🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

EPISODE 102 — Joe Wengert Again, Our Close Friend

I don't mind the live eps (when the audio is fine). I think they have a great energy. What I hate are the dumb audience "questions". The ultimate circle jerk of hipster comedy nerds vying for podcast immortality....and failing.

Yeah, ultimately, I like them too. Just when there is bad audio and not being able to see when they play things from the movie kinda stinks.

I usually watch all the movies so I know what is going on.

My SO have not only seen pretty much every HDTGM movie but we also have made a really solid and somewhat soul breaking (I just cannot get through Birdy) effort to see every Nicolas Cage movie and have a list of movies we really wish HDTGM would hurry up and do already.

Miami Connection anyone?????

• Like 2

DOUG BENSON IS FIFTY?!?!?!?!?!

I thought that was just an exaggeration, but it turns out he's actually 51. I may have to re-think some of my earlier statements

• Like 3

It's a common complaint, but I wish How Did This Get Made? would do less live shows. I mean I get it, it makes more financial sense and is probably more fun for them to do live shows, but the studio ones are better to listen to. But then again, the three of them are just so damn like-able, so whatever. I'm not good at this.

For some reason I have a hard time listening to live shows of any podcast. There's so many ones that I can tell are objectively good, but I have a hard time finding them funny. I think it has something to do with the audience providing kind of a laugh track; even though it's authentic, it throws me off for some reason.

• Like 1

Hollywood Handbook- perfectly perfect in every way

Comedy Bang Bang- It's the show that got me into podcasts, but for some reason I've been more likely to skip an episode if I don't care for the guest, which I never used to do. It's consistently brilliant; the only bum episodes seem to be the ones where the non-character guest doesn't play along. I thought the recent one with the Modern Family guy fell kinda flat because he answered Scott's "Where are you on the call sheet?" type questions seriously.

Spont- Oof. I don't know. The interviews are always fun, and PFT is delightful, but the improv is soooo hit-or-miss. I think what makes it worse is that everyone laughs at everything (especially PFT. Just bussin' up at every little tiny thing); it's like they're so delighted by the idea of improv and they're having such a good time that they don't realize when a scene is tanking. I think the live episodes have been better, because they can feed off of the audience's reactions rather than themselves. When the improv hits though, it's fantastic.

Improv4Humans- Probably my second-favorite p-cast on earwolf. Always brilliant, some weeks more than others, but never bad. I get that narrative improv is different than long form, but I think Besser in general just has a better pulse for keeping a scene moving, what direction to go, finding the game, and also which improvisers to have on the show. It's Spont, but better, I guess is what I'm saying. I don't always like Confrontation Corner stuff, because Matt is sometimes way more wrong than he thinks he is, but it always leads to great scenes, so I don't care.

How Did This Get Made- I think Zouks plays up his schtick a liiiiittle too much on the live episodes, but they're in a golden era of the show, tbh. It hit a lull midway through the first 100 episodes and I lost track of the show, but they have their energy back. Always a good time.

Whooch- I can't listen to this show unless I love the guest. I find Howard to be absolutely unfunny.

NNF- I think Jimmy Pardo is a genius, but I just can't get into this show. It really is just people talking. I think the Conan OBrien episode is still one of my favorite podcast episodes of all time, though.

*Edited because I originally used the phrase "I think" approximately 1 million times*

• Like 9

I've tried and tried, but in the end I just really hate podcasts, guys. I mean, it's just people talking. Am I missing something?

Honestly, I think the only thing I have in common with you weirdos is my love of forums.

• Like 16

I forgot to mention that The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is an all time favorite of mine. I must have listened to the Don Dimello ep at least 20 times. I didn't really know Matt Gourley at all before the pod and now I really like him. I listen to I Was There Too sometimes while I am cooking dinner or getting ready for the day. They aren't "funny" but I just find Gourley to be so likeable. Omg the German ep of that pod...

Only regret is that he never had Hayes and Sean on, 1-800-COME ON NOW!

• Like 11

Oh my god, yes. I've listened to the Andy Daly PPP so many times. I just relistened to the whole thing a couple weeks ago, and rediscovered the Hod Dog episode. I think I've probably listened to it 10 times in two weeks, and it hasn't gotten any less funny.

"Hey Hot Dog, I screwed up! You can have all the egg creams you want!"

• Like 5

I think Matt is sometimes way more wrong than he thinks he is

No you are!!!

Sorry, sorry. still defensive from the thing with the thing.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is an all time favorite of mine. I must have listened to the Don Dimello ep at least 20 times. I didn't really know Matt Gourley at all before the pod and now I really like him. I listen to I Was There Too sometimes while I am cooking dinner or getting ready for the day. They aren't "funny" but I just find Gourley to be so likeable. Omg the German ep of that pod...

Only regret is that he never had Hayes and Sean on, 1-800-COME ON NOW!

