🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 122.5 - Minisode 122.5

It's A Wonderful Life was basically public domain for the longest time from the late 50s until the 90s, which is why it was on anywhere and everywhere for the longest time, which burned it into the brains of everyone and accidentally made it a holiday classic.

• Like 1

What do you guys got?

I've only ever seen the first Indiana Jones movie and I can't even really remember what happened other than what's common knowledge in our culture. Also besides the Daniel Craig era I had never seen any James Bond movies until A View to a Kill lol. My coworker found this out and has since started letting me borrow his copies. Oh and super classics like Citizen Kane and Casablanca. Never seen em either.

I know there are more because people know that I am a film nerd and then will mention something that I haven't seen and act like I'm the worst film nerd ever. There are a lot of movies and only a finite amount of time to see all of them D:

• Like 3

Oh and super classics like Citizen Kane and Casablanca. Never seen em either.

I can relate.

Personally, I can't stand Casablanca. In my opinion, as far as Bogart goes, African Queen and The Maltese Falcon are the superior movies. I also own The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but I've never made the time to watch it.

Also, long ago, I rented Plan 9 From Outer Space and Citizen Kane in the same evening--I enjoyed Plan 9 much more.

• Like 3

Personally, I can't stand Casablanca. In my opinion, as far as Bogart goes, African Queen and The Maltese Falcon are the superior movies. I also own The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but I've never made the time to watch it.

Maltese Falcon is my jam.

• Like 2

I can relate.

Also, long ago, I rented Plan 9 From Outer Space and Citizen Kane in the same evening--I enjoyed Plan 9 much more.

See and I haven't seen anything else you just mentioned... I've seen a ton of classics but shit I need to step up my game!

• Like 1

I can relate.

then this is for you Cameron H, you have to watch it now.. "Casablanca"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQv7CUn54sE

When I was younger I loved SCTV, still do as you can tell. but they would do parody's of movies. One of them was Midnight cowboy. I never really got all of the jokes tell later on when I had forced myself to watch midnight cowboy this was years later and i really enjoyed it. Casablanca is a classic and if your in the right mood for it, I think you would really enjoy it. that's the key really is being in the right mood and frame of mind when watching a classic. other wise you'll just not let it have a chance. vertigo was that for me, I didn't really like it at first but years later I watched a cleaned up newly restored version and its one of my favorite movies of all time.

• Like 2

And, not to berate EllenM, but it's always fascinating to me to see what pieces of pop culture others didn't see until they were adults (or still haven't seen). On BTTF day, I was talking to a good friend who told me she had never seen any of those movies. I used to date someone who didn't see Star Wars until she was in her early 30s (and pretty much hated it).

What do you guys got?

Yeah I didn't see BTTF until last week, right after you guys all reminisced about it. That was the first time I felt guilty for not watching something, which was weird because you guys didn't pressure me at all.

I had a lot of free time in high school/undergrad, not going to parties or sportsing, so I spent a ton of time on Wikipedia and TvTropes looking up movies. This was way before streaming and a lot of these classics are unavailable on Canadian Netflix. I also gathered a lot from these movies again by cultural osmosis. My rationale was unless it had something really groundbreaking (camera styles for example), I could probably go without seeing it because it would take up time I could use to watch another movie.

I also have a real aversion to people telling me I have to watch something. Not that it'll get hyped up and I'm disappointed, but being forced to watch something even if it's objectively good. Part of the reason why I initially never watched Star Wars was because of a boyfriend who couldn't let go of the fact I hadn't seen it. He decided that we shouldn't watch it together because like Ted Mosby, he wasn't sure if he could handle the reality of my not enjoying it.

I'm guilty of this too though, I've probably pushed Rocky Horror Picture Show and Blazing Saddles on a number of people who weren't in on the premise and now they question my taste.

• Like 3

See and I haven't seen anything else you just mentioned... I've seen a ton of classics but shit I need to step up my game!

GO WATCH MALTESE FALCON NOW!!! (And then Last Crusade so you can say you've seen the good Indiana Jones movies)

Yeah I didn't see BTTF until last week, right after you guys all reminisced about it. That was the first time I felt guilty for not watching something, which was weird because you guys didn't pressure me at all.

