🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 121.5 - Minisode 121.5

Honestly, I haven't watched anything more than the 30 second clips on the new movie on TV. I will hold my excitement until the movie gets closer, but honestly The Phantom Menace pretty much scarred me and taught me to never get too hyped up for a movie ever again.

• Like 3

That's my bad. I brought the discussion to the table. I would never do anything to hurt you.

11_zpsz1lax7sk.gif

Oh no I genuinely don't care! I was just stating my further lack of involvement in the conversation because Star Wars is srs business and I want to experience it like I did as a nerdy little child.

anigif_enhanced-19360-1403499318-1.gif

• Like 3

200.gif

Actually though, for having never seen them, you're right on point.

Thanks! It's basically a combination of cultural osmosis, Robot Chicken and having debates with my old room-mates about the trilogies. They explained a fair bit of background (re the Clone Wars show) and I've just made my own less informed opinions off of that. They almost had me watch them but in a different order because if I remember correctly, if you view Anakin as a place holder for Luke, there's a much better character arc. It never came to fruition though

WHAT ARE YOU DOING POSTING ON THE INTERNET WHILE THERE ARE STAR WARS MOVIES TO BE SEEN?!

Unfortunately, I have really bad "80s Vision" especially when it comes to movies with special effects. I can usually power through it for the movies on the podcast though. Since I know the story and the major plot points, all I'd be doing is going back to watch the effects sequences and that's not worth it for me.

• Like 3

Oh no I genuinely don't care! I was just stating my further lack of involvement in the conversation because Star Wars is srs business and I want to experience it like I did as a nerdy little child.

It's really just your excuse to disappear from the thread for the rest of the week, isn't it?

• Like 3

Thanks! It's basically a combination of cultural osmosis, Robot Chicken and having debates with my old room-mates about the trilogies. They explained a fair bit of background (re the Clone Wars show) and I've just made my own less informed opinions off of that. They almost had me watch them but in a different order because if I remember correctly, if you view Anakin as a place holder for Luke, there's a much better character arc. It never came to fruition though

Wait, have you not seen "A New Hope, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back" (Known as Episodes IV-VI) or "Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith" (The 4th - 6th released films)?

giphy.gif

It's really just your excuse to disappear from the thread for the rest of the week, isn't it?

I'm not going to let that happen! Since we've already discussed The Avengers and Princess Party Pooper won't let us talk about Star Wars, how about this?

To everyone:

What band/musician do you un-ironically like, but would be disinclined to admit to in real life? You don't have to own their entire catalog or anything, just something you jam to when no one else is around. Bonus: What bad songs (doesn't have to be the same band as the previous question) do you like? We are all protected by Internet anonymity, so be as honest as you like. Purge yourselves.

Mine:

Band--Barenaked Ladies

Songs--"Hook" Blues Travller, "We Built this City" Starship

• Like 4

What band/musician do you un-ironically like, but would be disinclined to admit to in real life? You don't have to own their entire catalog or anything, just something you jam to when no one else is around. Bonus: What bad songs (doesn't have to be the same band as the previous question) do you like? We are all protected by Internet anonymity, so be as honest as you like. Purge yourselves.

Mine: Older Maroon 5 and Peter Cetera (although I "admit" to liking Cetera, but I cloak it in irony)

Edit: Also some of the older Fall Out Boy stuff. I can't get behind Dance Like Uma Thurman though, that song is awful.

• Like 3

I'm not going to let that happen! Since we've already discussed The Avengers and Princess Party Pooper won't let us talk about Star Wars, how about this?

Pretty sure this needs to be her new Member Title.

• Like 3

Wait, have you not seen "A New Hope, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back" (Known as Episodes IV-VI) or "Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith" (The 4th - 6th released films)?

I have not seen the original trilogy, A New Hope, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back. My first Star Wars movie was actually Episode III:Revenge of the Sith.

Mine:

Band--Barenaked Ladies

Songs--"Hook" Blues Travller, "We Built this City" Starship

BNL, the hell bro? Why would you be disinclined to admit that? Their Gordon album is literally in the CD player of my car and it's my favourite album.

My examples are objectively bad but I do love them for what they are: radio filler and sexy dance jams

Artist: The Pussycat Dolls and Ashlee Simpson (but not Pieces of Me or Shadow)

Song: Nothing in the World by Paris Hilton

• Like 3

BNL, the hell bro? Why would you be disinclined to admit that? Their Gordon album is literally in the CD player of my car and it's my favourite album.

