🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 121 - Perfect: LIVE!

LIVE from Largo in Los Angeles, Seth Morris returns to join Paul, Jason, and June to discuss John Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis in 1985's Perfect. They’ll talk about Travolta starting as an obituary writer, seeing a complete aerobics class, and Jamie Lee Curtis having a tender moment with a pool. Plus, everyone discusses the use of the phrase "sphincter muscle" and Jamie Lee's first interaction with a computer during Audience Q&A!

Check out Blake Harris' Oral History of Perfect over at www.slashfilm.com!

People of the internet: The League is back on FXX 10pm on Wednesdays! A while ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA and now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Sleeping With Other People in a theater near you!

The Hotwives (Casey Wilson, Danielle Schneider, Andrea Savage, Dannah Phirman, Tymberlee Hill, Angela Kinsey, Erinn Hayes) are back and this time they are in Vegas baby! Watch The Hotwives of Las Vegas on Hulu today!

Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, Paul in Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp on Netflix, all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, ScheeRL on YouTube here:

, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

A++++ episode. One omission though. They went deep into the writeup of Linda's gangbang. But there was no talk of the information gathering. To write that story Travolta was either standing outside the van watching with his notebook, or Linda came back in and gave him a detailed description. In either case W...T...F?

I thought Carly Simon carrying that bloody mary was a real Chekov's Gun situation. I am glad they paid that off so quickly.

There was one line that almost made watching the longest movie of all time worth it. "I don't forgive anyone for shitting on California!" That was delivered by Blonde Moustache when the Sports Connection Gang was throwing Travolta out of the charity aerobics event.

• Like 3

Hey LA Folks!

The whole chanting of "ZZZUUUUUKKKKEEESSS" and "JJJJUUUUNNNNNEEEEE" is a NY thing! Come up with something else!

You get to see the ringmaster Paul, lovely June, and insane Jason so many times throughout the year. Just leave us New Yorkers with something special dammit!

If you don't, well...

original.gif?v=1

;) ;)

:wub: :wub:

winkingdrunkuncle.gif

Once again, great episode! I'm impressed that the gang was able to get so much material from such a relatively boring movie and didn't just fixate exclusively on Travolta's thrusting. Way to keep it classy, guys!

One thing that bothered me, as a person who dabbles in writing, is Travolta's almost complete lack of concern over Curtis deleting his story. Sure, the lines he says in the movie indicate that this bothers him, but Travolta's reading of those lines seem to indicate, at the very most, mild annoyance. This story, which is supposed to be the cover story of the next issue of Rolling Stone and has a deadline of that morning, has just been erased, and I'm supposed to believe he isn't going to straight loose his shit? This is his goddamn livelihood we're talking about! Hell, an inconsequential forum post commenting on a shitty movie only takes a couple of minutes to write and I cuss a blue streak if it gets lost due to a poor Internet connection or something.

Considering the fact that the next shot in the movie isn't of Travolta tearing off his shirt, falling to his knees, and screaming "Noooooooooo!" to the heavens, I can only conclude that Travolta's interpretation of how a person would react in a similar situation is a testament to the fine work they do at the Scientology Celebrity Center. If nothing else, it has convinced me that I might be long overdue for an auditing.

• Like 8

How did y'all leave out how many dangling threads there were? The stripper and her obviously abusive husband who doesn't like her talking to people, though I guess it pays off with that nut punch later. It seems like this whole movie was filler to plump (pcpd) the John and Jaime fuck plot. Also how about the insane cuts during conversations, like when John is trying to convince Jaime for an interview and he leaves her entering her class, cut to them leaving the gym, in the parking lot, but their conversation pucks up right where they left it, even though it's been at least an hour since they last talked, and in that moment they must have been walking near each other for a little, why did they wait so long to talk to each other. This movie was just insane. Also the shot with linda waving to John from inside the gym and he just shoots her the meanest look, like don't ever wave at me bitch!

You guys with about 30 minutes left this episode is already...PERFECT.

Thank you Paul for pointing out the weird ADR shots, that shit drove me CRAZY! I thought the first couple were artistic choices and then realized "Oh god, it's all ADR cover up..."

• Like 2

Great episode!

Who heard June say that he didn't remember "In The Name of The King"??? lol

I Love June!

Also, I now wonder if Eric Prydz's "Call on Me" Music Video has something to do reference wise with "Perfect"?

NSFW warning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSYo_pC-QA

• Like 3

Unrelated to the episode, but I just had to ask after seeing the latest episode of The League. What the hell is Paul wearing on his feet? Are those ballet slippers? Even from Andre, I'd expect more.

post-113318-0-10959200-1445014247_thumb.png

post-113318-0-02144100-1445014404_thumb.png

I did not watch this movie, so I am completely surprised to find out that there is espionage and a gang bangs in this film.

