🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 120.5 - Minisode 120.5

On an unrelated note, has anyone watched Perfect yet? I have a busy week, and honestly, this movie sounds terribly boring, so I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to actually watch the movie. Any verdict yet?

I'm about halfway through as of this morning. I tried watching this weekend, but my son wasn't having it. Sure--we can sit and watch episode after episode of The Octonauts, but as soon as Daddy wants to watch something, it's crawl all over him with noisy toys in his face time.

Anyway, I'm not going to say don't watch it, but I am finding it pretty boring so far. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of meat on the bones. I would be surprised if they can't cover it all in an hour and a half. It has it's moments, but I'm not finding it to be particularly crazy or anything. The craziest bits seem to be the five minute straight aerobic scenes, and we've pretty much mined that with our gifs on the board. It's basically your standard, "reporter researching a story and may have gotten too close to his source" kind of tale. In fact, it's a better movie then I would have guessed, but really, not my cup of tea. I'm interested in what they have to say about it, because, so far at least, I'm not really getting much out of it. But, then again, they are really good of catching things that I miss. I just hope it's not just an hour of them talking about Travolta gyrating his hips, because, much like it is in the film, that will get old pretty quick.

But, like I said, I'm only halfway through, maybe it goes off the rails in the second half. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

• Like 5

I actually have. I have a weird fascination with evangelicals. I grew up around a lot of them (and probably would be one now if I hadn't gradually realized how full of shit many of them are). I've read all the Left Behind books, and I've seen all three of the movies with Kirk Cameron. I haven't seen the Nic Cage one, though. I've even seen Fireproof, which is the one where Cameron plays the firefighter who uses "The Love Dare" (no, seriously) to try to save his marriage. In fact, in that movie, Cameron refused to kiss any woman other than his real-life wife, so they dressed his wife like his character's wife and shot the only kiss between them in the shadows.

I find this kind of bananas shit FASCINATING. That said, Saving Christmas is really fucking boring. Most of the movie takes place in a car and is like Kirk Cameron preaching at you as he knocks down as many straw men as possible. It's stupid, but it's not stupid in any kind of fun way.

I have an odd fascination too (and the same goes for Mormons and Scientologists, which I have had the fascination of long before it was fashionable), and I know some who are very nice people. Even though I do not see eye to eye with them on most issues, I feel bad when they are mercilessly mocked just because they see the world differently.

I have also seen Fireproof out of morbid curiosity. I will say, I thought that it was not a good movie, but not a terrible movie and at least the non religious stuff was coming from a good place. The worst part about it was probably the attempts at comedy.

• Like 1

Also, two weeks ago when I read the podcast description on the mini and it said they were doing a movie about a man who really really hates a skeleton I thought "That's a rough thing to say about Jamie Lee Curtis."

• Like 1

Hey all!

Since we are officially into the final quarter of 2015, I thought I'd take a minute to do an informal HDTGM forums "State of the Union" post. I've no real purpose for doing this except that I probably interact with you all way more than I interact with those weird-o "real" people in my life, and as such, I'm invested in how you all are doing. I genuinely hope everything is going well for you all in your day-to-day lives.

Anyway, today I was reflecting on all the episodes that have dropped this year and how great they have been, and I was wondering what everyone's top five favorite episodes of HDTGM have been for the year so far? And, if different, what were everyone's favorite HDTGM films this year? Additionally, if you've had any favorite moments, guests, or whatever, please feel free to share those as well! Think of this as a kind of unofficial "Howdies."

To save you all the time of looking them up, I took the liberty of listing all the episodes that have dropped thus far:

101 Xanadu

102 Tango and Cash

103 and 104 Zardoz

105 Safe Haven

106 Deep Blue Sea

107 Lake Placid

108 Con Air

109 Face Off

110 The Island of Dr. Moreau

111 Hercules in New York

112 Jupiter Ascending

113 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze

114 Runaway

115 Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!

