🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 120 - Masters of the Universe

As a student pilot, I am here to officially confirm June's theory that flying is not for gross awful terrible poor people.

Learning to fly is expensive. Owning a plane is expensive. Maintaining a plane is expensive. Renting a hangar is expensive. Expensive.

• Like 4

I was a little surprised there was no mention of Teela's 4th wall breaking "Woman At Arms" joke. Just imagine how great this movie could be if Skeletor was giving asides into the camera.

Oh my God! The amount of times the actors looked directly to camera was insane! It was as if at any moment they were just going to stop the action and say, "Oh! I didn't see you come in..."

37926fd4c2bdaea9d1aafb40f24df312.gif

And then--if the movie followed in the footsteps of the cartoon--after they formally addressed their viewers, they could launch into a PSA about the value of friendship or the dangers of downed power lines.

• Like 9

Just FYI (apologies if already mentioned) but, She-Ra is Prince Adam's long lost twin sister.

• Like 1

Corrections and Omissions:

So what happened to the past versions of Courteney Cox and Robert Duncan McNeill?!

If Cox and McNeill physically travel back in time (like they physically traveled to Eternia) then there must be past versions of themselves Wang Chunging it up in suburbia. So do future Cox and McNeill go into hiding so that that their dopey past selves can live their lives blissfully unaware that in an alternate timeline they had a stupid adventure with a greased up prince and mini-me Phil Spector? Or do they kill their past selves? I hope the script for the sequel at least addressed the time paradox they created.

I sort of love that no one on the this podcast knows the He-Man lore. It's like listening to just June talk about Street Fighter.

All I really remember about the toys & cartoon (besides She-Ra stuff) was that He-Man has dumb hair. So I really thought they captured his essence here.

I want the remix theme song back.

• Like 5

tumblr_nvluf5NVFP1qh6q1co1_1280.jpg

Obviously one of June's best episodes.

• Like 13

Corrections and Omissions:

So what happened to the past versions of Courteney Cox and Robert Duncan McNeill?!

If Cox and McNeill physically travel back in time (like they physically traveled to Eternia) then there must be past versions of themselves Wang Chunging it up in suburbia. So do future Cox and McNeill go into hiding so that that their dopey past selves can live their lives blissfully unaware that in an alternate timeline they had a stupid adventure with a greased up prince and mini-me Phil Spector? Or do they kill their past selves? I hope the script for the sequel at least addressed the time paradox they created.

They could have just merged, what really is the paradox is what happened to the past principal Strickland?

• Like 1

Also a great ep for June's father. I mean the whole Raphael family is killing it.

to be fair to June's dad, I do think they have similar eyes, noses and lips.

ETA: images aren't working. sorry. just google "cillian murpy" and "june diane raphael"

• Like 10

I can't believe the totally homo-erotic scene where Skeletor has He-Man chained up and is whipping him. Just an oiled up, blonde muscleman practically naked, spread eagled, being whipped and groaning. In a kid's film.

Also when Skeletor gets the sword and transformed into the Master of the Universe, he turns into something that looks as if it comes straight out of a Chinese restaurant.

• Like 1

I work in aviation and I know a lot of regular dad-types with modest homes (i.e., poor garbage people) who have a fractional ownership in private planes. Shared expenses and all that. Don't know how common this was in 1987.

Courtney Cox's character says she's getting on a plane and moving 3,000 miles away from it all, then the newspaper clipping about her parents says "California." (I paused it, I'm not proud.) So, not middle America, which is so weird to me.

And finally, I lost my mind when I saw Pons "Fake Person" Maar in the credits.

• Like 3

Sidebar: when the damn hell did the outro change????

(Clearly I never listen through the last commercial, but I am still outraged to have lost the The Wolf Dead sting)

• Like 1

I was listening to this episode while falling asleep and when I woke up this morning, I was convinced that the story about June's dad confusing her for Cillian Murphy in Sunshine was dream logic bleeding into what I actually heard.