Oh, okay. They're BNL now. We need a shorthand for the Barenaked Ladies? That's how fundamental they are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfdTnpV03p8&feature=youtu.be

I'm honestly very open about my love of really bad pop music. It started when I was in college, and I had this awful commute from my night job to campus every morning. So I would listen to ridiculous-ass music because it's impossible to road rage while listening to, like, "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul. Any time I started getting upset, I would just imagine how funny of a picture it would be, and that would make the drive way less awful.

Edit: I should also point out it's mostly 80s and 90s that I love. I can get down with INXS or R Kelly, but no Katy Perry for me, thanks.

• Like 7

Oh, okay. They're BNL now. We need a shorthand for the Barenaked Ladies? That's how fundamental they are?

I'm honestly very open about my love of really bad pop music.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I have not seen the original trilogy, A New Hope, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back. My first Star Wars movie was actually Episode III:Revenge of the Sith.

Ah ok, just making sure. It just seems so hard to avoid seeing the originals. It's sorta like you've only ever eaten Pizza Hut pizza, and someone is like "You gotta try this gourmet good pizza" and you're all "I know what pizza tastes like"

My examples are objectively bad but I do love them for what they are: radio filler and sexy dance jams

I'm kind of on board with Ashlee. I swear she is a staple of supermarket ambiance and I usually find myself guiltily enjoying it when I am shopping and Invisible comes on.

And I think that the BNL song about postcards of chimps is pretty embarrassing (I say that as someone who is not really into BNL)

• Like 3

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

(member title changed JUST FOR YOU)

giphy.gif

To everyone:

Hey at least you got the fact that I am royalty correct!

As far as the music goes here is my doozy... One Direction...

635710658961811268-1865256439_3dcec8c1abdafb7b86ba7a1e8037d1a1.gif

• Like 5

Holy Crap! I can like BNL without fear of reprisal? Today is a grand day indeed! Years ago, I was in what I'd guess you call a "punk" band and anytime I brought up anything outside of that scene as an influence it was met with cruel, soul crushing derision.

Since I am now freed of this burden, Steven Page's "Clifton Springs" is a straight up, achingly beautiful song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrcci3alu9c

All in all, I like everyone's picks. I think we're all really having a break though here.

Here's another question: Are there any bands that you used to hate, but as you've gotten older, you suddenly dig? For instance, I used to hate the Grateful Dead and Phish, and then about three weeks ago I was like, "You know what? These guys aren't half bad."

I'm going through some changes here, guys and I really don't know what's happening to me...

what-is-happening-gif.gif

• Like 4

Cameron H's question is a little hard for me to answer as I'm not really big into current music and living in Japan for the last 10 years or so I'm more familiar with stuff here that a lot of stuff back in North America. However, back in the day as a straight middle schooler it was very embarrassing to admit to loving Aqua. I still will hear some of their songs and it still seems fun to me. Also I do enjoy Billy Joel and I know that gets controversial in some circles. As for songs? Hmm...I generally do really like What's Up? by 4 Non Blondes and Eddie Murphy's classic Party All the Time. So mind wormy.

• Like 4

All in all, I like everyone's picks. I think we're all really having a break though here.

Here's another question: Are there any bands that you used to hate, but as you've gotten older, you suddenly dig? For instance, I used to hate the Grateful Dead and Phish, and then about three weeks ago I was like, "You know what? These guys aren't half bad."

For me, it's Bryan Adams. My mom doesn't like his voice and I inherited that distaste just because. As it turned out, I loved a bunch of his songs but didn't know they were by him because she'd always changed the radio station. "When You're Gone" with Mel C is one of my favourite duets.

Controversially though, Summer of '69 is one of my most hated songs. It's over played and I don't think I'm that song's demographic.

• Like 5

Coincidentally enough, I put together an "I Love the 2000's" playlist within the last week. It's filled with guilty pleasure epic ballads like:

Since You Been Gone -Kelly Clarkson

It's Been Awhile -Staind (Glass)

Hemmorrage in My Hands -Fuel

Dig-Incubus

Somewhere I Belong- Linkin Park

Sometime Around Midnight- Airborne Toxic Event

The Middle- Jimmy Eat World

Craptastic stuff like that.

I'll uh, see myself out.

• Like 3

This is true. Although, nothing has truly been done until Mantzoukas has done it. The Christmas Special would be good as would the Ewok films as mentioned below.

That close to Christmas, they may as well do the holiday special! Phantom Menace is the deadest, most uninteresting horse there is.

