🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 121.5 - Minisode 121.5

(member title changed JUST FOR YOU)

This is the happiest day of my life.

Today is a grand day indeed! Years ago, I was in what I'd guess you call a "punk" band and anytime I brought up anything outside of that scene as an influence it was met with cruel, soul crushing derision.

All in all, I like everyone's picks. I think we're all really having a break though here. Here's another question: Are there any bands that you used to hate, but as you've gotten older, you suddenly dig? For instance, I used to hate the Grateful Dead and Phish, and then about three weeks ago I was like, "You know what? These guys aren't half bad." I'm going through some changes here, guys and I really don't know what's happening to me...

I wasn't in a band, but I hung out with mostly skate punks in high school, and it was pretty much the same thing. Hell, even if you liked the wrong KIND of punk. I literally had someone call me a

"faggot"

because I liked Op Ivy over Agnostic Front. They're a tolerant group. Anyway, I still like a lot of that music, but like Youth Brigade, I don't go in the pit like I used to anymore.

Anyway, a couple things I've really gotten to enjoy as I've gotten older (as in, music I consider good and not horrible shit that I've grown to like):

Bob Dylan - I used to hate his voice but thought he was an excellent songwriter. Then someone made me go through How to Listen to Bob Dylan. It starts you at the most accessible stuff and then slowly works in a lot of the stuff that's offputting for new listeners to Dylan.

Simon and Garfunkel - My dad LOVES them, and I grew up with their records on constant repeat. I never could stand them (but liked most of Paul Simon's solo stuff). Then I heard "The Boxer" a couple years ago and it was like hearing it for the first time again somehow. I must have listened to it 100 times over a couple days. Then I listened to all of Bridge Over Troubled Water before getting into the rest of it.

Elton John - My old roommate made me sit down and listen to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road because I said I didn't really like Elton. Needless to say, my mind was quickly changed.

• Like 7

The Middle- Jimmy Eat World

Craptastic stuff like that.

I am literally listening to Bleed American right now! Which is, in my opinion, T to B, one of the greatest albums of all time. I particularly like, "Hear You Me," "Get it Faster," "Cautioners," and "My Sundown." I think the problem with "The Middle" is that it has just been so overplayed, but I still can't help but sing along when I hear it.

I also just downloaded, "Sometime Around Midnight."

I'll uh, see myself out.

Oh no, you don't. You're one of us now!

AHG2uMD.gif

I wasn't in a band, but I hung out with mostly skate punks in high school, and it was pretty much the same thing. Hell, even if you liked the wrong KIND of punk. I literally had someone call me a

"faggot"

because I liked Op Ivy over Agnostic Front. They're a tolerant group. Anyway, I still like a lot of that music, but like Youth Brigade, I don't go in the pit like I used to anymore.

Yeah, that was the real problem with that whole scene. To me, being "punk" was about being true to yourself and accepting everyone for their differences. So if you wanted to get all into The Carpenters or something, because you genuinely liked them, then that was being punk rock. Needless to say, since the majority of people into punk were in it just to be obnoxious and piss their parents off, me and the scene didn't really see eye to eye.

And, for the record: Op Ivy >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Agnostic Front.

Anyway, a couple things I've really gotten to enjoy as I've gotten older (as in, music I consider good and not horrible shit that I've grown to like):

Bob Dylan - I used to hate his voice but thought he was an excellent songwriter. Then someone made me go through How to Listen to Bob Dylan. It starts you at the most accessible stuff and then slowly works in a lot of the stuff that's offputting for new listeners to Dylan.

Simon and Garfunkel - My dad LOVES them, and I grew up with their records on constant repeat. I never could stand them (but liked most of Paul Simon's solo stuff). Then I heard "The Boxer" a couple years ago and it was like hearing it for the first time again somehow. I must have listened to it 100 times over a couple days. Then I listened to all of Bridge Over Troubled Water before getting into the rest of it.

Elton John - My old roommate made me sit down and listen to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road because I said I didn't really like Elton. Needless to say, my mind was quickly changed.

Dylan and I have a real dysfunctional relationship. I will go through periods of thinking he's great and then there are times when I feel like his pretentiousness is too much to bear. Oddly enough, I have always enjoyed S&G, even though it can be argued Simon's own affectations can be a bit much at times.