116 Top Dog

117 Theodore Rex

118 Furious 7

119 Maximum Overdrive

120 Masters of the Universe

My Top 5 Episodes for the Year

1) Furious 7

2) Masters of the Universe

3) Deep Blue Sea

4) Runaway

5) Face Off

Top Movies Covered This Year

1) Furious 7

2) Jupiter Ascending

3) Safe Haven

4) Tango and Cash

5) Xanadu

Thanks everyone for giving me a fun place fuck around, be stupid, and forget about work and all of life's other bullshit for a little bit every day.

Also, I'd like to say thank you to all the engineers, moderators, and interns that help make this show possible. You guys are the best!

And finally, a huge thank you to Paul, Jason, and June for delivering an incredible show every two weeks (every week in Paul's case)! I subscribe to a ton of podcasts, but I honestly look forward to this one more than any other. I just want you all to know that I recognize that a lot of work goes into making HDTGM what it is, and I just wanted to let you all know that it's appreciated!

• Like 6

I have an odd fascination too (and the same goes for Mormons and Scientologists, which I have had the fascination of long before it was fashionable), and I know some who are very nice people. Even though I do not see eye to eye with them on most issues, I feel bad when they are mercilessly mocked just because they see the world differently.

I agree, and that's why I strayed away from that. I honestly don't think that, with the exception of Left Behind (which has some seriously bonkers shit that's just bad writing and not just theological nonsense), I would want to have Cameron's movies for HDTGM. Ultimately, to do this with Fireproof or Saving Christmas would just be an episode making fun of his beliefs. And I feel like that would make the show a lot less good-natured.

• Like 2

My Top 5 Episodes:

1. Furious 7

2. Deep Blue Sea

3. Lake Placid

4. Face/Off

5.Jupiter Ascending

My Top 5 Movies:

1. FURIOUS 7 (like, by a long shot)

2. Face Off

3. Deep Blue Sea

4. Con Air

5. TMNT 2

I almost consider Deep Blue Sea/Lake Placid episodes a 2-parter, even though they had different guests. But just the fact that they were similar-ish movies and had PFT on them, who clearly HATED both movies, made them so wonderful.

That said, my favorite episodes are the ones where they genuinely love the movie for how fucked up it is. That's why Deep Blue Sea and the F&F movies are some of my favorites. I mean, I love it when Jason is so exasperated by how bad a movie is that he gets halfway through explaining a part of the movie and then just goes, "You know what? It doesn't matter." That's what got me listening to the show, but when they honestly love a movie, they just really get into it and seem to have more fun. Since they've been doing so many live shows this year, that fun becomes very infectious in the live crowds and makes a really enjoyable episode.

• Like 5

I had a bit of a fascination with the Mormons as well, as I spent my high school years smack dab in the middle of Mormon country (Idaho Falls, ID, to be exact) and had no idea what Mormons even were until I moved there. As a kid whose parents pretty much let me do what I wanted because I wouldn't abuse it, I found the weird little rules that some of my friends had to stick to to be pretty odd, as it's not like THEY were weird or anything. I eventually learned of a lot of the loopholes that were in place though that pretty much let everyone do what they wanted when no one was looking. In what I'm sure is no surprise to anyone that knows anything, it's just a tad hypocritical. I know, shocking, right?

Anyway, this made me think of the documentary called "Cleanflix", which was on Netflix a while ago and might still be floating around somewhere, which is all about the controversy surrounding the censoring of movies, the people that do it, the people that distribute it, and the turf war that kind of hilariously erupted within that community. What it basically boils down to, like WHY this was such a hot industry, was that Mormons were jealous because they were basically leaving themselves out of the conversation when it came to pop culture. They tried making films for themselves that were tailored to their beliefs (and some notable filmmakers actually started in that scene), but they were all kind of the same and not terribly entertaining. What they really wanted to watch were the movies that the rest of the world was talking about, but that damn Hollywood (they talk about Hollywood like it's a person) always has to load its movies with sex and violence, and their belief was that those things only appealed to shitty people. They wanted to watch and be able to talk about movies like "The Matrix" and "Saving Private Ryan", but without all that stuff that made those movies the movies they were. It's insane what they deemed acceptable and what they didn't, as they'd talk about a movie like "Pretty Woman" being irredeemable because it was still a movie about a whore no matter how much stuff you cut out, but then later in the film I saw fucking "SCARFACE" on the shelf at one of the stores they show. Occasionally, throughout the film, they cut to Mormon college kids that have zero real world experience that pretty much spew the same rhetoric, that Hollywood is garbage and that Hollywood movies only appeal to the lowest common denominator, all the while having never seen the films in question. What I would have liked to have seen was more interaction between these kids and those that had a more normal upbringing, but it doesn't really want to tell that story. Overall though, it's a pretty interesting watch that really hit home in some spots, and I suggest looking for it if you can.

