🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 120.5 - Minisode 120.5

We're going from the Masters of the Universe to the Masters of the Gymnasium. Next week will be a John Travolta health club classic. This week Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Masters of the Universe, why Nic Cage would do justice if he were in Masters in the Universe, and an amazing documentary you need to see during Paul's Pick of the Week. Plus, Paul answers your Qs about the best cartoon of the 80s, what car Paul, June, and Jason would drive in the Fast & Furious universe, and much more!

People of the internet: The League is back on FXX 10pm on Wednesdays! A while ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA and now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Sleeping With Other People in a theater near you!

The Hotwives (Casey Wilson, Danielle Schneider, Andrea Savage, Dannah Phirman, Tymberlee Hill, Angela Kinsey, Erinn Hayes) are back and this time they are in Vegas baby! Watch The Hotwives of Las Vegas on Hulu today!

Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, Paul in Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp on Netflix, all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, ScheeRL on YouTube here:

, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm not going to watch this movie, but it still looks promising based on this:

December 12th? are we getting a Christmas movie this year?

also, maybe someone can help me out... i assume death spa is going to be the halloween ep ... does anyone know where this is streaming outside of the US?

haven't been able to find it since they announced the live eps (at least not for a less than 20 quid and not torrent). i think Perfect is in the play store so if i cant find a physical copy i guess i can rent it there but death spa is proving a problem.

Wow the Nic Cage theme song came out of left field. I love it

• Like 7

I wasn't going to give that creep any of my money, so I haven't seen it yet. I might do it for the podcast, though. Might.

John Travolta is back with appearance #5! Now that Perfect is coming, he, Nicolas Cage and Sylvester Stallone are the three kings of HDTGM royalty.

• Like 1

Forgot about that little gemstone of a movie, has anyone really even watch it yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-yA66kaVc

I actually have. I have a weird fascination with evangelicals. I grew up around a lot of them (and probably would be one now if I hadn't gradually realized how full of shit many of them are). I've read all the Left Behind books, and I've seen all three of the movies with Kirk Cameron. I haven't seen the Nic Cage one, though. I've even seen Fireproof, which is the one where Cameron plays the firefighter who uses "The Love Dare" (no, seriously) to try to save his marriage. In fact, in that movie, Cameron refused to kiss any woman other than his real-life wife, so they dressed his wife like his character's wife and shot the only kiss between them in the shadows.

I find this kind of bananas shit FASCINATING. That said, Saving Christmas is really fucking boring. Most of the movie takes place in a car and is like Kirk Cameron preaching at you as he knocks down as many straw men as possible. It's stupid, but it's not stupid in any kind of fun way.

• Like 2

I had heard that about Saving Christmas when it was released. I guess I was being a bit facile when I made the above comment, but I really do despise Kirk Cameron and I'd love to hear June demolish one of his garbage movies. Fireproof sounds like a good candidate.

when it comes to evangelicals there is only room for one in hollywood and he is the grand master of evangelicals.. Stephen Baldwin

I actually have. I have a weird fascination with evangelicals. I grew up around a lot of them (and probably would be one now if I hadn't gradually realized how full of shit many of them are). I've read all the Left Behind books, and I've seen all three of the movies with Kirk Cameron. I haven't seen the Nic Cage one, though. I've even seen Fireproof, which is the one where Cameron plays the firefighter who uses "The Love Dare" (no, seriously) to try to save his marriage. In fact, in that movie, Cameron refused to kiss any woman other than his real-life wife, so they dressed his wife like his character's wife and shot the only kiss between them in the shadows.

I find this kind of bananas shit FASCINATING. That said, Saving Christmas is really fucking boring. Most of the movie takes place in a car and is like Kirk Cameron preaching at you as he knocks down as many straw men as possible. It's stupid, but it's not stupid in any kind of fun way.