• Like 6

I am literally listening to Bleed American right now! Which is, in my opinion, T to B, one of the greatest albums of all time. I particularly like, "Hear You Me," "Get it Faster," "Cautioners," and "My Sundown." I think the problem with "The Middle" is that it has just been so overplayed, but I still can't help but sing along when I hear it.

I also just downloaded, "Sometime Around Midnight."

I feel that way with every Jimmy Eat World song that comes on the radio. I can't help but get excited and sing along at the top of my lungs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPoMjR6-Ao

I really love the music video for this song as well.

• Like 1

Bleed American is a good album. I spent the day listening to black metal, but even I must admit that the songs on that record are catchy as FUCK. The title track is probably my favorite.

Also, Spa + Liquid Nitrogen = HOLY SHIT REAL LIFE DEATH SPA: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11959130/Las-Vegas-spa-worker-found-frozen-to-death-inside-cryotherapy-tank.html

• Like 3

Okay, I have another little game I'd like to play if anyone is up for it. :)/>

Take whatever device you use to listen to music, put it on "all songs," put it on shuffle, and track forward until you find a song that you are willing to listen to all the way through. And then do this four more times. I'd like to hear the last five songs that you've listened to today in their entirety, but I'd be happy with just the last three. Full disclosure, this took a lot longer for me to accomplish than I thought. I'm just curious where everyone's head is at today. I promise this isn't for nefarious marketing purposes...but if you want to tell whether you prefer Coke or Pepsi that would be cool, I guess.

No judgement, just be honest. I mean--let's not kid ourselves--none of us are "cool," so don't try to game the system. This isn't Facebook. I like you all for the fine people that you are.

1) Tropical London--Rancid

2) Nearly Beloved--The Wallflowers

3) Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks--Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

4) Jump Into the Fog--The Wombats

5) Help--The Beatles

Huh, I seem to be feeling (tangentially) 80% British today. That's weird.

Songs that were close but didn't quite make it:

Surf's Up--The Beach Boys

Lovecraft in Brooklyn--The Mountain Goats

Stay--OIngo Boingo

• Like 4

Oooh I like this game!

1. Hide And Seek - Imogen Heap

2. Ce Jeu - Yelle

3. Black Sun - Death Cab For Cutie

4. Real World - Eisley

5. How Soon is Now - The Smiths

Almost made the Cut: 41 Mosquitoes Flying in Formation - Tame Impala

• Like 6

So I posed this question at work today. This speaks to cultural differences but the Japanese staff seemed to think that there is no one song or band that is universally embarrassing but rather some music should be embarrassing for types of people to listen to.Rather than have a band like say Nickleback that just everyone hates, it's more like "Well it's okay if you're a white kid who doesn't have internet or radio growing up in Northern Alberta."

As a white person growing up in rural Prairie Canada, I will admit to enjoying Nickelback. My caveat is that I only enjoy their upbeat party music. Their really earnest stuff, like If Anyone Cared, can burn in a dumpster fire.

• Like 5

As a white person growing up in rural Prairie Canada, I will admit to enjoying Nickelback. My caveat is that I only enjoy their upbeat party music. Their really earnest stuff, like If Anyone Cared, can burn in a dumpster fire.

My Dad and his whole side of the family are Prairie folk. While my mom's side were BC lumberjacks. I have a weird background.

• Like 4

Ellen, I just want to say that I admire your honesty and your bravery. That is a bold admission. Bravo!

Personally, I can't stand Nickelback, especially that horrible "Photograph" song. It always felt to me like it was written with the same lyrical finesse as "Choppin' Broccoli."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntp8_KFv59Y

• Like 6

After doing this I have two thoughts. Either my music tastes are very eclectic or I need to trim down my music

1. Straight, No Chaser - Thelonious Monk

2.天体観測 - BUMP OF CHICKEN

3. Mongoloid - DEVO

4. Plug in Baby - Muse

5. Tomorrow Never Knows - Mr. Children

Almost made the cut: The Boss - James Brown, Kids With Guns -Gorillaz, Bust a Move - Young MC

• Like 6

My Dad and his whole side of the family are Prairie folk. While my mom's side were BC lumberjacks. I have a weird background.

