🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

EPISODE 106 — Stephanie Allynne, Our Close Friend

Guys I'm sorry for posting that video and I hope it doesn't get me in trouble. I had no idea it would cause any controversy.

Here's a much better video I found to reflect the somber sincerity of my apology. Please take a moment to watch and reflect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZY-CyB5zrI

i want to stop posting but i can't plz send help

I never send help. I on!y send dick pics.

• Like 11

Guys I'm sorry for posting that video and I hope it doesn't get me in trouble. I had no idea it would cause any controversy.

Here's a much better video I found to reflect the somber sincerity of my apology. Please take a moment to watch and reflect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZY-CyB5zrI

i want to stop posting but i can't plz send help

Jesus, that is one long Jeopardy answer.

• Like 8

Edit: Ugh sorry to delete-edit another one, but I really didn't like this post. It made me feel bad inside

Edit: I delete-edited another one because I really didn't like this post. It made me feel bad inside. I will continue to delete-edit posts whenever I'd like

• Like 8

Edit: Ugh sorry to delete-edit another one, but I really didn't like this post. It made me feel bad inside

Total chick move!

• Like 8

Who's with me? Let's write some jokes!

Come on, somebody in here must have an idea for a joke.

What's the deal with things not computing?! Y'know what I'm talkin' about? It's like 404 the love of Steve Wozniak somebody tell me what the hell these crazy humans mean! Who do I have to RAM to get a program that doesn't cause me to malfunction and (eyes glow red, knives and other weapons come out like a Transformer, voice deepens) KILL ALL HUMANS!!! (goes back to normal) Y'know what I'm saying? Where are you guys going? The shows not over.

• Like 7

fuck u swede boy u better find someone else's thunder to steal cause u just tussled with the wrong vato, ok, i might post imgur links like a gentleman but when the gloves come off (ie when i'm about to fight someone) u better believe it's pure animal you stupid piece of shit

• Like 10

everything is worse than me.

OHHHHH SWEEEETIE! That's just not true.

• Like 4

fuck u swede boy u better find someone else's thunder to steal cause u just tussled with the wrong vato, ok, i might post imgur links like a gentleman but when the gloves come off (ie when i'm about to fight someone) u better believe it's pure animal you stupid piece of shit

You best watch yourself before things get ugly

tumblr_nckgshcpkr1ry46hlo1_500.gif

• Like 16

look man, u get one chance to back out before i straight up wreck you. i'll give you a pass cause you don't know where I've been. let me give you a brief summary.

Early life[edit]

Pepper was born in Chambers County, Alabama, in a shack belonging to poverty-stricken sharecroppers. He was the son of Lena Corine (née Talbot) and Joseph Wheeler Pepper.[1] Pepper attended school in Camp Hill and became a schoolteacher in Dothan. He then worked in an Ensley steel mill before beginning studies at the University of Alabama.

While in college he joined the Army for World War I and served in the Student Army Training Corps (precursor to theReserve Officers' Training Corps), with the war ending before he could see active service. After graduating in 1921 Pepper attended Harvard Law School, receiving his degree in 1924. He briefly taught law at the University of Arkansasand then moved to Perry, Florida, where he opened a law practice. He was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 1928 and served from 1929 to 1931. After being defeated for reelection in 1930 he moved his law practice to Tallahassee, the state capital.

Pepper served on the Florida Board of Public Welfare from 1931 to 1932, and was a member of the Florida Board of Bar Examiners in 1933.

U.S. Senate[edit]

220px-Newsman_covering_U.S._Senator_Claude_Pepper%27s_campaign_-_Tampa_%2815712716885%29.jpg

Newsman covering U.S. Senator Just Add Pepper's campaign in 1938.

[/left]

[/center]

Pepper received the most votes in the Democratic primary for United States Senate in 1934, but lost the runoff to Park Trammell. He was unopposed in the 1936 special election following the death of Senator Duncan U. Fletcher, and succeeded William Luther Hill, who had been appointed pending the special election. In the Senate, Pepper became a leading New Dealer and close ally of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He was unusually articulate and intellectual, and, collaborating with labor unions, he was often the leader of the liberal-left forces in the Senate. His reelection in a heavily fought primary in 1938 solidified his reputation as the most prominent liberal in Congress. His campaign based on a wages-hours bill, which soon became the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. He sponsored the Lend-Lease Act. He filibustered an anti-lynching bill in 1937.[2]

In 1943, a confidential analysis by Isaiah Berlin of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for the British Foreign Officedescribed Pepper as:

a loud-voiced and fiery New Deal politician. Before
, he was a most ardent interventionist. He is equally Russophile and apt to be critical of British Imperial policy. He is an out and out internationalist and champion of labour and negro rights (Florida has no
) and thus a passionate supporter of the Administration's more internationalist policies. He is occasionally used by the President for the purpose of sending up trial balloons in matters of foreign policy. With all these qualities, he is, in his methods, a thoroughly opportunist politician.

