🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 122.5 - Minisode 122.5

I believe he's going to be on the next James Bonding as well. At least, he was supposed to be going to see Spectre w/ Matt & Matt, so I can only assume...

I know they asked everyone who has been on an ep before so we might have an all-star James Bonding coming up!

• Like 5

If I may continue the Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen love-fest from earlier, FUCK YES, they are two of my favorite writers right now. From Aaron's Star Wars, Southern Bastards, his Weirdworld 'Secret Wars' tie-in to Gillen's Darth Vader, Wicker and Divine, and Phonogram, they get it done both with the Big Properties and the indies.

Also, I really enjoyed the look of the desiccated corpses in Lifeforce. There was just something unsettling about them being a puppet and not an actor in makeup, combined with the mummified skin contrasting with the near-perfect eyeballs. It was just... weird-looking and I've never seen anything quite like it. Maybe the closest analogue would be some of the zombie puppets in Return of the Living Dead.

return-of-the-living-dead-half-zombie-740x493.png

• Like 2

But those 18 minutes are jam-packed with some sweet space vampire possession-fueled sexual tension!

For Sir Patrick, between Henry V and King Lear, there was LIFEFORCE!

• Like 4

Patrick Stewart is only in Lifeforce for 18 mins?!

You should of used the spoiler tag for Patrick Stewart because he stole this movie for me. he has a screen stealing moment in it that just is amazing. and because of that this movie belongs on another podcast, called thank god this got made because I loved this movie.

aenw5i.jpg

• Like 2

and now after thinking about lifeforce, it makes me understand stawars episode three better.

1zfpumt.jpg

that's a good

29ernvb.jpg

If you have not seen lifeforce yet then i'll warn you there is a lot of booby traps in this movie...LOL

so much so that the wikipedia page on the subject should have lifeforce added to the page as en example.

• Like 5

You should of used the spoiler tag for Patrick Stewart because he stole this movie for me. he has a screen stealing moment in it that just is amazing. and because of that this movie belongs on another podcast, called thank god this got made because I loved this movie.

aenw5i.jpg

For real, Sir Pat's acting in this movie simultaneously made me (literally) laugh out loud and cringe in horror. It wasn't the scene in the spoiler so we can save that discussion for the actual ep.

Sidenote: Just returned from seeing Spectre!!!!!!! (emphasis mine). Super excited for the episode especially if Paul is joining in on the fun. I'm going to re-listen to his episode right now.

If Vanessa Ramos (You Only LIve Twice) comes back (unlikely), they could have had an MMVP episode. She had the only "V" name for the acronym...I'll see myself out.

• Like 4

If you have not seen life force yet then i'll warn you there is a lot of booby traps in this movie...LOL

so much so that the wikipedia page on the subject should have lifeforce added to the page as en example.

I don't remember--was there nudity in this movie? I must have tuned out for a minute or two. Oh well, how much could I have missed?

• Like 2

For real, Sir Pat's acting in this movie simultaneously made me (literally) laugh out loud and cringe in horror. It wasn't the scene in the spoiler so we can save that discussion for the actual ep.

Sidenote: Just returned from seeing Spectre!!!!!!! (emphasis mine). Super excited for the episode especially if Paul is joining in on the fun. I'm going to re-listen to his episode right now.

If Vanessa Ramos (You Only LIve Twice) comes back (unlikely), they could have had an MMVP episode. She had the only "V" name for the acronym...I'll see myself out.

what I was meaning by that was if you didn't know he was in the film the better the surprise would be. because i didn't know Patrick Stewart was in it and when he came up on screen it made me laugh too and smile. I also liked seeing the guy from clockwork orange. I think that was Alex's stepdad, can't remember that actors name.90% sure it was him. also the film is marketed as being directed by Tobe Hooper of Poltergist and you can see that same style of film making in Lifeforce.

what podcast are you talking about btw?

I am a little slow and out of it, it's been a long day.

what podcast are you talking about btw?

I am a little slow and out of it, it's been a long day.

