🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 276 — Bruges Traveler

Randy and Jason discuss why fans with court side seats should never look away from the game and a baseball player who admits to breaking the rules in hopes of getting a walk. Then, the Sklars welcome Derek Waters of Comedy Central’s Drunk History who speaks about the art of directing the intoxicated, as well as the dark underbelly of backup vocals in the 90’s. Additionally, the gang talks about Dez Bryant’s monkey, a man that’s cool with the gays so long as they’re never around, and the new sport of “joggling.” Lastly, Michael Kotz leaves a voicemail to shed light on growing up with legs in a legless family.

I always thought the "OH!" in "Unbelievable" was a Dice sample; Wikipedia confirms - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbelievable_%28EMF_song%29

The song contains samples of US comedian Andrew Dice Clay throughout the track, including the loud exclamation of "oh!" at the start of each chorus along with the words "you're unbelievable" spoken during the bridge.

I just saw a commercial for Creed and it got me thinking about the whole Rocky accent thing. Stallone is from NY and always talks like that, so he wasn't doing an accent, and obviously wasn't trying to do a Philly accent. But he wrote the movie himself, and insisted on playing the lead himself as a condition of selling the script to the studio (to the extent that he took less money for it). SO WHY IS ROCKY FROM PHILLY? According to Wikipedia (you guys are causing me to learn a lot today)...

"The film draws inspiration from the careers of at least three boxers."

The first two are Rocky Marciano and Chuck Wepner. "The Philadelphia setting and details of training (including using sides of beef) come from the life of Joe Frazier."

So he liked the beef thing and/or Frazier so much that he decided to set it in Philly at the expense of an incongruous accent? And they got a bunch of other actors from NY also doing NY accents so he wouldn't sound weird, or something? This is giving me a headache, someone get me a wudder ice.

• Like 1

We are now doing the Why isn't Rocky doing a Philly accent in our stand up as a way to sneak Phiwee Guy into the act. We tried it in Denver and got a great response. Hopefully we can hone it and it will be on our next special.

Sign in to follow this