🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 122.5 - Minisode 122.5

You know, what was a great episode was "timothy green" episode of HDTGM, it was a movie I would of never in my life ever watch but when paul plays that clip from youtube with the kids crying. I laughed my ass off so hard. I'll never forget that moment. If you haven't seen the film yet, rent it on itunes right now and listen to the podcast afterwords.

I am planing to watch little boy now. it looks amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BdzqsIX6A

I believe this is total shit.

• Like 2

I love all your picks for most underrated episodes. I think I would qualify one or two of your picks as straight up classics, but there's really no right or wrong answer.

On another note, has anyone been checking in on this Shia LeBeof livestream thing? Holy cow, it's pretty amazing. I think my blood pressure has dropped a few points in the couple of minutes I checked in on it--it's like a freakin' lava lamp. If you have a minute today, and wish to improve your quality of life, I encourage everyone to check it out. I believe, as of this post, he is somewhere in the middle of Crystal Skull.

What are you all waiting for?

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I love all your picks for most underrated episodes. I think I would qualify one or two of your picks as straight up classics, but there's really no right or wrong answer.

On another note, has anyone been checking in on this Shia LeBeof livestream thing? Holy cow, it's pretty amazing. I think my blood pressure has dropped a few points in the couple of minutes I checked in on it--it's like a freakin' lava lamp. If you have a minute today, and wish to improve your quality of life, I encourage everyone to check it out. I believe, as of this post, he is somewhere in the middle of Crystal Skull.

giphy.gif

I think they're in Transformers now AND HE'S ASLEEP! STRAIGHT UP PASSED OUT AND I AM DYING!

• Like 4

giphy.gif

I set my alarm for when they get to Holes and am going to simul-watch them together. I loved that movie, it was my first introduction to Sigourney Weaver.

• Like 2

I set my alarm for when they get to Holes and am going to simul-watch them together. I loved that movie, it was my first introduction to Sigourney Weaver.

That hurts my heart.

But then again, she's been Dana Barrett to me for 30+ years.

• Like 2

That hurts my heart.

But then again, she's been Dana Barrett to me for 30+ years.

I had to google that name to be honest. Another fact that might get me kick off the forums: I've never watched Ghostbusters

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I got through about 7 parts on Youtube and called it quits, god this movie is horrible.

• Like 1

He did a great run on Punisher a few years back with Steve Dillon that fit right in with epic run that Garth Ennis had on the book.

Jason Aaron is an amazing writer and his Punisher Max run was a great and fitting end to that character, some of his other great work includes the amazing Scalped, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Southern Bastards.

Some other great comics I've read recently include Chrononauts by Mark Millar which is batshit crazy, Deadly Class by Rick Remender which is a great mix of violence, 80s culture and humor, Taskmaster by Fred Van Lente which is a series that I wish was expanded upon because Taskmaster is great untapped character in the Marvel Universe, and Curse by Michael Moreci which might be one of the best werewolf stories (graphic or otherwise) that I've ever read.

• Like 3

Jason Aaron is an amazing writer and his Punisher Max run was a great and fitting end to that character, some of his other great work includes the amazing Scalped, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Southern Bastards.

Some other great comics I've read recently include Chrononauts by Mark Millar which is batshit crazy, Deadly Class by Rick Remender which is a great mix of violence, 80s culture and humor, Taskmaster by Fred Van Lente which is a series that I wish was expanded upon because Taskmaster is great untapped character in the Marvel Universe, and Curse by Michael Moreci which might be one of the best werewolf stories (graphic or otherwise) that I've ever read.

I binged on "Scalped" last year when Barnes and Noble was doing one of their Marvel/DC "3 for 2" graphic novel sales, which they're doing again right now. Between that, online discounts, and coupons, I think I managed to pick up the whole run for less than half of the cover price and then turned around and E-Bayed it off for about the same price when I was done. It was a good series, and I might pick up the hardcovers they've been putting out. "Chrononauts" was fun, and I'm a big fan of Millar's kind of one-and-done mini series/movie pitches. "Starlight" was really, really good too, and I could see it being made into a pretty great all-ages sci-fi film. It's kind of like "Flash Gordon" mixed with "The Incredibles".

• Like 2

I binged on "Scalped" last year when Barnes and Noble was doing one of their Marvel/DC "3 for 2" graphic novel sales, which they're doing again right now. Between that, online discounts, and coupons, I think I managed to pick up the whole run for less than half of the cover price and then turned around and E-Bayed it off for about the same price when I was done. It was a good series, and I might pick up the hardcovers they've been putting out. "Chrononauts" was fun, and I'm a big fan of Millar's kind of one-and-done mini series/movie pitches. "Starlight" was really, really good too, and I could see it being made into a pretty great all-ages sci-fi film. It's kind of like "Flash Gordon" mixed with "The Incredibles".

