🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 119 - Maximum Overdrive: LIVE!

Technically, anything on the graphic below was up for grabs. I would have loved it if Emilio had been killed by an inclined plane...

My Dad died from inclined plane... we don't like to talk about it...

• Like 6

Yeardly Smith's pedo husband looks like Timothy Busfield. Timothy Busfield starred in the movie Trucks which is also based on the same short story as Maximum Overdrive. Conclusion, Timothy Busfield is the alien responsible for Scientology and both movies being made to prepare us for the inevitable arrival of Rhea-M.

Not to derail this thread like the minisode one, but which Green Goblin do you all think this was? Front of the truck was clearly Norman Osborn Green Goblin, while the Jack in Box was probably Dr. Bart Hamilton.

• Like 3

3) Lastly, when the Little League coach offers to buy the entire team sodas, I had a real problem that he only puts two coins in the vending machine. Look, I’m not sure how much sodas were in the mid-eighties, but I’m willing to bet it was more than the amount he put in the machine. What a cheap fuck. “Way to go with the win, fellas. Here--you guys can share A coke.” And yes, I get how pockets work and coins are small. I’m just saying that anytime I’ve gone to a vending machine with the intent of buying multiple items, I usually carry all of the money in my hands ready to go. In a film full of questionable acting, I’m just saying that, in my opinion, that the nameless Little League coach didn’t really seem to be owning his role as “Man Who Buys Soda for a Little League Team.”

My favourite part about his character is when Duncan's son makes the winning run his whole team erupts in celebration and he could not look more unhappy about it. He even slams his clip board down. Then when the team rushes the field he walks up and crosses his arms, while the cheery ADRed line "Come on! Sodas! I'm buying!" is said. Crossed arms and clip board slamming is not the body language of a coach who is happy his team won. Maybe he knows he has to buy his team sodas if they win, a tradition I believe also stated in Bad News Bears, yet he only has 50 cents. He is super pissed because he can't afford to by sodas and has no idea how to weasel out of it.

• Like 5

1) Brett: "You sure make love like a hero."

Agreed with what you said about the phrase make love. And how does a guy make love like a hero anyway? Pushing through neck and tongue ache until his lady finishes?

• Like 1

And how does a guy make love like a hero anyway?

I don't know--I guess just close your eyes and imagine. After all, "a hero ain't nothing but a sandwich."

cartoon-sub-sandwich-227684.jpg

• Like 2

Not to derail this thread like the minisode one, but which Green Goblin do you all think this was? Front of the truck was clearly Norman Osborn Green Goblin, while the Jack in Box was probably Dr. Bart Hamilton.

As long as neither of them is Dane Dehaan--I'm good.

• Like 4

I don't know--I guess just close your eyes and imagine. After all, "a hero ain't nothing but a sandwich."

Maybe Emilio is a foot long but soft.

• Like 3

I was waiting for Green Goblin truck's previously unseen servant Bernard to pop in sometime in the third act to reveal to the Green Goblin truck that Emilio DID NOT kill the Green Goblin truck's father, that he did that horrible stuff to himself, and that Emilio isn't the menace that he believed him to be. Green Goblin truck would then totally go to town on a piece of pie...

• Like 3

the farting scene was reaaallly disturbing just because it's an authentic scene and those noises sound REAL. Most movies would leave out the fart sounds.

The kid in this movie was great. A legitimately great performance!

• Like 1

The military vehicle was kind of mind boggling ... I was looking at it wondering who the hell could drive this thing as there was no seat, and the the peddles were like just a foot or so below the flatbed. But it does appear to be a legit military vehicle (U.S. Military M274 Truck, Platform, Utility 1/2 Ton, 4X4) though I think they slapped on the machine gun and the seat appears to be missing.

M274_drawing.jpg

There is no way this is a practical mobile machine gun. anyone standing and firing on this thing is only held on by their grip on the gun which looks like it's wobbly is F*CK. Not to mention firing it will be expelling lots of brass on the deck of the platform making turning and pivoting to attack a different target a real treat.

My uneducated guess would be that it is simple, lightweight and easy to configure and that with a weapon mount it would not be meant for use in battle so much as it is for in camp protection. But with that said, why would King choose this shitty little mobile flatbed and not a humvee or tank?

• Like 1

the farting scene was reaaallly disturbing just because it's an authentic scene and those noises sound REAL. Most movies would leave out the fart sounds.

You have obviously not seen Dreamcatcher

• Like 2

The kid in this movie was great. A legitimately great performance!

You have obviously not seen Dreamcatcher

I feel like the real crime presented in this scene is Emilio flouting the cardinal "no talking in the restroom" rule. Any and all persons frequenting a public restroom should be strictly regarded as phantasmal, non-people for the duration of their visit and all actions that occur therein should never be interrupted, commented upon, or espied.

140b388db7274356f6cb9eb694f1e939.gif

Dude, Emilio--you are talking to one of the two people at the truck stop who knows how to gets his hands on some pretty heavy ordnance, do you really want to have this conversation now or would you rather wait until the Chipotle has had a chance to clear his colon?

Also, at one point, Brett stands barefoot on the floor of the bathroom which is equally inadvisable.

