๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 122 - Death Spa: LIVE!

It's been two days and we're just now getting off of page 5. This is a travesty y'all.

ย 

But it's Wednesday so you know what that means...

ย 

tumblr_mwty4mZ26Q1qz8x31o1_500.gif

• Like 4

ย 

ย 

ย 

You guys are underestimating the simply brilliant script. That line was oh-so-subtle foreshadowing. By 1988 they knew that Beta had met its demise, therefore Beta guy was predicting his own untimely death. Chelsea Field was VHS, and she survived until the end of the film.

ย 

At least that's the explanation if the writers had predicted the fate of the two video formats in 1983 and decided to keep the line long after the line proved prescient yet outdated at the same time.

I think that a little research will reveal that this was some earlier, unappreciated, and uncredited work by a younger Aaron Sorkin. If you listen closely, someone mutters the same line in "Steve Jobs"...

• Like 2

It's been two days and we're just now getting off of page 5. This is a travesty y'all.

ย 

I think I have an answer for that...

ย 

ย 

This movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

ย 

ย 

You know what I'm excited about though? For the first time in what feels like forever, I have no idea what the next movie is going to be. They've already released all their banked live shows, and they aren't doing another one until December, so Friday's announcement will be a legitimate surprise. This is filling my body with joyful anxiety. I'm hoping we'll get at least one "guest free" episode.

ย 

Also, didn't Paul say he was looking for suggestions for new mini-episode segments? Has anyone given this any thought?

ย 

But it's Wednesday so you know what that means...

ย 

tumblr_mwty4mZ26Q1qz8x31o1_500.gif

ย 

200.gif

• Like 6

I've never seen it, but is "Twins" with Arnold and Danny Devito a good-bad movie? They could go two for two with that combo after Junior.

ย 

Otherwise, maybe the movie "Stuck on You" with Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear playing conjoined twins?

I saw twins on LSD when i was a kid. That's really all I can remember I've never re-watched.

ย 

I saw a lot of movies on acid whatever year that was. I think it was 1988 or 89. Here's a partial list;

ย 

Scrooged

Big Top Pee Wee

Colors

Adventures of Baron Munchhausen

The Dead Pool

Dead Ringers

ย 

Gosh I hope I'm not permanently damaged by any of those...

• Like 5

Also not to rub it in guys but we Hollywood Handbook freaks put up 142 comments on the ep that dropped yesterday. SMDH.

• Like 3

ย 

I think I have an answer for that...

ย 

ย 

This movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

I haven't actually watched along with everyone in a long time cause I just got a ton of new shit thrown at me in life so my movie watching time has suffered (and when I do get the time I'd prefer it not be something that makes me hate life that's how awful it is lol)

ย 

But this episode made me want to watch it because it sounds legit next level bonkers!

ย 

Also, didn't Paul say he was looking for suggestions for new mini-episode segments? Has anyone given this any thought?

Maybe he can just do a segment about how awesome we all are regardless of corrections/omissions.

ย 

tumblr_m984iyzLfT1qg39ewo1_r1_250.gif

• Like 7

Maybe he can just do a segment about how awesome we all are regardless of corrections/omissions.

ย 

Awwww...Taylor Anne, I may not be Paul "Mr. Hollywood" Scheer, but you're aces in my book!

ย 

2c1b389a2ce2176c75ff995b9efcf96c.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure if this was addressed earlier in the thread but:

ย 

We've heard about how it can be a bad portent when there's more than two or three production slates at the beginning of a movie (meaning too many funding entities or studios), but did anybody notice that there are NONE on Death Spa? Nobody takes credit -- it just fucking starts.

• Like 3

Awwww...Taylor Anne, I may not be Paul "Mr. Hollywood" Scheer, but you're aces in my book!

tumblr_mdqp0dg8Qh1qmxcc6o9_r2_250.gif

ย 

I'm just sayin' there have been a bunch of A+ quality shit on this site that I feel like Paul should be recognizing lol.

• Like 3

My internet connection was down all last week until today and my home computer won't start so I'm writing from my workplace lol...