I feel you. My dad is originally from PEI and mom's from Manitoba. I've lived in MB, SK and Nunavut too.

Canadians are a transient people.

• Like 2

Ellen, I just want to say that I admire your honesty and your bravery. That is a bold admission. Bravo!

Personally, I can't stand Nickelback, especially that horrible "Photograph" song. It always felt to me like it was written with the same lyrical finesse as "Choppin' Broccoli."

Thanks again! I appreciate the understanding. It is so ubiquitous to hate Nickelback and I'll be the first to admit that I trashed Nickelback for the sake of being Nickelback. Chad Kroeger was interviewed once and basically said he found the formula to make successful radio hits and that if the critics wanted, they could throw eggs at his mansion.

Photograph is another very "earnest" song of theirs that I can't stand. Animals is probably my favourite of theirs, I think high school nostalgia goggles are involved with that though.

My Latest 5:

1. Lovers in a Dangerous Time- Barenaked Ladies

2. Let's Spend the Night Together- Rolling Stones

3. Tornado- Little Big Town

4. Hot and Fun- N.E.R.D. feat Nelly Furtado

5. Work Out- J Cole

• Like 5

I was born in Charlottesville, Virginia, but was only there until I was about 6 months old. A decade or so later, it became the birthplace of the Dave Matthews Band, and while I have no hometown pride or anything, I DO feel the need to reclaim my city and bring it back to wait it was before it was so inappropriately reappropriated. Over the years, the DMB has claimed the lifestyles of a lot of my friends that grew up loving rap and metal, turning them into unrecognizable husks of their former selves. I wage this war in their memory. For serious, you guys. For total realsies.

• Like 4

I don't know if I could choose an ultimate 2000s list as my taste skews all over the place, which my inmates really enjoy because I'll play music low in my library to break the monotony. I'll go from Korn to Frank Sinatra to Jimmy Eat World to The Misfits to Kanye West to George Harrison. It keeps them calm while at the same time not getting too energetic as the tempo is constantly changing.

I will admit though that one big guilty pleasure of mine is Aqua, who's first album I still think is the shit.

• Like 3

My Latest 5:

1. Lovers in a Dangerous Time- Barenaked Ladies

2. Let's Spend the Night Together- Rolling Stones

3. Tornado- Little Big Town

4. Hot and Fun- N.E.R.D. feat Nelly Furtado

5. Work Out- J Cole

Your songs almost make for an interesting short story...

A couple, in a sexually satisfying, but otherwise tumultuous relationship, hook up one night after a long night of fighting. In their ardor, they use their pent up frustrations to engage in a whirlwind of hot, passionate sex. They are a knot of claws and teeth. Their eyes meet and they see each other, really see each other--maybe for the first time in their lives--and they laugh. They laugh long and hard. The gray dawn peeks behind the slatted blinds.

Don't be worried for them, guys--it'll all work out.

Anyone else see this?

Just me?

Oh boy...

I think I've gotta work some things out.

• Like 6

Your songs almost make for an interesting short story...

A couple in a sexually satisfying, but otherwise tumultuous relationship, hook up one night after a long night of fighting. In the their ardor, they use their pent up frustrations to engage in a whirlwind of hot passionate sex. They are a knot of claws and teeth. Their eyes meet and they see each other, really see each other--maybe for the first time in their lives--and they laugh. They laugh long and hard. The gray dawn peeks behind the slatted blinds.

Don't be worried for them, guys--it'll all work out.

Anyone else see this?

Just me?

Oh boy...

I think I've gotta work some things out.

Honestly, I noticed the theme of the first two and laughed at the coincidence but your analysis is next level

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Okay, I have another little game I'd like to play if anyone is up for it. :)/>/>

Take whatever device you use to listen to music, put it on "all songs," put it on shuffle, and track forward until you find a song that you are willing to listen to all the way through. And then do this four more times. I'd like to hear the last five songs that you've listened to today in their entirety, but I'd be happy with just the last three. Full disclosure, this took a lot longer for me to accomplish than I thought. I'm just curious where everyone's head is at today. I promise this isn't for nefarious marketing purposes...but if you want to tell whether you prefer Coke or Pepsi that would be cool, I guess.

