🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

EPISODE 102 — Joe Wengert Again, Our Close Friend

I hate to because I used to love it, but I agree that it's gotten stale. I think the conceit of the show has run its course, and the charts almost never lead to any actual conversation about the guest. Also, I might be the only one, but I'm completely done hearing about Summah/the ocean and how much Howard hates Wintah/space. Just like what you like and let other people like what they like. It's tiring. Hayes injected a much needed dose of energy into it though.

Sorry, but it feels good to get that off my chest. I just watched the LAPodFest ep of HH. Pete Holmes was right: HH is even better when you can see their faces. More faces!

I agree, I also hate his music

• Like 1

I like HH (not a neo-Nazi reference, actually Hollywood Handbook the podcast, on this, the earwolf network.

CBB - good. almost always great.

Who Charted - I really like it. I love how Howard thinks. Kulap has stopped being a person though, she just hosts, going through the motions. This seems to have started when she started doing her movie. The best thing about WC used to be how Howard's weird, unique way of thinking would lead to him asking guests questions that would get the guest to give answers radically different to the rote answers people in the public eye have long ago learnt to give.

NNF - Sometimes I love it, sometimes it feels like they have done over a 1000 of them in a not-so-much-fun way.

ADPPP - Without peer

Johnny's Bananas - One of those things where it's great and you also get to feel a weird, unearned sense of acheivement because most people don't know about it.

Lauren Lapkus - Hit and miss. If there's just one guest, the chances it's a miss go WAY UP

Womp it Up - Way better than people give it credit for. The whole "there's too much backstory" stuff AV Club commenters love complaining about is mostly because of Scott Aukerman. If you buy into the pirate, robot, ninja triumvirate in improv thing, Scott is definitely a robot. In that what chiefly interests him is making everything make sense and slot together. Also Zouks, and the fact he's known Jessica for so long, and knows how to needle her, is a big part of the backstory when Wompler is on CBB. The ep of I4H with Zouks, St Clair, Parnham is so good and shows how well they can all work together when they're not all trying to undercut each other.

I4H - One of the best, most innovative comedy things in any medium today.

Ronna and Beverly - Took me a couple of eps, but once I got it, I loved it. One of my favourites.

DLM - The fact that people stopped going to the free UCB shows, meaning Doug has to rely more on grasping, sweatily nervous road comedians has seen it drop in quality in a huge way. When he gets good guests though, it's great.

The Flop House - I love it, but HOO BOY never listen to more than one ep in like a week.

SPONT - The problem is PFT. PFT is so heavily ingrained with affectation that the improv thing of truth in comedy is really not his bag. The reason Paul is so good on CBB is that Scott has known him for so long that he can dig into him in a way that gets past all of PFTs affectations. He really always needs someone like Jessica Chaffin on all eps of SPONT who will challenge him and not allow him to just hide behind all his affectations.

PAW - Great but I'm filled with fear for how Greggy will react when he realizes just how thouroughly his son has Babs Streisand to his Kris Kristofferson in "A Star is Born"ed him.

Also check out the Hamilton musical. It's fuckin great you dumb dildos.

• Like 16

Just throwing some other p-casts out there: Pistol Shrimps Radio - 1/2 of Superego improvise a basketball match over a sound effects track of sneakers squeaking and foghorns blaring. With occasional guest Tig Notaro.

TWB: all your favourite features, Ask Agata, July's Funny Pages, a hodown... they're all here!

Worst Idea of All Time. it's kinda fun to listen to Australian people going insane.

• Like 7

Worst Idea of All Time. it's kinda fun to listen to Australian people going insane.

They're from New Zealand. You racist.

• Like 5

They're from New Zealand. You racist.

Whoops, major apologies to the pair.

Stop Podcasting Yourself: I used to listen to the eps where PFT was on, but then I unfollowed him on twitter so I don't think I'll ever listen to it again.

The Adventure Zone: the McElroy brothers play DnD. Enjoyable to listen to.

• Like 1

Casey. You seem like good dude and I think your heart is in the right place, but it's 2015, almost 2016, and I think you need to not project your hangups on other folks. Love is a crazy thing and they heart wants what the heart wants, labels be damned.

To Sean and Grace, my your life and your love exist without puritanical limits.

Glad to see you are doing better since the hospital visit!

• Like 2

never not funny? more like never not googling right

those guys are always looking stuff up!

• Like 12

The Flop House - I love it, but HOO BOY never listen to more than one ep in like a week.

i like flop house too but it seems like a very short podcast to me because i stop listening once the letters from listeners segment starts, and that is half of the show

i give stop podcasting yourself 10 minutes a week to grab me. its fun hearing comedians i never would hear otherwise because of their shameful canadiosity. usually it doesnt make it past the 10, but there are some great eps and i am a fan of some canadian people now like brent butt

cracked finally got so bad i had to unsubscribe in the last episode, but i still hate-listen to one called we hate movies which is a HDTGM/flop house style watch bad movies podcast. i started listening when my podcast tastes were much more forgiving, but now their lewis black-style "i am so mad about this movie" thing is grating, they are not funny at all, and there is only one guy in their rotating cast of hosts i like at all. probably someone here likes it, so sorry for shitting on the thing you like. just think, im the idiot who listens to a thing he doesnt like every week, not you, you're way better off

now if we want to talk a whole network of shows i will say mean things about, lets move on to maximum fun

• Like 7

who charted used to be my favorite earwolf show. it got replaced by cbb and hh over time. Howard seemed to zero in on jaws, the ocean and being young while kulap seemed to have no opinions, thoughts or jokes about anything other than setting up howard for his repeated bits. then the final nail in the coffin was the indie go go campaign. i know kulap and scott aren't zach braff, but come on, make your movie or don't.

