🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

EPISODE 102 — Joe Wengert Again, Our Close Friend

?????

games, plural?

I just know the one

• Like 9

As an entomologist I can confirm that Sean is exactly right about the distinction between bees and wasps with regard to their stinging behavior. Bees have barbed stingers, so that when the stinger penetrates your skin it can't be withdrawn back out without ripping out the entire sting and venom apparatus. If the bee is knocked off your skin, that whole mechanism remains in place, continuing to pump venom into your skin, but also effectively eviscerating the bee. Most wasps have smooth stingers which can easily be withdrawn from the skin with no harm to the wasp, but their sense of remorse is much more heightened than a bee's. Ultimately, the effect is very similar since the wasp will usually use its own stinger to rip out its own guts.

Here are some photos which illustrate what I'm talking about:

GQD0EQT0WQWKXKAK4KAKXKDK8KHS7KHSXKLS9QCKMKRSUQCK9QCKGKBK1QLSMKF01QT0SK10PQV0NQOKIKHS2QEKIK.jpg

Stinger of a paper wasp.

NRZQBRHQDR40L0200020R090K0N0H0KQZ0SQZ0M0JQI0Z0KQ3R20DQZQYR0QDR3KURX0VRZQFQU0ORSQDR60DR60L0.jpgVH8HDHGHFHSLNZ5LWZ5LVZMLUZ9HYHIH8ZXHTHMHPZZL2ZGHPZ0LBZ2HBZ4LNZILAZ6H3HUH1ZUHAZWHNZ2HFHPH1H.jpg

Stinger apparatus of a honeybee.

• Like 19

I'm no entomologist, but I am a self-proclaimed bug guy, and I concur with everything Mr. Foonerism says.

• Like 15

When do the bits end and when do the posts get real?

And now if this were an episode of Comedy Bang Bang, Scott would probably make some kind of reference to the introduction of "The Real World", and we'd all remember that Puck guy or something and chuckle to ourselves

• Like 4

I'm no entomologist, but I am a self-proclaimed bug guy, and I concur with everything Mr. Foonerism says.

I appreciate the support Jake, you are well known as one of the top bug guys on the whole forum.

• Like 13

winston > schmidt for sure, i mean, are you racist or something?

Winston or Coach?

• Like 1

JESUS CHRIST WILL YOU ALL PUT YOUR TWITTER PROFILES IN ONE PLACE

I AM SICK TO DEATH OF COMING ACROSS ONE OF YOU AND BEING ALL, OH YEAH, OF COURSE THAT'S THEIR TWITTER NAME

I DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF BRAIN JUST LIST WHO YOU ALL ARE ON TWITTER FOR FUCKS SAKE

• Like 8

I DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF BRAIN JUST LIST WHO YOU ALL ARE ON TWITTER FOR FUCKS SAKE

@gemberlicking

• Like 6

JESUS CHRIST WILL YOU ALL PUT YOUR TWITTER PROFILES IN ONE PLACE

I AM SICK TO DEATH OF COMING ACROSS ONE OF YOU AND BEING ALL, OH YEAH, OF COURSE THAT'S THEIR TWITTER NAME

@POTUS

• Like 14

As an entomologist I can confirm that Sean is exactly right about the distinction between bees and wasps with regard to their stinging behavior. Bees have barbed stingers, so that when the stinger penetrates your skin it can't be withdrawn back out without ripping out the entire sting and venom apparatus. If the bee is knocked off your skin, that whole mechanism remains in place, continuing to pump venom into your skin, but also effectively eviscerating the bee. Most wasps have smooth stingers which can easily be withdrawn from the skin with no harm to the wasp, but their sense of remorse is much more heightened than a bee's. Ultimately, the effect is very similar since the wasp will usually use its own stinger to rip out its own guts.

Here are some photos which illustrate what I'm talking about:

GQD0EQT0WQWKXKAK4KAKXKDK8KHS7KHSXKLS9QCKMKRSUQCK9QCKGKBK1QLSMKF01QT0SK10PQV0NQOKIKHS2QEKIK.jpg

Stinger of a paper wasp.

NRZQBRHQDR40L0200020R090K0N0H0KQZ0SQZ0M0JQI0Z0KQ3R20DQZQYR0QDR3KURX0VRZQFQU0ORSQDR60DR60L0.jpgVH8HDHGHFHSLNZ5LWZ5LVZMLUZ9HYHIH8ZXHTHMHPZZL2ZGHPZ0LBZ2HBZ4LNZILAZ6H3HUH1ZUHAZWHNZ2HFHPH1H.jpg

Stinger apparatus of a honeybee.

All kidding a sad lid, can someone pants me the water, as well as whatever product Brandon Content recommends for washing the hundreds of earwolf t-shirts used to clean up after all the sex initiated by these photos?

• Like 4

All joking a salad, how about them shirts????

Cross-referencing ;)

• Like 2

As an entomologist I can confirm that Sean is exactly right about the distinction between bees and wasps with regard to their stinging behavior.

This is exactly how congress works.

• Like 4

I girded thee

Hey Andrew, thanks for coming over. So the kids are telling me you keep reminding them that you "girded" them? Look you're by far the most flexible and reliable babysitter we've ever had, but we're going to have to let you go. You understand, we can't have the kids living in fear of their next, as you phrase it; "Eminent Girding". Sorry, please do not call us for a recommendation.

• Like 1

Great posts about bugs, great episode with a particularly great preguest segment. Call me the food at Arby's cause I'm in a good mood

• Like 6

Looks like I'm a Shaun... if only "hot dog go to bathroom" wasn't such a good option.

• Like 1

I got Shaun too.

P.s. Thanks for the laughs. I laughed my whole butt off. Like the whole thing

P.p.s since I'm on this site now, you guys should know that "The Villain I'm Most Like When I'm Angry" is The Joker

• Like 5