I agree with you, but that more or less undermines and negates Luke's journey in RotJ. A huge part of that movie is Luke's struggle between the Light and the Dark. He wants to be good, but now that he knows Vader is his father, how much of that Darkness is in him? A part of this struggle can be seen in Lucas' heavy-handed shirt symbolism. Throughout the movie, Luke is dressed in black, but once he definitively chooses the Light Side, his shirt is revealed to be white underneath--right across his heart (awwwwwww).

luke24.jpg

Yes, he was too old, but that just makes his journey all the more impressive. He faces his Temptation, and despite all the odds against him, he comes out clean on the other side. If Luke turns evil in FA, it would be like after all the training and growth Daniel LaRusso underwent during the Karate Kid, he used it to supplant Billy Zabka as the biggest bully in school.

I really do recommend The Clones Wars (and Rebels) as supplemental entities. Yes, they can be kiddie and cheesy, but so can the movies. It just makes Anakin's heel-turn seem much less abrupt when you realize that a) unlike Luke, he's always been kind of a dick (but in a likable way), b ) his problem is he cares about EVERYONE too much, even the clones under his command, and c) the Jedi Order was pretty broken, and were kind of asshats to him--he earned a spot on that council dammit!.

I love the poster, I agree with you about AotC, and I would love Matt Gourley to come on again, but I just feel that TPM has been done to death. Maybe they should do Caravan of Courage or The Battle for Endor...they are both horrible and terrifying.

200.gif

Actually though, for having never seen them, you're right on point.

• Like 1

do you guys remember reading about toys R us canada leaking Ghostbusters toys early.? well it's happening again.

if you don't want any spoilers for the force awakens don't look. I warned you!!! Mind you, it is just a action figure.

jza0qu.jpg

In the new force awakens movie Nicolas cage will be playing the role of the force.

you didn't think I would post a real spoiler from the movie did ya? shame on you.

• Like 5

I'm going through some changes here, guys and I really don't know what's happening to me...

I have a weird answer and it's that as I have gotten older, mellower and taken myself less seriously I have grown to appreciate black metal.

When I was much younger I was a big heavy metal nerd. I was mostly into the nerdy, woman repellent, melodic clean vocal stuff (when Blind Guardian came up at the end of In the Name of the King I knew exactly who it was because I own multiple BG albums). I was also pretty much only into metal to the point of being an obnoxious purist, but I never really cared for brutal death metal or black metal. As I grew older my tastes started to expand and I grew to like punk, folk, rap, alternative and a bunch of other things that were a no-no among metal purists, but for some strange reason black metal also started to click.

Now, I say that I have grown to appreciate it as I have "gotten gotten older, mellower and taken myself less seriously" because if you have never encountered the underground heavy metal scene then you would not know that of the underground metal fans tend to be the most uptight and take themselves too seriously are the black metal fans. Many of them grow out of it as they grow older and mellow out, but I went the other direction.

• Like 2

As far as the music goes here is my doozy... One Direction...

635710658961811268-1865256439_3dcec8c1abdafb7b86ba7a1e8037d1a1.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Seeing that you guys are talking about 80's music and it's Halloween and all.

I think that this is appropriate, to share with you all.

This is a real music video from the late 80's.

I guess I should get back to watching the forger with John Travolta

• Like 2

So I posed this question at work today. This speaks to cultural differences but the Japanese staff seemed to think that there is no one song or band that is universally embarrassing but rather some music should be embarrassing for types of people to listen to.Rather than have a band like say Nickleback that just everyone hates, it's more like "Well it's okay if you're a white kid who doesn't have internet or radio growing up in Northern Alberta."

That said the one Japanese artist who I whole heartily unironically love that people deem I should not admit to liking is きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ or Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. Her songs always have happy catchy little rhythms and highly repetitive so they just get stuck in your head. Also her videos are shows are always so visually arresting. While this is not my favourite of hers but this is the most fitting because it is Halloween soon and all. Enjoy!

• Like 4

Coincidentally enough, I put together an "I Love the 2000's" playlist within the last week. It's filled with guilty pleasure epic ballads like:

Since You Been Gone -Kelly Clarkson

It's Been Awhile -Staind (Glass)

Hemmorrage in My Hands -Fuel

Dig-Incubus

Somewhere I Belong- Linkin Park

Sometime Around Midnight- Airborne Toxic Event

The Middle- Jimmy Eat World

Craptastic stuff like that.

I'll uh, see myself out.

I stand by that those two songs are not craptastic at all lol. Sometime Around Midnight is genuinely one of my all time faves!

giphy.gif

vf3GAeS.gif

• Like 3