The James Bonding podcast on Nerdist. Matts Gourley and Mira go through the entire catalogue of James Bond movies

They did a cross over episode with HDTGM with A View to A Kill

• Like 3

If I may continue the Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen love-fest from earlier, FUCK YES, they are two of my favorite writers right now. From Aaron's Star Wars, Southern Bastards, his Weirdworld 'Secret Wars' tie-in to Gillen's Darth Vader, Wicker and Divine, and Phonogram, they get it done both with the Big Properties and the indies

I forgot about Weirdworld. That was so good. Fantastic art too. One of the few good Secret Wars tie-ins.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to add regarding the Star Wars comics. I'm more or less waiting for the inevitable collected edition--which have been my jam recently.

Currently, I'm reading Avengers Omnibus HC Vol. 2. Granted, the stories are pretty facile when compared to modern comics, but the letters columns are a thing of wonder. Not only do you see letters from future comic book writers like Kurt Busiek (Astro City), but you really see how little and how much has changed. For instance, the letter writers complain about decompressed storytelling in 1967 because a storyline stretched TWO whole issues! Also, there are multiple letters from people who wanted to dump Hawkeye for being too much of a hothead and not a "hero" enough and how they would have liked him to be replaced by Spider-man--an event that finally happened during Bendis' run of New Avengers 30 years later to fan uproar. It's just amazing how these comics were so progressive (for instance, the Serpent Society, whom Fox news just recently had issue with, was first introduced during this run) and so backward ass (The Black Widow wants to retire so she can get married to Hawkeye and have them babies) at the same time.

• Like 2

Kind of quiet in here today, so I thought I'd throw this out there for the forum to discuss...

When that scary, old Howl app was initially announced and our futures were oh-so-uncertain, I went ahead and downloaded a bunch of my favorite episodes. I figured that if I didn't subscribe to Howl (I did) I would at least have access to them all before they went behind the paywall. The upshot of this was when I downloaded all of these shows, including the entire HDTGM catalog, they all appeared on my phone as "unplayed." Well, as you can imagine, I couldn't have that. So, instead of just marking them all as played, I've been listening back to all the old HDTGM episodes (including mini's). Consequently, I'm hearing episodes that I haven't heard in a long, long time and I've been really enjoying it.

So here's the question: We all have our favorite episodes, and all of them have been great, but what--in your opinion--are the most UNDERRATED episodes? To clarify, this isn't the episode or episodes you'd point to to get a novice into HDTGM, but the ones you feel are great, but maybe don't get as much love as they deserve.

Currently, (and I'm working backward so this could very well change as I re-listen to these over the next couple of weeks) I would have to say my "hidden gem" would have to be Episode 83 Winter's Tale (w/ Andy Daly). When I re-listened to it, I realized I had totally forgotten Andy Daly had already been on HDTGM. When he was the guest for Maximum Overdrive, I remember thinking, "Well, it's about time..." Listening to them try to wrap their heads around the plot is so hilarious and the fact that the first ten minutes or so is devoted to Jason wanting to discuss the trailer for Blended (maybe the closest they'll ever come to covering an Adam Sandler movie) was a thing of beauty. The only real drawback was that it was a June-less episode, but I found it to be no less entertaining for her absence. I promise never to watch Winter's Tale simply because I don't believe it could ever live up to the expectations set by this episode.

So what did you guys think? What's the most underrated episode of HDTGM?

• Like 4

I think maybe "On The Line" is a bit underrated. Where does "From Justin to Kelly" and "Street Fighter" fall? Those may be my favorites overall.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed "Wild Wild West" as one of the earlier gems. Kevin Smith was such a great guest and had some amazing behind-the-scenes stories.

Although, I have to say that June's Monkeyshines breakdown was what made me fall in love with this podcast.

• Like 1

Listening to them try to wrap their heads around the plot is so hilarious and the fact that the first ten minutes or so is devoted to Jason wanting to discuss the trailer for Blended (maybe the closest they'll ever come to covering an Adam Sandler movie) was a thing of beauty.

The trailer discussion is one of my all-time favorite HDTGM moments.

Story time!

My friend got married earlier this year. He had moved away several years ago, and he met his wife while he was living in Seattle. Our schedules never worked out quite right when they came to Texas to visit, so I didn't meet her until the wedding. Due to her family basically screwing her over at the last minute, they ended up eloping. Chicago is one of their favorite cities, so we just went up there and had a vacation with a small group of our closest friends with a quick 15-minute ceremony during the middle of it.

