🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

EPISODE 110 — Handbook East with Tom Scharpling

even though i just had what is probably gonna end up being one of my top lunches of the week, i couldn't stop thinkin about how good this episode was the whole time i was chewin up the good, good food. usually i can't think of anything but the food and its flavor - thoughts of it fill my whole head. but this week was different.

(chicken finger sandwich)

• Like 8

I think at first Sean just brought it up to pretend like he predicted the upset first, but then Hayes made it so it seemed like Sean was trying to establish an alibi for something. Hayes might've been trying to do something on the terror attack. Pretty dark but they did do that segment on Reality Show Show joking about the Boston Marathon bombings like the week after it happened. But he might have just been saying any sort of crime

Thanks. Just for the record - if I had listened a 2nd time, I totally would have gotten that.

• Like 5

"There's a show where Slimer and the ghost that blew Dan Ackroyd talk about what Times Square used to be like, before the M&M store I guess."

• Like 6

Hmm... I listened to it three times and I didn't clock that maybe Hayes hijacked the bit but btw the context does not support a terrorism thing but instead some kind of affair Sean might be having.

• Like 6

-----

Things to Do

1. Save His Life

2. Circumcise Him.

• Like 10

Hmm... I listened to it three times and I didn't clock that maybe Hayes hijacked the bit but btw the context does not support a terrorism thing but instead some kind of affair Sean might be having.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but when Sean brings up the wrestling (?) match, I thought Hayes was asking him if he's mentioning the upcoming event for the sole purpose of time stamping the phone call, and thus inquires if he's somewhere he's not supposed to be. I agree with thejjar - I think Hayes was implying that Sean wanted an alibi. However, I took this as Hayes just setting up an opportunity for he and Sean to improv about Sean doing something he's not supposed to be doing at that specific moment; I don't know if Hayes necessarily had a particular thing in mind.

• Like 8

OK. I'm officially digging Tom Scharpling's vibes. If I was wanting to check out Best Show, where's a good place to start?

I listened to the ep Hayes was on, it was really good

• Like 2

I was at a live taping of Wait Wait Don't Tell me about a month ago and Neil Degrasse Tyson called in and actually did make some references to smoking weed that I think they cut out of the radio broadcast. I think if Eggs tries a little bit harder he could really make DeGrasse is Greener a reality.

• Like 5

Yea Sean took it in the direction of an affair but I felt like Hayes was trying to lead it another way. I only say that because I felt that Hayes had that stifled nervous laughter he gets when he knows hens saying something that pushes the line ala "Oh you mean those kind of dogs". I gotta listen again though. Only listened once

• Like 5

I listened to the ep Hayes was on, it was really good

From the new post-WFMU Best Show, I would suggest the August 5 and August 12 episodes. In the first one, Tom has on a real lawyer to figure out what characters in TV shows and movies would be sentenced for their crimes. That episode also has Best Show mainstays Julie Klausner and Andy Kindler on it, as well as a Jon Wurster character.

On the Aug 12 show, Tom reveals to Jack Black what his School of Rock character would have been sentenced for his crimes, plus more great characters and calls.

These two shows can be found here: http://thebestshow.net/podcast/page/3/

The short answer is: just jump in. Like HH, every episode has something.

Also, once you get into the show, you can go over to the WFMU archives and check out 14 YEARS of great shows: https://wfmu.org/playlists/BS

• Like 7

OK. I'm officially digging Tom Scharpling's vibes. If I was wanting to check out Best Show, where's a good place to start?

Whoops. Replied to the wrong post. See my suggestions above.

• Like 2

As a very famous New York City off-broadway actor, this episode really hit close to home for me. I could practically see the lights, hear the crowd and feel the homeless man sneezing into my face outside of the theater as I wait for the venue director being late to unlock the front doors because she, "didn't anticipate the line at Chipotle being so long." NYC baby, the city of brotherly love! No other place that I'd like to be!!

• Like 20

Whoops. Replied to the wrong post. See my suggestions above.

Your post was still just as helpful x

• Like 2

No Sean-y, no PCG, I won't listen.

(Semi-permeable membranes, remember??? It's a play on "no ticky, no washy, you can't get in"...)

This post sucked. I'll readily accept the hit to my post-to-likes ratio.

Edited by DoctorFrog
  • Like 2

I was talking about basketball too you sexist pigs!

Great ep. Loved it.

Signed,

Eliza "Legend" Muffins

• Like 10

If you'd like to hear more classic Eggs Billy Joel chat, check out the Best Show Gems from March 18, 2013! It also features H Jon Benjamin and Wurster. Best Show Gems is how I got into the show at first, also--it's just good clips from shows (mostly Wurster calls, but not only that) and not a solid 3 hours of greatness.

https://wfmu.org/playlists/BD

• Like 5

I was talking about basketball too you sexist pigs!

Great ep. Loved it.

Signed,

Eliza "Legend" Muffins

thejjar acting like it was just him and norm, left my name out too. I will admit, it hurt.

With love,

Mike "The Truth" Bonetti

• Like 9

I was talking about basketball too you sexist pigs

Sorry

thejjar acting like it was just him and norm, left my name out too. I will admit, it hurt.

Sorry

• Like 8

ou8SEyR.png

shoulda quit while we were ahead.

• Like 21

From the new post-WFMU Best Show, I would suggest the August 5 and August 12 episodes. In the first one, Tom has on a real lawyer to figure out what characters in TV shows and movies would be sentenced for their crimes. That episode also has Best Show mainstays Julie Klausner and Andy Kindler on it, as well as a Jon Wurster character.

On the Aug 12 show, Tom reveals to Jack Black what his School of Rock character would have been sentenced for his crimes, plus more great characters and calls.

These two shows can be found here: http://thebestshow.net/podcast/page/3/

The short answer is: just jump in. Like HH, every episode has something.

Also, once you get into the show, you can go over to the WFMU archives and check out 14 YEARS of great shows: https://wfmu.org/playlists/BS

Oh, also, if you are reading this on a Tuesday, you can listen live from 9 pm to midnight EST at thebestshow.net

• Like 5