ย 

I just wanted to add a couple of random things about "Death Spa" AKA "WITCH BITCH"

ย 

My version of the flick had the title Witch Bitch just before the lightning strikes and the neon sign reads Death Spa...

ย 

10259777_10153574545807559_1069293659943105951_n.jpg?oh=cd5c71cc9dad73fd615da6b42223e65f&oe=56CB7C57&__gda__=1455597283_55e38439574e8a0ae5829763b8b798af

ย 

Also I think IMHO that Paul said accident because Catherine's lower spine was accidentally damaged during labor causing her paralysis

ย 

ย 

So with the whole Beta, VHS line. I think he just meant that they weren't compatible. Right? Like you cant play beta on a vhs tape deck...maybe?

ย 

I think maybe we are looking too much into that line ( And I totally love all your interpretations :D ) but taking it a step back what if its only a simple double entendre... maybe he means he has a small penis (Beta cassette) or she has a big vagina (VHS slot)

ย 

I personally didn't interpret the line that way but that could maybe sorta be what he really meant ;)

• Like 4

Hey guys,

ย 

I just wanted to weigh in on the whistler issue.

Mainly because I was at the show and I was sitting directly behind him.

Like... right... behind... him...

ย 

ย 

He does not deserve to be defended, let me explain;

ย 

He really was doing it through the entire show.

(I think they did some heavy editing to get a lot of his interruptions out of the recording.)

ย 

It was not the same as applause, it was annoying and disruptive. He was actually waiting till everyone was quite to do it.

Also he was clearly drunk- his 4 friends where even telling him to stop and looked very embarrassed to be with him.

ย 

Paul also asked very nicely to please stop the whistling before the recording started.

(yes he was doing it before they were even on stage).

ย 

It was almost too much to take,

ย 

The only thing that made up for it was the epic shut down that Jason gave him after he admitted it.

That was the best.

• Like 13

Hey guys,

ย 

I just wanted to weigh in on the whistler issue.

Mainly because I was at the show and I was sitting directly behind him.

Like... right... behind... him...

ย 

ย 

He does not deserve to be defended, let me explain;

ย 

He really was doing it through the entire show.

(I think they did some heavy editing to get a lot of his interruptions out of the recording.)

ย 

It was not the same as applause, it was annoying and disruptive. He was actually waiting till everyone was quite to do it.

Also he was clearly drunk- his 4 friends where even telling him to stop and looked very embarrassed to be with him.

ย 

Paul also asked very nicely to please stop the whistling before the recording started.

(yes he was doing it before they were even on stage).

ย 

It was almost too much to take,

ย 

The only thing that made up for it was the epic shut down that Jason gave him after he admitted it.

That was the best.

ย 

Wow, Nate, that really sucks. The fact that you didn't smack him in the back of the head should be enough to qualify you for sainthood. I can only imagine how obnoxious it would be if you were actually in the audience. I live in Atlanta, so the likelihood that I'm ever going to be at one of their live shows is pretty minimal, but if I ever do have the chance, and some fucking guy is whistling like an idiot just because he wants to be the goddamn center of attention, Ho-lee Crap...

ย 

giphy.gif

ย 

To future audience members: if there's ever a time where a host/comedian/entertainer asks you to shut the fuck up, just do it--the first time.

• Like 6

Funny episode as always, but personally I thought this movie was not worthy of HTDGM. To my mind, the show has always been about dissecting movies that have big budgets and/or great casts and still turn out to be terrible. Or in the case of The Room, Birdemic etc, genuine cult classics. This Death Spa is just utterly unredeemable, unknown cheapo trash, like thousands of other 80s straight to video travesties funded by clueless wannabes with a few bucks to throw around.

ย 

They must have been really desperate to find another gym-themed movie to go along with Perfect.

This was me reading Nate's explanation:

ย 

giphy.gif

ย 

This was me when Whistles McGee got called out:

giphy.gif

• Like 4

RE: Tiles Popping Off Walls

ย 

is this the place to post corrections and omissions? oh well here it goes.