Yeah I've just re-read Starlight and it still holds up and could definitely see it as a movie starring De Niro in the lead role. I myself love Millar's work, though I haven't read American Jesus yet. His Jupiter series is really good too and Frank Quitely's art in Jupiter's Legacy is amazing as always. I loved Scalped as it was basically a couple seasons of The Wire set on an Indian reservation, even the final issue follows the same premise of Wire's finale. Another great one off I read was Sexcastle by Kyle Starks which is basically every 80s action movie rolled up into one and sprinkled with crack.

Two other series I am really digging right now are Nailbiter by Joshua Williamson which is a great serial killer thriller concerning a town that has birthed 16 serial killers and The Humans by Keenan Marshall Keller which is basically Planet of the Apes meets Sons of Anarchy in a dystopian wasteland.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Seriously I am currently caught in this. It's weirdly mesmerizing. Constantine is going to start in about 20 and I'm all in at this point

• Like 4

I had to google that name to be honest. Another fact that might get me kick off the forums: I've never watched Ghostbusters

giphy.gif

I want you to watch it and tell us, mainly me, what you think. I am probably the most bias person on this movie. My parents taped it off TV when I was young and I watched it daily for like two years starting when I was in kindergarten. They never had to get a babysitter because they'd just put the tape on which also had Never Ending Story and Princess Bride on it as well and I would be still and motionless for six hours.

• Like 5

I want you to watch it and tell us, mainly me, what you think. I am probably the most bias person on this movie. My parents taped it off TV when I was young and I watched it daily for like two years starting when I was in kindergarten. They never had to get a babysitter because they'd just put the tape on which also had Never Ending Story and Princess Bride on it as well and I would be still and motionless for six hours.

I watched the shit out of Ghostbusters as a kid, too. Like you, my parents had taped it off TV; I still remember a lot of the mid-80s ads that were on the tape. I watched that movie sooo many times. But I just new the TV version, so when it came out on DVD, I was thoroughly surprised to learn that Ray Stantz gets a blowjob from a ghost.

And, not to berate EllenM, but it's always fascinating to me to see what pieces of pop culture others didn't see until they were adults (or still haven't seen). On BTTF day, I was talking to a good friend who told me she had never seen any of those movies. I used to date someone who didn't see Star Wars until she was in her early 30s (and pretty much hated it).

There are others that are staples of my childhood that I know others might not be familiar with. For example, Big Trouble in Little China is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I totally get it when people that aren't movie nerds say they haven't even heard of it.

So, I guess I'm curious what pop culture holes you guys have. Are there any really big movies that y'all haven't seen? Or ones that you saw waaaay late in life?

For me, it was Labyrinth. I still don't get the worship of that movie, but that might be because I saw it for the first time when I was 23. Despite being a huge Jim Henson fan, I had also never seen The Dark Crystal until around the same time. And The Dark Crystal is a much better movie. Maybe it's the songs from Labyrinth that make people love it so much? I don't know.

What do you guys got?

• Like 3

What do you guys got?

For me, probably mostly musicals like Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, etc. The only non-HDTGM musicals I have seen have been things from Troma or Trey & Matt from South Park and a few random ones like Sweeney Todd (which I didn't care for) and Little Shop of Horrors (which I do enjoy). Honestly I have less of a problem with suspending disbelief on something like there being a bee human soldier hybrid who can smell royalty than I do with everybody stopping what they're doing to perform a choreographed song and dance number. I think I just am not a fan of showtunes (with a few exceptions).

• Like 3

For me, probably mostly musicals like Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, etc. The only non-HDTGM musicals I have seen have been things from Troma or Trey & Matt from South Park and a few random ones like Sweeney Todd (which I didn't care for) and Little Shop of Horrors (which I do enjoy). Honestly I have less of a problem with suspending disbelief on something like there being a bee human soldier hybrid who can smell royalty than I do with everybody stopping what they're doing to perform a choreographed song and dance number. I think I just am not a fan of showtunes (with a few exceptions).

I'm guessing you didn't grow up watching any musicals? I was having a similar conversation with a friend recently, and I had grown up watching movie musicals like Mary Poppins and stuff. And my parents took my sister and me to go see stuff like Oklahoma, The King and I, and Brigadoon at this really awesome theater in our hometown. Because I grew up watching them, I really didn't think twice about huge musical numbers. He really hadn't seen many of them growing up, so he had a similar reaction as yours.

What about, like, Disney cartoons? Is it easier to suspend disbelief when a talking lion sings a song with a meerkat and a warthog?