• Like 6

I work in aviation and I know a lot of regular dad-types with modest homes (i.e., poor garbage people) who have a fractional ownership in private planes. Shared expenses and all that. Don't know how common this was in 1987.

Courtney Cox's character says she's getting on a plane and moving 3,000 miles away from it all, then the newspaper clipping about her parents says "California." (I paused it, I'm not proud.) So, not middle America, which is so weird to me.

And finally, I lost my mind when I saw Pons "Fake Person" Maar in the credits.

I too worked in aviation, and while my shitty little local airport doesn't have dirty, disgusting, poor people with their own planes, it certainly does have dirty, disgusting, not-rich people that do, and they're some of the worst. Also, their planes seem to fit their personalities. When I worked weekends, there was this one asshole that always conveniently managed to show up like five minutes before we were supposed to leave (like the group that comes rolling up to Red Robin at 10:58 pm) that always looked disheveled and had kids that were a pain in the ass. We'd get stuck having to pull his plane, fuel it, and then wait around to find out that he was NOT in fact going to fly, because the weather was shit and had been shit all day. I'll be damned if his plane didn't look like a fucking station wagon with wings.

• Like 5

Photographer: "OK guys .. everyone say a big CHEESE!"

Paul: "CHEESE!!!"

Tatiana: "CHEESE!!!"

June: "CHEESE!!!"

Jason: " "

2vsqnx5.jpg

Nice SHORTS, jerks!

• Like 5

I found it odd that the only member of the "advance group" to get punished by death when they returned to Castle Grayskull was Saurod, especially considering he was the only one of the four that never spoke a word... maybe it was just too expensive to keep that weird throat sac pumping, because sadly that seemed to be the most impressive special effect in the entire movie.

also, I totally expected Jason to comment on Gwildor's disgusting lip-smacking right before the stole those ribs... I was really looking forward to a detailed description of some wet mouth sounds.

• Like 5

It was an all time best for me when you talked about this being a classic cable TV movie, because that is exactly what this movie is to me. This and Maximum Overdrive, so your discussion was like the perfect coda to this incredible two episode nostalgia trip. I love you guys. You are all invited whenever I get married. I was hoping that Tatiana would mention this as a classic for her because it was on Canadian TV that it always aired in the afternoon, but maybe Regina local access TV had rights to different shitty movies. Anyway, I have an omission. How about that part where Kevin is trying to recall the tune, but can't concentrate because the swelling music score is actually diegetic, so they laser blast the loud speaker? Hilarious. That's got to the first time that was a thing. To

• Like 1

Question for paul, where is Tatiana Maslany from? and don't say canada.

I just want to hear him say it LOL...

In my book there can only be one Masters of the Universe, the entire time watching this I could not help but think of this guy. or how much Dolph Lundgren looked like the missing member of this rock group.

1177m37.jpg

and wasn't Kirstie Alley great in this.

1ht5jt.jpg

Couple things:

1. I believe Tatiana was talking about this, but the best line of the movie is when they are talking about the plane crash, Kevin says to Julie, "These things happen..." What things?!

2. One big thing that I couldn't understand was when Gwildor pulled up in the car and it is completely reconfigured with "alien technology". Where did Gwildor get this tech from? We saw him come over with just the japanese synthesizer. Did he create a new worm hole to go home and get some parts to rig up a car? Also what was the purpose of reconfiguring said car? It's not like it needs to run any differently. It's a CAR!

Omission: Why no mention of the post-credits scene in which we see Skeletor is not dead and vows to be back?

You mean he's not dead? didn't make it the end credits.

23swsk4.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have anything to add about Masters, but I do want to say that I totally get where Paul is coming from with listening to movies. I have an old iPod Classic that I put a ton of movies on and on long car trips I would put these movies on and "listen" to them while driving. I probably know When Harry Met Sally and Stardust by heart at this point. There are certain movies that, once you've already seen them, they just work really well if you're just listening to them. It's a lot of fun and a good way to pass the time on long car rides. Of course, I also listen to excellent podcasts like How Did This Get Made?, but that's besides the point.

• Like 1