ย 

According to the TCNA (Tile Council of North America) Handbook, AKA the Tilesetters bible, the correct installation of tile in a shower or steam shower setting includes something called EJ171, which says that there must be a soft expansion joint every 20-25 linear feet to allow for expansion, ro 10-12 linear feet in areas exposed to freeze thaw cycles, direct sunlight, or constant steam conditions, if this isn't followed you can run into problems because when structures flex, the tile does not, so it will just "pop" or become unbonded which would result in the tiles coming loose from their substrate. Obviously it wouldn't shoot out so rapidly but it would be a sudden delimitation of the tiles. Another issue could be if the tiles did not have enough coverage of thinset to the substrate, which is 90% surface area in a wet setting like a shower. If this is the case, the voids, or air pockets behind the tile will expand rapidly with heat and cause delamination, which is what ZOOKS mentioned in the episode. So in theory, its sort of possible. If I, as a tile setter by trade, took off tile to find perfectly clean surface underneath with little air hoses installed, and one behind the colored tiles, i would be suspicious as fuck. Good luck with that shit patrons of Starbody, whoever installed the tiles in this shower did not have a clue what they were doing.

• Like 1

Did anybody watch Drunk History Tuesday night and see Jason?

ย 

drunkhistory_03_010_act1_01_-_jason_mantzoukas_as_pope.jpg

• Like 3

ย 

ย 

ย 

I was thinking they could do a segment called "Bizarro World Oscar Noms" (surely someone can come up with a better name than that). Basically the guys invent a category for the Oscars in which pretty much only this movie would ever win, let alone receive a nomination.

ย 

Examples.

• "Best use of a Betamax reference in a Horror/Comedy Flick" - Outdated Fit Guy - Death Spa
  • "Best Supporting Actor - 3 to 4 lines of dialogue" - Comedic Relief Guy - Death Spa
  • "Outstanding Cameo by an Actor/Actress who obviously made several poor career choices" - Tied: Karyn Parsons & Chelsea Fields.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Some kind (?) person condensed Death Spa down to two minutes and change...

ย 

ย 

This reminds me of the tags they put at the end of prime time dramas. Next week....on How Did This Get Made!

Every October for the past few years I basically do a marathon of nothing but horror movies. As of right now I've watched 115 and I can say this was nowhere near the worst. Amazon Prime really has some shitty horror movies available for free, so bad that they wouldn't even be good for the show (Crazy Murder, Under the Skin, and Stage Fright, come to mind).

ย 

You have not see the worst yet... GirlHouse (2014) and Crazy Bitches (2014) are THE. WORST. PERIOD. ..

ย 

You have not see the worst yet... GirlHouse (2014) and Crazy Bitches (2014) are THE. WORST. PERIOD. ..

I saw those listed on Netflix or Amazon and they looked kinda eh to me, yet ones like A Haunting at Preston Castle, Deadtime Stories, or Dead Dudes in the House, were all deplorable and the latter could be a decent episode of the show in itself.

Oh boy. I think if you had a 24 hour long podcast you could not cover everything in this movie. After weeks of movies just called the same here in Japan, boy is this one a doozy. That means time for a return of

ย 

"How Did This Get Named?"(in Japan)

So while the packaging on this film in Japan contains the English title of "Witch Bitch" the Japanese name was ใƒ—ใƒฉใƒ‡ใƒฅใƒผใƒ ๏ผšๆ‚ชๅคขใฎ้–ƒๅ…‰้ญ”ๅฎฎ (Paradyuumu: Akumu no Senkoumakyuu) which would translate to a very rough:

ย 

"Pladoom: Nightmare of the Radiant Evil Temple".

ย 

The name is bonkers but the packaging give some clues. Makyuu is an evil temple, for example that's what Temple of Doom is translated as in Japanese, and senkou high tech gym (they don't call it a spa and this is where the radiant part comes in) is turned into a temple of evil when the ghost tries to merge worlds which I assume they mean the spirit and corporeal. That explains the clunky second half. The Pladoom part? No idea. Not a word in Japanese or English. "Pura" can be used as a shorted prefix for plastic or plus but "Plastic Doom" makes no sense either. I think they just had no idea what was going on either.

Oops, that above was an accidental quote post.