I can't believe people paid for her to go see her family when she's told stories about scott buying her cars, and them moving into a bigger house. I don't care if it lead to the Micheal Abelson episode of CBB. All these comedy nerds should be donating to real causes. (spend your money on whatever you want, yadda yadda, I get it)

still, i listen to the show every once and a while.

I4H. I like Besser the comedian, hate Besser the person. Dropped the show. Though, the episode with Zouks, Jess and Len is in my top five podcast episode list.

• Like 9

I am hoping the "changes in the fall" for Who Charted are a reboot of sorts and it can switch from "sometimes" back to "never" tedious.

Boy oh boy was that Hayes ep an absolute gem though.

Want to see a podcast die, its festering carcass bloat and rot on a grey, rocky sunbaked beach? Check out /r/nerdpoker sometime. Schadenfreude at its best for a show that was once so excellent.

• Like 3

ohmigod, greggy, maximum fun

if you want proof that creative endeavors truly do need business/money types to succeed, and that people who think living in New York grants upon them some form of being intrinsically interesting is a notion that's bad and should stop v. v. soon, maximum fun is for you!!!!

in a bad way. maximum fun is bad. if i want to listen to what you are calling a podcast that's just you having put your iphone on a table and then you sit around it and talk in an infuriatingly unstructured way then, sure, i'll listen to to your maximum fun show.

• Like 3

What's everyone's opinion on Pete Holmes. He's a weird one for me, think he's more energy than comedy, but his podcast is great when he gets deeeeeep

By everyone I don't mean every single person in the world btw, that'd just be silly

• Like 1

I like Pete when he isn't astrally projecting positive vibes with dream shamans on mushrooms.

• Like 2

pete's funny

there are things to like about him, and things to hate, obviously. I don't listen to his podcast anymore but that's only after listening to a hundred plus three hour episodes...oh, god, what is my life. I don't want to ever do podcast math again. its too depressing.

• Like 3

who charted used to be my favorite earwolf show. it got replaced by cbb and hh over time. Howard seemed to zero in on jaws, the ocean and being young while kulap seemed to have no opinions, thoughts or jokes about anything other than setting up howard for his repeated bits. then the final nail in the coffin was the indie go go campaign. i know kulap and scott aren't zach braff, but come on, make your movie or don't.

I can't believe people paid for her to go see her family when she's told stories about scott buying her cars, and them moving into a bigger house. I don't care if it lead to the Micheal Abelson episode of CBB. All these comedy nerds should be donating to real causes. (spend your money on whatever you want, yadda yadda, I get it)

shots fired! couldn't agree more. One the one hand, I think it's like a rule not to put your own money into making a movie, BUT the issue is this is not a movie that should have ever been made (was it made?)

That whole thing kind of turned me off...If you want to go see your family that you've never met, just go do that. You don't have to make it into a movie. It's very narcissistic and 'hollywood'.

It makes me cringe thinking about what a cliche her family in Laos must have thought she was. Here's your long lost cousin from America hollywood with her camera crew. Go meet her for the first time. ..and action! Remember your blocking. Don't look directly into the camera

• Like 5

shots fired! couldn't agree more. One the one hand, I think it's like a rule not to put your own money into making a movie, BUT the issue is this is not a movie that should have ever been made (was it made?)

That whole thing kind of turned me off...If you want to go see your family that you've never met, just go do that. You don't have to make it into a movie. It's very narcissistic and 'hollywood'.

It makes me cringe thinking about what a cliche her family in Laos must have thought she was. Here's your long lost cousin from America hollywood with her camera crew. Go meet her for the first time. ..and action! Remember your blocking. Don't look directly into the camera

Well I mean her "origin story" where she found out her step dad wasn't her dad just wasn't that compelling to me. She did raise the money by promising guest spots on CBB stuff. Vanity project fine who cares... I have listened to the pod a lot less frequently though.

When did we become the Hollywood Haters? I blame SteveH!

Is today Sean's wedding day?

• Like 5

late to podcast review thing:

podcasts I listen to - I like them.

podcasts I don't listen to - mostly shit.

• Like 10

This is bad of me to say, but HH and (to a lesser extent) UTU2TM kind of ruined podcasts for me.

I used to listen to and greatly enjoy many different shows. Now if I try to listen to, say, WSGLL or HDTGM, I just give up halfway through and listen to an HH or UTU2TM ep I've already heard at least six times. Nothing else just seems that good anymore.

• Like 9

I think this is my fault and I regret it. I used to only listen to This American Life and Radiolab before I discovered comedy podcasts. I was a much better person back then.

• Like 5

Man, the forums suck this week, right? Just a bunch of whiners!

Edit: whoah, whoops, that was meant to be a PM to Hayzie Bone. No-one read the above, it's confidential.

• Like 18

Man, the forums suck this week, right? Just a bunch of whiners!

Edit: whoah, whoops, that was meant to be a PM to Hayzie Bone. No-one read the above, it's confidential.

Wow, whining about whiners? Andrew you're being a real fucking asshole, man. Get your shit together.

• Like 6

It's meta comedy, I learned it from my favourite show Community.

• Like 20