I had a lot of free time in high school/undergrad, not going to parties or sportsing, so I spent a ton of time on Wikipedia and TvTropes looking up movies. This was way before streaming and a lot of these classics are unavailable on Canadian Netflix. I also gathered a lot from these movies again by cultural osmosis. My rationale was unless it had something really groundbreaking (camera styles for example), I could probably go without seeing it because it would take up time I could use to watch another movie.

I also have a real aversion to people telling me I have to watch something. Not that it'll get hyped up and I'm disappointed, but being forced to watch something even if it's objectively good. Part of the reason why I initially never watched Star Wars was because of a boyfriend who couldn't let go of the fact I hadn't seen it. He decided that we shouldn't watch it together because like Ted Mosby, he wasn't sure if he could handle the reality of my not enjoying it.

I'm guilty of this too though, I've probably pushed Rocky Horror Picture Show and Blazing Saddles on a number of people who weren't in on the premise and now they question my taste.

Yeah, I used to be that guy that would just be like, "OMGYOUHAVETOSEETHISRIGHTNOWHOLYSHITHOWHAVEYOUNOTSEENTHISMOVIE?!" But I started to realize how fucking annoying and pretentious it is. My friends know me as the movie nerd, so they'll often ask me about stuff, but I usually give suggestions and definitely avoid trying to cram it down people's throats.

And when someone tries to do it to me, I'll often specifically avoid that movie (part of why it took me a year to see It Follows).

The only thing I get really jazzed up about into a total raving lunatic is Sion Sono movies, but that's just because I want him to be bigger over here. If you haven't seen Why Don't You Play in Hell?, you should totally go check it out right now. Because it's amazing (as are Love Exposure, Cold Fish, and his latest one, Love & Peace). It's also streaming on Amazon Prime right now. He's one of the best filmmakers working at the moment, and I will preach Sono basically forever.

• Like 4

Yeah, I used to be that guy that would just be like, "OMGYOUHAVETOSEETHISRIGHTNOWHOLYSHITHOWHAVEYOUNOTSEENTHISMOVIE?!" But I started to realize how fucking annoying and pretentious it is.

GO WATCH MALTESE FALCON NOW!!! (And then Last Crusade so you can say you've seen the good Indiana Jones movies)

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Yeah, I used to be that guy that would just be like, "OMGYOUHAVETOSEETHISRIGHTNOWHOLYSHITHOWHAVEYOUNOTSEENTHISMOVIE?!" But I started to realize how fucking annoying and pretentious it is. My friends know me as the movie nerd, so they'll often ask me about stuff, but I usually give suggestions and definitely avoid trying to cram it down people's throats.

giphy.gif

But yeah, I still get you. It Follows is now on Netflix, so maybe I'll watch it this weekend.

• Like 4

I love Galaxy Quest and cannot wait for the show that they are making at Amazon, now I only wish that they will release the original R rated version just to see what that would have been like.

• Like 3

What do you guys got?

There are some I'm not ashamed to admit. I've not seen a lot of the classics of French New Wave cinema or most of Bergman's work. I feel like I should watch them but in no rush to go out and see them. They are the kind of thing that people throw around though and I would like to have seen them to claim a better understanding and film and technique and things like that. It always reminds me off when I saw Citizen Kane. I got it but didn't get it. I understood why it was important how it originated many story telling techniques and ways of shooting and what not. There are some amazing sequences in it, but at the end of the day I was like "Why is this the greatest film of all time? Why is this always the default number one?" In a historic context for what it did and started I get, but if just looked at as a film removing all that I don't see how it is that much better than other "classics".

That said there are two films that I feel great shame in never have seeing, mostly because of my age and what a place they hold in pop culture, are The Karate Kid or Rambo. Here's the weird part, I have seen every other Karate Kid but the first one. Why? Well saw 2 because living in Japan I was curious how it was portrayed and The Next Karate Kid, I saw at a sleepover growing up. As far as Rambo goes I have never seen any of them. Just never had any desire to see them. The most I ever saw of one was the parody in UHF and Hot Shots Part Deux. I think I get the idea and I'm good with that.

• Like 2

That said there are two films that I feel great shame in never have seeing, mostly because of my age and what a place they hold in pop culture, are The Karate Kid or Rambo. Here's the weird part, I have seen every other Karate Kid but the first one. Why? Well saw 2 because living in Japan I was curious how it was portrayed and The Next Karate Kid, I saw at a sleepover growing up. As far as Rambo goes I have never seen any of them. Just never had any desire to see them. The most I ever saw of one was the parody in UHF and Hot Shots Part Deux. I think I get the idea and I'm good with that.

