🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 123 - Lifeforce

On an unrelated note, can we put spoiler tags around dick-shaped things?

463px-We_Can_Do_It!.jpg

(I fixed the offending post above.)

• Like 5

Really good episode! Enjoyed Lennon as a guest a lot. I MUCH prefer her over June

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Since this is the thing we're doing...

Really good episode! Enjoyed Lennon as a guest a lot. I MUCH prefer her over June

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but the woman whose boobies that Jason loves, Mathilda May, was in a foreign film that as the translated title of "The Tit and the Moon." According to Wikipedia, it is "about a nine-year-old boy's obsession with women's breasts. Tete becomes jealous of his baby brother who is breast fed by their mother. Tete goes on a personal mission to find the perfect pair of lactating breasts to feed on."

May I suggest a remake of this movie, but instead of a nine-year-old boy, it's Jason?

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but the woman whose boobies that Jason loves, Mathilda May, was in a foreign film that as the translated title of "The Tit and the Moon." According to Wikipedia, it is "about a nine-year-old boy's obsession with women's breasts. Tete becomes jealous of his baby brother who is breast fed by their mother. Tete goes on a personal mission to find the perfect pair of lactating breasts to feed on."

Someone did mention it. Her name is Lennon Parham.

• Like 9

I'm a little miffed by the overall outrage over the 5 Star reviewer who "watched with the kiddos". First, I'm sure he didn't mean "with my 6 year olds" and the kids were probably of a reasonable age. 13 is around the age my favorite movies would have included Aliens, Predator, Lifeforce, and Heavy Metal (all R). I think the takeaway is he watched it WITH his kids and was available for Parental Guidance. What's even more strange is the nudity seemed to be the bigger issue. It's funny that we (Americans, mostly) have such a sex-bad violence-okay mindset in our ratings/censorship (which I think Zardoz pokes fun of - and that was 40 years ago). I think the content kids can look at on the smartphones they seem to be born with is far more damaging than seeing Mathilda May's natural, nude figure.

• Like 3

Someone did mention it. Her name is Lennon Parham.

Gah! That's what I get for posting before I've finished listening to the whole episode!

• Like 2

I'm a little miffed by the overall outrage over the 5 Star reviewer who "watched with the kiddos". First, I'm sure he didn't mean "with my 6 year olds" and the kids were probably of a reasonable age. 13 is around the age my favorite movies would have included Aliens, Predator, Lifeforce, and Heavy Metal (all R). I think the takeaway is he watched it WITH his kids and was available for Parental Guidance. What's even more strange is the nudity seemed to be the bigger issue. It's funny that we (Americans, mostly) have such a sex-bad violence-okay mindset in our ratings/censorship (which I think Zardoz pokes fun of - and that was 40 years ago). I think the content kids can look at on the smartphones they seem to be born with is far more damaging than seeing Mathilda May's natural, nude figure.

While I am in no way "miffed" over their outrage (In my opinion, people are free to be outraged over whatever they want as long as they keep that shit to themselves), I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, I started watching this movie with my 3 year old in the room, and only turned it off because he wanted to play with me. And while I'm sure many would disagree with me, I don't really think there's anything particularly objectionable in the movie. Now don't get me wrong, if the movie scared him due to the withered vampire monsters or whatever, I'd have turned it right off, but I can't express to you how little he gave a shit about what was happening on the screen.

They're just breasts, guys. Let's all relax. (I'm looking at you Zouks...)

The only reason breasts are sexualized at all is due to manufactured societal taboos. What is the absolute worst thing that can happen if my son sees a naked woman? He might ask me why her body is different than his? He might become so comfortable with the female form that things like the size and shape of a woman's breasts become meaningless, non-issues--so much so that when he gets older he'll be able to look beyond the physical and judge a person for who they are on the inside? What a fucking tragedy that would be..In any event, I sincerely doubt his seeing a naked woman is going to make him some kind of sexual deviant.

Honestly, aside from two extremely mediocre sex scenes (which, ironically, didn't show a lot of the nudity) there was very little that was erotic about this movie. She just sort of walks around blank faced and naked. Any sexuality imposed upon the actress is either a) the other actors telling us how sexual she is or b ) whatever the viewer assigns to her themselves.

