🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Putney Swope

The Reflecting Skin (1990)

Holy shit, tryin' to figure this one out is a real brain drainer. Definitely one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, but also really entertaining. The plot is really hard to describe, plus that would ruin the fun of watching it. It's pretty much just non-stop WTF moments that I'm still trying to wrap my mind around. It's beautifully shot, and well directed. Vigo Mortensen turns in a pretty unsettling performance as well. The creepy kid in the lead does really well too. I would definitely recommend this one. You've got a vampire, a creepy kid, a pervy one-eyed sheriff, a still born fetus, self immolation, harpoons, and Viggo Mortensen. After seeing this, I've found it has a huge cult following, I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested yet.

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Recently watched this one. A friend's girlfriend brought casually suggested we watch the DVD she just happened to have. I really thought she may have been mentally unbalanced. But with the passing of time, I watched it again, and it really is a beautiful movie. But all the same, how the fuck did this movie get made? Early Viggo Mortensen is very unsettling. The mother waterboarded the child. The sheriff's monologue about how he received his wounds is unintentionally hilarious. The twin sisters making weird noises is never explained. The weird "greaser"-like gang is horrifying in implication. The premise alone is so weird: a vampire movie not about vampires, a coming of age story about a child that could give Damien a run for his money, a murder mystery that everyone seems comfortable blaming on the immolated and closeted father, a time period that is both non-specific and confusing, and a tragic yet creepy love story.

I think a lot of cocaine was consumed in Hollywood that day.

This is a great film, nothing bad about it at all. It's like an Australian Twin Peaks or something. The same director made another movie in the same vein in 1995 called The Passion of Darkly Noon. It has a bit more of a fairy tale vibe, but still very dreamlike and sinister. That film also has Viggo Mortensen but stars Brendan Fraser. Recommended if you liked The Reflecting Skin.

Sign in to follow this