🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 210 — Entering From the Rear

Disappointed the guy backed off the point that just because they're adults doesn't mean they're not heavily-influenced by the money to keep playing football despite knowing the (seemingly-abstract) risks.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that segment and a few things I wanted to say. For starters, issue aside, it was awesome that the guy was such a big fan and immediately sniffed out Matt's attempt to "Crossballs" him (and the specific appropach Matt took in doing so was very funny). I agree with just about every point the guy made. In line with Blink's point here, I didn't like Matt's heroin argument, because people do heroin for their own pleasure, whereas pro football players play because someone is paying them a lot of money for the entertainment of other people. Even before medical science was scratching the surface of the dangers of football, you'd very rarely see adults playing recreational tackle football. All that said, I also thought Matt did a good job and it was nice to hear a CC that was friendly and sensible on both sides.

It's hard for the human brain to comprehend very slow-building risks. If that came easily to us, RJ Reynolds would be out of business.

But, anyway, great ep.

Edit: Oh, and I have to add that, even though I think CTE is a huge problem that could eventually dismantle the sport of football barring some major advances, I still watch the shit. I live and grew up in Wisconsin. The Packers are my Lord and Savior.

But, I played soccer growing up. I'm still waiting for Milwaukee to get an MLS team, because fuck if I'm going to root for a Chicago team in anything.

While I agree w the sentiment of hypnotizing chickens post I have to pipe in here. The problem is that every single band that was initially involved or associated w punk has tried to retroactively diminish or spin whether or not they were punk. "Oh they were never really a punk band they were actually very good players" is the kind of sentiment you hear all the time in docs about bands from that era. NYC scene was NOT punk is another one you hear all the time.

The thing that people keep forgetting is there never really was a style of music that was quintessentially punk. The idea that Buzzcocks didn't start punk as fuck because of where they went is pretty ludicrous. I'm sorry but if Breakdown and Orgasm Addict aren't punk songs to you I don't know what fucking universe you live in. Same goes for The Jam. There's no spin you could argue that would diminish In The City or All Mod Cons as punk classics. Retroactively people go "when you look at what they did it was actually very pop" or "they were actually very good players" I'm not sure what the need is this far removed to legitimize the talents of well established innovators but it happens over and over.

Punk music was different kinds of pop from earlier era's played more crudely and loudly, and generally sung by someone w/out a traditionally pretty voice. Ramones played Beach Boys/Phil Spector tunes fast. Sex Pistols basically played rockabilly riffs - fast. By 1978 punk was basically over as a cultural lynch-pin in the actual underground but it was just getting started as marketable in the mainstream.

Ultimately nothing was in fact ever actually punk, I know that's a contradictory idea to the notion that certain Buzzcocks and Jam tunes are punk classics, but here's the deal. Punk was never a movement ideologically, in terms of sound, or even as fashion. There was no way to conform to a punk ethos that was universally accepted because it contradicted the very idea of DIY, which ultimately is where punk starts and ends. Punk was and remains a way to sell the idea of non-conformity, of individualism, and freedom from oppression.

Steve Albini wrote a great piece a while back, I think for Maximum Rock&Roll, about how genres are not real and are just inventions by record companies to force a distinction between bands that are carbon copies of each other in order to shift more units. I can't be bothered to find it for you but it's out there somewhere.

Besser I appreciate your deep love of music but a music expert you are not. The Jam did NOT start in the 60's and the early versions weren't even the classic 3 man line-up of Weller, Foxton, and Buckler. First LP recorded in 1977, the year of punk. For god sake man didn't you just watch the Doc?!

Sorry I had to say that cause the podcast can't hear me when I yell at it.

Also 13th Floor Elevators from Austin are considered by many to be the first psychedelic rock band. Lead singer Roky Erickson's difficult life is documented in the film "You're Gonna Miss Me" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0791268/

I really want to argue with you about music but I can't think of a good cased closed type angle...

You are of course an expert on Improv and I think this is one of the all-time great ep's.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that segment and a few things I wanted to say. For starters, issue aside, it was awesome that the guy was such a big fan and immediately sniffed out Matt's attempt to "Crossballs" him (and the specific appropach Matt took in doing so was very funny). I agree with just about every point the guy made. In line with Blink's point here, I didn't like Matt's heroin argument, because people do heroin for their own pleasure, whereas pro football players play because someone is paying them a lot of money for the entertainment of other people. Even before medical science was scratching the surface of the dangers of football, you'd very rarely see adults playing recreational tackle football. All that said, I also thought Matt did a good job and it was nice to hear a CC that was friendly and sensible on both sides.

This was a great argument until one of the guests started laughing at a completely reasonable point.

Here is a breakdown of this episode.

- Twitter Suggestion – Moped – The Jam is the only band associated with a means of transportation/Discussing who’s punk and who’s pop – Music store employee argues sub-punk with customer and kids learn about “Jesus Entering from the Rear” (1:31)

- Let’s Talk Some More About That – Hearing “Jesus Entering from the Rear” for the first time/Being protective of what your children see – Father overreacts to son hearing “Jesus Entering from the Rear”/Google shuts down the website while figuring out the spelling of dingleberry (11:33)

- Let’s Talk Some More About That – Guessing Quest For Fire and Caveman’s Release Date - Universal Studios executives brainstorm the movie App War/Attendees go on the ride in App World (23:41)

- Case Closed - Should high school football continue if players die? - Now that you have to be 21 to play football, a coach teaches the game to his new nerdy team (33:54)

- Let's Talk Some More About That - Comedian warms-up the crowd by encouraging impressions of Besser - Manager warns opening act not to mention headliner Louie Anderson (1:03:24)

- Let's Talk Some More About That - The chronology of Wayne's new album/The World Book - A young Wayne is forced to use The World Book during a family dinner (1:11:13)

- We Need to Talk About Kevin - Kevin the Intern's Intern and Eric the Paid Intern interviewed people/Besser explains the importance of follow-up questions - Late night host grills guest after taking the Matt Besser Interview Class (1:25:54)

• Like 1