• Like 6

As I suspected in the mini-sode thread, it looks like the gang did such a good job covering this movie that there's not much more to add. It's like a ghost town in here.

giphy.gif

I was going to try to write a post about how Frankie's "amazing" pictures of Mick Jagger, the ones that really "capture his essence," just seem to be off him scratching at his head lice in front of a generic Wal-Mart Photo Center backdrop, but fuck it. I got nothing.

• Like 5

I think some episodes are enhanced by watching the movie beforehand, but this does not sound like it would be the case. However, it does sound like listening to the episode would enhance watching the movie though (which I think is true for all of the movies they have done)

• Like 4

As I suspected in the mini-sode thread, it looks like the gang did such a good job covering this movie that there's not much more to add. It's like a ghost town in here.

giphy.gif

I was going to try to write a post about how Frankie's amazing pictures of Mick Jagger, the ones that really "capture his essence," just seem to be off him scratching at head lice in front of a generic Wal-Mart Photo Center backdrop, but fuck it. I got nothing.

Haha. I'm glad I didn't watch the movie this time, then. I feel like I got everything out of it from the minisode thread and from listening to the ep.

I do want to point out what a fucking star June has been recently. I know we all love her, but she's had some of my favorite bits from the past few episodes (like her thing from MotU about how garbage peasants need to get out of the sky). I was listening to some of the summer where June was missing, and it just really drove home how wonderful she is.

Theory for you guys: I've always though that June says crazy shit and Jason makes fun of her for it. But I had a thought this week. When they're talking about the gangbang girl at the party or whatever, June says gangbang girl (from context in the episode, I'm assuming this was "Lorraaaaaiiiine Neeewwwwwwmmmmaaaannnnnnn"?) is "giving him the facts" and doing the reporting. I'm now thinking she just comes up with crazy shit to say just to wind Jason up and not the other way around. Which is amazing. What do y'all think?

• Like 5

I think some episodes are enhanced by watching the movie beforehand, but this does not sound like it would be the case. However, it does sound like listening to the episode would enhance watching the movie though (which I think is true for all of the movies they have done)

Yes, watching the movie after the episode is always good, but in this case, I would say just barely. I mean, while there are crazy elements of the movie, it's not really that crazy. It's just poorly made. As I wrote in the mini-sode thread, this movie feels like you are stuck in the B plot of a much more interesting movie.

If anything, this movie actually made me feel bad for Travolta (something I didn't think possible) when I discovered Paul Barresi, the guy on the far right, is the guy who gave an interview to the National Enquirer and basically started the "Travolta is gay" rumors in the early 90's. I researched it further and found this Huffington Post article. That article made me feel horrible for Travolta. To be clear, I don't care if Travolta is gay or not. If he isn't gay, who cares if people think he is? In my opinion, anybody who would think less of another person based on their sexual preference is a person whose opinion means less than nothing--fuck that person. But if it is true, and he is gay, goddamn that's just fucking tragic and breaks my heart that he can't just be himself.

PE113_150WM.jpg

• Like 3

Around the 49:32 mark, Paul mentions Chelsea Field who has "...been in the last three movies we have done," which are Masters of the Universe, Perfect and Death Spa. Does this mean the next episode will be Death Spa? And if so, are we going to get a HDTGM/Red Letter Media crossover episode?

http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-high-voltage-death-spa-and-space-mutiny/

• Like 1

Around the 49:32 mark, Paul mentions Chelsea Field who has "...been in the last three movies we have done," which are Masters of the Universe, Perfect and Death Spa. Does this mean the next episode will be Death Spa? And if so, are we going to get a HDTGM/Red Letter Media crossover episode?

http://redlettermedi...d-space-mutiny/

They recorded Death Spa at the other show on the same night as Perfect, so we'll likely see it next.

• Like 2

I will say that while I don't care of Travolta is gay or not, it is interesting that Scientology has historically had a fundamentalist Christianity level hostility towards homosexuality, so for him personally that certainly makes things more complicated.

• Like 1

Yeah, they really did cover this movie well. Not much to add.

Omissions:

A few thing did occur to me while struggling through this movie, I don't think Travolta can read aloud. He really stumbles while reading his note in the lunch scene with Jamie Lee Curtis. It's possible he's just having trouble reading his serial killer chicken scratch handwriting.

CRc3i_YUAAEWE5M.png

Another point, Travolta seems to be having trouble walking in this movie. He's bumping into walls and falls down the stairs toward the end of the film.

Finally, much like the phone call mashup, everyone in this movie is just phoning it in. I think the song I Sweat (Going Through The Motions) by Nona Hendryx used in the first aerobics scene and Dan Hartman's - Talking to the Wall used in the scene where Jamie Lee Curtis is reading Travolta's article sum up this entire film. Everyone in this thing seems to be going through the motions and any character interaction is like talking to a wall.

• Like 2