🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 122 - Death Spa: LIVE!

LIVE from Largo in Los Angeles Paul, June, and Jason welcome Horatio Sanz to discuss the 1980's horror film Death Spa. They'll discuss 80's workout gear, paranormal-transgender villains, and whether or not this film can in fact be called a film. Additionally, the gang debates if serving sushi in a place of exercise is sanitary. Lastly, with the help of the audience our Hosts debate the best ways to die in a spa.

This flick was beyond BONKERS! I was basically doing a Jason "WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!" throughout the entirity, especially when the Spa Ghost (coast to coast) merged with her brother. That was some major WTF craziness! LOVED IT!

• Like 1

Oh boy. I think if you had a 24 hour long podcast you could not cover everything in this movie. After weeks of movies just called the same here in Japan, boy is this one a doozy. That means time for a return of

"How Did This Get Named?"(in Japan)

So while the packaging on this film in Japan contains the English title of "Witch Bitch" the Japanese name was プラデューム:悪夢の閃光魔宮 (Paradyuumu: Akumu no Senkoumakyuu) which would translate to a very rough:

"Pladoom: Nightmare of the Radiant Evil Temple".

The name is bonkers but the packaging give some clues. Makyuu is an evil temple, for example that's what Temple of Doom is translated as in Japanese, and senkou meanings shining or glinting. In the description of the movie they note the glitzy high tech gym (they don't call it a spa and this is where the radiant part comes in) is turned into a temple of evil when the ghost tries to merge worlds which I assume they mean the spirit and corporeal. That explains the clunky second half. The Pladoom part? No idea. Not a word in Japanese or English. "Pura" can be used as a shorted prefix for plastic or plus but "Plastic Doom" makes no sense either. I think they just had no idea what was going on either.

• Like 5

David is introduced in the movie as the creep in the control room spying on and screwing with the gym members. When he is leering at the bench presser and says "Here is something even I can't improve upon." the security camera footage they are watching is the actual film footage from two minutes earlier in the movie.

• Like 3

Just another quick note to highlight one of my favourite things that made me laugh every time it popped up.

So the gym spa is having a Mardi Gras party on February 2nd which they say numerous times that it's a Mardi Gras party, yet all their signage in the gym just says "Starbody Party" Wait, I'm sorry it doesn't even say that. They have a picture of a star next to a silhouette of a person then "Party." Is this some sort of jab at their clientele? Like they are so dumb they can't even read the name of the gym they belong to. Or were Michael's three favourite things meaningless sex, south western motifs, and wingdings font?

• Like 1

Most of this movie has really airtight logic. But the death of Tom the crooked lawyer at the end made no sense. He was in the sauna to have sex with the blonde grocery delivery girl and his face just fell apart. There was no mechanism for his death whatsoever.

• Like 3

I haven't listened to the entire podcast yet (I had to skedaddle to work), but I had a question and not sure if they ended up discussing this: The creepy brother had an English accent, right? But, his TWIN SISTER didn't? Maybe I didn't hear her inflection properly or something...Also, how did the dude in the sauna get killed? Was that a piece of the wood from the sauna bed, or from the wall or something?

• Like 2

Most of this movie has really airtight logic. But the death of Tom the crooked lawyer at the end made no sense. He was in the sauna to have sex with the blonde grocery delivery girl and his face just fell apart. There was no mechanism for his death whatsoever.

It's very fast and I could be wrong but I believe a piece of wood from the wall went through the back of his head and out his face. It happens so fast, but afterwards we see his lady friend being attacked by wooden planks coming off the wall, so I just assumed same thing happened to him.

• Like 7

The absolute best thing in this movie was the command line interface for the computer (start a command with 'please'). I wasn't the first to point it out though so credit where it is due.

• Like 4

The absolute best thing in this movie was the command line interface for the computer (start a command with 'please').

If only you could get a computer to do what you wanted by asking it nicely instead of spending hours internally screaming when you can't get scripts to work...or is that just me?

I have been trying to decide if I should just listen and skip the movie because I haven't seen it yet but all of the comments so far and the weird asparagus pic are convincing me that it would be worth a watch...

• Like 4

So there is a threesome in Perfect and a threesome in Death Spa and Chelsea Field is in both, does that mean that I missed the threesome scene in Masters of the Universe?

• Like 3

Thank you Paul for calling out how this was financed by the producer of "A Hard Day's Night."

Cause with that information, it's finally explained why the film is playing in the background when we first meet David.

When seeing it, I'm like...

"Are those The Beatles? Why are the Beatles on the TV?.... HOLY SHIT! WHO'S ON FIRE?!?!"

Also, being the producer of "A Hard Day's Night" means he has rights to that footage? I don't believe so.

8pSdZqM.png

• Like 4

So my biggest question is...

Why was Katharine doing this?

Why is she mass murdering a lot of innocent people?

Sure, there are some women who want to have sex with David, but it's not like they are vocal about their joy of Katharine's death.

I just don't know why she is so vengeful.

Why?

why-gif.gif

So there is a threesome in Perfect and a threesome in Death Spa and Chelsea Field is in both, does that mean that I missed the threesome scene in Masters of the Universe?

I'm sure the He-Man/Skeletor/Gwildor fan fic exists somewhere...

• Like 5

death-spa-02.jpg

quick question... how do you post images? when i click the image icon, i can only insert images with a URL. I can't upload an image from my desktop.

Good on Jason for calling out the loud whistler and then not letting him ask a question. If you're a whistler at a concert, comedy show, or whatever, just know that everyone in the crowd is thinking about you the same way that everyone in this crowd responded to that dude. You are the worst, and you should be kicked the fuck out.

I have been trying to decide if I should just listen and skip the movie because I haven't seen it yet but all of the comments so far and the weird asparagus pic are convincing me that it would be worth a watch...

Same. I've been too busy this week to watch it (and, honestly, I'm kind of over shitty 80s movies for a bit; I hope they journey to another decade in the next ep), but the ep was wonderful and makes me want to watch it. Maybe I'll check it out before I give this ep the obligatory second listen.

I'm sure the He-Man/Skeletor/Gwildor fan fic exists somewhere...

*Grill-Door

• Like 7

quick question... how do you post images? when i click the image icon, i can only insert images with a URL. I can't upload an image from my desktop.

I think you can do it if you click "More Post Options" and use the Attach Files uploader. But I'd recommend uploading it to an image hosting site like Imgur and then linking it. That's what I usually do.

upload the image you want to post to an image hosting site (i use tinypic but theres load out there). Then copy/paste the url for the image on that site into the box that comes up when you click the image icon.

(if that fails, i think you can also post it to facebook/twitter and copy the url from there)

Although this movie is 100% bonkers, it technically does follow a somewhat normal time flow. Day to Day... Event to Event.

That said, the continuity for the wardrobe is completely off.

So after the woman who gets stabbed in the throat and goes missing, the cops come back to the spa to investigate her whereabouts. They interview Michael and eventually go away.

What has to be a few days later, they show up to David's house with Michael. All three of them are wearing the same clothes as they were when interviewing Michael at the spa.

So yes, for production reasons, they may have filmed the actors playing the cops in a few back to back days. But that is no excuse to the laziness of the script supervisor or stylist.

t7loy7W.png

4ZkKPB8.png

QPLw6qw.png

• Like 4

I think you can do it if you click "More Post Options" and use the Attach Files uploader. But I'd recommend uploading it to an image hosting site like Imgur and then linking it. That's what I usually do.

thank you