Sign in to follow this  
dandydaly

@midnight Discussion Thread

I'm surprised there isn't a thread like this. There's definitely a lot of overlap between Earwolf fans and this show considering PFT/Hot Saucerman/Brian Posehn are on all the time, plus other "alt comedy" favorites like Doug Benson and Ron Funches.

So I guess it will start with 10/14/15's episode.

Chris definitely toned down the cringe from the episode before this. In fact that Billy Ocean shtick absolutely killed me.

I have never seen Brent Weinbach before and I thought he was pretty unfunny. It was disappointing he won over Riki Lindhome, who was killing it that episode.

• Like 4

I have never seen Brent Weinbach before and I thought he was pretty unfunny. It was disappointing he won over Riki Lindhome, who was killing it that episode.

I know! I'm semi-familiar with him and think he's fine (in a low-key way), but this was one of the least-funny winning performances I can remember on the show. It felt like he had a half-dozen answers where the crowd barely laughed, but there wasn't quite enough silence/groans for Chris to not give him points.

I know! I'm semi-familiar with him and think he's fine (in a low-key way), but this was one of the least-funny winning performances I can remember on the show. It felt like he had a half-dozen answers where the crowd barely laughed, but there wasn't quite enough silence/groans for Chris to not give him points.

I agree. It seemed like just courtesy that he got so far.

Anyways, 10/16/15

I don't know why but I think Chris is starting to talk a little too much. I mean he is just the host, and he has a podcast and stand-up where he can talk. We're here, primarily, to hear what the comedian guests say.

Anyways Big Jay and Dan feel like a shock-jock Opie and Anthony ripoff. A few great laughs but not so much. Although maybe that's my huge bias for/crush on Morgan Murphy.

as a huge Brent Weinbach fan, I have to come to his defense a little bit... the whole pre-written, joke-a-minute game show format doesn't necessarily fit with his style, so it wasn't a great representation of his comedic ability. in my opinion, he's one of the most effortlessly funny people on earth... of course, that might be due to the fact that his particular sense of humor and neuroses seem to be nearly identical to mine, so I tend to find him more relatable than most other comedians. he's definitely not for everyone, but you should listen to an episode of the Poundcast (where he's a frequent co-host) before you judge him on that appearance alone.

in other words... my acorn = wet.

as a huge Brent Weinbach fan, I have to come to his defense a little bit... the whole pre-written, joke-a-minute game show format doesn't necessarily fit with his style, so it wasn't a great representation of his comedic ability. in my opinion, he's one of the most effortlessly funny people on earth... of course, that might be due to the fact that his particular sense of humor and neuroses seem to be nearly identical to mine, so I tend to find him more relatable than most other comedians. he's definitely not for everyone, but you should listen to an episode of the Poundcast (where he's a frequent co-host) before you judge him on that appearance alone.

in other words... my acorn = wet.

I totally understand. I felt the same way the last time Hannibal Buress was on and he looked like he just did not want to be there (which was really obvious considering Pete Holmes was also there laughing up a riot.) He really doesn't fit either considering slow delivery is his entire get up. I have a lot of podcasts to catch up on this weekend but I'll check out an episode of Brent's if I have time.

I don't know why but I think Chris is starting to talk a little too much. I mean he is just the host, and he has a podcast and stand-up where he can talk. We're here, primarily, to hear what the comedian guests say.

I don't think this is a new thing. A while ago (six months, or maybe even last fall), the name of the show seemed to officially change to "@midnight with Chris Hardwick" and he was sort of subtly doing a short monologue at the top of every show. They've sinced backed off of that (they're even shorter, not on every show, and/or incorporate the guests more), and I think it works well.

I don't think this is a new thing. A while ago (six months, or maybe even last fall), the name of the show seemed to officially change to "@midnight with Chris Hardwick" and he was sort of subtly doing a short monologue at the top of every show. They've sinced backed off of that (they're even shorter, not on every show, and/or incorporate the guests more), and I think it works well.

Yeah I know it's not new. It just never really bothered me until the last couple weeks, probably because his nerdiness was getting a bit off the rails recently. It works a lot better when the comedians can openly riff with the flow of what Chris is talking about and stop him from getting ahead of himself.

MDjo4um.png

This was pretty recent and it's one of my favorite lines from @Midnight. I also loved their "these... and what about these" moment when they presented their boobs for no reason. They were great for the whole episode.

ydHWfbz.png

Taping last night's show with our dear Scotty Auks, Kevin Smith somehow managed to wear one hockey jersey on the show and another hockey jersey whenever they took this photo that @midnight posted on Twitter.

midnight_zpsx0v7skiw.png

Taping last night's show with our dear Scotty Auks, Kevin Smith somehow managed to wear one hockey jersey on the show and another hockey jersey whenever they took this photo that @midnight posted on Twitter.

I'm surprised he actually owns more than that one orange one I never see him out of.

Anyways, 10/19/15!

I was surprised how well these three gelled together. I know they're all comic book-related, but their humor is all so different.

