🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
kennygray

Nightbreed (1990)

I just watched the Director's Cut of this on Netflix, and...holy shit. It is bonkers. Overall, I didn't hate the movie and ended up kind of liking it as it went on, but I was confused at times. I might have to give it another watch sometime soon. It's ultimately a bit too messy to be considered a good movie, but worth watching, especially because nothing else looks like this film. I don't think the HDTGM guys would hate it.

Decker is a cool-looking villain and the "monsters" are pretty unique. Made me wonder if Clive Barker was a fan of hallucinogens when making the book and film.

Decker

maxresdefault.jpg

Baphomet

6305.jpg

I've seen this twice and have no idea what's going on. So bad. Almost too bad to do a full episode on. I feel like Paul would pre-watch this in preparation then on a mini-sode he'd say "guys, I watched it...just no"

Clive Barker directed this one, but says the producers kept taking it and wanting a slasher movie. And kept cutting his budget. He wanted to make in his words "Star Wars with Monsters".

• Like 1

I also watched part of the director's cut on Netflix this last weekend. I was thinking how perfect it would be for the show, but it ultimately might be too boring. I shut it off about halfway through to salvage what was left of a RARE night alone [i have kids] and fell asleep to What About Bob? I couldn't decide if Cronenberg's performance was an acting choice to make the psychiatrist/serial killer character purposefully flat and empty, or if it just demonstrated a profound lack of skill.

• Like 1

I also watched part of the director's cut on Netflix this last weekend. I was thinking how perfect it would be for the show, but it ultimately might be too boring. I shut it off about halfway through to salvage what was left of a RARE night alone [i have kids] and fell asleep to What About Bob? I couldn't decide if Cronenberg's performance was an acting choice to make the psychiatrist/serial killer character purposefully flat and empty, or if it just demonstrated a profound lack of skill.

You missed the best part if you bailed on the second half. It is completely bananas.

Moving on, What About Bob is a solid choice for a nightcap.

• Like 1

We are two months from Halloween. I'm putting this out there early as a vote for a Halloween episode. If you haven't seen it, watch it. The movie is totally nuts and worth every second of your time.

The concept is interesting but the ending falls flat. At least I think it does. Plus I have always gotten this movie and Near Dark mixed up. I worked at a video store a hundred years ago the the cover boxes were kinda similar.

Has anyone seen the directors cut of this? I watched this once, but I shared in Clive Barkers disappointment in the original cut of the movie.

Has anyone seen the directors cut of this? I watched this once, but I shared in Clive Barkers disappointment in the original cut of the movie.

That's the only version I've seen. What was cut out? This movie isn't for everyone, which is probably an understatement, but I think it's worth watching for Barker's ambition if nothing else. It's also unlike anything I've seen.

I know that Clive wasnt happy with original cut of the movie which had significant edits outside his control. I think the directors cut added at least another twenty minutes.

I did love all the costume and makeup work on the monsters they were all fascinating to look at.

• Like 1

I've seen both cuts, though my memory is garbage now and I can't recall much of what's different. I do love this movie though, it's fun to look at and I wish I knew more about the world the monsters lived in.

• Like 1