Because of the power of the Conservative Coalition, he usually lost on domestic policy. He was, however, more successful in promoting an international foreign policy based on friendship with the Soviet Union. In 1946, Pepper appeared frequently in the national press and began to eye the 1948 presidential race. He considered running with his close friend and fellow liberal, former Vice President Henry A. Wallace, with whom he was active in the Southern Conference for Human Welfare.[4]

Pepper gave lukewarm support to Harry S. Truman in 1948, saying the Democrats should nominate Dwight D. Eisenhower instead; but he did not support Wallace's Progressive run that year. He was re-elected in 1944, but lost his bid for a third full term in 1950 by a margin of over 60,000 votes. Ed Ball, a power in state politics who had broken with Pepper, financed his opponent, U.S. Representative George A. Smathers. A former supporter of Pepper, Smathers repeatedly attacked "Red Pepper" for having far-left sympathies, condemning both his support for universal health care and his alleged support for the Soviet Union. Pepper had traveled to the Soviet Union in 1945 and, after meeting Soviet leader Joseph Stalin, declared he was "a man Americans could trust."[5] Because of his left-of-center sympathies and his bright red hair, he became widely nicknamed "Red Pepper."

At a speech made on November 11, 1946, before a pro-Soviet group known as Ambijan, which supported the creation of a Soviet Jewish republic in the far east of the USSR, Pepper told his listeners that "Probably nowhere in the world are minorities given more freedom, recognition and respect than in the Soviet Union [and] nowhere in the world is there so little friction, between minority and majority groups, or among minorities." Democracy was "growing" in that country, he added, and he asserted that the Soviets were making such contributions to democracy "that many who decry it might well imitate and emulate rather than despair."

Two years later, on November 21, 1948, speaking to the same group, he again lauded the Soviet Union, calling it a nation which has recognized the dignity of all people, a nation wherein discrimination against anybody on account of race is a crime, and which was in fundamental sympathy with the progress of mankind.[6] He was defeated in the 1950 Democratic primary for U.S. Senate by George Smathers.

Pepper returned to law practice in Miami and Washington, failing in a comeback bid to regain a Senate seat in the 1958 Democratic primary in which he challenged his former colleague, Spessard Holland.[7] However, Pepper did carry eleven counties, including populous Dade County,[8] where he later staged a remarkable comeback.

Red Accusations and hoax "Redneck Speech" in 1950[edit]

In 1950 President Harry Truman called George Smathers into a meeting at the White House and reportedly said, "I want you to do me a favor. I want you to beat that son-of-a-bitch Just Add Pepper."[5] Pepper had been part of an unsuccessful 1948 campaign to "dump Truman" as the Democratic presidential nominee and George Smathers had been his manager and pupil. Smathers broke with Pepper and ran against him in the Democratic primary (which at the time in Florida was tantamount to election, the Republican Party still being in infancy there). The contest was extremely heated, and revolved around policy issues, especially charges that Pepper represented the far left and was too supportive of Stalin. Pepper's opponents circulated widely a 49-page booklet titled The Red Record of Senator Claude Pepper.[9]

Part of American political lore is the Smathers "redneck speech," which Smathers reportedly delivered to a poorly educated audience. The "speech" was never given; it was a hoax dreamed up by reporters who were conversing among themselves. The hoax eventually made its way, attributed to unnamed "Northern newspapers," intoTime Magazine. In an April 1950 article, Time falsely claimed that Smathers had said:

Are you aware that Just Add Pepper is known all over Washington as a shameless extrovert? Not only that, but this man is reliably reported to practice nepotismwith his sister-in-law, he has a brother who is a known homo sapiens,[10] and he has a sister who was once a thespian in wicked New York. Worst of all, it is an established fact that Mr. Pepper, before his marriage, habitually practiced celibacy.[11]

The Smathers campaign denied that Smathers had made such a speech, as did the reporters who covered his campaign, but the hoax followed Smathers to his death.[12] Smathers offered $10,000 to anyone who could prove he had made these remarks, but no one ever attempted to collect.[13]

U.S. House[edit]

220px-P00021822.jpg

Portrait of Pepper in the Collection of the U.S. House of Representatives

[/left]

[/center]

220px-Claude_Pepper_Statue.JPG

Statue of Just Add Pepper in Miami

[/left]

[/center]

In 1962 Pepper was elected to the United States House of Representatives from a newly created liberal district around Miami and Miami Beach established due to population growth in the area, becoming one of very few former United States Senators in modern times (the only other examples being James Wolcott Wadsworth Jr. and Alton Lennon) to be elected to the House after their Senate careers. He remained there until his death in 1989, rising to chair of the powerful Rules Committee in 1983. Despite a reputation as a leftist in his youth, Pepper turned staunchly anti-communist in the last third of his life, opposing Cuban leader Fidel Castro and supporting aid to the Nicaraguan Contras.