I felt this way when I finally watched "God's Not Dead". I thought it would be cuckoo bananas from all the talk here, and I HAD seen some crazy stuff from it when it played at my theater for six weeks, but when I saw it on Netflix, I was pretty bored by it. It may have been diminished because I'd seen all the "best" parts already, and it was actually fairly-decently acted even if the script was bad, so it wasn't entertainingly BAD bad in that sense.

Speaking of my theater, the film that was playing our largest auditorium the week I started there was none other than Kirk Cameron's "Left Behind", which I thought was absolutely strange because that movie had had a home video release first and had been polluting the shelves for a good few months BEFORE getting a limited theatrical run.

When I watched "Perfect" one of the scenes I remembered was when John Travolta keeps running across the health club to try and apologize to Jamie Lee Curtis all while a Boy George impersonator was entertaining the guests and that part kept me laughing.

Also, Travolta's boss over at Rolling Stone is played by real life founder of the magazine, Jann Wenner in case you want your history checked. And there was this one black guy who kept punching Travolta in the gut after threatening him not to do that article on Curtis. He appeared in like two or three scenes and I wondered what was his problem with Travolta? If anyone sees it, please talk about it!

Right now, I'm just avoiding the forum just in case you guys think that #SweatySaturday or #SweatySunday is an appropriate idea.

• Like 4

Right now, I'm just avoiding the forum just in case you guys think that #SweatySaturday or #SweatySunday is an appropriate idea.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

i just watched the documentary paul had for his scheer pick, Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films. its amazing. i smiled the whole way thru it. i think if they ever have another Howdies then Canon need to get a special achievement award or something. id actually really enjoy hearing the gang talk about this documentary:

• Like 4

As a former Canadian, I would like to wish all the Canadian people in this forum a happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your turkey and some sweaty John Travolta.

• Like 5

As a former Canadian, I would like to wish all the Canadian people in this forum a happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your turkey and some sweaty John Travolta.

I don't think there's such a thing as being a former Canadian. I think it's just something that's always there that you have to deal with all your life, so just keep following the steps, keep going to your meetings, and keep fighting the temptation to fall back into that Canadian lifestyle. Be strong!

• Like 6

FYI Kumail Nanjiani is a huge He-Man fan and went into a lot of the stuff (some that Slash Film covered) after the Masters of the Universe episode if y'all want to check out the most recent Indoor Kids.

• Like 6

Just a quick weigh-in for the renter/purchasers: I was about to rent this on iTunes, when I noticed it was encoded in '02 in Fullscreen format. I hate pan-and-scan, so instead of taking a chance on it, I went to Amazon and rented it there, where I got the full 1:1.85 experience.

(people who watch the Fullscreen version might actually enjoy it more, because this movie suffers from chronic static frame, so it probably pans constantly.)

FYI Kumail Nanjiani is a huge He-Man fan and went into a lot of the stuff (some that Slash Film covered) after the Masters of the Universe episode if y'all want to check out the most recent Indoor Kids.

I was actually thinking about him during this episode and how much I wish he had been the guest, mostly because of the episode of Indoor Kids with Ashly Burch where he just kept interrupting Ashly and Emily to talk about MotU.

On an unrelated note, has anyone watched Perfect yet? I have a busy week, and honestly, this movie sounds terribly boring, so I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to actually watch the movie. Any verdict yet?

And, finally, Paul doesn't really understand time travel, I think. In BTTF 2, the reason Marty is in the alternate 1985 (and there isn't another Marty around) is because he went back to the exact moment in time that he left 1985. In MotU, Courteney Cox and her dude go back to a time before they left. The alternate timeline hasn't been created yet; they're actually creating it by changing previous events. When you go to a point in time different than your actual present, your contemporary self will also exist. Unless it's like Rick and Morty and you go to a parallel universe in which you have already died and are assuming the life of your dead self.

Oh, and that's BTTF rules (which are pretty common in time travel movies). Maybe they were actually going by Bill & Ted rules, though, which make no sense and let you do whatever the fuck you want.

• Like 4