Gourley's great. i feel weird listening to his podcasts a lot now though, because he is my professor

• Like 4

"Hey Hot Dog, I screwed up! You can have all the egg creams you want!"

I laughed just reading that lol.

• Like 2

Gourley's great. i feel weird listening to his podcasts a lot now though, because he is my professor

The weird part is you masturbating during them. Just stop doing that and you should be fine.

• Like 7

This thread is great. I love hearing all your real opining on pod topics (benson).

what happens when forum posters stop being polite and start being real?

• Like 8

This thread is great. I love hearing all your real opining on pod topics (benson).

• Like 4

Hot Dog's journal entry about his dream life with Sha Na Na is legitimately one of the funniest things ever recorded. So many incredible moments from that show. Dalton's short story and poetry workshop, and the bit about Gourley's character being in solitary confinement ("Yeah, but what did you get done?"); Chip's Tips/Tip's Chips; the workout routine; Zouk's character describing the girls fighting wolves; Hot Dog's dreams being crushed by hearing that Bowser cried after losing the Sha Na Na show ("Well, I'm sorry your memories are false"); Where In The World Are My Wife and Children?; Scott Aukerman's pirate accent; N-Word Toes; the Racial Joke game; all of Gourley's characters. And so on.

• Like 8

Speaking of opinions and benson, I don't mind telling you that I find Doug Benson to be one of the most inexplicably unfunny comedians out there. He just depresses me. A 50 year old man whose material is based entirely around pot is more sad than funny. Not just pot--the very idea of pot cracks him up. HOWEVER. The Leonard Maltin game is a work of genius and I play it with friends all the time. So I am forever indebted to him for his service to our country.

• Like 6

I like Benson, but I prefer Beaker, he's great! "Meep! Meep!" hahah oh, Beaker

• Like 3

I love Doug Loves Movies and Doug as a guest on stuff. He makes me laugh a lot, especially when he's in the moment and away from prepared bits. I also like hearing his opinion on movies. Would love Sean and Hayes on DLM I think both our boys would kill on there.

To those of you with some kind of harsh thoughts on particular podcasts, I recently unsubscribed from a couple and it feels great! Don't listen to shows you don't like, no one will ever know!

• Like 10

I'm caught up on work so sorry for so many posts. I try to keep it low-fi around here, but today I'm bored so you're welcome.

More opinions:

Womp it Up: Pretty bad. I love Parham and St Claire. They're the best. This show is not the best. They repeat the same "jokes" every week, I don't think Wompler in any way resembles an actual teenager anymore...I don't know. The show works when there's a straight-man character. Without it, it's all insane people yelling at each other.

Lauren Lapkus: The recent Teacher's Lounge episode was mind-blowingly, head-explodingly, crotch-grabbingly, twin-towers-collapsingly hilarious. But usually it's way hit-or-miss. Never bad, but often boring. Recently she's had more than one person on, which I think is a big help. Also Traci Reardon is no longer funny and needs to not be a thing anymore.

Buttholes: I don't care what anyone says, everyone has one.

• Like 5

I'm caught up on work so sorry for so many posts. I try to keep it low-fi around here, but today I'm bored so you're welcome.

same same!

I will have to check out the teachers lounge ep!

Has anyone else noticed that CBB has really hit the upper limit on teenaged characs? In particular teenaged boys played by women.

ENOUGH!

I do have to leave the house shortly sadly. I look forward to returning much later tonight to read many more complaints against the greatest soon to not be free entertainment of our time!

PS-check this out

http://www.ew.com/ar...for-you-trailer

interestink tweet...

• Like 1

anyone know if doug smokes pot? I feel like he hints at it but I can't seem to tell for sure

• Like 5

More opinions:

Womp it Up: Pretty bad. I love Parham and St Claire. They're the best. This show is not the best. They repeat the same "jokes" every week, I don't think Wompler in any way resembles an actual teenager anymore...I don't know. The show works when there's a straight-man character. Without it, it's all insane people yelling at each other.

Lauren Lapkus: The recent Teacher's Lounge episode was mind-blowingly, head-explodingly, crotch-grabbingly, twin-towers-collapsingly hilarious. But usually it's way hit-or-miss. Never bad, but often boring. Recently she's had more than one person on, which I think is a big help. Also Traci Reardon is no longer funny and needs to not be a thing anymore.

Buttholes: I don't care what anyone says, everyone has one.

Womp - I love it. I may be more in love with Lennon than the show I have to admit however.

Lapkus - Agreed. A lot of just okay ep's, but it feels like they are generally getting stronger. Big second on Teachers Lounge, that shit is really really funny. Stands up against the best-of just about anything. The live ep with John Early, the Ex-Machina ep with MattyB, The North Pod w PFT, and the one with Zoe Jarman are also really good.

Buttholes - Prove it.

• Like 6

Hey guys what's your favorite Doug expression? his normal one or the one where both of his eyes are closed?

• Like 5