• Like 1

Yeah, I am the oldest of three boys so we watched the shit out of the Rocky, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc series and JCVD movies. Honestly, I think we watched more of that stuff than even the Disney movies with songs. I probably didn't see The Little Mermaid until I was at least 14 and I don't know that I have seen The Lion King start to finish in one sitting. The only thing that I can think of is An American Tail and that version of Somewhere Out There still gets me vaklempt.

I think also, with musicals there is a bit of a cute wink and nod element to the songs that I am not a fan of.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed Lifeforce. There are some seriously confused plot points that'll be fun to talk about. The corpses in the movie were so awesome looking.....especially when they explode.

giphy.gif

I hope that he did nothing but apologize every single time Mutt Williams got on screen.

I've always liked her, but Galaxy Quest is where I fell in love with her. Galaxy Quest is, no joke, one of my favorite movies of all time.

sigourney-weaver-galaxy2.jpg

What do you guys got?

I would say my pop culture kung fu is pretty strong. Anything I missed when I was a kid, I caught up with at a young enough age to still appreciate it on some level. The only movie I can think of that I've never seen that people might think is crazy is Blade Runner. Ugh...I just can't express how little I care if I never see this movie. I mean, it should be in my wheel house, but I could honestly give a shit. If for nothing else, it just feels like too much work. Which version do I even watch? "Well, you got to see this version..." Let me stop you right there. I don't give a shit.

I will say I tried to watch it a couple of years ago. I gave it about five minutes and turned it off.

I hope that he did nothing but apologize every single time Mutt Williams got on screen.

No, but in his defense, most of these movies he's just watching with a stony gaze on his face, but there were a couple of times during Crystal Skull where he raised his eyebrows and rubbed his face like, "What the fuck is this?" He did not seem to be enjoying it at all.

I think he's watching Holes right now, and when I just checked in, it looked like he was kind of into it--which I can understand. I wonder what his reaction to the Even Stevens Movie was...

• Like 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BdzqsIX6A

I believe this is total shit.

Little boy, was good. oK it was unexpected but I cried like a baby by the end of that.

This tune is for you

I remember seeing South park the movie, bigger longer in Canada is a theater, it was one of the most greatest movie events of my life. it was such a strange feeling watching Americans make fun on Canadians about a movie that is making fun of movie theater chains and rating systems. we had a moment in that theater, the audience and the screen really could feel like it was connected.. something on the level of this

. wish I could find the Raiders of the Lost Ark line, it was down to a bank building up about a block up the street.
  • Like 2

I think I remember things NOT being a big deal more than I remember the things that actually were, because I think the popularity of a lot of that stuff picked up more of a cult following later on with the Internet, the affordability of DVD, and Hot Topic. For instance, I saw Labyrinth in theaters when I was 8, it left no impression on me whatsoever, it bombed, didn't even really seem to pop up on TV much, and then I didn't hear about it for years. What it had going for it though that Dark Crystal didn't have was David Bowie, and that fanbase has kind of kept it alive, so it's popularity can't exactly be attributed to the film itself. Nightmare Before Christmas was kind of the same way. I think I was 15 when that came out, and it didn't make any real impact at the time, but years later, if your pop culture knowledge came from seeing how much shit was for sale at the mall, you'd think it was the biggest movie ever.

As far as things I DID miss, I have two big pop culture blind spots from the summers of 1998 and 1999 when I was overseas for 3 months, but all I really seemed to miss was a boy band explosion that started and fizzled out, leaving only a couple of survivors in '98. In '99, I got back just in time for the wide release of Blair Witch, having been completely unaware of the hype surrounding it, so I managed to go in fresh.

Oh yeah, I also remember people REALLY not giving a shit about Big Liebowski at the time, which went away pretty fast.

• Like 2

I've always liked her, but Galaxy Quest is where I fell in love with her. Galaxy Quest is, no joke, one of my favorite movies of all time.

sigourney-weaver-galaxy2.jpg

There is nothing about Galaxy Quest that isn't perfect. Even George Takei lists it as one of the best Star Trek movies.

I would say my pop culture kung fu is pretty strong. Anything I missed when I was a kid, I caught up with at a young enough age to still appreciate it on some level. The only movie I can think of that I've never seen that people might think is crazy is Blade Runner. Ugh...I just can't express how little I care if I never see this movie. I mean, it should be in my wheel house, but I could honestly give a shit. If for nothing else, it just feels like too much work. Which version do I even watch? "Well, you got to see this version..." Let me stop you right there. I don't give a shit.

I will say I tried to watch it a couple of years ago. I gave it about five minutes and turned it off.

