🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Grand Moff Talkin'

Jem and The Holograms (2015)

I was going to recommend this then saw that some amazing genius already had. It is one of the most suitable movies for the podcast to come out in the last few years, it'd be good to hear them do it while the tragedy is still fresh.

I have to confess that I have a couple of the songs on my iPod DON'T YOU DARE JUDGE ME!

I definitely think this would be a good one for the show to tackle, not because it's such a bomb, but more that... it's not QUITE that bad? This movie could seriously split the panel a bit. It's based on an 80s cartoon that people vaguely remember and might feel a little nostalgia for simply because they remember it was there in their youth, even if they didn't really watch it. But Let's not do a plot anywhere close to the original series, we'll do our own things, with a few references. But one of those references is a super-advanced robot that is made part of the plot and no one really treats it as anything more than a slightly advanced iPhone? And tie the plot with a lot of the usual tropes and of course an evil business executive.

However, it wasn't a cheap made movie... there was care in the visuals and the direction. The performances are fine.. there isn't a completely disengaged actor screwing up the scenes, there is some talent and effort there, too. And the few songs they did weren't bad... not my personal taste, but well performed and produced... they could have been covered by Katy Perry and actually been a hit or two.

Plus, a chance to revisit Ryan "The Boy Next Door" Guzman, unless you want to add in one of the last couple "Step Up Movies" (the 4th one which was directed by the same director as this)

• Like 2

My friend turned me on to this podcast because of our mutual love for HORRIBLE movies. We were brought together by the movie, Simply Irresistible. True garbage but somehow I saw it in theaters.

Id like to make a movie suggestion. Please Please Please do Jem and the Holograms. Its so bad but i found myself enjoying the music video scenes.

• Like 1

I cannot believe that HDTGM has not yet done this. June MUST have seen this show. The movie is an absolute abomination for anyone who loved this show as a kid (me included). The only reason I can think for them not to do it is that Nostalgic Critic already tore it apart. I challenge the HDTGM crew to one up Nostalgic Critic and take this movie down! It's worth it just to hear Jason describe the the mid-credits sequence...bananas, mental, or pure genius?

I remember seeing the poster and to me it looked like when College Humor would make a fake trailer of a dark re-imagining of a kids cartoon, yet the trailer is not even in the same ballpark in tone as what the poster seemed to be giving off.

It's no Gobstopper, that's for sure.

I cannot believe that HDTGM has not yet done this. June MUST have seen this show.

She might not remember if she had! Haha. I would only enjoy an episode on this movie if someone on the panel WAS familiar with the cartoon. If it were a "Mortal Kombat" situation where none of them knew the source material that would hurt my feelings.

However, it wasn't a cheap made movie...

Eh. I agree that it's no "Gooby" but when it was being made I recall people pointing out that "Jem" was the #1 most-watched cartoon of it's day, ahead of its fellow Hasbro creation, Transformers. And that property has had four movies that were all of a much bigger budget. Some of that has to do with the fact that cars are still around whereas music videos are not. But there is also no small amount of sexism and Hollywood dismissal of "girl" stories.

• Like 2

The real crime is how insanely boring it was.

Right? Jem never saved the President from an exploding bomb while driving a racecar in China. It was not at all true to canon.

• Like 1

Right? Jem never saved the President from an exploding bomb while driving a racecar in China. It was not at all true to canon.

Does she save the president in a racecar in the show? Maybe I'll check that out. I'm not sure I've ever seen an episode of the cartoon.

I actually didn't hate this film, it just went on WAY too long for what it was.

It isn't on the level of a From Justin to Kelly - type movie.

Does she save the president in a racecar in the show? Maybe I'll check that out. I'm not sure I've ever seen an episode of the cartoon.

Well she saves the President in one episode and wins an Indy-500 like race in another. It wasn't BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, tht would be ridiculous. ;)