🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 123.5 - MINISODE 123.5

You asked for it and it's happening, next week we're going deep into the net with one of the most important computer films of all time, Hackers. This week Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Lifeforce, is joined by Jason to talk about whether or not Nic Cage would make Lifeforce better, and recommends a great Twitter feed & app during Scheer's Picks. Plus, Paul and Jason help HDTGM listeners with their problems and answer their Qs in a special segment called Help Us HDTGM!

Los Angeles: Grab your tickets now for How Did This Get Made? LIVE from Largo at the Coronet on January 23rd, 2 shows (8pm and 10:30pm)! Go to www.largo-la.com for tickets!

People of the internet: The League is back on FXX 10pm on Wednesdays! A while ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA and now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Sleeping With Other People in a theater near you!

The Hotwives (Casey Wilson, Danielle Schneider, Andrea Savage, Dannah Phirman, Tymberlee Hill, Angela Kinsey, Erinn Hayes) are back and this time they are in Vegas baby! Watch The Hotwives of Las Vegas on Hulu today!

Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, Paul in Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp on Netflix, all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, ScheeRL on YouTube here:

, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

Correction for the Minisode:

The video game Life Force is NOT based on the 1985 movie. This 1986 game's original title is "Salamander" in Japan. When the company, Konami, released in the USA, it changed the title to Life Force (note the space) and changed some of the graphics to appear that the spaceship is flying through a bio-organic robotic entity. There was a 1985 arcade game in the USA called Commando, but it has no relation to the Arnold movie.

Salamander is a game in the Gradius series of space shooters by Konami. The plot is about defeating the space invaders of the Bacterium Empire, who are trying to conquer the people of the planet Gradius. Incidentally, Salamander was so popular in Japan that a 3-episode direct-to-video animated series was made based off the games. I own all 3 original Laserdiscs!

Also, Paul is wrong - this game is widely considered to be one of the best 8-bit shoot 'em up games of the 80s.It has excellent graphics, music, and gameplay.

By the way, I saw the 1985 movie Lifeforce on VHS in 1990. I was seven years old, and somehow my parents let me rent it from our local video store. They didn't watch it with me, and now that I look back on it, LIFEFORCE RUINED MY LIFE. I remember the copius nudity and terrifying sexual violence. Now I'm thirty-two years old, I live alone, and I have never been on a single date in my entire life. Is it because Lifeforce traumatized me into thinking that attractive people and sex are attempts to steal my precious lifeforce and turn me into a zombie? I may need to go see a therpist...

• Like 2

Great stuff. I've found the minisodes to be a bit of a slog lately (to the point that I was on the fence about even continuing to listen to them), but if Jason will be appearing regularly, I'm 100% back in.

...Now I'm thirty-two years old, I live alone, and I have never been on a single date in my entire life. Is it because Lifeforce traumatized me into thinking that attractive people and sex are attempts to steal my precious lifeforce and turn me into a zombie? I may need to go see a therpist...

This may be due less to the movie and more to your extensive and encyclopedic knowledge of the game Life Force...

• Like 9

Quick note: If your spaceship is doing gravity by acceleration, you accelerate half way at Earth normal gravity acceleration, flip the ship around and decelerate the rest of the way. That puts you at your destination with zero velocity.

Of course that means periods of zero gravity, especially at your destination.

HDTGM: Miami!

Maybe it's a spinoff just to talk about bad comic movies as there are still sooooooo many to cover. Or HDTGM the TV edition where they talk about cancelled shows that were just bonkers.

HACKERS? is this the one where Angelina Jolie makes out with her brother?

The part where he gets sentenced to not using a computer till his 18th birthday is actually based on the FREE KEVIN dude Kevin Mitnick. Actually quite a bit of this shit-ass movie seems to be based on him.

"CHILL MAN I'M TALKING TO VENEZUELA"

Oh and you can watch HACKERS for free on the youtubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mGqLkVSXY

Everyone knows I've been bitching about 80s movies for a month or so now because I'm a bit burned out on that decade. In the back of my mind, I was REALLY hoping they'd move into the 90s, and they could not have picked a more 90s movie than this one.

I'm so fucking pumped. I don't even know how many times I'm going to watch this between now and next Friday. Holy shit, you guys!

HACKERS? is this the one where Angelina Jolie makes out with her brother?

I'm not sure who you're talking about, but she married Jonny Lee Miller (aka - Crash Override) the year after this movie came out.

• Like 5

I've been trying to get through Hackers all day, the problem is whenever the main character dude isn't on screen, all I can think is, "Where's Poochie?"

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I'm not even ashamed to say that Hackers is one of my favorite movies ever, so I'm pretty stoked it's next week's episode.

HACK THE PLANET!

• Like 4

I've scrolled past Hackers on Netflix a few times lately. Finally have an excuse to watch it again. Isn't this the one where they play a tape recorder into a pay phone to make free phone calls?

I've scrolled past Hackers on Netflix a few times lately. Finally have an excuse to watch it again. Isn't this the one where they play a tape recorder into a pay phone to make free phone calls?

Yep, something you could actually do!

I just wanted to say that I was shocked when Paul said Hackers. Admittedly I might be biased because I was born in 1989 but I love Hackers and no one can tell me differently.

• Like 2

I just wanted to say that I was shocked when Paul said Hackers. Admittedly I might be biased because I was born in 1989 but I love Hackers and no one can tell me differently.

I like it too. But it is kinda laughable now. The ridiculous 90s concept of what computer hacking is.

Also... Angelina Jolie's lips though.... mmmm.

• Like 1

I like it too. But it is kinda laughable now. The ridiculous 90s concept of what computer hacking is.

I love every single thing about Angelina in Hackers.

Her face, her haircut, her wardrobe, her weird accent, her makeup, etc.

I guess I should go watch Hackers for the 1,000th time.

(Fuck, I sound like a creep...)

• Like 1

As I mentioned a long time ago on the suggestion thread, between this and "The Net", the mid-90s was a magical time when Hollywood's vision of someone that spent too much time on a computer was closer to Beyoncé Knowles than Harry Knowles.

• Like 4

Plus the bad guy is the guy who went brown face in Short Circuit.

No matter what he's in, to me he'll always be Mr. The Plague.

• Like 2

Apparently this movie is happening and Jason is in the trailer too

I need to hear about the behind the scenes immediately

• Like 2

I own this movie on DVD. Mostly because of my late night tv watching habits, forced me to go out and buy a copy the next day. Because I didn't make it to the end. This was before PVr's. It's really not that bad of a movie. Mind you I haven't seen it in a long long time. Watching it tonight. I love computer movies cheesy or well done. If war games is on TV then I'm going to watch that.

If you watch the TV program Mr. robot. Then your in for a real treat because there are a lot of references to this film hackers in that tv program. Like the quarter glued to a string to play unlimited video games and blue boxs hacking to make free phone calls. Not that any of those worked by the time this film with made. As well as a lot of 80's teen comedy movies of that genre.

• Like 2

26min mark next time you go to the Apple Store if the guy behind the counter at the Genius Bar isn't wearing sunglasses he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.. By the way that's Penn Gillette.. A Big smile just came on my face.

• Like 2