It's definitely a rough one to get through the first time. It really doesn't matter which version you watch because the changes to each version really only matter to those who are fans of the movie already. It's just sooooooo slow in the beginning. It takes a good 30-40 minutes before shit actually starts to happen. All the opening shit with the Voight-Kampff test and everything is important, but it's not super-compelling, which is one of the movie's biggest stumbling blocks.

• Like 1

I think I remember things NOT being a big deal more than I remember the things that actually were, because I think the popularity of a lot of that stuff picked up more of a cult following later on with the Internet, the affordability of DVD, and Hot Topic. For instance, I saw Labyrinth in theaters when I was 8, it left no impression on me whatsoever, it bombed, didn't even really seem to pop up on TV much, and then I didn't hear about it for years. What it had going for it though that Dark Crystal didn't have was David Bowie, and that fanbase has kind of kept it alive, so it's popularity can't exactly be attributed to the film itself. Nightmare Before Christmas was kind of the same way. I think I was 15 when that came out, and it didn't make any real impact at the time, but years later, if your pop culture knowledge came from seeing how much shit was for sale at the mall, you'd think it was the biggest movie ever.

As far as things I DID miss, I have two big pop culture blind spots from the summers of 1998 and 1999 when I was overseas for 3 months, but all I really seemed to miss was a boy band explosion that started and fizzled out, leaving only a couple of survivors in '98. In '99, I got back just in time for the wide release of Blair Witch, having been completely unaware of the hype surrounding it, so I managed to go in fresh.

Oh yeah, I also remember people REALLY not giving a shit about Big Liebowski at the time, which went away pretty fast.

I agree with you a bit, but also disagree with you. For instance, I don't think it's so much that they gained cult status through Hot Topic, the Internet, and DVD. That may have played a factor in it, but in many cases, I think one of the main reasons these things become cult hits is just through repetition and timing. I guess I'm a little younger than you, so your experience with, say, Labyrinth is different from mine. I'm too young to have seen Labyrinth in the theater, but I do remember my first exposure to it was in Middle School. I'm not sure how schools are now, but when I was a kid, at the end of the semester (especially the end of the year) the teachers would take a week or so to do everyone's grades and we would show up to class and just watch movies. For whatever reason, Labyrinth always seemed to be the movie of choice, and as we would goof around, it would be just running in the background. It wasn't until years later that I actually sat down to watch it from beginning to end--and years after that before I grew an appreciation for Mr. Bowie--and I loved it. I'm pretty sure a lot of my enjoyment of it comes, not from the fact that it's a good movie (which I kind of doubt), but because it brought back that association of being a kid and that feeling of "it's the last week of school." It's the same reason A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life, both flops when they were released, resonate with so many people. The fact that they both flopped made them cheap to put on TV. Therefore, they can be run ad nauseam during the Holidays, and when we watch them, they bring back (hopefully) happy memories of spending time with our family and loved ones. I would also include The Shawshank Redemption as benefiting from this "Holiday bump" as I think TNT always does like a 24hr marathon at Thanksgiving.

As far as movies like The Big Lebowski, I think a lot of times it's that they are genuinely good movies that flop simply because they are hard to sell. Once they are available to cheaply rent, especially in the old Blockbuster days, people would give them a shot just because. From there, word of mouth takes it the rest of the way. For me growing up, that movie was So I Married An Ax Murderer. Nobody saw that shit when it came out, but by the time I was in college, everyone I knew was quoting that fucking movie.

P.S. I've never seen The Big Lebowski and I have no plans to rectify that.

• Like 3

It's definitely a rough one to get through the first time. It really doesn't matter which version you watch because the changes to each version really only matter to those who are fans of the movie already. It's just sooooooo slow in the beginning. It takes a good 30-40 minutes before shit actually starts to happen. All the opening shit with the Voight-Kampff test and everything is important, but it's not super-compelling, which is one of the movie's biggest stumbling blocks.

Yeah, I get that. I think I've just grown impatient as I've gotten older and much more discerning of the media I absorb. When I was younger, I was much more apt to give a thing time to grow, but nowadays, it drives me crazy when I hear people say shit like, "Sense8 is great...if you can make it to episode three..." Motherfucking, fuck that! I only have so much free time, so if I'm going to spend time watching/listening/reading this thing, you better grab me from the first moment. If not, you're done.

When I was in college, I took a couple of Creative Writing courses, and often, when I would bring in whatever I was working on, my professor and I would spend an hour or more just on the first sentence--even going so far as to ask, "Why start this sentence with 'the?' That's a boring word, it doesn't mean anything." At the time, I didn't really get it, and frankly, it pissed me off a little bit. But now, I live by that shit.