• Like 6

Agreed with what you said about the phrase make love. And how does a guy make love like a hero anyway? Pushing through neck and tongue ache until his lady finishes?

That sounds about right

• Like 1

What struck me about this movie is that the physics made no sense in several places:

1) When the kid is riding his bike down the street right after we see the dead dog with the mini car in its mouth (28:35), a man is shown who had crashed his car head-on into a tree, but he is slumped out of the side window. This would never happen in reality because he would be slumped onto the steering wheel.

2) When the man who was blinded by gasoline is hit by the truck (32:50), he is hit head on, but is then shown rolling on his side in a direction perdpendicular to the trucks's motion. This would also never happen in reality because he would continue in the direction of the truck.

3) My favorite moment is when Yeardley Smith and her new husband drive their car through the ring of trucks (43:25), they get hit and the car flips upside down. He crawls out of the car and goes over to her window where she should be shown in her seat, upside down, but instead is shown sitting upright on the ceiling of the overturned car. She was stuck in her seat and asking for help getting out, so it would have been impossible for her to flip herself into that position.

One (strange) thing that's not included in the oral history:

Blake: How did you decide on the look of the Happy Toyz Truck? At what point was Marvel contacted about the design? Or were you guys approached?

Martha: It wasn’t at all. In fact, Giorgio Postiglione, who was the production designer, he just designed it. And, you know, Stephen also—obviously his input with how it should look like and the happy face—this demonic happy face. I don’t think it was a Marvel comic, was it? Did we rip that off?

That's amazing. Long before actually working at Marvel was even a consideration, I've always wondered how/why they licensed the Green Goblin face for this film. Now we know. They didn't...

Corrected: Just saw the post with the credits image showing they did pay Marvel. Still a strange choice.

IIRC they do thank Marvel for the green goblin in the credits.

IIRC they do thank Marvel for the green goblin in the credits.

They do. Someone posted a screenshot of it earlier in this thread somewhere.

Dude, Emilio--you are talking to one of the two people at the truck stop who knows how to gets his hands on some pretty heavy ordnance, do you really want to have this conversation now or would you rather wait until the Chipotle has had a chance to clear his colon?

OMG, he actually looked in the stall. RUDE.

This is how you do a restroom scene.

30sbq52.jpg

Speaking of The Shining, King described Kubrick's Wendy as "one of the most misogynistic characters ever put on film. She's basically just there to scream and be stupid." I wish Yeardley Smith was just there to scream and be stupid, but she was so much worse. I wonder if King knew how anger-making Smith's character is. Maybe it was delibrate. Maybe King was like "See? See? That's basically Wendy from The Shining. Annoying, right?!"

BTW, I don't find Kubrick's Wendy a misogynistic character. Wendy's behavior is symptomatic of someone in an abusive relationship, and, at the end, symptomatic of someone being chased by an axe-wielding madman.

• Like 5

OMG, he actually looked in the stall. RUDE.

This is how you do a restroom scene.

30sbq52.jpg

Speaking of The Shining, King described Kubrick's Wendy as "one of the most misogynistic characters ever put on film. She's basically just there to scream and be stupid." I wish Yeardley Smith was just there to scream and be stupid, but she was so much worse. I wonder if King knew how anger-making Smith's character is. Maybe it was delibrate. Maybe King was like "See? See? That's basically Wendy from The Shining. Annoying, right?!"

BTW, I don't find Kubrick's Wendy a misogynistic character. Wendy's behavior is symptomatic of someone in an abusive relationship, and, at the end, symptomatic of someone being chased by an axe-wielding madman.

First of all, awesome segue from Maximum Overdrive's bathroom scene to talking about The Shining. That's some high-caliber forum posting right there. Bravo!

Also, I am in total agreement with you regarding Wendy in The Shining--gender be damned. That's how I would act in a similar situation. It kind of goes into something that I feel is a problem with Stephen King's writing--and, yes, I know he has a lot of fans out there (deservedly so).

My problem with Stephen King has always been he has never really been all that great at writing believable or relatable characters. Sometimes it's like he's an alien trying to mimic human emotions and behavior. In some way or another, his characters have always came off to me as more rough caricatures of how he thinks "The Everyman" speaks and acts--with no basis on how people actually speak and act in real life (see: road twitch). It's a big reason why I stopped reading his books ages ago. I mean, when he's on, he's on--he tells some fantastic yarns--but oof!, when he's off, it's some next level bad.

The other reason I had to stop reading his books is--for a good stretch--all his books seemed to be extremely formulaic. They usually centered around an Author recovering from some form of addiction who harbors deep regrets about his past. More often than not, a child would come along--sometimes the protagonist's own, but often just some random kid--to represent innocence or the loss of innocence. Then he'd just wrap that outline around some weird happening and voila! we would get this year's second Stephan King bestseller. I'm just saying, it all got really boring for me.

But, that's not to say he hasn't written some great books, and from what I understand, some of his recent novels have been quite good. I just lost interest a long time ago.

• Like 3

They do. Someone posted a screenshot of it earlier in this thread somewhere.

Yeah right, and next you're going to tell me that someone has already brought up that the guy that gets electrocuted in the arcade is Gus from Breaking Bad...

• Like 7