif

I want you all to know that I would avenge everyone of you like the online Familia that you are.

On that note, how would the Fast crew handle this seeing as this is potentially a literal ride or die mission? Would only Brian's import survive "possession" like Curtis's car? Would it be the too hard core scene of Brian's son getting mauled by his model cars?

• Like 4

OK, I know it's a free show, but so are all my other podcasts, and they don't have 6 ads before the show and 6 ads in the middle of the show too.

I really don't understand these complaints. You can fast forward through them. All the ads are typically :60-:90 seconds long. So for me it's just a few taps of the :15 sec jump button on the iPhone. And the podcasts are free because of the ads. So do you want no commercials and then to pay?

• Like 7

Wow, I was amazed that we hadn't done this movie already. I think every time I watch it, I just hear the inevitable eventual* HDTGM episode in my brain. The real one did not disappoint.

I'm glad they brought up the stupefying "You're cute" line, but that whole scene bears examination.

• The Road Twitch's full line to him is "You're cute. (long pause while he laughs awkwardly) Not that cute." She doesn't say it meanly, but not in a flirting way either. She would just like him to know that he is a small amount of cute. Which is not untrue.
  • Then there are some long, pointless shots of stuff in the parking lot. By way of explanation, Road Twitch ADRs a line that's something like, "Look at all this nothing. You ever seen so much nothing?" Yeah, okay, movie? Instead of putting in meaningless footage and then explaining it in voiceover, why not just cut that footage?
  • Finally, Bill decides it's time to introduce himself, which he does by saying nothing but his name. But he doesn't say Bill. He says "Baile," in the weirdest fake southern accent ever. It's like when they ADRed that one line, he thought he was playing Forrest Gump.

*Everything's Eventual. That's for my fellow King nerds.

• Like 2

So I pulled this up on youtube again after listening to the episode, and noticed that within 5 minutes a woman is thrown through a windshield of a car that is travelling at a very non-lethal speed, and we immediately move on. Then moments later that guy who falls off his motorcycle has a very dramatic slow motion shot of him sliding off the bridge and falling into water... That guy is fine, he fell into water from a safe height. That woman, even though she obviously threw herself into that windshield intentionally, most likely isn't. I guess my point is, can someone make a gif of that woman flying through the windshield?

• Like 2

Who remembers MonsterVision with Joe Bob Briggs on TNT? It was definitely the best interstitial movie show of the 90s. Well, here's all the stuff from the Maximum Overdrive show. Check it out.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 4

Oh, and PS, I just wish that for one hour of my life I could curse like a Bible salesman getting run down by a truck.

"Hot sucka! Son of a bitch--outta my way, bitch! Fuck!"

"I'm gonna tear em off, boy!"

"You snot bag! Snotball!"

"You wanna rock and roll with me, pus-face?"

"Right here, you long mouth scumball!"

• Like 2

Why does this happen?

https://j.gifs.com/KzdG53.gif

Last ditch rationalization: The bike had one of those generator things on the wheel that power a headlight. Since that's electrical, the aliens used it to, uh, do something, and that's what knocked him over. Yeah, OK, that's just shifting insane logic to insane physics, but still.

• Like 2

As was discussed, it wasn't quite clear what was affected by the comet (or aliens, or whatever was actually causing the problems). I was also confused by the notion that the Earth would be passing through the tail of a comet for an entire week. I am not an astrophysicist, but I think trajectory-wise, it might be hard for that to happen without the Earth and the comet itself coming pretty close to one another. I know comet tails are long, but to stay within the tail for days at a time, it seems like the orbits would have to overlap rather substantially. In any case, given what a big deal this damn comet was, shouldn't we have seen it in the sky? Did we see the comet, and I just wasn't paying close enough attention? I have now convinced myself that I must have missed it because it seems crazy not to include, but then again, in 1986, CGI wasn't what it is today...

Side note: in trying (and mostly failing) to find out stuff about comets that I could understand, I discovered that on May 19, 1910, Earth passed through the tail of Halley's Comet for six hours. People predictably lost their minds, but nothing happened obviously, because we're all still here to talk about this garbage movie.

• Like 1

Who remembers MonsterVision with Joe Bob Briggs on TNT? It was definitely the best interstitial movie show of the 90s. Well, here's all the stuff from the Maximum Overdrive show. Check it out.

[media='']

[/media]

I remember this guy/show, but I only occasionally watched the program, so I feel like I missed this one. Coincidental that he mentions Joe Besser since Joe is somehow related to Matt Besser (uncle or something?) and then Matt, years later, hosts a great show on a network which also provides another great show that eventually dissects the movie that Joe Bob introduces

I hear you, but the slew of trucks didn't come till much later. In fact the introduction of the rocket launcher was when there were around 7-10 trucks. Again not hearing there is a limited supply of rockets, we witnessed 5 trucks getting blown up. And with the other weapons, they could have shot the shit out of the tires. So they could have all escaped before every truck in NC shows up.

Sorry, it's taken me a minute to respond to this one. Yeah, I get what you're saying too, but...let's assume there are only seven trucks surrounding them at this point in the film, and let us further assume they have an infinite amount of ammo at the Dixie Boy (why the fuck not?), they blow up all of the trucks surrounding them...and then what? They know machines are coming to life with, seemingly, no rhyme or reason, and they don't know what they'll run into in the wide world. What do they do then, Pete??? What. Do They Do. Then.

Sure, they can leave the Truck Stop, maybe even get a sailboat, as they eventually do (out of necessity, not choice), but they still can't trust vehicles or electronics and they can only carry so much ammunition. Honestly, stuck in the Dixie Boy is probably the safest place they can be. No, they can't leave, but the trucks aren't really coming for them either. They are almost in a state of mutual assured destruction--another Cold War analogy. If they leave, the trucks kill them. If the trucks attack, they blow up the trucks. In the Truck Stop they have food, shelter, tons of weapons, and a modicum of safety. They are under the threat of danger, not immediate danger.

Look, guys--this movie is fucking deep. You just have to open your minds a little and let it permeate your grey matter. Let it in. It all makes sense. All of it!

• Like 1

All these random characters stuck in a small place during an outrageous phenomenon. This movie is King's attempt to do Night of the Living Dead.

Which made George Romero sick! It all makes sense now...

• Like 2

My biggest concern with the rocket launcher was with the scene in which it was introduced. Bubba, the manager guy (or whatever he was) fires it a truck that is directly behind 4 people who are running straight at him, causing them to have to dive into the dirt face first. Did he not notice that four people were running and screaming towards him in his line of fire? Maybe it's just me, but whenever I fire a rocket launcher I make sure that the stars of the movie are nowhere near in front of me.

• Like 2