🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 119 - Maximum Overdrive: LIVE!

when the "eat my shorts" line was mentioned, i don't think it had to do with The Simpsons at the time, but the fact that Breakfast Club came out the previous year and Emilio Estevez stared in both.

i think it was probably a nod to that.

• Like 1

Oh, also, it's Ted "Theodore" Logan. Bill S Preston was the "Esquire."

Damnit! I messed up a joke where I am sort of calling someone dumb. Who's the Ted now?

And I definitely agree about Nosferatu being the best. I want to see the Werner Herzog remake with Klaus Kinski since I have heard that it is a pretty good remake.

• Like 4

I just wanted to use up my 1,000th post to say:

Dreamcatcher

E2ebutH.jpg

• Like 5

I just wanted to use up my 1,000th post to say:

Dreamcatcher

E2ebutH.jpg

First of all--Congratulations, Lando!

Secondly, I would like to propose a plan that any regular HDTGM forum poster that reaches a posting milestone should be allowed to pick a movie for the gang to cover. Of course, there would have to be some stipulations in place to prevent people from posting nonsense just to get their movie picked, but I feel like it would be a fun thing to do.

Lastly, in regard to Dreamcatcher itself and the earlier discussion about film adaptations sticking to the source material, I believe Dreamcatcher was the last Stephen King book I've read. The reason for that was after I saw the movie, I thought that it had to be just another case of a book poorly adapted for film. I figured it had to be better than what I had just seen. I was dead wrong. It is one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen--which is really, really sad.

• Like 5

Here's hoping this works...

Edit: it didn't

Copy the image's URL and paste it in your post in this format: [IMG] the url [/IMG]. When you paste it, take the "s" out of "https."

You're doing the Lord's work!

I appreciate the answer, but apparently I'm incapable of internetting. I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's posts instead of spamming the threads trying to post things

I appreciate the answer, but apparently I'm incapable of internetting. I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's posts instead of spamming the threads trying to post things

I don't know much about coding or HTML but there is a nifty little button at the top of the posting box that looks like a polaroid. It's in the same area as the speech bubble and link buttons and directly under the text color (for me at least). Just click that and put in your URL!

Et voila!

anigif_enhanced-25884-1430176993-15.gif

• Like 2

With book adaptations, there is usually a lot lost in translation because you have to cut something from a book in order to fill a 90-120 minute long movie. King adaptations have usually tried to stay close to the source material when feasible, hence there being no hedge monsters in The Shining, or changing it a bit to give it a happier ending like the kid living at the end of Cujo when he dies in the book. Then there are adaptations that just say fuck it, like Under the Dome, which followed the book for the first couple episodes then veered off into full on insanity, and basically had a final season which was a bad remake of The Tommyknockers, which is sad because Under the Dome the book is really amazing with a wide and varied cast of characters and small town drama brought to the forefront of paranoia. Though with recent adaptations for King books like It, The Stand, and The Dark Tower series being multiple movies, it seems movie studios are trying to be faithful to these huge stories.

Dreamcatcher didn't work because for some reason they put stuff in the movie without explaining it like Thomas Jane singing the Mighty Mouse theme song or many of the flashbacks to when the main characters were kids. Then you have the ending that turns Donny Whalberg into a goddamn alien for no reason.

• Like 3

Still didn't work for me, I'm trying to take them from giphy. Is that a problem?

It might be. Giphy is wonky like that. What kind of link are you using? Cause it has to end in .gif or something similar.

• Like 1

I don't know much about coding or HTML but there is a nifty little button at the top of the posting box that looks like a polaroid. It's in the same area as the speech bubble and link buttons and directly under the text color (for me at least). Just click that and put in your URL!

Et voila!

anigif_enhanced-25884-1430176993-15.gif

Still didn't work for me, I'm trying to take them from giphy. Is that a problem?

sgswHaZw5yklq.gif

Well I hadn't been using .gif, so I added that but still doesn't seem to be working.

sgswHaZw5yklq.gif

Well I hadn't been using .gif, so I added that but still doesn't seem to be working.

