🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Body of Evidence (1993)

This needs a standalone forum because Body of Evidence is unintentionally hilarious!

Madonna is accused of screwing an old guy to death with sex and Willem Dafoe is assigned to defend her. All the way, you get cheesy dialogue, horrible acting and strange sex scenes (most especially the part involving candle wax). Not to mention this came out a year after Basic Instinct and was released during the era of Madonna's Erotica album/Sex coffee table book. And it confirms Madonna's status as both box office poison and a horrible actress. Let's give Body of Evidence is due!

I'd just like to start this movie recommendation by mentioning how elated I am that not only is HDTGM coming to my fair city--Portland, Oregon--but that I was able to get tickets to the show. So, you know: huzzah!

Now, on the very slim chance that Paul, June, Jason, and (guest) already don't have the movies they plan on discussing mapped-out well in advance of HDTGM's upcoming national tour--and most likely won't be watching movies based on if they were filmed regionally in accordance to every city the podcast is visiting--I would like to make a pitch for a movie that was filmed here during a very bleak period in Portland's cinematic history: the 1992 sex-thriller Body of Evidence starring a full frontal cardboard cut-out of Madonna, Willem Defoe, Julianne Moore, Joe "Da Whackiest" Mantegna, Anne "The Archer" Archer ...and I wanna say David Duchovny, because of all that gratuitous sex scenes, but I don't think he's actually in this one.

Yep, just like Basic Instinct, Jade and Color of Night, Body of Evidence is one of those sweaty boobdunnits so popular in the 90's. As this movie is so succinctly described on the its IMDB page, "A lawyer defends a woman accused of killing her older lover by having sex with him." Uh-huh. If you've been yearning for a film that features a sex scene involving that most sensual of fluids (burning hot candle wax), then you, my friends, are in for a real treat.

Don't just take my word for how absolutely batshit bananagans perfect this movie is for HDTGM. Here's what Roger Ebert had to say about the film:

"When it comes to eroticism, Body of Evidence is like Madonna's new book. It knows the words but not the music. All of the paraphernalia and lore of S & M sexuality are here, but none of the passion or even enjoyment. We are told by one witness that sex with the Madonna character is intense. It turns out later he's not a very reliable witness."

Currently, it's free on Hulu. So, it's also got that going for it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this