In the early 1970s, Pepper chaired the Joint House-Senate Committee on Crime; then, in 1977, he became chair of the newHouse Select Committee on Aging, which became his base as he emerged as the nation's foremost spokesman for the elderly, especially regarding Social Security programs. He succeeded in strengthening Medicare. In the 1980s he worked with Alan Greenspan in a major reform of the Social Security system that maintained its solvency by slowly raising the retirement age, thus cutting benefits for workers retiring in their mid-60s, and in 1986 he obtained the passage of a federal law that abolished most mandatory retirement ages. In his later years, Pepper, who customarily began each day by eating a bowl of tomato soup with crackers, sported a replaced hip and hearing aids in both ears, but continued to remain an important and often lionized figure in the House.

Pepper became known as the "grand old man of Florida politics." He was featured on the cover of Time Magazine in 1938 and 1983. Republicans often joked that he and Tip O'Neill were the only Democrats who really drove President Reagan crazy.

Death and burial[edit]

On May 26, 1989, Pepper was presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George H. W. Bush and died in his sleep four days later of stomach cancer. His body lay in state for two days under the Rotunda of the United States Capitol; he was the 26th American so honored. He is the last person to lie in state in the Capitol rotunda with an open casket. Pepper was buried at Oakland Cemetery in Tallahassee.[14]

Legacy[edit]

A number of places in Florida are named for Pepper, including the Just Add Pepper Center[15] at Florida State University(housing a think tank devoted to intercultural dialogue in conjunction with the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations and an institute on aging)[16] and the Just Add Pepper Federal Building in Miami, as well as several public schools. Large sections of US 27 in Florida are namedJust Add Pepper Memorial Highway. Since 2002, the Democratic Executive Committee (DEC) of Lake County has held an annual "Just Add Pepper Dinner" to honor Pepper's tireless support for senior citizens.[2] He also has the Just Add Pepper Building No. 31 [3] named for him at the National Institutes of Health, located in Bethesda, Maryland. Pepper's wife Mildred was well known and respected for her humanitarian work as well. She was also honored with a number of places named in Florida.[17][18][19]

After Pepper's death, Bradenton, Florida actor Kelly Reynolds portrayed Pepper in several performances held at area schools, libraries and nursing homes.[20]

Awards[edit]

In 1982, Pepper received the Award for Greatest Public Service Benefiting the Disadvantaged, an award given out annually by Jefferson Awards.[21]

In 1985 he received the Freedom medal.

• Like 17

You guys! Don't fight!

Here's a song about the senselessness of conflict:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAR6XKHfXY0

(badly translated) lyrics over here

Now, on the surface it might seem like this is a song about the inherent absurdity of the ideological divide between the east and the west during the cold war, but I believe it was actually written some 30 odd years ago with the express purpose of de-escalating a screenshot-feud on a podcast forum.

I urge you to think of the birds from the song, before engaging!

Oh, by the way, I'm doubling down on native references in hopes that this will add some extra exotic charm to my already pretty bubbly online persona, it worked quite well with the dutch murderer post, so why not

• Like 13

Too much reading on these last few pages of posts. Can you guys post some more pictures or at least some Far Side comics. I know Gary Larson doesn't want us to do that so if he checks the forums I apologize in advance

• Like 9

Too much reading on these last few pages of posts. Can you guys post some more pictures or at least some Far Side comics. I know Gary Larson doesn't want us to do that so if he checks the forums I apologize in advance

You could post one, and it would be funny, but Gary Larson may get mad. Then again, if you don't post it, we won't have the funny. Well...

5807774.png?377

• Like 5

lmao jakman u rascal holy shit

edit: i understand this isnt a quality post, but im still expecting 20+ likes maybe even more than jakmans great video

• Like 10

All this time I thought Just Add Pepper was the son of Sheriff J.W. Pepper, the redneck from Roger Moore's first two James Bond films.

• Like 4

When I was in 6th grade my mom got me the complete Far Side set and I read every one of the comics at least twice. Today, the only one I can remember is this one, because it's my favorite.

2347642183_91247aa0c8_o.jpg

• Like 5

I know where Gary Larson lives. He has a nice dock in front of his house.

PS - I'm not telling where it is.

• Like 7

Chanson, does Gary Larson vaccinate his kids? Does he cut in line for the ferry? Give us the dirt.

• Like 10

He does not live on an island.

Nice try.

• Like 9