Don't give up, Ellen--we'll get you through this. It's a valuable skill and you are a valued member of our little family. :)

1) Go to Giphy and find your image.

2) Choose the image you want and then right click it. Choose "Copy image URL."

3) In your post, paste the URL and remove the "s" in "https"

4) Bookend the pasted URL with [IMG] and [/IMG]. It should look something like this:

[IMG]http://media.giphy....jIW2c/giphy.gif[/IMG]

(NOTE--I'm using a different font for the "IMG's" so you can see exactly what I'm doing.)

5) Ta-da! Gif magic!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Secondly, I would like to propose a plan that any regular HDTGM forum poster that reaches a posting milestone should be allowed to pick a movie for the gang to cover. Of course, there would have to be some stipulations in place to prevent people from posting nonsense just to get their movie picked, but I feel like it would be a fun thing to do.

I would gladly trade in most of my "Likes" (except the one I got from PFT, because fuck y'all) to get the gang to finally face what I'm sure is their greatest fear: "Southland Tales". That might make for a fine final episode, as not all of them are guaranteed to survive the experience.

• Like 2

I meant to post this earlier, but things got busy.

I had to delete a post I was going to write earlier regarding SFC's, and while my intentions were pure, I realized I was treading dangerously close to what might be construed as "mansplaining." Who the fuck am I? Matt Damon???

This reminds me of when I first dipped my toe in the forum. A member said she felt that Mila Kunis' character in "Jupiter Ascending" was empowering, you disagreed but said because you are a guy you are probably wrong. (BTW, I don't think Kunis' character is empowering to women either.) I thought then it's unusual for a person to admit that he might be wrong, and even rarer for a man to admit that to a woman. Then I thought, this guy is swell.

I also want to say how much I appreciate the members who, either through posts or through showing support by liking those posts, make this forum a welcoming place for everyone to goof around about bad movies, regardless of gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, etc.

• Like 5

Considering the breadth and scope of artistic accomplishments people throughout history have achieved while high as fuck,* I think it's a pretty lame excuse. Isn't it more likely that the movie sucked because Stephen King is a novelist, had no real filmmaking experience, and had no business directing a major motion picture?

To be fair though, while many criticized the story and characters, there were good number of reviews and critiques that said King did have a flair behind the camera and showed promise with some of the scenes that he created. And while it might seem like a cop out to use drugs as this being a bad movie, King was REALLY into getting drunk and high, usually in combination. Can't remember where I read it but I believe it was Dino de Laurentiis who said he didn't realize King was as fucked up as he was because he was coherent when talking to people but just pretty spaced out on set and kinda lethargic. It was later he found out that King was drinking mouthwash in massive quantities along with the various drugs, including Xanax, cocaine, pot, Valium, and more, he was taking to maximize his high. He also admitted in On Writing, that he can't remember writing a few of his books from the 80s, including Cujo. The other part of the 80s were his author books where he tried confronting his addictions through his work, which seemed to help a bit as he would get sober in the late 80s/early 90s.

So while it may seem like a cop out, it most likely is true as he was on a Hunter S. Thompson road to addiction. As for him not doing another directing job, that could be a point of realization for him, knowing how he was when he did the movie and realizing even if sober, it still might not be so great, recognizing his limitations.

• Like 2

I meant to post this earlier, but things got busy.

This reminds me of when I first dipped my toe in the forum. A member said she felt that Mila Kunis' character in "Jupiter Ascending" was empowering, you disagreed but said because you are a guy you are probably wrong. (BTW, I don't think Kunis' character is empowering to women either.) I thought then it's unusual for a person to admit that he might be wrong, and even rarer for a man to admit that to a woman. Then I thought, this guy is swell.

