🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 258 — Spit It and Quit It

This week, Howard poses the age old question of whether or not one should breast feed a monkey in order to save it's life. Additionally, the gang discusses the missteps of the latest bond movie, hummingbirds, and Kulap's experience as a location scout for her latest project. Later, Kether Donohue of You're the Worst stops by to talk about why her commitment to a single bit was the very thing to jump start her career.

Ahem... that should be Kether Donohue... not Heather Donahue. Its an understandable mistake. But if you knew how great and funny she is on "You're the Worst", you wouldn't make that mistake.

Howard is so fucking funny. I really wish he'd do a solo podcast or one with just him and stard.

• Like 1

I would love it if they could find a way to spend more time with the guest. Would it be too awkward to have the guest sit in on the first two charts and comment? It wouldn't be too different from the old format when Who Charted prime would sometimes detour into a Howard or Kulap story. Just seems like the guest portion got short-changed with the new format.

Howard is so fucking funny. I really wish he'd do a solo podcast or one with just him and stard.

Well going by what Wie was alluding to at the end of his chart, something in the pod world is a-brewin.

And the guest was funny and all but holy balls her voice is annoying.

I would love it if they could find a way to spend more time with the guest. Would it be too awkward to have the guest sit in on the first two charts and comment? It wouldn't be too different from the old format when Who Charted prime would sometimes detour into a Howard or Kulap story. Just seems like the guest portion got short-changed with the new format.

I'm also in this camp. Just go back to normal Whoch format once a week.

People didn't like Two Charted because of the charts, they just want more of those two no matter what the context. Stories can be told with a guest there.

Jesus Christ, can Howard be the spokesperson for everything? Cause that would be amazing.

Great ep, probably my favorite with the new format.

"Monkeysplaining" and "Nut foam" are some great new entries in the Whooch lexicon.

I just clicked on the Comedy Bang Bang thread for this week, and some dude is complaining about Betsy Sodaro's voice in the first page or two. It's just such a predictable, boring, unnecessary thing to say.

And yes I'm sure in the history of time, a man's voice has been criticized, but I mean I can't really come up with an example?

I'm also in this camp. Just go back to normal Whoch format once a week.

People didn't like Two Charted because of the charts, they just want more of those two no matter what the context. Stories can be told with a guest there.

Kulap explained that they dropped Twooch because of her time constraints. Also, I loved Twooch more than Whooch. To me the guests could be hit or miss (more miss than hit), but I could listen to Howard just ramble all day, which I felt he got to do more of on Twooch.

"What about a hummingbird?" -Howard Kremer

...And yes I'm sure in the history of time, a man's voice has been criticized, but I mean I can't really come up with an example?

Steve-O on this very podcast is a great example. To this day, I haven't made it through that episode, due solely to his voice.

And whether or not you liked Kether's voice, who the hell thinks she sounds southern? I would have guessed Californian. Although, she does sound a lot like Abby and/or Bridey Elliott, who were apparently raised in Connecticut. So there you go.

P. S. : Please tweak the format so the guest gets more time. I mean, she herself mentioned how short it was. Thanks!

Okay sorry, I said it last week, and I gotta say it again: The guest was delightful and her segment was way too short. Kether herself actually objected to being ushered off so soon. She wanted to hang out! Sorry gang ... I love all of you but as a longtime chartist I gotta say whatever it is I just said. What did i just say?

I just clicked on the Comedy Bang Bang thread for this week, and some dude is complaining about Betsy Sodaro's voice in the first page or two. It's just such a predictable, boring, unnecessary thing to say.

Betsy Sodaro? I love her voice. I'm surprised she doesn't do more cartoon voice work.

Ugh, for real? A man has never had his voice criticized? It's an audio format, we can comment on how things sound.

I'm with you, I made fun of Jersey Shore cast member voices years back, and this guest voice was right in that vein. To me, it sounded like she puts forth the character of that loud girl at a party who needs to sound the loudest and drunkest even if she hasn't had a drink yet. Let's just say I felt that she was likely perfectly cast on a show with that name.

I'm not perfect, I talk way too much sometimes, and I get vocal criticism so I'll give it too. I'm not going to feel like I'm being sexist, because Howard has a weird as hell voice too, the difference is that I enjoy it and it brings me happiness rather than rolling my eyes at no one

I thought Kether was hilarious, I would have liked to hear more from her.

I don't see why Howard can't just just do a regular Whooch with a guest. Stard can be the co-host/explainer-of-Howard-to-the-guest. Then Kulap could come on for just Tooch.

I don't see why Howard can't just just do a regular Whooch with a guest. Stard can be the co-host/explainer-of-Howard-to-the-guest. Then Kulap could come on for just Tooch.

I feel like the answer to this is because he would never book a guest if left to his own devices :)

I'm with you, I made fun of Jersey Shore cast member voices years back, and this guest voice was right in that vein. To me, it sounded like she puts forth the character of that loud girl at a party who needs to sound the loudest and drunkest even if she hasn't had a drink yet. Let's just say I felt that she was likely perfectly cast on a show with that name.

I'm not perfect, I talk way too much sometimes, and I get vocal criticism so I'll give it too. I'm not going to feel like I'm being sexist, because Howard has a weird as hell voice too, the difference is that I enjoy it and it brings me happiness rather than rolling my eyes at no one

But...that does come off as a little sexist, right? You're saying a man's "weird as hell" voice doesn't bother you, but this woman's voice does.

It's okay to not love certain people's voices, but it's a problem when huge groups of women are not taken seriously because their voice has vocal fry or they uptalk. It should be the content of what a person is saying that matters.

(This is also my only problem with Lake Bell's otherwise wonderful "In A World")

But...that does come off as a little sexist, right? You're saying a man's "weird as hell" voice doesn't bother you, but this woman's voice does.

It's okay to not love certain people's voices, but it's a problem when huge groups of women are not taken seriously because their voice has vocal fry or they uptalk. It should be the content of what a person is saying that matters.

(This is also my only problem with Lake Bell's otherwise wonderful "In A World")

So its sexist because I happen to be highly annoyed with a woman's voice and think that a man in the same room, containing 3 other people, has a weird voice but I don't find it annoying?

side note, I think that this particular woman doesn't want to be taken 'seriously' because she seemed set on displaying what a "crazy chick" she is, she's a comedic actress, and what I found annoying about her voice was heightened at certain times and completely not present at others, which tells me its a bit of a character that she enjoys playing.

Is it a problem that Howard's voice makes it hard to take him seriously? I guess not, he has a dick

side note, I think that this particular woman doesn't want to be taken 'seriously' because she seemed set on displaying what a "crazy chick" she is, she's a comedic actress, and what I found annoying about her voice was heightened at certain times and completely not present at others, which tells me its a bit of a character that she enjoys playing.

Sexist or not, you're presuming an awful lot about a person based on one half-hour interview. But yeah, how dare she try to be funny on a comedy podcast?

But yeah, how dare she try to be funny on a comedy podcast?

Really? When did I say anything like this? I'm allowed to have my opinion but its completely unfair and foolish and moronic to just pretend people have points of view that you made up

You seem to think that the only way she can try to be funny is by putting on a crazy voice and being so out there, and I think thats incredibly foolish and sexist. Women can be naturally funny and great storytellers just as well as men can be, so why don't you update your point of view.

Everyone doesn't have to like everything, except on the earwolf forums, where negative opinons no matter how shared... are never welcome