🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 257 — Dystopian Futures

This week, the gang discusses cocaine music, the greatest joke that Howard can't remember, and why Dodge trucks are the only thing that will remain in a dystopian future. Also, Kulap talks about the process of finding a title for her latest project. Later, Howard and Kulap welcome to the show Stephanie Allynne who talks about some of her favorite people to do improv with with, fantasy football, and the art of maintaining a beautiful mane of hair.

The denim coveralls are a nice complement to Stephanie as this wife-having, football-watching, all-American just throwin' down with the bros.

• Like 1

Phish has a song about what he was talking about - the waking up and not being able to recall something you were dreaming about.

I would love to hear what Wie has to say about that.

Positive note: The new video games theme is my favorite since the classic movies theme.

Less positive: Stephanie Allynne is great ... I'm kind of bummed her segment wasn't longer. Felt pretty rushed.

Side note: Stephanie does, indeed, have amazing hair.

• Like 1

Less positive: Stephanie Allynne is great ... I'm kind of bummed her segment wasn't longer. Felt pretty rushed.

Totes. I said last week that I didn't mind the shorter guest time, but might feel differently if it was a guest I know and like. Confirmed! I was hoping that when Whooch and Twooch merged, we'd get longer episodes in order to accommodate everything, but all three have been right around 70 minutes, so it definitely feels rushed at times.

Anyway, still a really fun episode, and Howard and Stard are killing it with the new themes.

• Like 2

The guest segment was like a condensed version of her first Who Charted appearance, complete with Jaws is Better. Go listen to that one. Its great.

1) Take it easy, Howie. That chartist wasn't speaking THAT slowly.

2) Stephanie Allynne is the greatest and I highly suggest anyone who hasn't gotten Howl and listened to the Wild Horses podcast to do so immediately. I love listening to them. I also agree in that the interview part was a bit short.

3) I absolutely LOVE the new intro. Love love love. I keep re-listening to it.

I know he's just ball-busting, but I can't imagine that listeners wanting to participate in this new aspect of the show are encouraged by what we've heard so far. "Please submit audio questions! There's only a 60% chance that Howard will interrupt and/or criticize you."

• Like 1

I know he's just ball-busting, but I can't imagine that listeners wanting to participate in this new aspect of the show are encouraged by what we've heard so far. "Please submit audio questions! There's only a 60% chance that Howard will interrupt and/or criticize you."

Yeah, I agree. I often think about listener-submitted material to podcasts and whether or not ball-busting is okay when they aren't putting them out there for it; i.e. like voicing an obscure or unpopular opinion on I4H versus just asking a question here. I understand it's the under the show-runner's digression once the listener crosses that boundary but with people like me I immediately am deterred at all in fear of the possibility. It's why I skip the Hollywood Handbook listener episodes because although I know it's all a joke, the child-who-was-bullied in me can't stand to listen to it because it raises a lot of negative emotions. Idk, it's weird. I don't mind ball-busting it just depends on from who and what the context is.

All of that said, Harris Wittels asking "What are you, a fuckin' shirt detective?" in response to a question I submitted on a live VPN episode of Whooch is one of the highlights of my life.

• Like 4

I should tell my wife about Warby Parker. Here eyesight is indeed 'absolutely abysmal.' It's a good think I wasn't eating when he said that.

Please restore the option to download. Much love.

You can still download from the earwolf page, just press the download button next to "share" on the soundcloud player on the episode page.

He was though. I even thought to myself "speed it up" before Howard said anything. It sounded like he hit record and was thinking up the question on the fly rather than having a prepared question before recording.

All of that said, Harris Wittels asking "What are you, a fuckin' shirt detective?" in response to a question I submitted on a live VPN episode of Whooch is one of the highlights of my life.

A question I asked led Ku to doing the New Born Baby Colt dance on the first VPN.

• Like 1

I agree with some other humans here that the guest section feels very short! I wish I could hear these other funny people for longer, but I respect Howard and Kulap's position at the moment of needing more time for work and less time to produce free content for the masses. Personally, I'd like to see the show be more like the original who charted instead of a hybrid between two and who but that's just me and I bet there are people that would fight me on that! (please don't!)

All that said, I still love these podcasters. Kulap has a heart of gold and a laugh that's as contagious as the common cold. Howard is a problematic fave, but how could you not love his world view and ability to twist things every which way and that. And of course, Brett comes across as one of the warmest, friendliest, nicest people ever. Plus he brings his A game to not only this podcast but every single one he takes part in! And he's the only one who likely reads these forums so good on you, Brett!

You can still download from the earwolf page, just press the download button next to "share" on the soundcloud player on the episode page.

That's been broken for a week! I made a post about it here and got a reply saying they're working on it, so who knows when it'll be back! I don't think I'll be getting an update in that thread, so hopefully someone will make a post about it on the main earwolf page (unlikely as heck) or on the forums (still unlikely). If not we'll just have to keep checking every day. In the meantime, it's a nice way to build up a cornucopia of unlistened podcasts while some of us are forced to listen to music at work. (Quelle horreur!)

• Like 1

That's been broken for a week!

The text that says "Download" doesn't work, but there's button in the SoundCloud player (to the left of the "Share" button) that will start a download when clicked.

CTEu0jJUcAA1DVd.png

I made a post about it here and got a reply saying they're working on it, so who knows when it'll be back! I don't think I'll be getting an update in that thread, so hopefully someone will make a post about it on the main earwolf page (unlikely as heck) or on the forums (still unlikely).

This appears to be the product of an unannounced change on the SoundCloud end, and is affecting plenty of other podcasts, e.g. 99% Invisible. If/when it's fixed, there will be an update.

How are you complaining about not getting updates after I responded to your initial post within two hours?

The text that says "Download" doesn't work, but there's button in the SoundCloud player (to the left of the "Share" button) that will start a download when clicked.

CTEu0jJUcAA1DVd.png

This appears to be the product of an unannounced change on the SoundCloud end, and is affecting plenty of other podcasts, e.g. 99% Invisible. If/when it's fixed, there will be an update.

How are you complaining about not getting updates after I responded to your initial post within two hours?

Oh I didn't know about that download link under the soundcloud icon! That's great!

Also I'm sorry for any confusion but I was most certainly not complaining about a lack of response in the "can't download thread". In fact, your fast response in that thread was very much appreciated and I believe I even made a post saying as much.

What I had meant is that if and when the download button has restored functionality, I wasn't expecting there to be any kind of update in that thread or on the main earwolf page. It was most certainly not a dig at you or anyone else, and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Thanks Dan! You've helped me twice already since I signed up for these forums and I'm sorry for any confusion/grief I might have caused x_x You do a great job as a moderator and don't need any further headaches from a confused rube such as myself.

somethin strange is happening to this podcast, & i hope it's just to set up some sort of surprise twist; twists are good! but the way they've been talkin lately doesn't feel natural. something's afoot.