Anyway, we went to dinner and grabbed some drinks the night before they got married. We started talking about movies, and she said that she doesn't really like "movies with conflict" in them (whatever that means). After some prodding, she finally told me that her favorite movie was Blended.

Naturally, I only knew of it because of Jason's fascination with the trailer. Literally no one else in our group had heard of it. So we ended up going back to their hotel room and watching this fucking movie. It's probably one of the few comedies I could see being on this show, but only if they change the name to "How Did This Get So Racist?"

I really enjoyed "Wild Wild West" as one of the earlier gems. Kevin Smith was such a great guest and had some amazing behind-the-scenes stories.

That was an EXCELLENT episode. I'm not a big fan of Kevin Smith, and I hadn't heard the story before. So when he started talking about the Superman movie and all of this other shit, it sounded like such a long, self-indulgent story that had no point to it. But when he got to the spider, it all clicked, and it was just incredible.

• Like 4

The Cannon Films logo would make a nice tattoo.$(KGrHqZHJFEFEkpJLTL0BRckGE7yug~~60_35.JPG

It always reminds me of the OCP logo from Robocop.

1267569430_top-10-evil-corporations_2.jpg

• Like 4

The episode I listen to the most on the reg is Staying Alive. I could listen to Jason yell-choreographing the audience all day. It also had the best audience questions of any episode ever, see: Choose Your Own Adventure book. I could listen to Paul's reaction "What" on a ten hour loop.

Close runners up are No Holds Barred, Deep Blue Sea and Devil's Advocate though. Looking at my choices, I may have a severe bias towards live episodes. I think people forget some of the amazing audience questions and that's what puts it Over The Top (pun intended) for me

• Like 2

It's a bit hard to say because some of the old ones I remember really liking I think are now considered classics or looked back upon often. So thinking of which ones I loved that I don't hear people talk about that much I would have to say... hmmm... The Odd Life of Timothy Green makes me laugh when they all basically confessed they liked the movie. I also remember laughing a lot to LOL and Color of Night. I would say those would be my "underrated" ones.

• Like 1

It always reminds me of the OCP logo from Robocop.

1267569430_top-10-evil-corporations_2.jpg

Maybe the production designer on Robocop worked with Canon and some point and hated them and his time there. When he was handed the script for Robocop he saw he needed to create a logo for a company called OCP who through shitty management are seen as the bad guys and was like "I think I have my inspiration."

• Like 3

Kind of quiet in here today, so I thought I'd throw this out there for the forum to discuss...

For me, I'd say Mac and Me. I feel like it was that ep that they kind of got their stride. Plus Adam Pally's awesome (oh ABC, how dumb you and your middle America audience are for not recognizing comedic genius with Happy Endings). But I digress, also Jingle All The Way comes to mind (is that considered underrated??). Oh and pretty much any ep with PFT (Smurfs?? Oh Smurfs, where did you go off to? Funny little Smurfs always disappearing.)

• Like 1

Currently, (and I'm working backward so this could very well change as I re-listen to these over the next couple of weeks) I would have to say my "hidden gem" would have to be Episode 83 Winter's Tale (w/ Andy Daly). When I re-listened to it, I realized I had totally forgotten Andy Daly had already been on HDTGM. When he was the guest for Maximum Overdrive, I remember thinking, "Well, it's about time..." Listening to them try to wrap their heads around the plot is so hilarious and the fact that the first ten minutes or so is devoted to Jason wanting to discuss the trailer for Blended (maybe the closest they'll ever come to covering an Adam Sandler movie) was a thing of beauty. The only real drawback was that it was a June-less episode, but I found it to be no less entertaining for her absence. I promise never to watch Winter's Tale simply because I don't believe it could ever live up to the expectations set by this episode.

Yes the Winter's Tale episode was EXCELLENT! Unfortunately you are correct in that the movie doesn't even live up to the expectations set. It's bonkers, yes, but way more boring than I expected while listening to them speak. It's so damn boring, y'all. Just continue to listen to that episode to fill that void.

Is Reindeer Games considered an underrated episode? Just cause that moment when they realize his name is Rudy and they all just start screaming hands down wins me over every time.

• Like 2