🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jarrycanada

Urban Cowboy (1980)

I have a funny story about this one, I posted on it way back when, but it seems appropriate to bring it up again.

Back when the Staying Alive and Rhinestone episodes were announced, I was searching Amazon and Netflix to see if Rhinestone was on. I knew Travolta was in one of those movies, so somehow my mind translated that as: Rhinestone > "Rhinestone Cowboy" > Urban Cowboy. So I started watching it and was just thinking this is "crazy and fucking bleak." Anyway, I got about halfway through it, but had to do something else--with the intention of picking it back up the next day. In the interim, I realized I had been watching the wrong movie! I was so pissed at myself!

However, from what I remember of it (this would be about a year ago now so it's a bit hazy), it was pretty nuts, and really dark. Travolta's character is thoroughly detestable.

Bottom line: I 100% support this recommendation, if only to justify my watching it when I didn't need to.

• Like 2

This film actually got good reviews, plus it launched Debra Winger to stardom, she got a Golden Globe nomination for her efforts! And is directed by the guy who would later do "Perfect", also with John Travolta.

• Like 1

We watched this tonight, it's like the road house meets over-the-top, but starring John Travolta.

Rather than arm wrestling, it's mechanical bull riding. But at a crazy redneck bar and Boy, do they take it way too seriously.

Not kidding. And I have to warn you it is a long ass movie to watch.

Sign in to follow this