🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I think I saw that in the theater with my dad when I was like 8 or something. The name always stuck with me but I can't for the life of me remember a single thing about the movie. That scene sounds amazing though.

I refuse to accept that the only Bryan Brown movie this podcast will cover will be Gods of Egypt and not this or Cocktails.

• Like 1

He's just like Indiana Jones, except that instead of a bullwhip he uses a body-suit controlled ROBOT CLOWN. It's the ultimate Mantzoukas Nightmare Fuel.

• Like 4

That clown fight! Do this movie! This movie was more fantasy than the first one. It has like 2 or 3 robots in the movie. It gets crazy.

I refuse to accept that the only Bryan Brown movie this podcast will cover will be Gods of Egypt and not this or Cocktails.

How has Cocktail not been done? Does June have a special place in her heart for it? Too easy of a film to skewer?

Looks like a pretty spectacular fall in quality from F/X to F/X2. I haven't seen either, but a Rotten Tomato drop from 86% to 31% has me intrigued.

I think I saw that in the theater with my dad when I was like 8 or something. The name always stuck with me but I can't for the life of me remember a single thing about the movie. That scene sounds amazing though.

Similar story here, all I remember was the robot clown

Wait no one has talked about the cross dressing terminator opening of the movie! That is bonkers! It's a fake movie being filmed. Nothing about it makes any sense. Did the writers think hey what's the craziest thing we can make. Here's the clip I found. I don't know how to explain it without sounding insane.

Brian Dennehy is the perfect illustration, I think, of when you're hired for a first movie as a serious actor:

brian-dennehy-fx-25-35.jpg

And for the sequel, your agent convinces you that you're a movie star now and should look and play it that way and make those big happy sequel bucks.

fx-2-1991-the-deadly-art-of-illusion-alt-brian-dennehy-fx2-005foh-BKCYXB.jpg

This is apparently a dad movie, because that's who I saw this with. He rarely took me to movies or even watched them with me, so he must have really enjoyed the first one or something.

The robot clown stuck with me and years later I could not remember the name of the goddamn film. Back in early internet days (yahoo/altavista/lycos, when "google" wasn't a verb) I remember trying to find this film using every possible keywords I could think of. Of course it turned out to have one of the most search engine unfriendly titles ever.

Brian Dennehy is on the shortlist of guys who nearly became Gary Busey, along with Bruce Dern and Stacy Keach.

• Like 2

This is apparently a dad movie, because that's who I saw this with. He rarely took me to movies or even watched them with me, so he must have really enjoyed the first one or something.

The robot clown stuck with me and years later I could not remember the name of the goddamn film. Back in early internet days (yahoo/altavista/lycos, when "google" wasn't a verb) I remember trying to find this film using every possible keywords I could think of. Of course it turned out to have one of the most search engine unfriendly titles ever.

Brian Dennehy is on the shortlist of guys who nearly became Gary Busey, along with Bruce Deen and Stacy Keach.

The only was I was able to search for this thread again was by searching for Cannoli.

How has Cocktail not been done? Does June have a special place in her heart for it? Too easy of a film to skewer?

Looks like a pretty spectacular fall in quality from F/X to F/X2. I haven't seen either, but a Rotten Tomato drop from 86% to 31% has me intrigued.

The first one was a bit more believable in terms of the special effects they used, the second tossed logic out the window because the director was super stoked on his robotic clown idea.

The second one also had some nonsense subplot about lost Vatican gold as well.

The second one also had some nonsense subplot about lost Vatican gold as well.

The crazy thing is that the lost Vatican gold WAS the plot - it was the McGuffin the whole conspiracy was ultimately about; not that it's at all easy to make sense of that when your hero is Macgyvering baked beans into an assassin-deterrent.

I definitely saw this in the theater as a young idiot and loved it. Only thing I remember now was the nightmare clown and that there was maybe a brief glimpse of some breasts in a shower. Robot clowns and tatties, could there be a better film for Zooks to dissect?

The crazy cross-dressing terminator was referred to by the filmmakers as "Roboslut". Check out this interview with the actual special effects supervisor on F/X2, who refers to himself as "the Norman Schwarzkopf of effects," whatever that means.

http://www.ew.com/article/1991/05/31/eric-allard-effects-man

I like that Bluey the robot clown was played by mimes. It's like you peel the skin off one nightmare, and another nightmare is underneath it. I wonder what horrors are inside the mimes?

• Like 1

That poster makes it seem like the clown and bryan brown are in some dangerous love affair that threatens to destroy the world, and that apparently Brian Dennehey needs to rescue a woman and young boy from it.

• Like 1

That poster makes it seem like the clown and bryan brown are in some dangerous love affair that threatens to destroy the world, and that apparently Brian Dennehey needs to rescue a woman and young boy from it.

I totally agree!

Not only does Bryan Brown look like a fucking psycopath, but Dennehey is even pointing his gun at Bryan Brown. I dont think theres anyone could look at that poster without seeing this movie and not think that Brown was the villian.

I totally buy the poster selling this as a man/robot clown love story. The composition recalls this classic romance:

matchmadeinspace-artimg.jpg