🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 123.5 - MINISODE 123.5

I own this movie on DVD. Mostly because of my late night tv watching habits, forced me to go out and buy a copy the next day. Because I didn't make it to the end. This was before PVr's. It's really not that bad of a movie. Mind you I haven't seen it in a long long time. Watching it tonight. I love computer movies cheesy or well done. If war games is on TV then I'm going to watch that.

If you watch the TV program Mr. robot. Then your in for a real treat because there are a lot of references to this film hackers in that tv program. Like the quarter glued to a string to play unlimited video games and blue boxs hacking to make free phone calls. Not that any of those worked by the time this film with made. As well as a lot of 80's teen comedy movies of that genre.

If I remember correctly, in "War Games", isn't there a scene where the star of "Deck the Halls" opens a lock or makes a phone call or something by playing back the recorded SOUND, not by actually using the keypad or whatever the actual physical action is that makes the thing work? That would be like if I played the sound of my key turning in the ignition and that alone made my car start.

• Like 2

I've been trying to get through Hackers all day, the problem is whenever the main character dude isn't on screen, all I can think is, "Where's Poochie?"

giphy.gif

The whole movie sounded like it was in some foreign language, and then at the end, the main actor is like...

• Like 2

As I mentioned a long time ago on the suggestion thread, between this and "The Net", the mid-90s was a magical time when Hollywood's vision of someone that spent too much time on a computer was closer to Beyoncé Knowles than Harry Knowles.

Oh, and it's great that my fucking phone automatically adds the accent over the "e" in Beyonce without me asking it to, but then it makes me look like an asshole when a "then" gets out as "thrn" or something...

• Like 1

If there's one thing that's truly out of date from this movie, it's that "America First" news editorial around 6:10 with that talking head promoting his America For Americans-book/hate speech screed. Glad none of THAT kind of thinking goes on anymore, especially in news media.

• Like 3

Me talking to girls in high school:

Female: Do you speak English?

Me: GREAT... COOL... UH, WHAT'S YOUR NAME?

Female: .....I'm going to class.

Shit, you guys, I think I relate to the movie Hackers.

• Like 2

Oh Hackers. Like I needed an excuse to see this movie for like the hundredth time.

Funny story maybe for only me but years ago a friend and I were talking about this movie. He brought up how much he loved the movie and how the music really got him electronica music. I couldn't remember the music at all when he starts to sing it remind me. He then proceeds to start singing the Mortal Kombat music but in place of shouting "Mortal Kombat" proceeds to shout "hack the planet." When I told him that was the Mortal Kombat music he was confused and then called for his girlfriend to come in. He started doing it again and when it came time to shout he pointed at her and she too said "hack the planet." Every time I watch Hackers now I am confused why the Mortal Kombat music is not in it.

• Like 1

Ah finally for the first time in a very long time a movie I've already seen! And what a doozie!

I'm debating whether or not I should rewatch this cause it's so ridiculous. It's been a couple of years though so maybe I should...

• Like 3

Ah finally for the first time in a very long time a movie I've already seen! And what a doozie!

I'm debating whether or not I should rewatch this cause it's so ridiculous. It's been a couple of years though so maybe I should...

I didn't even have to think twice about that. This was one of my sister's favorite movies when we were in high school, and I always thought everything about it was so ridiculous. It's one of the first movies that made me realize that terrible movies could be so entertaining. They could do a whole episode solely on Matthew Lillard's performance.

26min mark next time you go to the Apple Store if the guy behind the counter at the Genius Bar isn't wearing sunglasses he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.. By the way that's Penn Gillette.. A Big smile just came on my face.

This was right after Penn Jillette had a monthly column in PC Computing magazine, so his appearance in this movie isn't as random and out of place as it might seem. Fun fact: he once ran a fake ad in PC Computing for April Fools' Day that had a ridiculous computer deal but was surrounded with a border that said "This is a joke." If anyone called the number in the ad, it would lead to a recorded message of Penn calling them stupid and generally berating them.

A bunch of people thought it was real, and they called in for the deal. Allegedly, someone said they had sold their car to be able to buy the advertised computer and were going to sue them for false advertising.

So, the next year, Penn ran an apology in his column that ended with, "It was an irresponsible, stupid joke. I think we all learned something."

This was followed by full-page ad with an even more ridiculous deal.

• Like 4

I didn't even have to think twice about that. This was one of my sister's favorite movies when we were in high school, and I always thought everything about it was so ridiculous. It's one of the first movies that made me realize that terrible movies could be so entertaining. They could do a whole episode solely on Matthew Lillard's performance.

Ha yes my first reaction was to watch it again but since Thanksgiving is this week I'm really debating on whether or not the ridiculousness is worth setting some time aside lol. Cause I'm about to just bite the bullet and go with Amazon Prime just so I can catch up on a bunch of new releases before the year ends!