And, for the record, count me among the offended that we didn't see any vampire dick in this movie-- I found the comically Austin Powers-esque lengths the film makers employed to cover the dudes' junk to be insulting.

• Like 5

Ha, yeah, miffed wasn't the best word choice. I wasn't genuinely bothered by it. Perplexed, maybe? Thanks for sharing that Cameron H. You were much better at conveying the heart of what I was aiming for. I appreciate that your approach on parenting is: parenting.

I think it's impossible to be erotic with all that forceful, open-eyed face sucking. Unless that's someone's thing?

• Like 2

June is everything I aspire to be and more. This is me every time she speaks

giphy.gif

#AllJuneEveryDay

• Like 11

463px-We_Can_Do_It!.jpg

(I fixed the offending post above.)

I apologize - i didnt know about spoiler tags. But Jason graphically described the image in the ep - did people also find that offensive?

I apologize - i didnt know about spoiler tags. But Jason graphically described the image in the ep - did people also find that offensive?

I didn't find anything about your image "offensive." However, many of us read these forums in semi-public places where we wouldn't necessarily want something that looks like a giant penis showing on our screen.

• Like 5

Paul likened the space vampire ship to a space artichoke. My first reaction was, "Wow, the artistic director was really going for a parasite vibe." The head of the ship looks totally like the head of a tapeworm. I could be off base but it jibes with the whole organic "InnerSpace" feel and foreshadows that what is inside will suck the life out of you, just like a tapeworm. Nom nom nom...

Side note, Lennon rocked it out.

Lifeforce-vampire-spaceship.png

ParadilepisScolex.jpg

• Like 1

I actually saw Lifeforce in its original run. I've seen it once since (I did not watch it before listening to this episode) and for some reason, there are two elements that stand out for me:

The nudity. Yeah, the first time I saw it, I was seventeen. I came out thinking that it was the most mature and sexually-aware nude space vampire flick I'd ever seen to date.

The exploding windows. For some reason, this image sticks out for me. I just thought that was the coolest effect--the huge explosion of glass, caused by... what, sheer nudity? I love exploding glass in movies. There's not enough of that, I think.

Also, I'm surprised the gang didn't make the connection: Jason mentioned Dan O'Bannon, who didn't have anything to do with the effects, but in fact wrote the screenplay. He also wrote Alien, which the gang did mention when comparing special effects. Connections everywhere.

Finally, Lifeforce is okay. But the poster is simply gorgeous.

June is everything I aspire to be and more. This is me every time she speaks

giphy.gif

#AllJuneEveryDay

as much as I missing june right now, thanks to you Ellen. I am really missing Jay Marks cartoon recreations of HDTGM

Now that just gives me a great idea.

iqeqo1.jpg

LETS HOPE THIS WORKS.

• Like 11

Does Lifeforce register as a metaphor for the AIDS crisis with anyone else? That's the lens from which have always viewed this crazy movie. Vampirism has always been linked to sexuality, but in Lifeforce seduction and sexual transmission is such a primary focus of the film, and that coupled with the physical representation of being a vampire (emaciatiation, sickness, bereft of Lifeforce aka immunity) and the hysteria following the outbreak seems to reflect the eras paranoia re: the AIDS crisis.

Did this resonant with anyone else?

as much as I missing june right now, thanks to you Ellen. I am really missing Jay Marks cartoon recreations of HDTGM

Now that just gives me a great idea.

iqeqo1.jpg

LETS HOPE THIS WORKS.

Did anyone else notice June's "Sleepaway Camp" homage at the beginning of "28 Days Later"?

• Like 2

In case anyone hasn't seen the Star Trek recut featuring the Lifeforce "Patrick Stewart scene"

Also I am not ashamed to admit that Mathilda May in this movie might have the most perfect boobs in all of movie history (holy crap though she was only 20 when this was made?).

T&A and somewhat aimless story aside, this was actually a freaky movie with fantastic practical effects and makeup. Almost seemed like a John Carpenter movie at times. Disagree that Alien puppet/suit work was better. It only worked there because they hardly ever showed the alien. When you finally saw it walk around at the end, it was obviously a rubber suit.

Regarding everyone looking older back in the 80s and earlier, one word: smoking.