This episode could be a little alienating to those that don't watch The Walking Dead, but the Kirkman-is-Chris's-Boss jokes were pretty good.

Usually I don't think Kevin Smith on these types of shows is his forte, but he was mostly pretty good. Rob is now my 2nd favorite @midnight contestant with the last name Kirkman (not a whole lot of competition though.) Hot Saucerman killed it because of course he did.

This episode could be a little alienating to those that don't watch The Walking Dead, but the Kirkman-is-Chris's-Boss jokes were pretty good.

Maybe it's just me, but for me the Kirkman-is-Chris's-Boss jokes got old real fast. Also Kirkman could decrease the Walking Dead is the greatest thing shtick, we get it, you created the show. Otherwise Scott had several good jokes and Kevin Smith was funny too.

I hardly ever watch Atmidnight, only when there is an interesting guest for me on (Scotty Auks, PFT or such), but lately Hardwick's high energy nerd shtick has gotten out of hands. I feel like the games and guests get less and less screen time from Chris's oh-so-amusing tangents.

10/20/15

Wow, I really wonder how much ended up getting cut from the monologue if it went on for that long. It could have easily falled flat but Chris's nerd energy actually went to his advantage.

Probably the most uncomfortable Hashtag Wars in the show's history.

Fucking Doug Benson. I would pay thousands of dollars to see how his brain works. Or just get some of his weed stash.

My dad pointed out the female comic is almost always eliminated. It's probably just coincidence but man is it a weird one.

I thought the BTTF conspiracy thing was really funny. Someone obviously put a ton of work into it, and like you said, Chris went so over-the-top in selling it that it worked perfectly.

10/21/15

Much less Chris than usual this episode. Probably on purpose because of yesterday's super-long monologue, but it was a pretty run-of-the-mill episode without a whole lot of memorable moments.

I'm glad Comedy Central is doing some cool stuff on Snapchat now with Michelle Wolf (and that Yassir Lester show that's been on for a while) instead of retreading the same awful Moonbeam City/Tosh.0 clips or whatever.

Grace Helbig is such a sweetie. Does anyone know if her talk show is renewed or not? I love whenever she's on @midnight.

10/22/15

I love the Halloween theme, even with the product placement and all.

Steve Agee has inspired me to go as Frankenseinfeld at my friends' Halloween party. I was also very surprised he managed to beat Funches.

10/20/15

Wow, I really wonder how much ended up getting cut from the monologue if it went on for that long. It could have easily falled flat but Chris's nerd energy actually went to his advantage.

Probably the most uncomfortable Hashtag Wars in the show's history.

Fucking Doug Benson. I would pay thousands of dollars to see how his brain works. Or just get some of his weed stash.

My dad pointed out the female comic is almost always eliminated. It's probably just coincidence but man is it a weird one.

Sometimes Chris will take them to FTW anyways probably to avoid being called a misogynist. Although, I haven't seen him do it recently probably to avoid being called a misandrist.

Also on 10-21-2015 Nikki Limo was amazing and really resonated with me, but the audience didn't seem to agree. Bunch of dumb dumbs!

• Like 1

Sometimes Chris will take them to FTW anyways probably to avoid being called a misogynist. Although, I haven't seen him do it recently probably to avoid being called a misandrist.

He did it last night!

He did it last night!

Ha! I just watched it after posting that. I feel like a shitty prophet.

11/2/15

Finally gone from the week-long break!

I only know Eliza Coupe from Scrubs so I did not expect her to get that tan since then.

Is that Lele Pons person really a famous Vine star? Goes to show the average sense of comedy in that crowd.

I too want the Tim Allen Grunt to return. Since we're going through this faux-90s boom recently, why the hell not?

Ha! I just watched it after posting that. I feel like a shitty prophet.

It didn't bother me so much when there was only a 50 point gap between 3rd and 2nd. It bothers me a lot more when there are differences of up to 1000 points and everyone still goes through. If Chris doesn't only want female comics eliminated, maybe there could be more episodes that have multiple female comedians? Not like there's a shortage or anything.

I only know Eliza Coupe from Scrubs so I did not expect her to get that tan since then.

You really should check out Happy Endings. One of the funniest shows of the last decade.

You really should check out Happy Endings. One of the funniest shows of the last decade.

I have such a swamped backlog right now but I'll consider it. I still need to catch up on Archer, Blackish, Louie, Girls and Last Man on Earth, plus I've gotten into Harmontown recently. I don't know why I do this to myself.

11/3/15

Greg Proops is the man. I have no interest in his podcast but he's one of my favorite guests on this show.

The other two guests were pretty middle-of-the-road. Especially considering that one of them's highest credits include Family Guy and MadTV, I can't be that surprised.

11/4/15

Honestly surprised neither Chris nor Dan ever said "well one of us has to change."

That Jeff Dunham joke IMMEDIATELY made me think of this week's Hollywood Handbook.

Chris needs to describe more sound effects. The wet porkchop hitting a ceiling made me choke on my iced coffee.