• Like 1

I'll be watching this tomorrow, probably on Oxycodone (currently dealing with a kidney stone) Let the games begin!

By the way, worth mentioning that Zouks has a hilarious bit part in The Night Before. I won't say what, just go see it!

If I remember correctly, in "War Games", isn't there a scene where the star of "Deck the Halls" opens a lock or makes a phone call or something by playing back the recorded SOUND, not by actually using the keypad or whatever the actual physical action is that makes the thing work? That would be like if I played the sound of my key turning in the ignition and that alone made my car start.

ohh that's right in the norad building, and then he gave us "Deck the Halls" as James Lipton would gracefully say. I am not sure if that would of really worked, taping the sounds.in the real world it's a tone generator that a guy named captain crunch figured out how to make from a toy in a cereal box, it's talked about a lot by Steve Wozniak who built one and sold them with steve jobs, that was the first apple product. a hack for making free phone calls.

This is really going to turn into tech talk, the show I mean. I so hope june is on this week.

scotty_trek4.jpg

I've never seen this movie and to be honest, seeing Matthew Lillard with braids is actually the scariest thing I think I've ever seen.

I'm so scared of 90's fashion right now.

• Like 4

I'm just going to bring this up again because it needs to be, spinning phone booths.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

I've never seen this movie and to be honest, seeing Matthew Lillard with braids is actually the scariest thing I think I've ever seen.

it's no Electric Dreams.

So That's why he now resides in Twin Peaks.

Maybe early 90s fashion is more your style. I mean look at all those colours!

backwards_caps.png.png?1404131464

Edit: Last one couldn't hotlink so instead enjoy Clarissa explaining 90s fashion to you.

• Like 3

The trick from War Games was to ground the receiver with a pull tab from a soft drink can, which was just supposed to get you a dial tone. No idea if this ever did anything, or was just made up for the movie.

On a 90s nostalgia note, I actually had a discussion with a co-worker a few weeks ago about Another Bad Creation (ABC! GET IT?!?!?), who I probably hadn't even thought of in over two decades. I made sure not to mention them by name too much though, because I think we ALL know what happens if you say their name five times. Don't make me have to remind you. Anyway, enjoy another ABC thang...

• Like 2

On a 90s nostalgia note, I actually had a discussion with a co-worker a few weeks ago about Another Bad Creation (ABC! GET IT?!?!?), who I probably hadn't even thought of in over two decades. I made sure not to mention them by name too much though, because I think we ALL know what happens if you say their name five times. Don't make me have to remind you. Anyway, enjoy another ABC thang...

I honestly did not get that until now. Granted I haven't thought about them since I was like 10. I always seemed to conflate them with Kris Kross though. I think Kris Kross was earlier though.

• Like 1

I honestly did not get that until now. Granted I haven't thought about them since I was like 10. I always seemed to conflate them with Kris Kross though. I think Kris Kross was earlier though.

Yeah, I think Kris Kross was first, and then you had the imitators, but then Kriss Kross didn't last, and none of the wannabes fared any better.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think Kris Kross was first, and then you had the imitators, but then Kriss Kross didn't last, and none of the wannabes fared any better.

I feel like I should be embarrassed by my knowledge of this, but Kriss Kross was discovered in a mall in 1991 and put out their debut album the next year. ABC's first album came out in 1991, but they were around the East Coast hip hip scene before that, as evidenced by the name check in the 1991 (but recorded in 1990) Boyz II Men song "Motownphilly," which includes the lines "Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD [bel Biv Devoe] / the East Coast family."

• Like 2

I found a photo of me as a kid from the mid 90s and I was so in love with the outfit I was wearing, not even gonna lie. If I could somehow replicate that for my adult size now I so would because it's glorious.

• Like 5

Oh, also, I just listened to the minisode (when they come out over the weekend, I usually wait on them until my Monday commute), and I just want to point out Jason's take on Star Wars: "Jedi is a real miss for me."

I'm just going to assume he means because of the Ewoks (aka: the proto-Gungans) and take that to mean that I was empirically right and taylorannephoto was wrong.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Maybe early 90s fashion is more your style. I mean look at all those colours!

backwards_caps.png.png?1404131464

Edit: Last one couldn't hotlink so instead enjoy Clarissa explaining 90s fashion to you.

In the early 90s, I was all Chicago Bulls sweatpants, then heavy metal t-shirts, and comic book characters that were not long for this Earth...

45906_593135305406_1388258_n.jpg?oh=db723fe8d4ffb3387aa8f35b678bcd6d&oe=56E3BAC4

45906_593135290436_6551176_n.jpg?oh=33d79d131ee1096bcf58365ab90a2013&oe=56F180DA

• Like 3

This is a legit fun movie-90s nostalgia hard, for sure. But the characters are so ludicrous they're pretty fun to watch.

• Like 2