I actually didn't see the Rambo movies until I was in my mid-20s, and I'm kind of glad it worked out that way. The first one is not what I expected at all. It's actually a really solid movie and isn't just the mindless murderfest that the sequels are (although I love 2 and 3 for their awfulness and almost exploitation-level violence). In fact, the body count is shockingly low for what's ostensibly an action movie. I really went into it expecting it to be silly, and even though there are some parts that are definitely silly - like basically anything Richard Crenna says - I was really surprised by how much I genuinely enjoyed the film.

Also, UHF is such a great film (that has held up surprisingly well), and the Rambo parody in it is almost exactly what happens in parts of Rambo II.

• Like 3

Believe it or not, the first Rambo movie is nothing at all like the sequels. The parodies you saw pretty much cover those, but the first one is about a small town police force that has let its power go to its head that happens to pick on the wrong man passing through their town. It's actually a pretty good movie.

• Like 2

...I have seen every other Karate Kid but the first one. Why? Well saw 2 because living in Japan I was curious how it was portrayed...

100% accurately, I'm sure.

As far as Rambo goes I have never seen any of them. Just never had any desire to see them. The most I ever saw of one was the parody in UHF and Hot Shots Part Deux. I think I get the idea and I'm good with that.

I never saw Rambo until a couple of years ago. I bought all of them on the cheap from a Blockbuster that was closing. I haven't watched the sequels yet, but I did watch the first one, and if your only exposure to them is from UHF and Hot Shots, I think you, as I was, will be very surprised. I'm not going to try and convince you that it's good (although I enjoyed it), but it was nothing like how I imagined it would be. The premise is less "one man army fighting a war" and more "A Bear Grylls-esque drifter suffering from PTSD walks into town, and the Sheriff wants him gone." I think the sequels are where they go off the rails.

Maybe this weekend we should all just say "fuck it" to Lifeforce, and each of us choose a movie we "need" to see and report back here with what we thought of it...

• Like 4

Wow, Landolph, Fister, and I were all over that Rambo thing...

Stay out of my head, guys!

• Like 4

This is a great example of why I usually "stick it out" far longer than I should. I'm always afraid that my preconceived notions will be wrong, or that I will be missing out on something. Of course I have probably wasted more time watching stuff that I ultimately didn't enjoy than things that I didn't expect to like, but enjoyed.

• Like 4

I'm glad I'm not alone in waiting forever to see Rambo. You guys have sold me on the first one, and next weekend I have an extra day off so I think I know what I'll be doing... that's right playing Fallout 4! Oh, and watching Rambo. Maybe when I can get some friends together I'll watch the sequels.

Also, Cameron H., Okinawa is kinda like Hawaii. Sure, it's part of the country but the citizenry sees it like some vacation resort and the way of life is a little different with unique language and customs. Overall the accuracy is about 100%. Oops, missed a decimal there. 10.0%. Yep, that's better. I remember once being told that Mister Baseball was the most accurate western depiction of Japan in a movie. Since I have not seen that movie since I was ten or so, I can't be sure of that. Maybe I'll rewatch that too.

Also, fun fact, Karate Kid is called "Best Kid" in Japan.

• Like 4

I remember once being told that Mister Baseball was the most accurate western depiction of Japan in a movie. Since I have not seen that movie since I was ten or so, I can't be sure of that. Maybe I'll rewatch that too.

Wait, so you're telling me that a white guy wasn't the last samurai?

• Like 2

Wait, so you're telling me that a white guy wasn't the last samurai?

It was, in fact it was literally Tom Cruise. He used the powers he gained from scientology to travel to feudal Japan and he dazzled the ancient world with his incredible super powers, his weird jittery mannerisms, super fast running and pale skin, thus being the inspiration for all anime. I believe his story was documented and used as the basis for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3.

• Like 4

Here's me going to work this morning after refreshing my feed a dozen times and not seeing a new episode...

charlie-brown-valentine-201.jpg

• Like 10

mauq2u.jpg

if it makes you feel better paul, my eyes feel like they are going to fall out of my head in pain from the eye strain that this has caused me.

• Like 6

And just to tie Karate Kid together with HDTGM

• Like 4