🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 27 - Underneath the Eiffel Tower: Live from Largo

Paul F. Tompkins once again welcomes the wonderful people of Los Angeles AND the internet to a LIVE episode of Spontaneanation recorded at the world-famous Largo at The Coronet! This week, Paul’s special guest is Scott Aukerman of Comedy Bang! Bang! (Both versions). They chat about what living non-human thing he would make using his rib, growing up unattached to the family wiener dog, and how he fell in love with his Boston Terrier. Paul is then joined by Matt Gourley, Amanda Lund, and Chris Tallman to improvise a story set underneath the Eiffel Tower. And as always, Eban Schletter (only the best) scores it all on piano!

Don’t forget! The next LIVE SPONTANEANATION is happening Saturday, October 3rd with Paul’s pals Drew Massey, Colleen Smith, and Victor Yerrid from No, You Shut Up! and very special guest Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles. There will be special moments that you can only experience LIVE so get your tickets now over at www.paulftompkins.com/live!

PFT's EPISODE NOTES

- I have no recollection of what we’re looking at in that one backstage picture!

- Scott and I covered

and ended the song with a two-man kickline!

- There are many, many, many instances of the headset mics being audibly adjusted and I am 99% certain that it is 100% me!

- Matt Gourley could not help himself from doing visual gags!

At 0:57:46, he takes my pocket square from my jacket

At 1:03:25 , he enters the scene as a shaky, weird-faced warbly guy and pretends to eat my pocket square, then reaches into his pockets and throws his actual cash in the air

- Chris Tallman catches the Gourley virus around 1:00:01; he “chloroforms” Scott, who falls down!

- At 1:12:02, Scott abruptly stops speaking and there's a big laugh and for the life of me I have no idea what causes it!

- At 1:12:55, Scott "kicks" Chris and Chris falls down!

I like how Scott is asked a simple question and immediately needs to apply "Would You Rather" rules to suss out the situation and the "correct" answer. He even seems worried the floor was not opened for questions!

"What's the modern equivalent of that reference?"

"It is an OK Go video!"

• Like 10

Man. When Spont is good, it's really good. Definitely the best improv of the series so far. Loved Tallman pimping Aukerman to do not one, but two commercials.

• Like 5

I've been waiting for this one ever since the recording was announced in July. Can't wait to listen.

• Like 3

I'd make an animal that has infinite rib bones. I don't know how, but I feel like I'd be cheating the system in some way.

• Like 3

Lot of mic noise, and hard to tell what was going on sometimes, but really damn funny! Scott really seemed like he was trying to turn that interview into a Would You Rather. I was hoping Paul would tell him that the floor was not open for questions.

• Like 1

I've been waiting for this one ever since the recording was announced in July. Can't wait to listen.

Right there with you. When I woke up early this morning at 6:30am and saw this waiting for me, I may have shrieked with delight. No really...I did.

It did not disappoint at all. From the warning in the intro about Matt Gourley's inability to stop himself from visual shenanigans to the improvers inability to do their own plugs properly at the end...this was pure gold. Definitely one of my favourite episodes.

I would also like to assure everyone I passed on my morning commute that I am NOT, in fact, crazy...I always laugh out loud on Monday mornings. Now you know why.

• Like 1

I'm Canadian and I've never heard of French-Canadians being called Pepsis, although it is true that it is more popular than Coke over there.

• Like 3

Eban's intro music was tight on this episode! It's always super-awesome, of course, but I mean he referenced music stuff I recognized which added to my personal enjoyment (like, how sometimes in threads to other episodes people comment on all the awesome little bits Eban sneaks into the proceedings— now I get to qwrite a comment like those!).

From playing the Jazzy Rascal tune, to the Bond theme when Matt came out, to his slow crescendo of the Comedy Bang Bang theme as PFT introduced Scott and then just full on jamming on those piano keys like Reggie Watts was in his fingers— he would also send stuff into a minor key for a sobering and/or foreboding effect— I was really REALLY loving Eban this whole episode.

• Like 5

"Right now the reason we don't eat our dogs is we assume that they have a poor taste. We hear 'Oh, they taste like chicken', but we have chickens so we should just eat them. Now, if hot dogs did not exist, and dogs tasted like hot dogs, no one could resist."

SPONT_071115_08.jpg

Poor Scott, he's losing his mind right in front of us

• Like 13

I could listen to an entire show that was nothing but Scott talking complete nonsense and he and Paul antagonizing each other. The great improv was a nice bonus.

• Like 8

I could listen to an entire show that was nothing but Scott talking complete nonsense and he and Paul antagonizing each other.

Oh, like Comedy Bang Bang?

• Like 6

Great cameo by the Juice Bar Genie as 'Claude' in Steve the American Baker's first commercial. lol

• Like 1

For a moment, I thought Paul was waiting for the entire audience to join him in declaring Eban "ONLY…THE BEST."

This seems like it should become a standard practice.

Possibly at the live SPONTANEANATION on November 7.

Not least of which because Eban's birthday is November 2.

Get on it, Largo audience!

This comedy is good comedy. My opinion doesn't count because I could listen to Paul and Scott talk to each other all day, seriously like a 24-hour takeover of MTV, and all three guests have become improv legends in my books since this podcast has started.

I'm going to edit in the following link to my comment because if anyone listening to the podcast hasn't seen this, they definitely should. These two! Come on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTQ5B43_1oE

• Like 2

I wish Scott would have done like all previous guests and stayed gone for the improv portion.

All previous guests except for Colin Hanks, you mean?

• Like 1

All previous guests except for Colin Hanks, you mean?

And Derek Waters.

• Like 2

And Derek Waters.

Oh yes! Good call. I couldn't remember if any interview guests had participated in studio, but I definitely remembered Colin jumping in during that convention story at Largo.

I don't understand why the guest should stay away if they can hang with the improvers. I don't think it should be mandatory but I certainly hope Andy Daly hopped in on his episode.

• Like 6