• Like 3

Top 5 Episodes:

1. Masters of the Universe

2. Deep Blue Sea

3. Furious 7

4. Face Off

5. Maximum Overdrive/Con Air tie

(Honorable mentions include TMNT2 and Jupiter Ascending)

Top 5 Movies Covered:

1. Face Off

2. Face Off

3. Face Off

4. Face Off

5. Face Off

Y'all Face Off changed my life.

I also feel obliged to put The Island of Dr. Moreau since I won the correction/omission that week but I won't because I gotta be fair and that was in the mini-ep lol.

• Like 6

Top 5 Episodes:

1. Furious 7

2. Deep Blue Sea

3. Con Air

4. Face/Off

5. Runaway

Top 3 Movies:

1. Furious 7

2. Face/Off

3. Deep Blue Sea

I've only actually seen 4 of the movies for 2015, but I don't feel like Maximum Overdrive belongs on a list of mine. I noticed that 4/5 of my faves are live episodes but nothing will make me laugh harder than June thinking her TV/phone was going to attack her.

• Like 5

Perfect is actually listed on the Official Razzie Movie Guide as among their 100 Funniest Bad Movies, and is the third John Travolta film on the book, the others being Battlefield Earth and Staying Alive. It has a bunch of unintentionally humorous moments, the one part that had me laughing the most was Travolta trying to apologize to Jamie Lee Curtis by chasing her around at her aerobics class all while a Boy George impersonator was entertaining the crowd.

That's why I got into public relations, to make a living wage. And I love it, I really do.

Excuse me, gotta take a piss.

• Like 1

My Top 5 Episodes for the Year

1) Masters of the Universe

2) Deep Blue Sea

3) Face Off

4) Jupiter Ascending

5) Furious 7

Top Movies Covered This Year

1) Con Air

2) Face Off

3) Tango and Cash

4) Furious 7

5) Zardoz

I unironically love these movies. There is something to be said about these kind of action movies that lets you turn your brain off and just ignore the world around you and all the bullshit in your life for an hour and a half as it does it's best to entertain and rock your socks off. Which is way I now feel the need to go back and watch the rest of the Furious franchise. Zardoz I can't fully explain why. There is something about it that begs you to talk to whomever you watched it with. I have seen it maybe 6 times and every time has lead an hour of talking or sometimes a whole evening. I think it's a fun movie to talk about and therefore a bit more fun to watch.

I think the show has been great this year. They seem to have a good streak of going with big well known things and some lesser known things. The slash film articles have been great as well. Good guests, but while I enjoy hearing new people to the show (Tatiana Maslany being a great example) I do wish some of the older guests like Pete Holmes would pop up again. Overall just another strong year.

• Like 4

I couldn't make it all the way through Perfect, it's too fucking boring and so long as well. I'll listen to the podcast of course but I'd advise people here to watch the trailer and that other video of crotch thrusting that someone posted on the first page

• Like 2

I couldn't make it all the way through Perfect, it's too fucking boring and so long as well. I'll listen to the podcast of course but I'd advise people here to watch the trailer and that other video of crotch thrusting that someone posted on the first page

I have to agree with you, babyoilbandit. I finished watching it this morning and it never really reaches the heights of "so bad/crazy it's good." I'm not sure what this says about me, and I'm not saying I liked it, but I "got it." It's a "fine" movie, which is almost the worst thing it can be. It's a solid D+. It's a pretty run-of-the-mill story, just poorly directed. Like

when John Travolta is on the stand at the end, are we really supposed to believe he's not going to do the right thing? Was that supposed to be shocking?