No judgement, just be honest. I mean--let's not kid ourselves--none of us are "cool," so don't try to game the system. This isn't Facebook. I like you all for the fine people that you are.

1) Tropical London--Rancid

2) Nearly Beloved--The Wallflowers

3) Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks--Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

4) Jump Into the Fog--The Wombats

5) Help--The Beatles

Huh, I seem to be feeling (tangentially) 80% British today. That's weird.

Songs that were close but didn't quite make it:

Surf's Up--The Beach Boys

Lovecraft in Brooklyn--The Mountain Goats

Stay--OIngo Boingo

I Follow You-Melodys Echo Chamber

Medicine Hat-Pond

Henkan-Bo Ningen

Street Joy- White Denim

Unison-Bjork

Thank the heavens for Spotify. I never would have known of Bo Ningen or White Denim (well, I guess thank Kevin Parker for them).

• Like 5

My multimedia computer with all of my owned stuff is down, so I did it with all of the stuff that I have favorited on rdio:

Handsome Boy Modeling School (w/ Del The Funkee Homosapien) - The World's Gone Mad

Sigh - Scarlet Dream

Gza - I Gotcha Back

The White Buffalo - One Lone Night

The Pogues - The Body of an American

• Like 4

I can't read the Star Wars stuff because I can't even bear to think about it I'm sogoddamnfuckin excited. I've cried 4 times this year. 3 were the first 3 times I watched Trailer #2. One was when I was describing it to a friend who hadn't seen it, while we were having a meal in a nice restaurant. It took me a full 15 seconds to blubber out the words: "Chewy, we're home". Just really pathetic.

Guilty pleasures I have none. Meaning I stopped feeling any guilt or embarrassment about anything I really enjoy. Yeah I like Journey's "Open Arms". "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" by The Carpenters? Been stuck in my head for over a year, I love it.

Here's my most recent five.

1. Amy Winehouse - "Valerie ('68 version)"

2. My Bloody Valentine - "She Found Now"

3. James Taylor - "Carolina On My Mind"

4. Aretha Franklin - "I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)"

5. The Only Ones - "Another Girl, Another Planet"

I really had to restrain myself from doing 10. I love these kind of lists!

• Like 5

Apparently this time the universe decided that it wanted to take me in a more rock direction, and that it really wanted me to listen to Monster Magnet:

Monster Magnet - Space Lord

Shining - The One Inside

Monster Magnet - See You In Hell

Leprous - Acquired Taste

Rodriguez - Sugar Man

• Like 4

Okay, I have another little game I'd like to play if anyone is up for it. :)/>/>

Okay, here goes...

"Summerland"-Everclear

"The Set-Up (You Need This)"-Reel Big Fish

"I Do Not Hook Up"-Kelly Clarkson

"The Real Thing"-Faith No More

"Heaven is a Place on Earth"-Belinda Carlisle

What the hell, I'll go ten...

"All Nightmare Long"-Metallica

"Something Happened on the Way to Heaven"-Phil Collins

"I'm Eighteen"-Alice Cooper

"Feed the Gods"-White Zombie

"Girlfriend"-Avril Lavigne

And it WOULD end on a fuckin' Nickelback connection.

Also: Pepsi, all day long.

• Like 7

here is some tunes from my collection of favorites, it's no Nickelback but it's what I like.

One of these songs I really do like, clue it's from kill bill.

Btw I am sorry I could not help myself.

How could I forget this song from the queen of Canada

• Like 5

Okay I'll do the next five too.

Bruce Springsteen - "Nebraska"

White Noise - "Love Without Sound"

Deerhunter - "All The Same"

Bob Dylan - "I Threw It All Away"

Grateful Dead - "China Cat Sunflower/I Know You Rider" (Live 3/24/1974)

If you've never heard White Noise check it out. One of the first bands to compose entirely with tape loops. I'm pretty sure this crowd will appreciate this.

• Like 4

Did it again this morning and got a nice eclectic mix:

The Walker Brothers - The Electrician

Wu Tang Clan - Wu Tang Clan Aint Nothin ta F Wit

GÃ¥te - Springleik

Good Riddance - Static

Converge - Cruel Bloom

• Like 3