🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 252 — The Mugging Mugger

I love Armen on this show. I feel like he even dialed it back a lot with his personality this time. But I really don't think I'm a fan of Josh. Howard being there would have made it a lot more enjoyable I think.

Whenever Kulap is unavailable, they manage to find a wonderful guest host (like Emily Gordon) to fill in. Instead, we get Armen when Howard is out of town. Honestly, I was wondering whether re-booking the dreadful Armen over and over again was some sort of Andy Kaufman bit--you know, torture the audience as part of some long "con" for eventual comedic effect. If so, then adding in this utterly horrible, unlistenable guest was upping the ante in some way. I'm waiting for the hirarious reveal where it is explained why the audience has been punished in this way, Is this a new form of meta-comedy that I cannot quite grasp yet?

Whenever Kulap is unavailable, they manage to find a wonderful guest host (like Emily Gordon) to fill in. Instead, we get Armen when Howard is out of town. Honestly, I was wondering whether re-booking the dreadful Armen over and over again was some sort of Andy Kaufman bit--you know, torture the audience as part of some long "con" for eventual comedic effect. If so, then adding in this utterly horrible, unlistenable guest was upping the ante in some way. I'm waiting for the hirarious reveal where it is explained why the audience has been punished in this way, Is this a new form of meta-comedy that I cannot quite grasp yet?

I'll be honest, I listened to more of the episode over the weekend when I had a drive and didn't want the radio. I stopped listening when the guest was in an irate tantrum calling some female musician a bitch over and over again, and I'm not that PC, don't take things too seriously, but this felt like elementary school 'comedy' to me and I turned it off. In listening to more, he did have some comedic moments that entertained me, like his turn as Ringo Starr. I still felt like he was trying to force some shtick rather than it being birthed organically, but I wasn't as sure of him being a talentless hack after listening to more.

However... I agree with your statement about Kulap's replacements being good almost all of the time, and Howard's replacement being who Kulap picked... I am not going to search the banks of my memory for a long list of substitutes I'd give my approval for, but Hayes from Hollywood Handbook could be great just based on his recent episode.

I for one would really like more earwolf crossover, but maybe recording times are all spaced out so the hosts arent always just at jobsite hanging around. I think it would be super funny if Scott sometimes popped in during two charted, or howard popped into CBB. I think most Chartists would be on board with just about any earwolf regulars popping in for a few minutes of two charted, it has that laid back atmosphere basically all of the time.

• Like 1

It really seemed like Ravi had a great time and was legitimately fascinated by Howard.

Fantastic episode, really enjoyed this morning as a result :D

+1 on the pop-ins ^ mentioned by Stan

Love me a good pop-in.

Sign in to follow this