I do have to agree with Paul, though. The end credits are a thing of beauty. I'm not sure, since the tone of it is so inconsistent with the rest of the movie, if the insanity of this moment can be felt without watching the whole movie, but it was the only part of the movie I was like, "this is crazy." I only wish the rest of the movie had more moments like it...

The quality of this video is pretty bad, but if anyone doesn't want to watch the movie, but wants to see what Paul is talking about, here you go!

ETA: Berlin's "Masquerade" is both the most 80's thing I've ever heard and the most awesome!

• Like 2

I just clicked the bottom spoiler tag and saw the video thumbnail.

And now all I can hear is, "LARRRAAAAAAIIINNNNNNE NEWMAN!"

• Like 3

I just clicked the bottom spoiler tag and saw the video thumbnail.

And now all I can hear is, "LARRRAAAAAAIIINNNNNNE NEWMAN!"

This happened to me Every. Time. She. Was. On. Screen!

Thanks, Mr. Aukerman.

• Like 3

I'm surprised no one else other than me and Cameron H are willing to talk about "Perfect". I'm guessing everyone is considering this to be the most forgettable of the bad John Travolta movie canon that was done on the show. While Cameron thought it was boring, the Razzie Movie Guide begs to differ, as it does have unintentionally humorous moments I feel. But who knows, once everyone watches it before the episode goes up, replies will be off the roof!

• Like 3

i just watched the documentary paul had for his scheer pick, Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films. its amazing. i smiled the whole way thru it. i think if they ever have another Howdies then Canon need to get a special achievement award or something. id actually really enjoy hearing the gang talk about this documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5nKFvQ8gIM

just watched too. really great. i hope we get a HDTGM double feature w the competing Lambada movies.

• Like 3

My Top 5 Episodes:

1. Furious 7

2. The Island of Dr. Moreau

3. Jupiter Ascending

4. Con Air

5. Deep Blue Sea

My Top 5 Movies:

1. Furious 7

2. Tango and Cash

3. Hercules in New York (but only because of that Bear fight)

4. Con Air

5. Face Off

Some solid eps this year. And I really appreciate how they've been mixing it up lately with some crazy old school movies. Hercules in New York was intense, especially watching the version where they dubbed Arnie.

Definitely the highlight has to be the Furious franchise stuff they're doing. So much fun because they are all 100% committed to it. Except June, who may or may not have actually watched any of these movies. Seriously can't wait for Fastest and Furiousest 8.

• Like 3

No matter what you think of him clearly no one enjoys their work more than John Travolta.

37RPtxV.jpg

I mean look at how happy that guy is!

• Like 4

Strongly Agree. Had to watch this over half a dozen sittings. Just got bored. I kept looking for all this hidden deeper meaning to it all, like thinking Jamie Lee Curtis was Mackenzies sister or something, but nope..... it's just a one-dimensional snooze fest.

Also wouldn't recommend the 5 min workout scene where Travolta and Curtis are just thrusting their hips at each other. Jesus, we get it! They've been playing "Special Places"

vlcsnap-2010-04-06-21h12m23s2171.png

• Like 3

No matter what you think of him clearly no one enjoys their work more than John Travolta.

37RPtxV.jpg

I mean look at how happy that guy is!

I think I've got PTSD from those shorts!

• Like 5

i just watched the documentary paul had for his scheer pick, Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films. its amazing. i smiled the whole way thru it. i think if they ever have another Howdies then Canon need to get a special achievement award or something. id actually really enjoy hearing the gang talk about this documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5nKFvQ8gIM

just watched too. really great. i hope we get a HDTGM double feature w the competing Lambada movies.

Great doco. Can we just do their entire back catalogue? Canon belong in the HDTGM hall of fame alongside Cage & Travolta.

• Like 2

I think I've got PTSD from those shorts!

i've heard of a superhotpickle but this is ridiculous!

2HvTMj7.jpg

• Like 3