I also want to say how much I appreciate the members who, either through posts or through showing support by liking those posts, make this forum a welcoming place for everyone to goof around about bad movies, regardless of gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, etc.

My mindset is this, I just come here to talk about movies, which I consider my kind of religious experience, I don't care about the other shit, plus there isn't really trolling here unlike IMDB which is a huge plus. I could give a crap who you are and what your background is, all I care about is you want to talk movies, alright let's talk. I look at sites and read articles where people are so stuck in the cement in their mindsets about how things should be that it only makes things worse, especially now where any person with a blog or social media account can literally destroy another person's livelihood because they don't agree with their opinion. So with that I usually just keep to myself and my close friends because there is where we can not worry about being ourselves. Hell, it's why I work in two libraries, one public and one prison, because it's a quiet environment for the most part and I'm not being bothered by outside shit.

I know I'm wrong about stuff all the time, believe me the people who used to read my sports articles would tell me about it. The idea we have this need to separate ourselves so much and battle it out with other groups just boggles my mind, on all sides because it only drives people further away. Shit I read an article on Azalea Banks losing her mind on an airplane and the comment section was just unbelievable with people on both sides of the argument who had their heads so far up their asses, and the discussion was stalled even before it started. It sort of reminds me of PCU when Jeremy Piven talks to the various student groups about how they are always at each others' throats for various stupid things when they should just be relishing in the fact that they have their whole lives ahead of them and could do so much more by working together.

• Like 3

So, I'm volunteering at Fantastic Fest this week, which is the largest genre film festival in the US. It's primarily horror, sci-fi, and weird shit, and it's fucking awesome. This is the third year I've worked it, and it's always so much fun. Anyway, tonight was the opening night, and the theme is Turkish cinema. They have Turkish film posters lining the hall, and in light of our Shining/Nicholson convos, I wanted to share this with you guys:

ra3NFrI.jpg

• Like 7

To be fair though, while many criticized the story and characters, there were good number of reviews and critiques that said King did have a flair behind the camera and showed promise with some of the scenes that he created.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

This was such a wonderful compliment to wake up to this morning! Thank you, Auden!

For my part, I'm glad you've joined our little community! It wouldn't be the same without you.

• Like 3

It was later he found out that King was drinking mouthwash in massive quantities along with the various drugs, including Xanax, cocaine, pot, Valium, and more, he was taking to maximize his high.

Would you say he was trying to take his high into Maximum Overdrive?

yeaaaacsimiami_zps20c943f8.jpg

I'm so sorry y'all. I hope you enjoyed my last post ever this has been great.

• Like 5

Lastly, in regard to Dreamcatcher itself and the earlier discussion about film adaptations sticking to the source material, I believe Dreamcatcher was the last Stephen King book I've read. The reason for that was after I saw the movie, I thought that it had to be just another case of a book poorly adapted for film. I figured it had to be better than what I had just seen. I was dead wrong. It is one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen--which is really, really sad.

I feel like we have tried to do the direct method of requesting the movie in a wildly popular thread so I have been trying to subtly mention it whenever I can in the hope that that method works better. If that doesn't work I am going to send Paul a dream catcher and a Stephen King novel as a hint hint. If that doesn't work I am going to arrange a private flight where I will secretly enter Paul's dreams to convince him that he came up with the idea.

• Like 4

I always get a kick out of which episodes get the most replies. If the mini-episode for this week doesn't come out soon, this thread is going to become a monster. I mean, I just want the mini to come out so we can all ignore whatever movie is coming up, find out who Taylor Anne is going to pick a gif war with next, and talk about Mad Max: Fury Road--which I just got around to seeing.

Don't test me. We could start this shit RIGHT NOW!

ill_kill_you_office.gif

• Like 5

Because I love both The Shining and Bob's Burgers...

2s9buih.jpg

For my part, I'm glad you've joined our little community! It wouldn't be the same without you.

Awww, thank you!

im16aq.jpg

• Like 4