🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 119.5 - MINISODE 119.5

I was first introduced to this film when my mom recorded both that and The Neverending Story when it aired on TBS in around December 1993 as I was only a year old at that time. I know my cousin is a huge He-Man collector and up until rewatching this one again a few years ago, the only part I remembered specifically about the film is when Frank Langella pops out in the post-credits scene exclaiming that he will back for a sequel, which of course did not happen. Needless to say, I'm glad the gang is covering it next week so I can hear their thoughts on that.

• Like 1

I was gonna say that I hated all of y'all for #mancrotchfriday but Jason spared you.

Go Jason's man crotch.

• Like 5

So many belly laughs from this thread.

eQ8ECXX.gif

I would also like to take my 100th post of share my preferred version of Masters of the Universe with post credit scene and everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y

Whenever I am having a bad day I listen to this and it picks me up.

• Like 4

Just in case we don't get an oral history this time I would like to recommend the documentary Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films. Not only do they cover past and most likely future HDTGM films, but is just a really interesting story. As Cockney mentioned this is a Cannon film so they cover it in the documentary. My favourite bit was I guess Stallone showed up on set on day and pointed at Dolph Lundgren and remarked "You gave that guy lines?"

Yeah, I saw that movie a year ago at a festival, and it's awesome. I'll have to rewatch it for this.

• Like 1

Did you guys hear the ad for June's sister's show on Wolfpop (it was at the very end between the show and the "wolf dead" bit)? It seriously weirded me out. It was like listening to a Bizarro June. They sound so much alike, but just different enough to make it really discomforting for a minute.

• Like 1

I fully expect to hear the gang talking about the scene where Teela expresses shock that people eat meat. What exactly are they eating on Eternia?

Sweet, for UK viewers, Masters of the Universe is on Sky Movies On Demand for free.

I was gonna say that I hated all of y'all for #mancrotchfriday but Jason spared you.

Does this mean #Tuesdaysglutesdays has been called off? Shame..

• Like 3

Did you guys hear the ad for June's sister's show on Wolfpop (it was at the very end between the show and the "wolf dead" bit)? It seriously weirded me out. It was like listening to a Bizarro June. They sound so much alike, but just different enough to make it really discomforting for a minute.

Unless you listen to almost no Earwolf/Wolfpop shows and/or have a VERY quick trigger finger for cutting off shows at the end of the actual content, it would be hard to avoid. And all I'll say is that I wish I could avoid it.

Anyway, I listened to this pretty early in the morning, so I think I think I might have been dreaming when Paul announced that they'd be doing an in-studio episode about a movie that's on Netflix. Yay!

• Like 1

Well, I guess I'm an insane person here but I LOVED THIS MOVIE as a kid. Loved it. Sort of hate you all now. All of you. Especially those of you posting those horrible pictures of man crotches that I have now downloaded to hate all by myself later when the family is asleep.

• Like 4

So yeah...this morning was the first opportunity I've had to listen to the mini-episode, and I'm not going to lie to you all, Paul's words stung a bit.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

i still have no idea whats happening but this just popped into my head.... so thanks for that

It started from the middle of page 18 of the "Maximum Overdrive" thread. The talk of gif wars and "Perfect" ended up with pics and gifs of men where their groinal region was rather prominently displayed.

So yeah...this morning was the first opportunity I've had to listen to the miniepisode, and I'm not going to lie to you all, Paul's words stung a bit.

Awww, I'm sure he was just joking.

ru8uab.gif

• Like 4

"Stephen King strikes me as someone who has zero regrets"

GS49w5X.jpg

• Like 4

This movie does so many things wrong, but Meg Foster as Evil-Lyn... oh man, even watching this as a kid, she was both menacing and.... well, let's just say she helped fuel some pre-pubescent nerd fantasies.

s_3789400megfosterermastersof.jpg

• Like 5

I watched the "He-Man" cartoons as a kid and this was...less good. IMDB's trivia says that this movie was based on the toys, NOT the series, so I guess we're 35 years overdue for the movie of my Barbie making out with GI Joe until I got bored and put Barbie's head on GI Joe's body and vice-versa.

If I had to pick a least favorite thing about the movie, I'd say it's He-Man's mullet. He-Man will always have a pageboy in my mind.

The actress who played Teela, Chelsea Field, looked so familiar I had to look her up. I think I remember her from "The Last Boy Scout" more than her roles in "Perfect" and "Death Spa." If they drop the live podcasts both right after this one, will that be the first time someone has appeared in 3 HDTGM movies in a row? It's pretty impressive to tie with Jennifer Lopez and Al Pacino for 3-timer in a 6 week period. OK, maybe "impressive" isn't the right word, but it's something.

• Like 5

I'm a bit of a late comer to HDTGM but this is the first movie they've done that I haven't seen in 20yrs yet don't need to rewatch because I know it so well. Can't wait.

• Like 2

I watched the "He-Man" cartoons as a kid and this was...less good. IMDB's trivia says that this movie was based on the toys, NOT the series, so I guess we're 35 years overdue for the movie of my Barbie making out with GI Joe until I got bored and put Barbie's head on GI Joe's body and vice-versa.

To be fair, the toys actually came before the series by about 3 years. Mattel missed the boat on Star Wars toys and was looking for the next new thing. They basically decided that they wanted something really simple they could market to kids, so they came up with this generic "He-Man." Most of the mythology that wound up in the series was either written as part of their backstories (and were included with the toys as mini-comics) or came about as part of the DC mini-series. The cartoon was just another way to market their existing toy line, which ended up being a very common practice later in the 80s.

The actress who played Teela, Chelsea Field, looked so familiar I had to look her up. I think I remember her from "The Last Boy Scout" more than her roles in "Perfect" and "Death Spa." If they drop the live podcasts both right after this one, will that be the first time someone has appeared in 3 HDTGM movies in a row? It's pretty impressive to tie with Jennifer Lopez and Al Pacino for 3-timer in a 6 week period. OK, maybe "impressive" isn't the right word, but it's something.

I noticed that, too! It would probably be the quickest I know that someone has turned into a HDTGM All-Star.

• Like 3

Shoot, a He-man movie without Orko or Battlecat? No thank you!

giphy.gif

#notmyheman

• Like 6

I'd like to think that in the Director's Cut of this film, He Man couldn't get back to Eternia, and had to find work on Earth working in kids TV in the UK

5856352-large.jpg

• Like 5

I love Billy Barty in UHF:

tWvEYp7.jpg

Says it's no longer available :(

Must be region locked. Well it's free in the US.

• Like 1

I know this is going to come as a shock to all of you, but apparently this production was a mess. Check out this retrospective video below.

• Like 3